Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
predent/prelaw

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

mths wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:
mths wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:is it worth paying sticker

we'll let you know in about 2 years.

are there any hot gay dudes in ithaca?

totes

--ImageRemoved--
any that look like matthew goode?

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Is applying for a Law Preview Scholarship by Clifford Chance a good idea?

I read bad things about Law Preview courses in PLS, but getting a scholarship from a top law firm might be a good idea right?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:
mths wrote:

I was there for awhile so there have been :)

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:25 pm

swc65 wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:
mths wrote:

I was there for awhile so there have been :)

o good your essence!!

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:41 am

Can any Cornell law student comment on the 1L professors? Or how bout any of the professors in general?

I'm 100% sure the opinions can be found somewhere in this thread but...70+ pages...scary

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:16 am

damage-inc wrote:Can any Cornell law student comment on the 1L professors? Or how bout any of the professors in general?

I'm 100% sure the opinions can be found somewhere in this thread but...70+ pages...scary

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41118&start=1500

They pretty much start at the bottom of that page (61) and then continue through the end of page 62. However, Summers will be gone (sadly), and I don't think anyone's sure yet who will be teaching contracts come fall for those who don't have Hillman.

Edited to fix a typo.
Last edited by Other25BeforeYou on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:16 pm

damage-inc wrote:Can any Cornell law student comment on the 1L professors? Or how bout any of the professors in general?

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/March11/lawPie.html

Wendel can eat the most pie. Click "Watch the video" in the photo caption.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:33 pm

vexion wrote:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/March11/lawPie.html

Wendel can eat the most pie. Click "Watch the video" in the photo caption.

LMAO

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Is Cornell splitter friendly? 3.5 170/171

mths

Postby mths » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:08 am

coldshoulder wrote:Is Cornell splitter friendly? 3.5 170/171

cornell isn't generally splitter friendly but you're not a splitter.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Question from a naive west coaster: What is up with all the rust? Seriously, like every other car there looked diseased.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:17 am

Also, a different question, maybe some current students could offer some perspective.

Is there any strong reason that I should choose WUSTL over Cornell? I'm offered over 84k there and 30k at Cornell, which after tuition difference is hella expensive. I've always wanted Cornell, but the prospect of being 180k in debt vs ~90k is a bit scary. I want the portability and access Cornell offers, but am having doubts about its actual worth all things considered. I do realize, though, that while Wash U and Cornell are very closely "ranked", WUSTL doesn't perform nearly as well... Anybody want to pump me up?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:39 am

PinkCow wrote:Also, a different question, maybe some current students could offer some perspective.

Is there any strong reason that I should choose WUSTL over Cornell? I'm offered over 84k there and 30k at Cornell, which after tuition difference is hella expensive. I've always wanted Cornell, but the prospect of being 180k in debt vs ~90k is a bit scary. I want the portability and access Cornell offers, but am having doubts about its actual worth all things considered. I do realize, though, that while Wash U and Cornell are very closely "ranked", WUSTL doesn't perform nearly as well... Anybody want to pump me up?

I'm having the same debate, though I have yet to get a Cornell offer, and my WUSTL offer is 120k. I have no wisdom to help you T_T

Pubica

Postby Pubica » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 pm

snow = salted roads = rusted car bodies

shakingpaper

Postby shakingpaper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 am

Do you know of enough people finding jobs out west? What are prospects like for West Coast (California, Seattle) jobs? Are these opportunities few and far between?
Last edited by shakingpaper on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingRajesh

Postby KingRajesh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 am

Is it worth bringing my car 1L year if I'm going to live in the Law Dorm?

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 am

PinkCow wrote:Is there any strong reason that I should choose WUSTL over Cornell? I'm offered over 84k there and 30k at Cornell, which after tuition difference is hella expensive. I've always wanted Cornell, but the prospect of being 180k in debt vs ~90k is a bit scary. I want the portability and access Cornell offers, but am having doubts about its actual worth all things considered. I do realize, though, that while Wash U and Cornell are very closely "ranked", WUSTL doesn't perform nearly as well... Anybody want to pump me up?
Money is undoubtedly the strongest reason to take WUSTL. I can't comment on employment prospects... I don't go to WUSTL; anything you hear from people in this thread on WUSTL placement vs. Cornell is pretty much going to be speculation and conjecture. This is one of those vague questions that gets tossed around TLS that boils down to a lot of personal preference, hearsay about employment, etc. My take is, if you have the option, go do a visit at both, and get a good "feel" for the climate and culture of both schools.

shakingpaper wrote:Do you know of enough people finding jobs out west? What are prospects like for West Coast (California, Seattle) jobs? Are these opportunities few and far between? I'm worried because I'd like to work in the West Coast and Cornell seems overly NYC-centric.

As stated before, Cornell is very NYC-centric, but that's because we're in New York. If you want to work on the West Coast, the opportunities exist, but not as many recruiters are going to come beating down your door at the NYC job fair. There are two keys: First, proving a preexisting, solid West Coast connection (i.e., living there before coming to Cornell.) You don't want to look like a flight risk to firms. Second, doing your own legwork in applying. Get applications out on December 1st for your first summer. Be proactive in sending out résumés and tailored cover letters, not mass mailings. Career Services can help here, but I would say read Kimm Walton's book, Guerrilla Tactics. It's phenomenally helpful.

KingRajesh wrote:Is it worth bringing my car 1L year if I'm going to live in the Law Dorm?
I don't think so. You'd have to find a place to park, like a campus lot (far away from Hughes Hall, and expensive.) The public transit system is great if you need to go to, say, the mall, or you can just bum a ride off an off-campus friend with a car.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 am

vexion wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:Is it worth bringing my car 1L year if I'm going to live in the Law Dorm?
I don't think so. You'd have to find a place to park, like a campus lot (far away from Hughes Hall, and expensive.) The public transit system is great if you need to go to, say, the mall, or you can just bum a ride off an off-campus friend with a car.

Hughes Hall residents can get parking passes for the lot behind Hughes. And note that public transit takes 20 mins to get to the mall, and around 50-60 mins for Wegman's (times are one way and don't include waiting for the next bus). If you already have a car, then I think it would be worth it, but don't get a car if you don't have one.

I don't have a car and have done just fine living in Hughes, but it would be have been nicer to have one sometimes.

japes

Postby japes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:18 am

How accurate is Cornell's rep for being the most studious law school in the t14? How bad are gunners?

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:59 am

japes wrote:How accurate is Cornell's rep for being the most studious law school in the t14? How bad are gunners?

+1

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 am

japes wrote:How accurate is Cornell's rep for being the most studious law school in the t14? How bad are gunners?

I think this is another question that no one can really answer. We don't go to the other schools in the T14, so we can't tell you how accurate the rankings are. I do believe the Princeton Review results said 8 hours a day, and I think that's just not true. During finals maybe, but on a regular day the gunners might study 5-6 hours, the regular guys 3-4. Gunners aren't bad. There will be 2-3 people in every class who raise their hand a lot, and some inane points made, but you'll get that at any law school.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Gonna keep my questions coming (and would like to thank you current students again and again, you ladies and gents are amazing with your advice!):

whats the scene like in "downtown" ithaca. Theres apparently a mall and movie theaters and etc. Theres even apartments in that mall-type place.

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:35 pm

damage-inc wrote:whats the scene like in "downtown" ithaca. Theres apparently a mall and movie theaters and etc. Theres even apartments in that mall-type place.
There's no mall in downtown Ithaca. There is one uptown (maybe 5 miles from downtown.) All these big-city kids from LA and NYC always complain that it's small, but I find it has everything I need: there's a Best Buy, a Radio Shack, shops for most cell phone carriers, a Target, a Bon-Ton (like a Macy's or Dillards)... As for movie theaters, there is one big one in the mall (again, uptown) and one small arthouse one downtown which shows one mainstream movie and maybe two indie films at any given time. The big pedestrian mall downtown with all the shops and restaurants is called The Commons. Yes, you can rent apartments there, but it's a long walk (uphill, no less) to the law school, so you'll probably be taking the bus in every day.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 pm

vexion wrote:
damage-inc wrote:whats the scene like in "downtown" ithaca. Theres apparently a mall and movie theaters and etc. Theres even apartments in that mall-type place.
There's no mall in downtown Ithaca. There is one uptown (maybe 5 miles from downtown.) All these big-city kids from LA and NYC always complain that it's small, but I find it has everything I need: there's a Best Buy, a Radio Shack, shops for most cell phone carriers, a Target, a Bon-Ton (like a Macy's or Dillards)... As for movie theaters, there is one big one in the mall (again, uptown) and one small arthouse one downtown which shows one mainstream movie and maybe two indie films at any given time. The big pedestrian mall downtown with all the shops and restaurants is called The Commons. Yes, you can rent apartments there, but it's a long walk (uphill, no less) to the law school, so you'll probably be taking the bus in every day.

blatant anti-DC trolling.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 pm

koalatriste wrote:
vexion wrote:

blatant anti-DC trolling.

DC isn't a big city. Now, anti-Chicago trolling, I could believe that.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”