Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KMaine

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby KMaine » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 am

nael wrote:How awesome are Cornell's 2010 placement numbers :D . 2nd best placement, ahead of Columbia and NYU, MVPDN, WOW.

People on TLS make way too much of a big deal out of the "T10" and the tiny differences between schools in the USNWR rankings. In any given year, Cornell can do pretty well for itself. Small class size and relatively high offer rate in NYC seems to have helped.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:45 pm

nael wrote:How awesome are Cornell's 2010 placement numbers :D . 2nd best placement, ahead of Columbia and NYU, MVPDN, WOW.

Where are you getting those numbers from?

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Ikki wrote:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:02 pm

nael wrote:
Ikki wrote:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

:shock:
Let's hope our class does just as well or better
:D

bender18

Postby bender18 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:31 pm

koalatriste wrote:a very reputable source here at the law school has indicated to me that the placement for the current 2Ls was about 70% (of those individuals who wanted "biglaw"). definitely not pre-recession, but that's certainly outperforming our peer schools and quite possibly "higher ranked" schools.

it also follows logically that cornell would outperform our peer schools. georgetown, for example, is gigantic and third or fourth fiddle in their primary market (which happens to be the toughest legal market in the nation, even pre-recession). northwestern and duke simply don't have the NYC placement that Cornell has - if for nothing else than a function of geography. and the hiring recovery hasn't yet made significant progress (at least comparatively) in the non-NYC markets.

From what I've heard, GULC also places extremely well in NYC. As people continuously point out, many consider NYC to be just as much a primary market of GULC's as DC.

On top of that, a lot of top Gtown students shoot for government or PI, so it is no surprise that statistically Cornell nabs a higher percentage of biglaw jobs than GULC does.
Last edited by bender18 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juff

Postby Juff » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:14 pm

bender18 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:a very reputable source here at the law school has indicated to me that the placement for the current 2Ls was about 70% (of those individuals who wanted "biglaw"). definitely not pre-recession, but that's certainly outperforming our peer schools and quite possibly "higher ranked" schools.

it also follows logically that cornell would outperform our peer schools. georgetown, for example, is gigantic and third or fourth fiddle in their primary market (which happens to be the toughest legal market in the nation, even pre-recession). northwestern and duke simply don't have the NYC placement that Cornell has - if for nothing else than a function of geography. and the hiring recovery hasn't yet made significant progress (at least comparatively) in the non-NYC markets.

Georgetown is second-fiddle to none in DC.

I think UVA would disagree.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:27 pm

bender18 wrote:On top of that, a lot of top Gtown students shoot for government or PI, so it is no surprise that statistically Cornell nabs a higher percentage of biglaw jobs than GULC does. Does that make GULC a worse school? Absolutely not.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Juff wrote:
bender18 wrote:

I think UVA would disagree.

+1

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:32 pm

bender18 wrote:

This type of rubbish (1) does not even dignify a response and (2) is exactly the reason that this site is pointless.

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Has anyone recieved their aid package yet?

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:40 pm

koalatriste wrote:
bender18 wrote:

This type of rubbish (1) does not even dignify a response and (2) is exactly the reason that this site is pointless.

woah woah, hold on there. I disagree with that post, but this site's gonna save me some money one ASW comes around. TLS is faaar from pointless.

Kswizzie wrote:Has anyone recieved their aid package yet?

I haven't :(

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Kswizzie wrote:Has anyone recieved their aid package yet?

Have you already sent in all the material required by the financial aid office?

Last year I did not get my aid award until right before ASW.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 pm

koalatriste wrote:
bender18 wrote:

All I'm saying is that for a lot of PI and government jobs, you have to be able to network effectively. And because Georgetown is a T14 and in DC, it gives you a leg up. I guess statistically UVA may place better, but I don't necessarily think Georgetown is viewed as "badly" as many people make it out to be.

And my bad... didn't mean to offend anyone. I just meant that GULC is the best school in DC... my mind has been on GW/GULC lately. Haha I also wasn't trying to turn this thread into a Georgetown one!

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:44 am

bender18 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
bender18 wrote:

All I'm saying is that for a lot of PI and government jobs, you have to be able to network effectively. And because Georgetown is a T14 and in DC, it gives you a leg up. I guess statistically UVA may place better, but I don't necessarily think Georgetown is viewed as "badly" as many people make it out to be.

And my bad... didn't mean to offend anyone. I just meant that GULC is the best school in DC... my mind has been on GW/GULC lately. Haha I also wasn't trying to turn this thread into a Georgetown one!

Um, have you ever actually been to DC? From a cursory search of your profile, I'm assuming that you're a 0L. If you want to hear more details about how misinformed you are, please feel free to PM me.

As a final note, I'll say that Columbia is probably the best school in NYC. That most certainly explains why Columbia grads out-place H/Y/S grads in NYC, right? Not.

p.s., statistically speaking: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Penn, UVA, Duke, Northwestern, and Cornell all place better in DC than Georgetown. HTH.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:08 am

koalatriste wrote:
bender18 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
bender18 wrote:

Um, have you ever actually been to DC? From a cursory search of your profile, I'm assuming that you're a 0L. If you want to hear more details about how misinformed you are, please feel free to PM me.

As a final note, I'll say that Columbia is probably the best school in NYC. That most certainly explains why Columbia grads out-place H/Y/S grads in NYC, right? Not.

p.s., statistically speaking: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Penn, UVA, Duke, Northwestern, and Cornell all place better in DC than Georgetown. HTH.

Blatant anti-Boalt trolling.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:43 am

koalatriste wrote:
bender18 wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
bender18 wrote:

Cornell places better in DC than Georgetown? Can you qualify that?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 am

Anybody got the placement figures on small law firms, particularly paper-oriented businesses? I've got my eye on a little place in Scranton, PA, and I hear Cornell grads often get hired.

--ImageRemoved--

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 am

PinkCow wrote:Anybody got the placement figures on small law firms, particularly paper-oriented businesses? I've got my eye on a little place in Scranton, PA, and I hear Cornell grads often get hired.

--ImageRemoved--

:D :D :D

Ostrizr316

Postby Ostrizr316 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 am

danidancer wrote:The municipal lot on Dryden is significantly closer than any lot on campus (that you can use during the day - the law school lot is free after 5pm and on weekends). I'm not sure what the monthly rate is, but if paying by the hour it's $1/hour with a $15/day max. I've parked there a few times. A pass to park on campus is, I believe, over $600 for the year. As mentioned, student parking on campus is pretty far from the law school - maybe a 15 minute walk?

The municipal lot on Dryden is really close, its about a 3 minute walk to the law school. HOWEVER, the monthly rate is well over $150/month. A cornell On Campus permit will put you behind the football stadium, and will be close to a mile walk to the law school. That one costs $670 per academic year.

PinkCow wrote:AND...another question. What's the gym situation? Someone earlier mentioned paying for a gym membership? As law students, do we get free access to Cornell gym? I'm quite used to that luxury...

Gym membership is $100 for the year, and $150 if you want unlimited classes (i.e. kickboxing, spinning, yoga, muscle pump, all of which are hit and miss). There is a gym behind and down the hill from the law school, which is about a 5 minute walk, but can be very crowded with undergrads at peak times. There is another gym uphill from the law school that is much larger and usually less crowded, but with less convenient hours. Also, the law school has a squash ball court in the basement, and students will occasionally reserve it to do group classes in it (for example, a 1L currently teaches Zumba class on tuesday and thursday.)

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 pm

nael wrote: Can you qualify that?

Can you look up basic employment data from Cornell and Georgetown?

Evidently not, so I will offer a brief explanation. I do not want to derail this thread, so PM me for more details.

Cornell places better than Georgetown in Washington, DC biglaw. Rationale:

(1) Most Cornell students self-select OUT of Washington, DC.

(2) Top DC firms (W&C, Covington, WH, A&P) that recruit at both Cornell and Georgetown have a higher callback rate at Cornell, though Cornell obviously receives far less callbacks in absolute numbers (see point #1).

For a further and more in-depth exploration of point #2, you would have to see Cornell/Georgetown employment data, Vault data, TLS callback threads/their respective data, and NLJ 250 data.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand let's end the Cornell/Georgetown discussion, because it's really not even worth discussion. anyone is welcome to PM me if they are interested in hearing my research/thoughts on a more in-depth level.

TR Fan

Postby TR Fan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks to all the Cornell students for taking the time to answer our questions.

As it looks like my choice will come down to Cornell versus Georgetown (part time), I have a lot of questions about the pros and cons of life of attending Cornell and life in Ithaca.

For the moment however, I'm wondering whether anyone can discuss the conditions that face students with spouses/SOs. Specifically, can someone speak to the quality of on-campus housing for families (Maplewood and Hasbrouck), or whether couples/families tend to seek off-campus options?

Also, what are the employment prospects like for spouses/SOs? Acknowledging that this is a rather broad question, I wouldn't mind knowing just how students' loved ones tend to fill their days. My fiancee currently works for an NGO in DC that supports educational programs in Iraq; while jobs like this may be too much to hope for in Ithaca, we would at least like to know whether she could find substantive work (perhaps at Cornell or another local university) and not have to resort to working at Starbucks.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

cityandcolour

Postby cityandcolour » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:32 am

What's the music scene like? I know I won't have time to perform much at all, but do any good live acts come through?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:15 am

TR Fan wrote:Thanks to all the Cornell students for taking the time to answer our questions.

As it looks like my choice will come down to Cornell versus Georgetown (part time), I have a lot of questions about the pros and cons of life of attending Cornell and life in Ithaca.

For the moment however, I'm wondering whether anyone can discuss the conditions that face students with spouses/SOs. Specifically, can someone speak to the quality of on-campus housing for families (Maplewood and Hasbrouck), or whether couples/families tend to seek off-campus options?

Also, what are the employment prospects like for spouses/SOs? Acknowledging that this is a rather broad question, I wouldn't mind knowing just how students' loved ones tend to fill their days. My fiancee currently works for an NGO in DC that supports educational programs in Iraq; while jobs like this may be too much to hope for in Ithaca, we would at least like to know whether she could find substantive work (perhaps at Cornell or another local university) and not have to resort to working at Starbucks.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sorry that nobody got back to you sooner on this. I am not sure what the on campus options are like. My family and I live in a house about 5 miles from campus. It is cozy and in a nice neighborhood, and the rent is really reasonable. My wife was able to find a job as a Montessori school teacher pretty easily. The University is obviously a big employer, but I am not sure how easy it is to get a job there. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Best of luck.

japes

Postby japes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:02 pm

cityandcolour wrote:What's the music scene like? I know I won't have time to perform much at all, but do any good live acts come through?

Second to this. Went to UG in Austin and got used to the awesome music scene.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:55 pm

japes wrote:
cityandcolour wrote:What's the music scene like? I know I won't have time to perform much at all, but do any good live acts come through?

Second to this. Went to UG in Austin and got used to the awesome music scene.

Just a 0L, but from looking at CL, reading stuff online etc., and from personal experience (I go to a UG in a very similarly-sized middle-of-nowhere college), it looks pretty small/hard to break in. I mean, just look at CL, you've got about 3 or 4 musician ads/day, compared to Austin or the like with multiple pages/day.

Also, I read bluegrass/rootsy/folksy music is big around there (no surprise), so that's that I guess. I'd imagine for the size though, that Cornell can bring in some decent bands from time to time.

I mean, come on, small town has its perks. But no way it will be able to compare with a larger town's sheer mass of music options.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”