Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
csoloski

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby csoloski » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:59 pm

My dad is in the ICU so that pretty much has my attention excuse my spelling.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Anyone fortunate enough to receive a scholarship after their 1L or 2L years? (or know anyone that did?)

theres a bunch listed on the website but I'm just curious as to whether any of them are significant dollars

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:37 am

damage-inc wrote:Anyone fortunate enough to receive a scholarship after their 1L or 2L years? (or know anyone that did?)

theres a bunch listed on the website but I'm just curious as to whether any of them are significant dollars

The scholarships listed on the website are really just funding sources for the grants they give you in the aid package. Nothing more. My grant has been changed twice between those "scholarships".

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:54 am

What do you think of the quality of professors there?

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:00 am

koalatriste wrote:
Juff wrote:
shakingpaper wrote:Can any Cornell students comment on life in Ithaca? How bad is it? Does it affect your mood? Your quality of life? Your ability to be "happy" in law school? I think the location and the weather is probably one of the biggest deterrences to me for choosing Cornell over GULC, etc. as irrational as that may be. I have to make a choice by next week!

I've said this before, but I'll be even more blunt here- if the weather is a factor in your decision to go to law school, then you should seriously reconsider going to law school.

Location is another matter, but only if you mean in terms of where you want to practice (which legal market you want to enter), but since you seem to focusing more on the our moods and "happiness," im going to assume you mean location in terms of quality of life. In that case, see above.

re: cornell v. GULC and the weather - i'd rather freeze my ass off for 3 years than be jobless. also, in terms of "happiness," i'd consider making 160K in NYC a lot "happier" an existence than making 70K as a GS-11 in DC.

those prada shoes aren't going to buy themselves.

Yeah except you might not have time to buy those shoes with the hours you will be working! Big law doesnt equate to personal happiness for many people/

mths

Postby mths » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Emma1 wrote:What do you think of the quality of professors there?

Just like any top law school I'd guess. They're all geniuses and they've been doing this for a long time.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:33 pm

mths wrote:

Just like any top law school I'd guess. They're all geniuses and they've been doing this for a long time.

The one thing that sticks out to me from just perusing the Cornell website is that these men/women actually wrote the books that they are teaching out of - books that other professors from lesser known schools teach from. Awesome.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:19 pm

PinkCow wrote:
mths wrote:

The one thing that sticks out to me from just perusing the Cornell website is that these men/women actually wrote the books that they are teaching out of - books that other professors from lesser known schools teach from. Awesome.

yo, pinkcow, animal solidarity here, but professors writing books isn't really a novelty. that is, you know, their job. also, i'd hardly support the assertion that Queen Clermont "teaches" from even a quarter of the self-authored books that he assigns for class. word up to ClerBear, though, girl's gotta eat.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Emma1 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
Juff wrote:
shakingpaper wrote:Can any Cornell students comment on life in Ithaca? How bad is it? Does it affect your mood? Your quality of life? Your ability to be "happy" in law school? I think the location and the weather is probably one of the biggest deterrences to me for choosing Cornell over GULC, etc. as irrational as that may be. I have to make a choice by next week!

I've said this before, but I'll be even more blunt here- if the weather is a factor in your decision to go to law school, then you should seriously reconsider going to law school.

Location is another matter, but only if you mean in terms of where you want to practice (which legal market you want to enter), but since you seem to focusing more on the our moods and "happiness," im going to assume you mean location in terms of quality of life. In that case, see above.

re: cornell v. GULC and the weather - i'd rather freeze my ass off for 3 years than be jobless. also, in terms of "happiness," i'd consider making 160K in NYC a lot "happier" an existence than making 70K as a GS-11 in DC.

those prada shoes aren't going to buy themselves.

Yeah except you might not have time to buy those shoes with the hours you will be working! Big law doesnt equate to personal happiness for many people/

visit site. http://www.prada.com/en.
select shoes.
continue working.
money is everything.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:49 pm

koalatriste wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
mths wrote:

yo, pinkcow, animal solidarity here, but professors writing books isn't really a novelty. that is, you know, their job. also, i'd hardly support the assertion that Queen Clermont "teaches" from even a quarter of the self-authored books that he assigns for class. word up to ClerBear, though, girl's gotta eat.

:lol:

we think he's going senile cause he keeps giving title 28s out

good talk

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm

koalatriste wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
mths wrote:

:lol:

we think he's going senile cause he keeps giving title 28s out

good talk

That bad eh?

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:54 pm

PinkCow wrote:That bad eh?

ClerBear is still crushing souls on a daily basis... no senility yet!

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:25 pm

What do you guys do in Ithaca during 1L? I mean there aren't internships to be found is there?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:55 pm

FiveSermon wrote:What do you guys do in Ithaca during 1L? I mean there aren't internships to be found is there?

If you mean during the summer, most leave Ithaca but some do work in Ithaca at various legal services, city, or school offices. Also, professors normally need RAs to help them over the summer.

If you mean during the academic year, 1Ls read and go to class. More power to anyone who thinks they can hold a job and 16 law school credits at the same time. But for us normal humans, that is asking a bit much. Plus, what would a 1L expect to do in an internship during the 1L year? No legal internship is going to get real use out of someone who hasn't finished 1L yet, and anything nonlegal is just going to take away time and attention away from studies.

Note: I am a former Air Force NCO and while doing my science undergrad worked 20+ hours per week every semester at various programming or teaching jobs. I know a little about time management and balancing multiple workloads, and I still say no one should even think about working during 1L.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:08 am

FiveSermon wrote:What do you guys do in Ithaca during 1L? I mean there aren't internships to be found is there?

:(

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:37 pm

koalatriste wrote:

Koala can I meet you come August? I promise to keep my grammar in line :lol:

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:

:cry:

I'm sure you can.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:38 pm

koalatriste wrote:

well, you're being bitchy :P

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:01 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:

:cry:

I'm sure you can.

I don't know if Koala will be there next year, as I have not paid enough attention. I suppose I should have asked may I, but "can I" isn't a grammar mistake.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:19 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
I don't know if Koala will be there next year, as I have not paid enough attention. I suppose I should have asked may I, but "can I" isn't a grammar mistake.

:)

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:49 am

Are there any metalheads in Cornell? I want to start a band, I play guitar BTW.

Juff

Postby Juff » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:40 am

Sometimes I wonder whether other schools' "taking questions" threads actually provide useful information.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Ikki wrote:Are there any metalheads in Cornell? I want to start a band, I play guitar BTW.

Haha if I get accepted I'd be glad to, I don't know if we'd have the time. Guitar/singing/screaming.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Juff wrote:Sometimes I wonder whether other schools' "taking questions" threads actually provide useful information.

--ImageRemoved--

queen out a little harder, juff

Juff

Postby Juff » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Juff wrote:Sometimes I wonder whether other schools' "taking questions" threads actually provide useful information.

--ImageRemoved--

queen out a little harder, juff

Joke's on you because she's actually a princess!...oh, I see your point.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”