Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CyLaw

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Skyhook wrote:So, how are the summer positions going?

I actually LOVE my job.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:09 pm

CyLaw wrote:

I actually LOVE my job.

It sounded interesting from the start!

whatchoicetomake

Postby whatchoicetomake » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:36 pm

Last edited by whatchoicetomake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 pm

whatchoicetomake wrote:I'm big into fitness so I am looking into the gyms around the area. What are the semester open and close times of the gyms at Cornell? They currently only have summer hours available. There is a YMCA that is located near where I will be living, but it is more expensive than the Cornell gyms. I would like to workout at the school, but the hours they are open will play a big part as I see classes run until close to 4 most days.

Further, what holidays are the gyms closed? I see they are closed for 4th of july weekend. Are they closed for Thanksgiving? Are they closed all of winter break? Spring break?

Sorry for the douchey sounding questions above. I go crazy if I can't balance mind and body

Fellow enthusiast here (well not so much enthusiast as I like to take N0-Xplode and then throw up in the trashcan. Anyway...)

Normal semester hours are:

Noyes 7 - 11:30 M-F; 11 - 10 S; 12-11:30 Su
Teagle 7 - 10 M-R; 7-8 F; 12-6 S-Su

You can find old versions of web pages using google cache or archive.org. This particular page was from 2010 but I doubt those hours have changed significantly, if at all.

Light

Postby Light » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Can anyone get back to me on the salary info? Like I said, I don't see it on the website >_> Also the employment stats online don't seem to differentiate between full-time and part-time? I'll probably try to call them on Tues if no one knows I guess.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:11 pm

There are no part time students. What exactly are you looking for salary wise?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Light wrote:Can anyone get back to me on the salary info? Like I said, I don't see it on the website >_> Also the employment stats online don't seem to differentiate between full-time and part-time? I'll probably try to call them on Tues if no one knows I guess.

Wut does this even mean. In any case: --LinkRemoved--

Light

Postby Light » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:18 pm

holybartender - I'm not talking about full-time and part-time students, I'm talking about the employment placement statistics on Cornell's website not differentiating between part-time employment and full-time employment. So for example, the site claims about 76% of people are in private practice in 2010. However, what percentage are full time jobs or part time ones is unstated. As for what other salary information I was looking for, I wasn't looking for anything special. I was just seeking basically what is typically reported - the 25th percentile, median, and 75th percentile salaries for each sector of placement. However, I failed to see any salary data of this kind on Cornell's website.

Pinkcow - I apologize for my post being incoherent. Those statistics are helpful, thank you. I do know of LST, I was just requesting confirmation that the relevant statistics are only compiled by that third-party and not actually featured on Cornell's website. Cornell appears to have placement data on just about every single graduate but they are vague and no salary data reported. LST is really helpful clearing that up but still it appears there are portions of the class unaccounted for.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Light wrote:holybartender - I'm not talking about full-time and part-time students, I'm talking about the employment placement statistics on Cornell's website not differentiating between part-time employment and full-time employment. So for example, the site claims about 76% of people are in private practice in 2010. However, what percentage are full time jobs or part time ones is unstated. As for what other salary information I was looking for, I wasn't looking for anything special. I was just seeking basically what is typically reported - the 25th percentile, median, and 75th percentile salaries for each sector of placement. However, I failed to see any salary data of this kind on Cornell's website.

Pinkcow - I apologize for my post being incoherent. Those statistics are helpful, thank you. I do know of LST, I was just requesting confirmation that the relevant statistics are only compiled by that third-party and not actually featured on Cornell's website. Cornell appears to have placement data on just about every single graduate but they are vague and no salary data reported. LST is really helpful clearing that up but still it appears there are portions of the class unaccounted for.

Any salary statistics would be somewhat misleading anyway. Many alumni don't think how much money they are making is the school's business (or anyone's, really).

memoryl0ss

Postby memoryl0ss » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:55 pm

How are the cell phone carriers up there? Any difference between the cell coverage between Verizon, At&t, and T-Mobile?

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:02 pm

memoryl0ss wrote:How are the cell phone carriers up there? Any difference between the cell coverage between Verizon, At&t, and T-Mobile?

Yeah I'm thinking about switching from sprint to t-mobile, esp. because AT&T is about to buy them. Anyone have t-mobile?

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 am

CyLaw wrote:

I actually LOVE my job.

So what is the most interesting about it?

Anyone else got any info about how their summer position is going?

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Guess everyone is enjoying their summer position so much they don't have time to be on the forum!

Anyway, my car needs tires pretty soon.
Do you guys use snowtires up in Ithaca?
Do people put tirechains on come wintertime?

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Skyhook wrote:Guess everyone is enjoying their summer position so much they don't have time to be on the forum!

Anyway, my car needs tires pretty soon.
Do you guys use snowtires up in Ithaca?
Do people put tirechains on come wintertime?

not necessary but suggested; no

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Skyhook wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

I actually LOVE my job.

So what is the most interesting about it?

Sorry, was busy writing up a blog post for work about the same topic.

Most interesting is working directly with clients and actually seeing the result of my work. Also, I really like that I get to apply the research skills I learned at Cornell to systems other than Westlaw and Lexis. The military has their own set of regulations, and most of the research I do is paper based, searching through stacks of regs. I'm really glad that my lawyering research prof taught me how to do paper based research.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Skyhook: it's been pretty enjoyable if not a little solitary. I'm externing for a judge. I spend eight hours a day in a room writing memos, bits of opinions, and researching odd things that the clerks ask for. It's intellectually pretty cool stuff, but I actually haven't been in a courtroom yet haha.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:32 pm

holybartender wrote:Skyhook: it's been pretty enjoyable if not a little solitary. I'm externing for a judge. I spend eight hours a day in a room writing memos, bits of opinions, and researching odd things that the clerks ask for. It's intellectually pretty cool stuff, but I actually haven't been in a courtroom yet haha.

Do they have a courtroom where you are?

Don't go and choke on some malibu now.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 am

So I am having a really hard time finding places to rent (1 bedroom/studio) within walking distance of the school. Almost everything online at this point is just for sublets. There are a few options but most seem kinda pricey. Are all the apartments for fall taken or will a bunch open up over the next few weeks? How much should I expect to pay for a 1bdr/studio?

i'm sure something like this has already been answered earlier in the thread but if I could get a quick response I would greatly appreciate it!

thanks a ton!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:50 am

oh and any tips on getting from the commons to the law school? is there a bus up that hill or anything?

thanks again!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:54 am

FlanAl wrote:So I am having a really hard time finding places to rent (1 bedroom/studio) within walking distance of the school. Almost everything online at this point is just for sublets. There are a few options but most seem kinda pricey. Are all the apartments for fall taken or will a bunch open up over the next few weeks? How much should I expect to pay for a 1bdr/studio?

i'm sure something like this has already been answered earlier in the thread but if I could get a quick response I would greatly appreciate it!

thanks a ton!

Depends on what you mean by walking distance. If you mean no more than a 10 minute walk, you may want to check out [url]ctownrentals.com[/url]. We looked at a few of their places and, while pretty expensive, I doubt you can beat the location. I'd give you prices but I guess I deleted them. Expect a minimum of $1300 for a 1br, usually including most things (no parking).

Also, the guy who manages the properties seems pretty fair and willing to work with you somewhat RE: price.

It looks like they still have some available. The Dryden Rd. ones weren't too bad. Don't expect much though.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:35 am

CyLaw wrote:most of the research I do is paper based, searching through stacks of regs. I'm really glad that my lawyering research prof taught me how to do paper based research.

Oh god, never tell Mills this. He'll be impossible for 1Ls to live with if he hears this. :shock: He might cut the last vestiges of any westlaw/lexis training out of the research classes entirely.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:45 am

My landlord is pretty chill, PPM Homes, though I don't know if they have anything left that fits your criteria. Also check http://www.padmapper.com regularly- you can set it up to give you notifications if there's a post that fits your criteria.

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:18 pm

memoryl0ss wrote:How are the cell phone carriers up there? Any difference between the cell coverage between Verizon, At&t, and T-Mobile?

Anyone?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:29 pm

equalityLaw10 wrote:

Anyone?

I use ATT and don't have any issues. Verizon is supposedly good also.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:32 pm

equalityLaw10 wrote:

Anyone?

AT&T was good when I visited, not sure how the others stack up.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”