Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ikki

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Ikki » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 pm

CyLaw wrote:
FlanAl wrote:hey thanks man. who do you kick it with when you aren't hanging out with other law students if the grad community is weak?
thanks again

Most law students only hang out with other law students. You will understand why when you start, but in short other people don't like law students and law students feel stressed by other people. During the week you will spend the vast majority of your time in class or reading for class, particularly at the beginning before you get into the grove of skimming cases. Thus on the weekends, you normally hang our with classmates since you don't know anyone else.

Some people have non-law school friends and say it helps with their sanity. They meet these people at various activities on campus, like going to the gym. Also, Tell Grad Its Fridays is dollar beers at the Big Red Barn where only grad students may go. You could meet other grad students there.

Expect the vast majority of your social network to be law students, since you will readily know a lot of them.

Why are law students disliked?

cubbycake725

Postby cubbycake725 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi, thanks for answering questions.

I've noticed Civ Pro and Contracts are year long courses. How are the exams for these courses? 1) Do you take exams at the end of each semester and 2) if you do take two exams, is the second one cumulative? (does the year-end exam cover course materials for the whole year or just what you learned during the second semester?) 3) Do you get grades for both semesters or is it just one letter grade for the entire year?

Thanks!

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:42 pm

Ikki wrote:Why are law students disliked?

Law students are neurotic and their neurosis is infectious.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:43 pm

cubbycake725 wrote:Hi, thanks for answering questions.

I've noticed Civ Pro and Contracts are year long courses. How are the exams for these courses? 1) Do you take exams at the end of each semester and 2) if you do take two exams, is the second one cumulative? (does the year-end exam cover course materials for the whole year or just what you learned during the second semester?) 3) Do you get grades for both semesters or is it just one letter grade for the entire year?

Thanks!

They are independant classes. You get seperate grades for each and have seperate exams. They are cumulative only in the sense that you generally need knowledge from the previous one to understand the second semester material. But the first semester is not directly tested.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Ikki wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
FlanAl wrote:hey thanks man. who do you kick it with when you aren't hanging out with other law students if the grad community is weak?
thanks again

Most law students only hang out with other law students. You will understand why when you start, but in short other people don't like law students and law students feel stressed by other people. During the week you will spend the vast majority of your time in class or reading for class, particularly at the beginning before you get into the grove of skimming cases. Thus on the weekends, you normally hang our with classmates since you don't know anyone else.

Some people have non-law school friends and say it helps with their sanity. They meet these people at various activities on campus, like going to the gym. Also, Tell Grad Its Fridays is dollar beers at the Big Red Barn where only grad students may go. You could meet other grad students there.

Expect the vast majority of your social network to be law students, since you will readily know a lot of them.

See Facebook page for Exhibit A.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Ikki wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
thanks again

See Facebook page for Exhibit A.

:lol:

I really laughed out loud at work right now, thank you very much.
Some of those girls are passable though.

Oh wait, you're talking about the guy freaking out because he wants to find out what textbooks we're using? Or the Asian chick that was afraid to matriculate because "Cornell is in such a retired (and cold!) place where there is nothing else to do but study and that the suicide rate of college students at Cornell is highest of all the U.S. colleges."

mths

Postby mths » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Ikki wrote:Why are law students disliked?

you'll see

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Ikki wrote:

Oh wait, you're talking about the guy freaking out because he wants to find out what textbooks we're using? Or the Asian chick that was afraid to matriculate because "Cornell is in such a retired (and cold!) place where there is nothing else to do but study and that the suicide rate of college students at Cornell is highest of all the U.S. colleges."

mths

Postby mths » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ikki wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

died

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:16 pm

mths wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Ikki wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

died

not ideal

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:47 pm

I was more just going off of the fact that there is an uber stressed and anxiously serious vibe and we're still months away...Good times will be had by all... :?

In other news, I was finally able to find an apartment close to the LS that wasn't a complete hovel. Only took looking at 15+ other places.

"Success!"

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ikki wrote:

Sorry if I inadvertently insulted your great looks.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:30 pm

I would say that's straight up creeper status, but it worked.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Ikki wrote:

Are you kidding, I'm the ugliest fucker in that group by a wide margin. I'm just pointing out that in a class of 200 people, it's probably considered a social faux pas to be "that guy" who openly made fun of specific people in a public venue.

To keep this thread on-topic: Are there outlets by each chair in the classrooms? My current laptop, which is valiantly struggling to stay alive on nothing but duct tape and prayer, has a battery life of about 20 minutes unplugged.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ikki wrote:

Are you kidding, I'm the ugliest fucker in that group by a wide margin. I'm just pointing out that in a class of 200 people, it's probably considered a social faux pas to be "that guy" who openly made fun of specific people in a public venue.

Probably, I'm not known for being the most likeable guy though.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:To keep this thread on-topic: Are there outlets by each chair in the classrooms? My current laptop, which is valiantly struggling to stay alive on nothing but duct tape and prayer, has a battery life of about 20 minutes unplugged.

1) yes

2) get a new laptop - you don't wanna fuck around with a chance that your computer will crash during a brief or exam

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ikki wrote:

To keep this thread on-topic: Are there outlets by each chair in the classrooms? My current laptop, which is valiantly struggling to stay alive on nothing but duct tape and prayer, has a battery life of about 20 minutes unplugged.

Use your federally funded line of credit to buy an Asus (that's if you're into gaming too). Problem solved.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Ikki wrote:

To steer the thread off-topic: your icon reminded me - holy crap, Archer is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Someone on this board recommended it, and I was not disappointed. It's like Bond meets Arrested Development with a cherry on top. I watched every episode in like a 4 day period.

Anyway... Carry on.

Juff

Postby Juff » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:19 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Ikki wrote:

To steer the thread off-topic: your icon reminded me - holy crap, Archer is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Someone on this board recommended it, and I was not disappointed. It's like Bond meets Arrested Development with a cherry on top. I watched every episode in like a 4 day period.

Anyway... Carry on.

Aw, Pigly...

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:21 pm

mths wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:To keep this thread on-topic: Are there outlets by each chair in the classrooms? My current laptop, which is valiantly struggling to stay alive on nothing but duct tape and prayer, has a battery life of about 20 minutes unplugged.

1) yes

2) get a new laptop - you don't wanna fuck around with a chance that your computer will crash during a brief or exam

also start using dropbox so you'll never have to worry about losing your papers/notes/etc.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Do Cornell scholarships have stipulations?

mths

Postby mths » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Trequartista wrote:Do Cornell scholarships have stipulations?

good standing

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:37 pm

mths wrote:

good standing

aka you took your finals while conscious

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm

mths wrote:

good standing

aka if we push you you don't topple over

#nyuknyuk

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 pm

vexion wrote:
mths wrote:

good standing

aka if we push you you don't topple over

#nyuknyuk

Trololololololololololol

In other news, does anybody have/recommend renter's insurance? I hear Ithaca in general is very safe, but, statistically, there's a ton of reported larceny. I probably have more theft-worthy things than your average bear, so just curious.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”