Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
theturkeyisfat

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 pm

mths wrote:
memoryl0ss wrote:I recall reading somewhere in this thread that internet connection in the law school building is spotty (feel free to correct me if I am thinking of a different thread). IF this is the case, how are exams taken at Cornell?

It's not spotty there is just no connection in the classrooms.

they do this so people don't screw around on gchat or something?

mths

Postby mths » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:28 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
mths wrote:
memoryl0ss wrote:I recall reading somewhere in this thread that internet connection in the law school building is spotty (feel free to correct me if I am thinking of a different thread). IF this is the case, how are exams taken at Cornell?

It's not spotty there is just no connection in the classrooms.

they do this so people don't screw around on gchat or something?

Yes. No one really minds though. Classes are only 55 minutes and it really is helpful not to be online shopping/reading the news/ect. while the professor is teaching really complex shit.

We mostly fail at being good students by setting up Macbook bonjour networks and talking that way though...

memoryl0ss

Postby memoryl0ss » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:35 am

I am looking at apartments later this week. I am looking at places close to campus as well as further out along the bus lines.

How is the location of Stewart Avenue just south of the intersection of Campus Road. Is the trek from there to the law school far or uphill?

And how about Cayuga Heights. The apartments I would be looking at are right along the Route 31 bus line. How is the bus service when the snow arrives as I know it will. And if I am understanding the bus route correctly, it should drop off right near the law school.

Lastly, Farm Street at the intersectin of Linn Street. Is the mile to school walkable?

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 am

memoryl0ss wrote:I am looking at apartments later this week. I am looking at places close to campus as well as further out along the bus lines.

How is the location of Stewart Avenue just south of the intersection of Campus Road. Is the trek from there to the law school far or uphill?

And how about Cayuga Heights. The apartments I would be looking at are right along the Route 31 bus line. How is the bus service when the snow arrives as I know it will. And if I am understanding the bus route correctly, it should drop off right near the law school.

Lastly, Farm Street at the intersectin of Linn Street. Is the mile to school walkable?

I wouldn't go further than stewart and that's already too far for me (and there is a MASSIVE hill)

A mile to school is not walkable 8 months out of the year.

Buses run pretty well in the snow but it sucks being far from campus when you want to hang out with people.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:38 am

mths wrote:
memoryl0ss wrote:I am looking at apartments later this week. I am looking at places close to campus as well as further out along the bus lines.

I wouldn't go further than stewart and that's already too far for me (and there is a MASSIVE hill)

Buses run pretty well in the snow but it sucks being far from campus when you want to hang out with people.

Is the hill and the weather that bad? (honest question, I have yet to visit Ithaca, but I'm visiting very soon and will know for myself)

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 am

mths wrote:

Maybe I'm just used to a hilly campus or something, but I've been here for the past few weeks and, honestly, the hill to school isn't THAT bad. It's just a big long hill. If you're in moderate shape (see: not hugely obese or terribly asthmatic), it's just a hill.

I've already taken the trek many times from lower Commons to the law school and true it's not that fun, but it's not much beyond annoying. Buy some boots in the winter, maybe some if those little slip on cleat things for ice, and you'll be fine. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to walking, so I personally wouldn't want to be more than half a mile or so down that hill, but a mile is doable, just a bit of a hassle.

To each his/her own I guess though. Maybe I'm just used to walking 20 minutes uphill to class. If that's not your bag, live closer I guess. But come on, it's not like a mountain trail in Tibet or something.

ETA: For reference, I come from a place with very similar weather to Ithaca, so I may be biased about the snow.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 am

Wait until Winter & icy walkways.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 am

kehoema2 wrote:
mths wrote:

Is the hill and the weather that bad? (honest question, I have yet to visit Ithaca, but I'm visiting very soon and will know for myself)

It's a solid 20 degrees for about 5-6 straight months and it dips waaaay below (we went to -17 Fahrenheit this year) in december january and february. Also, it snowed up till the end of march this year.

This is what you'll be seeing for a good chunk of your time here:

I agree with the poster above that the hills aren't terrible when it's decent out but I don't know a single person who walked to the commons once the snow fell. If you're planning on living further from campus, plan to drive/bus cause high winds in 10-20 degree weather will wear you out pretty quick.

In sum, it's FUCKING COLD.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:17 pm

So you're saying I should buy a coat?

whatchoicetomake

Postby whatchoicetomake » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Last edited by whatchoicetomake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devila_C

Postby Devila_C » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Lockers - yes you get a coat locker, which u share with one other person but most people don't use it anyways. And you get a book locker all to yourself. Unless you live in Hughes (dorm) then u don't get anything.

Winter/location/walking - the hill sucks personally. I don't really walk up the hill during the week. I live pretty close to the commons, on state street and have to walk up the hill to get to the law school. It's a bit of a workout and I'd rather not be sweaty and panting when I get to class in the morning. So I take the bus. I love living right on the bus route. Generally the buses are very on time. During the winter, if they're not on time, it's because there's a huge blizzard and school's likely delayed for a couple hours anyways (happened twice this year).

That said, other people live down in the commons area and walk up the hill quite regularly. So it's up to you, but a lot of people figure out the bus routes and start taking the buses regularly every morning.

And yes buy a coat..or two..rain boots and snow boots (if you're afraid of the snow). Rains a lot in Ithaca too. You'll figure that out pretty quickly in August/Sept.

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:56 am

I live on Linn (although four or so blocks down from Farm) and I generally either catch a ride (there are a number of people who live in Fall Creek) or just walk up to Linn and University and catch the bus -- it runs every 6 or so minutes. I also know people who bike up the hill from Fall Creek. Or you can put your bike on the bus, and ride down (I'm thinking of trying that myself.)

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:02 pm

How far of a walk/run is it from the Law Building to the nearest gym?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:27 am

KingRajesh wrote:How far of a walk/run is it from the Law Building to the nearest gym?

Noyes is technically closest (about 7 minute walk Northwest of LS), but Teagle seems to have the best facilities and it's only a couple minutes farther (Northeast). I may be wrong, but from the website's minimal description, those seem like your best bets.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:03 am

PinkCow wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:How far of a walk/run is it from the Law Building to the nearest gym?

Noyes is technically closest (about 7 minute walk Northwest of LS), but Teagle seems to have the best facilities and it's only a couple minutes farther (Northeast). I may be wrong, but from the website's minimal description, those seem like your best bets.

Correct. I personally use Noyes. Expect to wait in line to use weights at any gym, especially around dinner time or later. I would normally go right after class and never had to wait for cardio, and it did not seem like there were that many people doing weights at the time.

Also, when it is nice out, there is some nice trails around the law school for running.

whatchoicetomake

Postby whatchoicetomake » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Last edited by whatchoicetomake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:39 pm

what are the first/second semester classes?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:59 pm

Also, are any first year classes year long, or are all just one semester courses ?

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Schedules are up on the registrar's website. I think the first class for 1Ls starts at 8:45, depending on your section. Contracts and Civ Pro are all year, but you have finals in December like all your other classes and change professors in the spring.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 pm

sjsteece wrote:Schedules are up on the registrar's website. I think the first class for 1Ls starts at 8:45, depending on your section. Contracts and Civ Pro are all year, but you have finals in December like all your other classes and change professors in the spring.

SUCKERS!

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:26 pm

sjsteece wrote:Schedules are up on the registrar's website. I think the first class for 1Ls starts at 8:45, depending on your section. Contracts and Civ Pro are all year, but you have finals in December like all your other classes and change professors in the spring.

All the 1Ls have a a hour and fifteen min class at 8:45 M-W this year

clone22

Postby clone22 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:40 pm

mths wrote:

SUCKERS!

do people actually show up to their 8:45 classes?

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:54 pm

clone22 wrote:
mths wrote:

SUCKERS!

Just the people who want jobs after law school.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:25 pm

mths wrote:

SUCKERS!

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
clone22 wrote:
mths wrote:

SUCKERS!

Just the people who want jobs after law school.

nope. blanket statement is overbroad.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”