Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
xl0ollili0l3

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby xl0ollili0l3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:31 pm

What is this hill that everybody is talking about?

How hard is the walk from lower collegetown (about .7 miles away) to the law school? Google says it should take 12 minutes but I keep hearing about an uphill walk/hill. I don't want to walk up a hill and have a 20 minute trip everyday.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:42 pm

and how bad/long is the walk from ithaca commons?

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:20 pm

xl0ollili0l3 wrote:What is this hill that everybody is talking about?

How hard is the walk from lower collegetown (about .7 miles away) to the law school? Google says it should take 12 minutes but I keep hearing about an uphill walk/hill. I don't want to walk up a hill and have a 20 minute trip everyday.

I lived in lower college town last year. You learn to love the hill. You will want a 20minute trip everyday, if for nothing else to break the monotony of the law school and collegetown. Lower collegetown also serves as sort of a midpoint between collegetown and the commons so its not too much of a pain to walk to either on a night out.

xl0ollili0l3

Postby xl0ollili0l3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:28 pm

afghan007 wrote:

I lived in lower college town last year. You learn to love the hill. You will want a 20minute trip everyday, if for nothing else to break the monotony of the law school and collegetown. Lower collegetown also serves as sort of a midpoint between collegetown and the commons so its not too much of a pain to walk to either on a night out.

So it is around a 20 minute walk?

Also if I buy a parking permit for the school, what's the closest place to park? I'm lazy. I don't want to walk 20 minutes some days.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:38 pm

No, its about a 20 min round trip. 12 min uphill. 8 min downhill. Not sure where there are spots - but I'd imagine most are at a 60 degree angle on the hill. There is a garage in collegetown... But I'm not sure what the monthly rate is - about $5/day iirc.

xl0ollili0l3

Postby xl0ollili0l3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:46 pm

afghan007 wrote:No, its about a 20 min round trip. 12 min uphill. 8 min downhill. Not sure where there are spots - but I'd imagine most are at a 60 degree angle on the hill. There is a garage in collegetown... But I'm not sure what the monthly rate is - about $5/day iirc.

This is from lower collegetown right? If .7 mile takes only 12 mins I guess it isn't that big of a hill?

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:48 pm

xl0ollili0l3 wrote:
afghan007 wrote:No, its about a 20 min round trip. 12 min uphill. 8 min downhill. Not sure where there are spots - but I'd imagine most are at a 60 degree angle on the hill. There is a garage in collegetown... But I'm not sure what the monthly rate is - about $5/day iirc.

This is from lower collegetown right? If .7 mile takes only 12 mins I guess it isn't that big of a hill?

My experience is from the south quarry/valentine area. I dont know where you're getting this .7 mile mark from.. But I guess that doesnt sound too far off from where I was

xl0ollili0l3

Postby xl0ollili0l3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:54 pm

afghan007 wrote:
xl0ollili0l3 wrote:

My experience is from the south quarry/valentine area. I dont know where you're getting this .7 mile mark from.. But I guess that doesnt sound too far off from where I was

From google maps. The walking distance showed .7 miles. It's a block or two from south quarry but pretty near valentine.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:31 pm

afghan007 wrote:

you're high

no way anyone enjoys the chapter house hill in 0-20 degree weather (or at any time)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:34 pm

mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:

you're high

no way anyone enjoys the chapter house hill in 0-20 degree weather (or at any time)

I'm living like 3 buildings away from the chapter house. Nice place?

xl0ollili0l3

Postby xl0ollili0l3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:34 pm

mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:

you're high

where is this chapter house hill?

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:50 pm

you're high

YOU'RE HIGH!

xl0ollili0l3

Postby xl0ollili0l3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:40 pm

So is the only hill that insanely steep hill right near myron taylor hall? That doesn't look so bad, I thought the entire road up through collegetown was inclined on a pretty steep uphill path.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:50 pm

THERE'S HILLS AROUND THE LAW SCHOOL. YOU WALK UP THEM. YOU WALK DOWN THEM. JUST GO TO GEORGETOWN ALREADY.

xl0ollili0l3

Postby xl0ollili0l3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Georgetown rejected me...

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:04 pm

CCoolidge wrote:
you're high

YOU'RE HIGH!

YOU'RE DRUNK!

(I hope I'm getting the correct reference)

mths

Postby mths » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:55 pm

CCoolidge wrote:
you're high

YOU'RE HIGH!

LOL

I mesh you

mths

Postby mths » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:56 pm

PinkCow wrote:
CCoolidge wrote:
you're high

YOU'RE HIGH!

YOU'RE DRUNK!

(I hope I'm getting the correct reference)

:lol:

arrested dev ftw

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 am

Hills:

If you live anywhere along Dryden, not really a problem (Side streets are a little steeper but not terribly so)
College Ave below Dryden, not that steep but the side streets can be (Catherine, Cook, Blair)
Anywhere along Buffalo/Seneca/Eddy/Stewart, moderately to very steep
State St and south side streets (S. Quarry, Valentine, etc.), moderately steep but the bus runs along here and you can ride that for FREE 1L
Commons and other streets down there: take the bus, you will be fine, otherwise enjoy hoofing it all the way up Buffalo

Conclusion:

You will get used to it after the first couple weeks of being here in August/September
You will have really nice calves and/or glutes
You will still complain about the hills anyway

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Big Tuna wrote:Hills:

If you live anywhere along Dryden, not really a problem (Side streets are a little steeper but not terribly so)
College Ave below Dryden, not that steep but the side streets can be (Catherine, Cook, Blair)
Anywhere along Buffalo/Seneca/Eddy/Stewart, moderately to very steep
State St and south side streets (S. Quarry, Valentine, etc.), moderately steep but the bus runs along here and you can ride that for FREE 1L
Commons and other streets down there: take the bus, you will be fine, otherwise enjoy hoofing it all the way up Buffalo

Conclusion:

You will get used to it after the first couple weeks of being here in August/September
You will have really nice calves and/or glutes
You will still complain about the hills anyway

thank you

clone22

Postby clone22 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:13 pm

mths wrote:So what was the point of the question?

I saw some other threads where people pretty much listed "if you have ________ do this, this and this, ignore book, focus on lectures, etc"

Was wondering if any current students wanted to be nice and share similar advice :)

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 pm

clone22 wrote:
mths wrote:So what was the point of the question?

I saw some other threads where people pretty much listed "if you have ________ do this, this and this, ignore book, focus on lectures, etc"

Was wondering if any current students wanted to be nice and share similar advice :)

Do ya'll even know what section you're in yet?

Here are some suggestions for people everyone will have:
Hillman (Contracts): Know the facts of the case, or at least have a brief in front of you that has them. Generally the worst thing for his class is not being prepared; it is ok to be wrong as long as you try. Some people say you can skip the book and just read his hornbook; personally I don't think that's a good idea but to each his own. Best practice might be to read the casebook and then read the relevant section of his hornbook after to supplement.

Holden-Smith (Civ Pro): BE PREPARED. She calls on 3-4 people per class, usually at the beginning of class and she will bounce around between those 3-4 throughout the lecture. Once you've been called on you'll likely be safe for a while but that doesn't mean you won't be called on again some other time. This is definitely not a class where you can skip reading, or at the LEAST have someone else's notes at your disposal so you don't make an ass out of yourself.

Clermont (Civ Pro): Much less likely to call on people though this varied from first to second semester (first sem, maybe like 10 people called on all semester, second semester a lot more). You can get by without reading a lot but come the exam you will need to study your ass off because his multiple choice question will reference specific cases a lot. Definitely DO read the Civ Pro Stories assigned, though you can hold off on reading those until finals if you want.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 pm

The differences between the professors are not pronounced enough to make a real impact on anything. If you want to do well, go to class, read the casebook, read the hornbook, and take practice exams. There are no tricks to doing well.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:27 pm

clone22

Postby clone22 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:44 pm

these will be the best 3 years of my life

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”