Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:01 pm

mths wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:
mths wrote:
memoryl0ss wrote:I recall reading somewhere in this thread that internet connection in the law school building is spotty (feel free to correct me if I am thinking of a different thread). IF this is the case, how are exams taken at Cornell?
It's not spotty there is just no connection in the classrooms.
they do this so people don't screw around on gchat or something?
Yes. No one really minds though. Classes are only 55 minutes and it really is helpful not to be online shopping/reading the news/ect. while the professor is teaching really complex shit.

We mostly fail at being good students by setting up Macbook bonjour networks and talking that way though...
lol @ anything in LS being characterized as "really complex shit."

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
clone22 wrote:
mths wrote:
sjsteece wrote:Schedules are up on the registrar's website. I think the first class for 1Ls starts at 8:45, depending on your section. Contracts and Civ Pro are all year, but you have finals in December like all your other classes and change professors in the spring.
SUCKERS!
do people actually show up to their 8:45 classes?
Just the people who want jobs after law school.
Don't lie to the 1Ls

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:50 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote: lol @ anything in LS being characterized as "really complex shit."
no one asked you S

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:47 pm

sjsteece wrote:Schedules are up on the registrar's website. I think the first class for 1Ls starts at 8:45, depending on your section. Contracts and Civ Pro are all year, but you have finals in December like all your other classes and change professors in the spring.
Can someone provide the link?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Skyhook wrote:
https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... ptions.cfm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Skyhook wrote:
Thanks.

Looks like the last class will finish at 3.25 or 3.45pm.
Why the early start?

Anyone know when we find out which section of lawyering we are in?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Skyhook wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Skyhook wrote:
Thanks.

Looks like the last class will finish at 3.25 or 3.45pm.
Why the early start?

Anyone know when we find out which section of lawyering we are in?
Sections aren't for a bit, I believe. And early start because come october the sun sets at like 4pm.*

*slight exageration

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Arbiter213 wrote: Sections aren't for a bit, I believe. And early start because come october the sun sets at like 4pm.*

*slight exageration
I'm really* going to miss Florida come October.

*no exaggeration

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:42 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
clone22 wrote:
mths wrote: SUCKERS!
do people actually show up to their 8:45 classes?
nope. blanket statement is overbroad.
Well, obviously. But it's meant to convey that 1L grades are important and jobs are still relatively scarce. Most (but not all) people want jobs badly enough that they attend their early morning classes. Not saying that people who don't necessarily do worse, just saying starting out assuming you'll do well enough to get a job while frequently missing a class is pretty ill-advised, and has led numerous acquaintances to joblessness.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Got the "Forcible Touching" campus alert this morning. And it was exactly what it sounded like... :wink:

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 am

Hey I'm from Florida, I'll probably be attending this fall since Cornell matched Georgetown's aid for me. I've been looking on Cornell's website but I can't seem to find salary data for 2010/2009. I found the placement data but not specifically the salary data. Can someone kindly link me to where I can find this data?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:30 am

PinkCow wrote:Got the "Forcible Touching" campus alert this morning. And it was exactly what it sounded like... :wink:
we have about 3 forcible touchings per month

get used to those

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
clone22 wrote: do people actually show up to their 8:45 classes?
Well, obviously. But it's meant to convey that 1L grades are important and jobs are still relatively scarce. Most (but not all) people want jobs badly enough that they attend their early morning classes. Not saying that people who don't necessarily do worse, just saying starting out assuming you'll do well enough to get a job while frequently missing a class is pretty ill-advised, and has led numerous acquaintances to joblessness.
THOUGHTFUL RESPONSE: there's obviously nothing inaccurate about this post. i only responded earlier because I think, especially 1L year, there's too much emphasis placed on how much you're working, how you've been to (ZOMG!) every single class, how you're reading hornbook sections in advance. One disadvantage to this type of emphasis is burnout. I know very smart people at several top schools who worked themselves to the hilt all semester, 8AM to 10AM 6 days a week, and then completely hit the wall and had a terrible showing on their finals. In any case, the work hard = do well herd mindset is what lulls people into an unthinking grind that often rewards them only with straight median grades. And so I think constantly reinforcing that mindset is to a certain extent doing 1Ls a disservice. Everyone needs to figure it out for themselves.

GLIB RESPONSE: Going to an 8:45 Conlaw when you can read Chemerinsky on your own instead is just a laughable use of your time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 am

Kind of a stupid question, but for those of you off campus, do you have any opinions/recommendations on internet providers? It seems only Verizon and TWC are available out here, and I'm not sure which to go with. I've heard bad things about both.

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:19 pm

PinkCow wrote:Kind of a stupid question, but for those of you off campus, do you have any opinions/recommendations on internet providers? It seems only Verizon and TWC are available out here, and I'm not sure which to go with. I've heard bad things about both.
I have Verizon, can't speak about the other one.
Seems ok, nothing special.
I would probably just look at the cost and go with the cheaper one, unless data rates are markedly different.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:26 pm

PinkCow wrote:Kind of a stupid question, but for those of you off campus, do you have any opinions/recommendations on internet providers? It seems only Verizon and TWC are available out here, and I'm not sure which to go with. I've heard bad things about both.
TWC often has good package deals if you also need TV/phone. I had DSL 1 year when I lived in Ithaca and didn't like it as much as all the years I had TWC. TWC is also good at negotiating if you call them and tell them you want to cancel because it's too expensive.

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:07 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote: THOUGHTFUL RESPONSE: there's obviously nothing inaccurate about this post. i only responded earlier because I think, especially 1L year, there's too much emphasis placed on how much you're working, how you've been to (ZOMG!) every single class, how you're reading hornbook sections in advance. One disadvantage to this type of emphasis is burnout. I know very smart people at several top schools who worked themselves to the hilt all semester, 8AM to 10AM 6 days a week, and then completely hit the wall and had a terrible showing on their finals. In any case, the work hard = do well herd mindset is what lulls people into an unthinking grind that often rewards them only with straight median grades. And so I think constantly reinforcing that mindset is to a certain extent doing 1Ls a disservice. Everyone needs to figure it out for themselves.

GLIB RESPONSE: Going to an 8:45 Conlaw when you can read Chemerinsky on your own instead is just a laughable use of your time.
This is all correct. Law school isn't built on a linear graph of hours worked corresponding to grades. You need to keep yourself sane. Best advice I can give is find what works for you and stick with it. Don't let other people influence your study habits. If you find that you understand a night's reading sufficiently well in an hour (or 45 minutes, or an hour and a half) then don't just read it longer because you feel like you're supposed to. Very little in law school is all that difficult, it's just a matter of dealing with it all at the same time.

You should try to go to class but if you miss some it's not a big deal. I found Con Law to be really interesting in my small section with Shiffrin so we had some pretty fun discussions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Quite a few floridians here. Cheers.

Question to the current students: what are all these forcible touching emails about? You guys got serial gropers up there?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:18 pm

clone22 wrote: Question to the current students: what are all these forcible touching emails about? You guys got serial gropers up there?
Yep. But I would have thought most of them were at their 1L summer jobs right now.

Asleep

New

Post by Asleep » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

If I were to go on the meal plan, how far is it to an all-you-can eat dining hall from the law school? Also, do many (any) law students get the meal plan?

-0L with a hearty appetite and no cooking skills

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Asleep wrote:If I were to go on the meal plan, how far is it to an all-you-can eat dining hall from the law school? Also, do many (any) law students get the meal plan?

-0L with a hearty appetite and no cooking skills
5 min walk to 3 of the dining halls. They are pretty good. A few of us that lived in Hughes had a 10 or 14 meals per week plan. There is an option for around $500 Big Red Bucks (used to buy food on campus) and 10 meals per semester that a lot of people I knew had.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:29 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote: Just the people who want jobs after law school.
THOUGHTFUL RESPONSE: there's obviously nothing inaccurate about this post. i only responded earlier because I think, especially 1L year, there's too much emphasis placed on how much you're working, how you've been to (ZOMG!) every single class, how you're reading hornbook sections in advance. One disadvantage to this type of emphasis is burnout. I know very smart people at several top schools who worked themselves to the hilt all semester, 8AM to 10AM 6 days a week, and then completely hit the wall and had a terrible showing on their finals. In any case, the work hard = do well herd mindset is what lulls people into an unthinking grind that often rewards them only with straight median grades. And so I think constantly reinforcing that mindset is to a certain extent doing 1Ls a disservice. Everyone needs to figure it out for themselves.
I agree with this completely, and am not a work hard = do well person myself. But I do think going to class for a lot of people tends to be pretty (most?) important and isn't the equivalent of studying til 10:00 PM every night or poring over hornbooks.

For 1Ls - yeah, seriously, don't let people talking about how much they are working (or 2Ls or 3Ls talking about how much they worked) freak you out. If it's suddenly the beginning of December and all your classmates are talking about their awesome outlines and you haven't starting outlining yet, don't panic (this happened to me). Outlines with everything you need to know take 2-3 days to write, and you'll have two days before each final. Alternatively, some people just get outlines from others, and that works for them.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote: For 1Ls - yeah, seriously, don't let people talking about how much they are working (or 2Ls or 3Ls talking about how much they worked) freak you out. If it's suddenly the beginning of December and all your classmates are talking about their awesome outlines and you haven't starting outlining yet, don't panic (this happened to me). Outlines with everything you need to know take 2-3 days to write, and you'll have two days before each final. Alternatively, some people just get outlines from others, and that works for them.

Thank you for this. It's nice to hear that not everybody follows the "if you aren't studying until your eyes bleed, you are wrong".

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 am

clone22 wrote: do people actually show up to their 8:45 classes?
no

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:09 pm

So, how are the summer positions going?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”