Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mths

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mths » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:20 am

vexion wrote:To answer the hard question... If you asked 100 people, you'd get 100 different answers. I'm paying sticker, so I guess I think it's worth it. Students aren't really in a good position to answer this. Ask me again when I'm unemployed in five years and facing bankruptcy.

why we drink bro

you did not attend poker night!

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:50 am

mths wrote:you did not attend poker night!
I was not invited to poker night. This is the first I'm hearing. You people suck.

modmx

Postby modmx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Can a student give an opinion about living in one of the graduate housing? Hasbrouck looks great but its FARRRRRRRR from the law school. Would it be feasible with a car?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:47 pm

modmx wrote:Can a student give an opinion about living in one of the graduate housing? Hasbrouck looks great but its FARRRRRRRR from the law school. Would it be feasible with a car?

Driving a car would put you in a parking lot that is pretty far away. If I was to live there, I would just take a TCAT bus to the school. You get a free bus pass your first year.

I can't comment on any graduate housing other than Hughes Hall, which I like.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:32 am

vexion wrote:
mths wrote:you did not attend poker night!
I was not invited to poker night. This is the first I'm hearing. You people suck.

i hereby invite you. hughes. we're thinking sundays.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:22 pm

alexyoshi wrote:i hereby invite you. hughes. we're thinking sundays.
Sweet, just text me, I'll be there.

santoinettea

Postby santoinettea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks for doing this!

I apologize in advance because I realize this question has probably been asked, but skimming 68 forum pages is daunting...

Were you offered scholarships? If so, at what point during admissions (i.e., when admitted, soon after, in March, etc.)? Roughly how much is a student awarded in need-based / merit scholarships? I realize that Cornell publishes this information, but it's all averaged-out, and I'm interested in hearing actual scholarship information from students.

Financial assistance will be the deciding factor for me, so any information at all would be very sincerely appreciated. Thank you!

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 am

santoinettea wrote:Thanks for doing this!

I apologize in advance because I realize this question has probably been asked, but skimming 68 forum pages is daunting...

1) Were you offered scholarships?
2) If so, at what point during admissions (i.e., when admitted, soon after, in March, etc.)?
3) Roughly how much is a student awarded in need-based / merit scholarships?

I realize that Cornell publishes this information, but it's all averaged-out, and I'm interested in hearing actual scholarship information from students.

Financial assistance will be the deciding factor for me, so any information at all would be very sincerely appreciated. Thank you!

1) Yes
2) March (Which was 3 months after I was admitted)
3) $9,500 per year, but this amount changes depending on your qualifications and other financial aid offers from peer schools. (I also receive a considerable amount for my GI Bill).

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 am

When I was accepted, I had to wait a few months for Financial Aid information. I think I heard in March. For me, financial aid was a big part of the decision too. At one point, they increased my offer by about 12K just because I wrote a detailed email explaining my situation, other offers etc.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 pm

santoinettea wrote:Thanks for doing this!

Were you offered scholarships? If so, at what point during admissions (i.e., when admitted, soon after, in March, etc.)? Roughly how much is a student awarded in need-based / merit scholarships? I realize that Cornell publishes this information, but it's all averaged-out, and I'm interested in hearing actual scholarship information from students.

I was a late admit (late May/early June iirc). I received the financial aid package around late June. The 15K a year that I was awarded was presented as a combination of need/merit.

santoinettea

Postby santoinettea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Thank you, CyLaw, KMaine, and afghan007!! Very informative.

I'm holding out hope. It's just strange to think that financial aid will determine whether I go to Cornell, Georgetown, or USC. Aaaah.

Also, KMaine: Thanks for mentioning the e-mail; it might be something I'll have to do later on.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 pm

CyLaw wrote:
modmx wrote:Can a student give an opinion about living in one of the graduate housing? Hasbrouck looks great but its FARRRRRRRR from the law school. Would it be feasible with a car?

Driving a car would put you in a parking lot that is pretty far away. If I was to live there, I would just take a TCAT bus to the school. You get a free bus pass your first year.

real easy to wanna live far till this happens:
--ImageRemoved--

^ warm day

Juff

Postby Juff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:41 pm

mths wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

real easy to wanna live far till this happens:
--ImageRemoved--

^ warm day

Wait, it gets cold in Ithaca? Why hasn't anyone posted that before in any of the Cornell threads?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Juff wrote:Wait, it gets cold in Ithaca? Why hasn't anyone posted that before in any of the Cornell threads?

:lol:

go stand outside

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Just got my admit package from Cornell, but it didn't include any merit scholarships. Should I assume they won't be giving me any merit money?

The package says I should fill out the financial aid forms to be considered for aid, but it seems they will answer after April 15th. I have a very good offer at a T25 school (90% tuition throughout all three years) but I also want to go to Cornell, but that scholarship offer looks very tempting.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Ikki wrote:Just got my admit package from Cornell, but it didn't include any merit scholarships. Should I assume they won't be giving me any merit money?

The package says I should fill out the financial aid forms to be considered for aid, but it seems they will answer after April 15th. I have a very good offer at a T25 school (90% tuition throughout all three years) but I also want to go to Cornell, but that scholarship offer looks very tempting.

I really wish I could stickie this response. And don't take that as an attack on you, it is just a FAQ and it is not your fault for asking.

You don't get merit aid until you fill out the financial aid form. Cornell does need/merit aid in one package, so you don't get merit aid award letters until after you filled out all the need based aid information.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:50 pm

I was kind of disappointed by the admit package. No viewbook, just the alumni magazine, which is full of advertisement.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:43 am

yeah i guess that isn't really all that important

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 am

CyLaw wrote:
I really wish I could stickie this response. And don't take that as an attack on you, it is just a FAQ and it is not your fault for asking.

You don't get merit aid until you fill out the financial aid form. Cornell does need/merit aid in one package, so you don't get merit aid award letters until after you filled out all the need based aid information.

No offense taken, I'd seen the other responses but I thought they weren't clear enough (or maybe I'm freaking out and I just wanted reassurance). Anyway, I'm still kinda worried that they might answer after April 15 which won't give me an opportunity to decide whether matriculating at Cornell is better than taking a 90% ride to a T25.

I'm a URM with a 3.5 and 167, so I'm not counting on much merit aid from Cornell.

DorianGray89 wrote:I was kind of disappointed by the admit package. No viewbook, just the alumni magazine, which is full of advertisement.

+1

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 am

Ikki wrote: Anyway, I'm still kinda worried that they might answer after April 15 which won't give me an opportunity to decide whether matriculating at Cornell is better than taking a 90% ride to a T25.

After you fill out the financial aid forms. If you haven't heard about merit aid by say March 15th, make this deadline known to them. They try to get students all the information they need to make decisions in advance of other known deadlines.

modmx

Postby modmx » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:00 am

Sorry to bring this back up, can anyone else comment on this? I am looking for a 1BR or Studio for my 1L, and everything in collegetown seems very overpriced. I'd be willing to pay 800/month for Hasbrouck, but need opinions and advice. Thank you

Sig218

Postby Sig218 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:03 am

modmx wrote:

Sorry to bring this back up, can anyone else comment on this? I am looking for a 1BR or Studio for my 1L, and everything in collegetown seems very overpriced. I'd be willing to pay 800/month for Hasbrouck, but need opinions and advice. Thank you

When I went up to get my apartment, I took a look at the Carriage House Apartments (a little farther away, but close to Hasbrouck), and I drove around Hasbrouck (I didn't make an appointment to look inside). The woman told me that most people walk to Lot A and take the bus in from there.

Hasbrouck has a parking lot across the street from it, and I couldn't really find parking anywhere else when I drove around on campus. If you look at the map, there doesn't seem to be any parking near the law school (unless I'm missing it).

http://www.cornell.edu/maps/large.cfm

I do know that there were a lot of places in Collegetown and Lower Collegetown that offered parking spots to rent for ~60 a month, but I don't know if anyone drives in and parks at Collegetown and walks in.

I noticed a lot of cheap apartments in Lower Collegetown, and I signed a lease for a studio there. It was a shorter distance to the law school, and all the restaurants and stores were closer. The only negative seemed to be the giant hill to walk up.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:46 pm

alexyoshi wrote:yeah i guess that isn't really all that important

:lol:

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:18 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Ikki wrote:Just got my admit package from Cornell, but it didn't include any merit scholarships. Should I assume they won't be giving me any merit money?

Would a Dean's be an exception to this?

Do they wait until they get your/your parents' tax information, too? (Going to take me some time to get that.)

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Frankie55 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Would a Dean's be an exception to this?

Do they wait until they get your/your parents' tax information, too? (Going to take me some time to get that.)

Don't know actually.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”