Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mths

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mths » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 am

PinkCow wrote:
Trololololololololololol

In other news, does anybody have/recommend renter's insurance? I hear Ithaca in general is very safe, but, statistically, there's a ton of reported larceny. I probably have more theft-worthy things than your average bear, so just curious.

I left my apartment unlocked all weekend cause I didn't have the right keys.

Other than some forcible touching on occasion, you should be fine in ithaca.

mbw

Postby mbw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:28 pm

mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
Trololololololololololol

In other news, does anybody have/recommend renter's insurance? I hear Ithaca in general is very safe, but, statistically, there's a ton of reported larceny. I probably have more theft-worthy things than your average bear, so just curious.

I actually don't know where I put the keys to our house when we rented it 18 months ago. Our car is a different story, however, as our street is constantly plagued by people rummaging through open vehicles for spare change (in the winter you can follow the footsteps in the snow as they go from car to car, all the way down the street.)

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Something Cornell applicants might want to know next year:
Just called Gannett Health Services, if you're not participating in varsity sports, you don't need a physical. You still need to fill out the health forms (leaving the physical examination portion blank). Talk to Louane, she can confirm the information.
(607)255-5155

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Ikki wrote:Something Cornell applicants might want to know next year:
Just called Gannett Health Services, if you're not participating in varsity sports, you don't need a physical. You still need to fill out the health forms (leaving the physical examination portion blank). Talk to Louane, she can confirm the information.
(607)255-5155

You're awesome.

Also, already had my physical for it.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ikki wrote:Something Cornell applicants might want to know next year:
(607)255-5155

You're awesome.

Also, already had my physical for it.

Now you have a good excuse to join Lacrosse or some other sport :P

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Tag

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 pm

mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
Trololololololololololol

Just remember, renter's insurance covers things other than theft. Fire, busted water pipe/heating pipe, litigious guests who get injured at your "we survived (insert random 1L assignment/event here)" party, etc... It also usually offers protection for things that you might carry with you (laptop, ipod, etc). Renter's insurance is cheap, replacing all your stuff is not.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:40 pm

danidancer wrote:
mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
Trololololololololololol

Just remember, renter's insurance covers things other than theft. Fire, busted water pipe/heating pipe, litigious guests who get injured at your "we survived (insert random 1L assignment/event here)" party, etc... It also usually offers protection for things that you might carry with you (laptop, ipod, etc). Renter's insurance is cheap, replacing all your stuff is not.

True that. I'll probably get it just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the opinions.

How about another slightly un-law related question. For those of you on the school's health insurance, how do you feel about it? I'm going with it - premiums are about double what I pay now, but it seems like I might actually not have to pay for every little thing. Are visits to Gannet free?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Did anyone have any luck appealing the requirement that we buy the school's insurance?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:48 pm

PinkCow wrote:True that. I'll probably get it just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the opinions.

How about another slightly un-law related question. For those of you on the school's health insurance, how do you feel about it? I'm going with it - premiums are about double what I pay now, but it seems like I might actually not have to pay for every little thing. Are visits to Gannet free?

NYS health insurance is crazy expensive. The Cornell policy is probably the cheapest you'll find. Prescription coverage is pretty good too - I pay less for mine under the Cornell plan than I did under my (really good) policy from my old job.

I think Gannet co-pays are $20? I've had pretty positive experiences at Gannet so far - nothing to write home about, but they're definitely a lot better than my undergrad health services.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:32 am

how chilled out are cornell and ithaca in general? i don't know why but i could see it being like a weird berkeley type place in the middle of no where. is it pretty laid back and farmers markety or does the competitive academic vibe just kinda make it really intense?

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Did anyone have any luck appealing the requirement that we buy the school's insurance?

I appealed just fine. I'm still on my Dad's healthcare through his employer (thank you Obamacare, dependent until 24). Dad's premiums were a lot cheaper.

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:45 pm

FlanAl wrote:how chilled out are cornell and ithaca in general? i don't know why but i could see it being like a weird berkeley type place in the middle of no where. is it pretty laid back and farmers markety or does the competitive academic vibe just kinda make it really intense?

Ithaca as a city is very liberal and hippie-esque. They have mandatory recycling and trash tags you have to pay for ($3.50 for every non-recyclable bag of trash). There are tons of head shops and handmade jewelry shops, and a pretty nice farmer's market.

Cornell as a university, and the law school especially, is still very competitive, very intense academically. You can expect to find people studying there 8 hours a day. But still, because of the small size of the law school and the location, we're very congenial. I've never heard of anyone ripping pages out of books or anything. Now, townies stealing books out of lockers...

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:20 pm

vexion wrote:
FlanAl wrote:how chilled out are cornell and ithaca in general? i don't know why but i could see it being like a weird berkeley type place in the middle of no where. is it pretty laid back and farmers markety or does the competitive academic vibe just kinda make it really intense?

Ithaca as a city is very liberal and hippie-esque. They have mandatory recycling and trash tags you have to pay for ($3.50 for every non-recyclable bag of trash). There are tons of head shops and handmade jewelry shops, and a pretty nice farmer's market.

Cornell as a university, and the law school especially, is still very competitive, very intense academically. You can expect to find people studying there 8 hours a day. But still, because of the small size of the law school and the location, we're very congenial. I've never heard of anyone ripping pages out of books or anything. Now, townies stealing books out of lockers...

Go on...

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:24 pm

How much do you guys study?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:How much do you guys study?

Leading up to exams, I studied from about 5:30 till 8 Sun-Thursday. During the exam period, I studied each day from about 2:30 til 10.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 am

CyLaw wrote:

Leading up to exams, I studied from about 5:30 till 8 Sun-Thursday. During the exam period, I studied each day from about 2:30 til 10.

5:30 AM or 5:30 PM?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:12 am

vexion wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Did anyone have any luck appealing the requirement that we buy the school's insurance?

I appealed just fine. I'm still on my Dad's healthcare through his employer (thank you Obamacare, dependent until 24). Dad's premiums were a lot cheaper.

Thanks, good to hear. I'm also still on my dad's health insurance and would loooove to save $1,800.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:42 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

5:30 AM or 5:30 PM?

:)

All times were pm

vexion

Postby vexion » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:31 am

PinkCow wrote:
vexion wrote:

Go on...

Last semester some textbooks were stolen from coat lockers, and found to have been sold for cash. The guy got caught and we got our books back. Just remember to put a lock on your locker.

mths

Postby mths » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Till about 9pm starting after class on regular days. 2-8 on weekends.

Exam period is different though. Noon to probably 10 or 11.

memoryl0ss

Postby memoryl0ss » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:33 pm

I recall reading somewhere in this thread that internet connection in the law school building is spotty (feel free to correct me if I am thinking of a different thread). IF this is the case, how are exams taken at Cornell?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm

memoryl0ss wrote:I recall reading somewhere in this thread that internet connection in the law school building is spotty (feel free to correct me if I am thinking of a different thread). IF this is the case, how are exams taken at Cornell?

You take the exam on your laptop, then head to the library or student lounge to connect to wifi and upload

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:10 pm

So my girlfriend is gonna be in Philly for the next 5 or so years. Anyone know the best way to go between the two if neither of us has a car so we're not limited to airplanes and breaks?

mths

Postby mths » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:31 pm

memoryl0ss wrote:I recall reading somewhere in this thread that internet connection in the law school building is spotty (feel free to correct me if I am thinking of a different thread). IF this is the case, how are exams taken at Cornell?

It's not spotty there is just no connection in the classrooms.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”