Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mbw

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mbw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:58 am

kn6542 wrote:
vexion wrote:
Ikki wrote:Given how secluded and small Ithaca is, how hard is it to find a part time job that can help pay the bills ($15/hr+)? Even better, how hard is it to find a law-related job?
Do not find a part-time job. Law school is too time-consuming. If you wanted to ignore the tons and tons of people who will tell you this same thing, and get a job anyway, then I think finding one for $15/hr would be absurd. I don't know where you're from, but that strikes me as full-timer wages, with experience. You could easily find $8-10/hr.

The standard rate for work study at the law school is something like $11.75. There are a lot of legal research jobs to be had at that rate. it wouldn't be difficult. You could probably squeeze $15 out of something if it were more specialized.

And if you find legal work outside of the law school, you can make significantly more than that. I work as a legal researcher for an adjunct's firm that pays much better than work study. And I know someone who works for an attorney in town. But those jobs are fairly rare -- you're much more likely to find work on campus.

However, ABA rules limit work hours to 20 per week for law students. IIRC, the ABA and the Law School strongly discourage 1Ls from working at all.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 am

Frankie55 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Ikki wrote:Just got my admit package from Cornell, but it didn't include any merit scholarships. Should I assume they won't be giving me any merit money?

The package says I should fill out the financial aid forms to be considered for aid, but it seems they will answer after April 15th. I have a very good offer at a T25 school (90% tuition throughout all three years) but I also want to go to Cornell, but that scholarship offer looks very tempting.

I really wish I could stickie this response. And don't take that as an attack on you, it is just a FAQ and it is not your fault for asking.

You don't get merit aid until you fill out the financial aid form. Cornell does need/merit aid in one package, so you don't get merit aid award letters until after you filled out all the need based aid information.

Would a Dean's be an exception to this?

Do they wait until they get your/your parents' tax information, too? (Going to take me some time to get that.)

last year, to the best of my memory: after accepting you EA they would ask you to apply for the dean's scholarship. but i don't think they awarded those until everyone else got their merit aid notice sent to them.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 pm

alexyoshi wrote:
Frankie55 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Ikki wrote:Just got my admit package from Cornell, but it didn't include any merit scholarships. Should I assume they won't be giving me any merit money?

The package says I should fill out the financial aid forms to be considered for aid, but it seems they will answer after April 15th. I have a very good offer at a T25 school (90% tuition throughout all three years) but I also want to go to Cornell, but that scholarship offer looks very tempting.

I really wish I could stickie this response. And don't take that as an attack on you, it is just a FAQ and it is not your fault for asking.

You don't get merit aid until you fill out the financial aid form. Cornell does need/merit aid in one package, so you don't get merit aid award letters until after you filled out all the need based aid information.

Would a Dean's be an exception to this?

Do they wait until they get your/your parents' tax information, too? (Going to take me some time to get that.)

last year, to the best of my memory: after accepting you EA they would ask you to apply for the dean's scholarship. but i don't think they awarded those until everyone else got their merit aid notice sent to them.

Thanks for the info. In their e-mail, though, they say they will notify us about the Dean's "well ahead of deposit deadlines," so it seems confusing that it would be contingent upon submitting any info/come that much later.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:13 pm

anyone comment on how generous cornell is with the merit/need package. My numbers would be around medians but my need is high due to extremely low family income

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 am

damage-inc wrote:anyone comment on how generous cornell is with the merit/need package. My numbers would be around medians but my need is high due to extremely low family income

I'm in the same boat. Are you planning on matriculating? If so, do you play any instruments?

violinst

Postby violinst » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:11 am

damage-inc wrote:anyone comment on how generous cornell is with the merit/need package. My numbers would be around medians but my need is high due to extremely low family income

Cornell has money. You just have to ask, nicely.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:24 am

violinst wrote:

As in a formal e-mail? Or begging on my knees to the Dean? Willing to do both BTW.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:36 am

Ikki wrote:
violinst wrote:

As in a formal e-mail? Or begging on my knees to the Dean? Willing to do both BTW.

Formal e-mail, or meeting with the financial aid office during ASW.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 am

CyLaw wrote:

Also, I applied for their financial assistance to get the flight to Ithaca subsidized (for ASW), I filled out FAFSA already and the needaccess forms, I just need to send my parent's taxes and my W-2. Are they also generous with that?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:45 am

Ikki wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Also, I applied for their financial assistance to get the flight to Ithaca subsidized (for ASW), I filled out FAFSA already and the needaccess forms, I just need to send my parent's taxes and my W-2. Are they also generous with that?

I think the flight subsidy is based mostly if not solely on distance traveled. It will not cover the whole cost for the most part unless you are flying from major hub to major hub and can get cheap tickets.

violinst

Postby violinst » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 am

Ikki wrote:
violinst wrote:

You have to write something that's very convincing. Combine hard numbers (offers from other schools, your low income/asset, etc) with softer appeals and a massive dose of sincerity.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:55 am

can i do a chance me on this thread? (no gpa and 170)

also do any of you have any anecdotes of anyone doing their sa out west or in the south?

thanks!

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:03 am

FlanAl wrote:can i do a chance me on this thread? (no gpa and 170)

Not without a GPA (and school and softs couldn't hurt!)

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:08 am

vexion wrote:
FlanAl wrote:can i do a chance me on this thread? (no gpa and 170)

Not without a GPA (and school and softs couldn't hurt!)

FlanAl went to school in UK, so will not have a GPA from LSAC.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:15 am

do you guys know any UK or foreign ugrad kids at cornell?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:16 am

FlanAl wrote:do you guys know any UK or foreign ugrad kids at cornell?

There are some people from Paris that I know.

ETA: But even if I felt comfortable asking them about their numbers, it is not helpful in chancing someone. There is just not enough data points to be able to tell you what your chances are based on LSAT alone. My gut would say high with a 170, but foreign ugrad is unpredictable in light of small population size.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 am

its that small population size that has me worried. it almost seems like they try to pick more for personality than for numbers. hopefully i'm the right type of person! haha

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:31 am

Frankie55 wrote:Thanks for the info. In their e-mail, though, they say they will notify us about the Dean's "well ahead of deposit deadlines," so it seems confusing that it would be contingent upon submitting any info/come that much later.

*shrug*

again, based on my admittedly spotty memory, i don't remember people reporting that they actually got the dean offer until the same time that everyone else got their merit offers (on 4/1). however, when they accepted round one EA (mid dec.), they invited a few people to apply to the dean's scholarship by writing an essay. in the middle was all the financial stuff.

and of course, it could be different this year.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:14 pm

This may be a silly question, but would Cornell throw me something for a Texas scholarship? I got 70k at UT, could that mean maybe ~50k?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 pm

lisjjen wrote:This may be a silly question, but would Cornell throw me something for a Texas scholarship? I got 70k at UT, could that mean maybe ~50k?

I think it is really case by case here. It seems if they really want you or if it is at the point in the cycle when they have a little more money, they could increase your offer. They increased mine after it was already my best financial aid package.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm

KMaine wrote:
lisjjen wrote:This may be a silly question, but would Cornell throw me something for a Texas scholarship? I got 70k at UT, could that mean maybe ~50k?

I think it is really case by case here. It seems if they really want you or if it is at the point in the cycle when they have a little more money, they could increase your offer. They increased mine after it was already my best financial aid package.

I've been having an ongoing conversation with 2Ls at Vandy and UT. One is unsure of employment at UT, and the other thinks Vandy is the best thing in the universe. What is your take on employment at Cornell? I've seen the stats, but I was wondering what the feel was towards jobs around campus.

Juff

Postby Juff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:21 pm

lisjjen wrote:
KMaine wrote:

I've been having an ongoing conversation with 2Ls at Vandy and UT. One is unsure of employment at UT, and the other thinks Vandy is the best thing in the universe. What is your take on employment at Cornell? I've seen the stats, but I was wondering what the feel was towards jobs around campus.

Depends who you ask. The 3Ls were hit hard by the market downturn, but the 2Ls seemed to have done much better. Coupled with the increased curve range, and I'd say that the general feeling is a cautious optimism.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Juff wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
KMaine wrote:

Depends who you ask. The 3Ls were hit hard by the market downturn, but the 2Ls seemed to have done much better. Coupled with the increased curve range, and I'd say that the general feeling is a cautious optimism.

Is Cornell that much better than GULC in terms of NLJ 250 placement?

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 am

Is Cornell that much better than GULC in terms of NLJ 250 placement?
[/quote]

+1

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 am

Are international students at a disadvantage when it comes to jobs, specifically Biglaw? How do international students perform at Cornell?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”