Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TR Fan

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby TR Fan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks AdamatUCF, that's very helpful!

Checking in from Section B.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:53 am

AdamatUCF wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:How about:

Johnson
Frakes
Claremont
Mooney
Eisenberg

?

I'm fairly certain Johnson didn't teach last year, so most of us won't know her.

Eisenberg, and maybe Frakes, are new so we won't have much helpful information. Eisenberg replaced the professor who'd been teaching Contracts since prehistory.

I think Johnson taught a small section of 1Ls last year... I remember watching her judge a moot court round, and she made everyone in the room piss themselves for 20 minutes. She is a demon with a gavel and a robe.

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:50 pm

vexion wrote:
AdamatUCF wrote:

Johnson
Frakes
Claremont
Mooney
Eisenberg

?

I'm fairly certain Johnson didn't teach last year, so most of us won't know her.

Eisenberg, and maybe Frakes, are new so we won't have much helpful information. Eisenberg replaced the professor who'd been teaching Contracts since prehistory.

I think Johnson taught a small section of 1Ls last year... I remember watching her judge a moot court round, and she made everyone in the room piss themselves for 20 minutes. She is a demon with a gavel and a robe.

To correct my fellow ex-section B-er, Johnson did not teach last year. She is INCREDIBLY involved with death penalty work in the south, and didnt teach any 1L sections. She did, however, stay very active with the affinity groups and helped run AOP and some study workshops.

From those events, I can tell you that Johnson likes the socratic method, especially going back and forth with one student for a while. She is very quick, funny, and can have a sharp tongue. She is very fair though, and is incredibly candid and straightforward. She will call people out for being gunners, she will call people out for merely voicing their opinion. I wish I would have had her for Con Law, and if you have her class I recommend getting to know her personally, she's amazing.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Big Tuna wrote:

Johnson
Frakes
Claremont
Mooney
Eisenberg

?

You got the best lawyering professor.

This is truthspeak. Mooney knows her shit but doesn't take herself too seriously. You'll learn a lot if you pay attention, and you won't get bogged down with a ridiculously complex memo.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:55 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:

Johnson
Frakes
Claremont
Mooney
Eisenberg

?

Eisenberg isn't new, he just hasn't taught contracts recently, unless they're bringing in a second T. Eisenberg. Eisenberg is very well-respected for his study of the use of empirical data in the law. He clerked for Chief Justice Warren.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:01 am

how many hrs/wk did you guys spend outside of class for the lawyering class?

chatterbox43

Postby chatterbox43 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:36 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:how many hrs/wk did you guys spend outside of class for the lawyering class?

That's going to be entirely dependent on your lawyering professor, and what week of the semester it is. Most weeks? An hour or two, but we had to do Bluebook exercises and a lot of the other sections didn't. The week or two before a memo is due? Every spare hour that I had.

Actually, this is a good time to make this point: do your lawyering assignments as early as you can, and edit edit edit. They give you 4 weeks, more or less, for each big assignment. Use them all. Waiting til the last minute works for some people (maybe), but mostly it will just make you tired and irritable, and your work less good.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:04 pm

how is the tap water in ithaca. should i get a brita or is it delicious? thanks

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:55 pm

How is PI at Cornell? I know Biglaw for NY is huge, but how is PI?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:26 pm

coldshoulder wrote:How is PI at Cornell? I know Biglaw for NY is huge, but how is PI?

they seem to be making an effort but it's not fantastic

FlanAl wrote:how is the tap water in ithaca. should i get a brita or is it delicious? thanks

wouldn't call it delicious

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Does Cornell have a bundle of books you can buy based on your section?

I plan on buying all my books on campus on Wed, and I don't have a way to print out a list of the books I need.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:41 pm

KingRajesh wrote:Does Cornell have a bundle of books you can buy based on your section?

I plan on buying all my books on campus on Wed, and I don't have a way to print out a list of the books I need.

No.

Strategize!!! I know we're past the dark ages but there is still a pen and paper and a list of coursebooks as well as schedules on the registrar website. You can do it!

Asleep

Postby Asleep » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:41 pm

I've heard people talk about assignments for the first day of class in some other threads. Do we have those, and if we do, where can I find those?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Asleep wrote:I've heard people talk about assignments for the first day of class in some other threads. Do we have those, and if we do, where can I find those?

blackboard

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 am

FlanAl wrote:how is the tap water in ithaca. should i get a brita or is it delicious? thanks

It smells of chlorine.
Go for the Brita.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 am

mths wrote:
Asleep wrote:I've heard people talk about assignments for the first day of class in some other threads. Do we have those, and if we do, where can I find those?

blackboard

I know that Dorf's syllabus is in Blackboard already.
Having some fun trying to download it...

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 am

I've been at 2 places so far. One tastes a tiny bit chloriney, and one tastes lakey (old house pipes I'm guessing). Neither one is brown or smells like rotten eggs, which is what I'm used to, so I'm giving the water in Ithaca a pass rating.

BlhBlhBlh

Postby BlhBlhBlh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:18 am

Really a question for a rising 3L or an informed 2L - what are Farina's admin law exams like?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:26 am

BlhBlhBlh wrote:Really a question for a rising 3L or an informed 2L - what are Farina's admin law exams like?

Ten 2-3 paragraph answers, 1 essay based on an article you read in advance. You will be allowed to bring in an "outline" for the essay.

And I am drinking some delicious Ithaca water now.

BlhBlhBlh

Postby BlhBlhBlh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 am

KMaine wrote:
BlhBlhBlh wrote:Really a question for a rising 3L or an informed 2L - what are Farina's admin law exams like?

Ten 2-3 paragraph answers, 1 essay based on an article you read in advance. You will be allowed to bring in an "outline" for the essay.

Thanks. Sounds like a racehorse exam. Was this your experience?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:45 pm

I think so, but the questions are easy to anticipate, so with well-prepared answers you can get a decent grade without being the fastest typist.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 am

KMaine wrote:

Agreed that Ithaca water is delish.

Farina's exam is the least law-schoolish exam I've taken. No fact pattern. No issue spotting. Just "explain XYZ."

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:01 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
KMaine wrote:

Agreed that Ithaca water is delish.

Farina's exam is the least law-schoolish exam I've taken. No fact pattern. No issue spotting. Just "explain XYZ."

All true!

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Does it matter which edition of the book you're getting? Specifically, Con Law by Choper 10th vs. 11th edition. The 10th edition on Half.com is like... 4 dollars.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:23 am

SHANbangs wrote:Does it matter which edition of the book you're getting? Specifically, Con Law by Choper 10th vs. 11th edition. The 10th edition on Half.com is like... 4 dollars.

Generally it does matter, yes. The constitution is a living, breathing document.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”