Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:06 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:Not sure if this is somewhere else in the thread.... but, can any of you give advice about textbooks? Should we buy everything assigned? Are there cheaper places/methods? Anything will be helpful!


I think I've got some books on the cheap. There will probably be tons of 2Ls selling books. See what your book list is when you get it, then spam the listserve. You can probably get books at ~70% off. Shit, mine are this close from nesting at the bottom of the gorge.

User avatar
legallybrunette16
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby legallybrunette16 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:15 am

como wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:Not sure if this is somewhere else in the thread.... but, can any of you give advice about textbooks? Should we buy everything assigned? Are there cheaper places/methods? Anything will be helpful!


I think I've got some books on the cheap. There will probably be tons of 2Ls selling books. See what your book list is when you get it, then spam the listserve. You can probably get books at ~70% off. Shit, mine are this close from nesting at the bottom of the gorge.


sounds good! Thanks

Also, the Cornell budget says we'll spend about $1000 on books. Is this way off base? How much should we really be expecting to spend?

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:19 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:
como wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:Not sure if this is somewhere else in the thread.... but, can any of you give advice about textbooks? Should we buy everything assigned? Are there cheaper places/methods? Anything will be helpful!


I think I've got some books on the cheap. There will probably be tons of 2Ls selling books. See what your book list is when you get it, then spam the listserve. You can probably get books at ~70% off. Shit, mine are this close from nesting at the bottom of the gorge.


sounds good! Thanks

Also, the Cornell budget says we'll spend about $1000 on books. Is this way off base? How much should we really be expecting to spend?


That is probably on base if you're somewhat wise in your spending. I probably spent much more, but I thought it was a good idea to stock a library with supplements. By the way, I'll probably be selling near-mint supps...

User avatar
legallybrunette16
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby legallybrunette16 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 am

como wrote:That is probably on base if you're somewhat wise in your spending. I probably spent much more, but I thought it was a good idea to stock a library with supplements. By the way, I'll probably be selling near-mint supps...


you spent over $1000 AND bought your books for about 70% off?!?! :shock: oh my.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:42 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:
como wrote:That is probably on base if you're somewhat wise in your spending. I probably spent much more, but I thought it was a good idea to stock a library with supplements. By the way, I'll probably be selling near-mint supps...


you spent over $1000 AND bought your books for about 70% off?!?! :shock: oh my.


I didn't. I'm the sucker who wanted brand new books and tons of E&Es and hornbooks.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sheltron5000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 am

I was a careful shopper and only got a few supplements. I still think I spent over $1000. Casebooks are expensive.

Here's my advice: hold off on the supplements until the fall book sale and your professor tells you which they recommend. Shop around, but compare prices to the bookstore's if you don't find anything better than that just wait until you get here since they often surprise you with used copies in decent shape.

FYI law students highlight and write-up their books like crazy, if you can't stand to see someone else's notes on every page, buy new or used that you can see before you buy.

User avatar
Big Tuna
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:06 am

When did you buy your books in relation to your first class of 1L?

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby KMaine » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:06 am

BTW - At the bookstore, just the required and recommended books alone cost about $1,200 the FIRST SEMESTER last year for me. This does not even include any additional supplements you may want. If you want to stay anywhere close to the budgeted amount, you need to get creative. I think their figure is more of an average for all three years rather than an accurate estimate as to what 1L books will cost.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:36 am

KMaine wrote:BTW - At the bookstore, just the required and recommended books alone cost about $1,200 the FIRST SEMESTER last year for me. This does not even include any additional supplements you may want. If you want to stay anywhere close to the budgeted amount, you need to get creative. I think their figure is more of an average for all three years rather than an accurate estimate as to what 1L books will cost.


I concur. I bought many online; however, a few did not come into the second week of school. You don't really want to get stressed about not having a book that first week or so when you're already freaking out about whether it was wise to come to law school (That general anxiety may last even longer. See, e.g., como; mbw.) Amazon generally has some of the lowest prices and ships quickly. The campus bookstore probably has the highest prices.

Although I agree with most of what Sheltron said, I really think that E&Es are probably most useful early in the semester. They are probably at about a 5-6/10 as far as depth of analysis, so they really are only good for explaining certain concepts quickly and painlessly. It is probably not a bad idea to SKIM one for torts and maybe civ pro if you use them at all. The courses will confuse the hell out of you anyway, so if an E&E will only bog you down further, don't bother. However, if you think you can read one without worrying about catching all the details, it's not a bad idea.

Also, professor Hillman's hornbook for contracts is really great. It pretty much teaches Contracts Hillman-style. I really should have read the whole first half early in first semester. Instead, I discovered it in finals week and pretty much just crushed it and typed up a short outline based on its framework in about 3 days. It was a real life-saver. Do not adopt this study method, by the way.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 am

In case some people did not see it on another thread on TLS, Amazon now has a free student program you can sign up for that comes with at least 1 year of free Amazon Prime (so you get 2-day shipping free). Just something to think about before ordering your books/supplements too early.

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mbw » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:58 am

Another thing: If you plan on joining particular student organizations, you may find that rising 2Ls donate their supplements (and sometimes text books) for distribution to 1Ls. I know that the "ALL-SAs" (BLSA, NALSA, LALSA, etc.) do this -- I picked up a lot of great supplements last year through NALSA, and I donated them all (and more) back in the spring. So between the supplement sale and student org donations, you might find what you need used.

Also, a brief PSA: You do not need to be a member of a particular ethnic/identity group to be a member of that group's student organization -- allies are always welcome. NALSA has non-native members, and I'm an ally member of Lamba - getting involved is generally a good thing all around.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sheltron5000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:12 am

mbw wrote:Another thing: If you plan on joining particular student organizations, you may find that rising 2Ls donate their supplements (and sometimes text books) for distribution to 1Ls. I know that the "ALL-SAs" (BLSA, NALSA, LALSA, etc.) do this -- I picked up a lot of great supplements last year through NALSA, and I donated them all (and more) back in the spring. So between the supplement sale and student org donations, you might find what you need used.

Also, a brief PSA: You do not need to be a member of a particular ethnic/identity group to be a member of that group's student organization -- allies are always welcome. NALSA has non-native members, and I'm an ally member of Lamba - getting involved is generally a good thing all around.


I think you mean "lambda." ;P

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mbw » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:17 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
mbw wrote:Another thing: If you plan on joining particular student organizations, you may find that rising 2Ls donate their supplements (and sometimes text books) for distribution to 1Ls. I know that the "ALL-SAs" (BLSA, NALSA, LALSA, etc.) do this -- I picked up a lot of great supplements last year through NALSA, and I donated them all (and more) back in the spring. So between the supplement sale and student org donations, you might find what you need used.

Also, a brief PSA: You do not need to be a member of a particular ethnic/identity group to be a member of that group's student organization -- allies are always welcome. NALSA has non-native members, and I'm an ally member of Lamba Lambda - getting involved is generally a good thing all around.


I think you mean "lambda." ;P


Ugh, I always get that wrong... but then, I called NALSA NASLA for half of last year... So sue me and my dyslexia ;)

ETA: what are you doing on TLS anyway? Aren't you supposed to be saving the world or something?
Last edited by mbw on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:20 am

mbw wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
mbw wrote:Another thing: If you plan on joining particular student organizations, you may find that rising 2Ls donate their supplements (and sometimes text books) for distribution to 1Ls. I know that the "ALL-SAs" (BLSA, NALSA, LALSA, etc.) do this -- I picked up a lot of great supplements last year through NALSA, and I donated them all (and more) back in the spring. So between the supplement sale and student org donations, you might find what you need used.

Also, a brief PSA: You do not need to be a member of a particular ethnic/identity group to be a member of that group's student organization -- allies are always welcome. NALSA has non-native members, and I'm an ally member of Lamba Lambda - getting involved is generally a good thing all around.


I think you mean "lambda." ;P


Ugh, I always get that wrong... but then, I called NALSA NASLA for half of last year... So sue me and my dyslexia ;)


Haha..I'm also pretty sure that the "ALL-SA" groups have been generous with lending l/t/e/c some books after the book-thief incidents of last year.

User avatar
mbw
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby mbw » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:24 am

como wrote:
mbw wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
mbw wrote:Another thing: If you plan on joining particular student organizations, you may find that rising 2Ls donate their supplements (and sometimes text books) for distribution to 1Ls. I know that the "ALL-SAs" (BLSA, NALSA, LALSA, etc.) do this -- I picked up a lot of great supplements last year through NALSA, and I donated them all (and more) back in the spring. So between the supplement sale and student org donations, you might find what you need used.

Also, a brief PSA: You do not need to be a member of a particular ethnic/identity group to be a member of that group's student organization -- allies are always welcome. NALSA has non-native members, and I'm an ally member of Lamba Lambda - getting involved is generally a good thing all around.


I think you mean "lambda." ;P


Ugh, I always get that wrong... but then, I called NALSA NASLA for half of last year... So sue me and my dyslexia ;)


Haha..I'm also pretty sure that the "ALL-SA" groups have been generous with lending l/t/e/c some books after the book-thief incidents of last year.


One of our other section-mates as well, after her Contracts book went missing...

ilsa
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:14 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ilsa » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:43 am

I don't know how active this thread is... but here are my questions.

I'm interested in international human rights law. I'm taking the LSAT in October, but my GPA is 3.71. I've never been to Ithaca and raised in Florida, so I hope I could bear the weather! But from what everyone has said it is at least beautiful. I'm torn between Cornell and Chicago, but I'm not thinking Northwestern will accept me.

My main questions are for anyone who is interested in human rights, how is Cornell for it? How is the clinic? Or anyone doing public interest?

I did college in three years. My second semester of Freshman year I was doing the upperclass requirements due to AP, so it isn't that I rushed through, it is just what happened. Will my age (20) affect my application? I've just done school rather quickly but still thoroughly. One can't just take time off and make money with just a Philosophy BA, so. I've considered doing the EA. Does EA boost a chance a bit more? Or should I wait and apply in late December after my Fall transcript is in?

Have you or anyone you know done the joint degree with Paris? Does it require complete fluency BEFORE enrolling? My French is shaky, but I could spend some time in Paris with a friend next summer and brush up to gain it back. There's just no use for it in Spanish Florida, so.

I've been very active in campus organizations like Amnesty International, Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking, and Cities of Refuge. Ithaca is a city of refuge (for persecuted writers), could this experience help? Perhaps offset the lack of "real" WE?

Also, how bad is it walking in the cold? I know it is a weird question! But 60 was cold for me growing up, but I'm sure after a nice peacoat and insulated shoes and time one could get used to it.

Thanks

User avatar
legallybrunette16
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby legallybrunette16 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:46 pm

ilsa wrote:
I did college in three years. My second semester of Freshman year I was doing the upperclass requirements due to AP, so it isn't that I rushed through, it is just what happened. Will my age (20) affect my application? I've just done school rather quickly but still thoroughly. One can't just take time off and make money with just a Philosophy BA, so. I've considered doing the EA. Does EA boost a chance a bit more? Or should I wait and apply in late December after my Fall transcript is in?


I can't answer any of the other questions since I'm an 0L, but I was in the exact same situation as you are now. I applied when I was 20. I graduated in 3 years because of APs. And, I applied EA. I was accepted in December, which is a great relief. I think most people say that the EA doesn't technically boost your chances, but the logic goes that the law schools have more open spots in the beginning of the cycle so they are more willing to accept someone that they might not accept in February when they only have a few spots left. I would absolutely say DO NOT wait. Apply as early as possible. Schools will request your fall grades if they want them.

Also, I'm from San Diego. I totally feel your pain about the cold. I'm dreading the change :( But, I would recommend applying to Hughes Hall to help yourself ease into the cold. That's what I'm doing! Hughes is attached to the law school, so you don't have to really face the arctic tundra once it hits!

Good luck!

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:04 pm

ilsa wrote:I don't know how active this thread is... but here are my questions.


Have you or anyone you know done the joint degree with Paris? Does it require complete fluency BEFORE enrolling? My French is shaky, but I could spend some time in Paris with a friend next summer and brush up to gain it back. There's just no use for it in Spanish Florida, so.

The ppl I know who have done it were already fluent in French, and my understanding is that it's a fairly competitive program. That doesn't mean you won't be able to do it, but it's something to consider when deciding.


ilsa wrote:Also, how bad is it walking in the cold? I know it is a weird question! But 60 was cold for me growing up, but I'm sure after a nice peacoat and insulated shoes and time one could get used to it.


You'll adapt. The very worst of it is during the winter break when you likely won't even be there. I would suggest something more than an insulated pea coat if you aren't accustomed to weather under 60 degrees, however.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 am

ilsa wrote:I don't know how active this thread is... but here are my questions.

I'm interested in international human rights law. I'm taking the LSAT in October, but my GPA is 3.71. I've never been to Ithaca and raised in Florida, so I hope I could bear the weather! But from what everyone has said it is at least beautiful. I'm torn between Cornell and Chicago, but I'm not thinking Northwestern will accept me.

My main questions are for anyone who is interested in human rights, how is Cornell for it? How is the clinic? Or anyone doing public interest?

I did college in three years. My second semester of Freshman year I was doing the upperclass requirements due to AP, so it isn't that I rushed through, it is just what happened. Will my age (20) affect my application? I've just done school rather quickly but still thoroughly. One can't just take time off and make money with just a Philosophy BA, so. I've considered doing the EA. Does EA boost a chance a bit more? Or should I wait and apply in late December after my Fall transcript is in?

Have you or anyone you know done the joint degree with Paris? Does it require complete fluency BEFORE enrolling? My French is shaky, but I could spend some time in Paris with a friend next summer and brush up to gain it back. There's just no use for it in Spanish Florida, so.

I've been very active in campus organizations like Amnesty International, Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking, and Cities of Refuge. Ithaca is a city of refuge (for persecuted writers), could this experience help? Perhaps offset the lack of "real" WE?

Also, how bad is it walking in the cold? I know it is a weird question! But 60 was cold for me growing up, but I'm sure after a nice peacoat and insulated shoes and time one could get used to it.

Thanks


you would not be the first 20 year-old at cornell; i think there were 3 in our class ('12). I'm guessing that with what you've said so far, if you get a good LSAT you stand a pretty good chance of getting into cornell with some scholarship money.

As for the human rights stuff, you should check out http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/academics/clinicalprogram/int-human-rights/Past-Projects.cfm, they do some pretty cool stuff. Also, the Avon global center for women and justice [url]womenandjustice.org[/url] is here at Cornell; I've been working for the Avon center this summer and they also do pretty cool human rights stuff (pm me if you want more info). Public interest is hard everywhere because sooo many of your peers are trying to get jobs in law firms to make big bucks, but Cornell's LRAP seems pretty good and there are plenty of professors who actively engage in public interest work, so it's definitely here if you want it.

cornell12cornell
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby cornell12cornell » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Did rising 1Ls get their schedules yet with book requirements. I ask because I have 2 copies of Chaefetz's Conlaw books that are brand new/ never used, and I am looking to unload them for a reasonable price.

User avatar
legallybrunette16
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby legallybrunette16 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:07 pm

cornell12cornell wrote:Did rising 1Ls get their schedules yet with book requirements. I ask because I have 2 copies of Chaefetz's Conlaw books that are brand new/ never used, and I am looking to unload them for a reasonable price.


no, we haven't.

cicely101
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby cicely101 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:29 pm

CyLaw wrote:In case some people did not see it on another thread on TLS, Amazon now has a free student program you can sign up for that comes with at least 1 year of free Amazon Prime (so you get 2-day shipping free). Just something to think about before ordering your books/supplements too early.




You freaking rock Cylaw!!!

AdamatUCF
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:34 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby AdamatUCF » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:28 pm

ilsa wrote:I don't know how active this thread is... but here are my questions.

I'm interested in international human rights law


I always see people say this, but I have no idea what it actually means.

What does an "International Human Rights Lawyer" do? Where would you have a job? Is it different from working in a government policy-setting job? I don't mean to be overly critical, but I don't understand people who aim for fields that in my, perhaps cynical, mind, are a bit conceptual and "pie in the sky".

Can you explain to me where you plan on using your JD after you graduate? It would settle a curiosity I've had for a while. All I've heard so far, from others I've asked, are very very vague descriptions of ideals and beliefs, and a few descriptions of jobs that don't really require a $200k JD at all.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby como » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
ilsa wrote:I don't know how active this thread is... but here are my questions.

I'm interested in international human rights law


I always see people say this, but I have no idea what it actually means.

What does an "International Human Rights Lawyer" do? Where would you have a job? Is it different from working in a government policy-setting job? I don't mean to be overly critical, but I don't understand people who aim for fields that in my, perhaps cynical, mind, are a bit conceptual and "pie in the sky".

Can you explain to me where you plan on using your JD after you graduate? It would settle a curiosity I've had for a while. All I've heard so far, from others I've asked, are very very vague descriptions of ideals and beliefs, and a few descriptions of jobs that don't really require a $200k JD at all.


Google -> NGO -> Int'l human rights

You're welcome.

ilsa
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:14 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby ilsa » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:33 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:
I can't answer any of the other questions since I'm an 0L, but I was in the exact same situation as you are now. I applied when I was 20. I graduated in 3 years because of APs. And, I applied EA. I was accepted in December, which is a great relief. I think most people say that the EA doesn't technically boost your chances, but the logic goes that the law schools have more open spots in the beginning of the cycle so they are more willing to accept someone that they might not accept in February when they only have a few spots left. I would absolutely say DO NOT wait. Apply as early as possible. Schools will request your fall grades if they want them.

Also, I'm from San Diego. I totally feel your pain about the cold. I'm dreading the change :( But, I would recommend applying to Hughes Hall to help yourself ease into the cold. That's what I'm doing! Hughes is attached to the law school, so you don't have to really face the arctic tundra once it hits!

Good luck!



It feels so good to hear that I'm not in an odd situation. I've always loved Chicago, but won't even apply to Northwestern being 20 and straight out college. So, I'm glad to hear Cornell is friendly about that. I was on their website leafing through so .pdfs and read they have even admitting students who hadn't finished their BA yet, as long as they would by their second year. I found that odd. I'll definitely have my application in by the EA deadline. I'm taking the October LSAT, but plan to have all my application materials in by the end of that month and then the score will follow, so I just hope it is good enough.
Thank you.

kn6542 wrote:The ppl I know who have done it were already fluent in French, and my understanding is that it's a fairly competitive program. That doesn't mean you won't be able to do it, but it's something to consider when deciding.


I looked through the application, and I won't check it off that I want to apply to that program. Yet. They said one can in their first year Spring semester, so if my French skills are to where they need to be, I certainly will. It just sounds like an amazing opportunity, but I definitely want Cornell with or without that possibility. My friend attends AUP in Paris and is fluent, so perhaps over the next year a visit and a lot of French skyping should be in order.
Thanks for the feedback on that.


sheltron5000 wrote:you would not be the first 20 year-old at cornell; i think there were 3 in our class ('12). I'm guessing that with what you've said so far, if you get a good LSAT you stand a pretty good chance of getting into cornell with some scholarship money.

As for the human rights stuff, you should check out http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/academ ... ojects.cfm, they do some pretty cool stuff. Also, the Avon global center for women and justice [url]womenandjustice.org[/url] is here at Cornell; I've been working for the Avon center this summer and they also do pretty cool human rights stuff (pm me if you want more info). Public interest is hard everywhere because sooo many of your peers are trying to get jobs in law firms to make big bucks, but Cornell's LRAP seems pretty good and there are plenty of professors who actively engage in public interest work, so it's definitely here if you want it.


Good, good. I am feeling much more comfortable about my age. I'm going to really push for it with my personal statement, and I wish the "why Cornell?" question was more than three tiny lines long.
About scholarship money: How high would a score need to be for a merit scholarship? I've been going through a bunch of different forums on here, and people have said they try to leverage for money by using acceptance from a higher rated school or a larger amount from a different school. Would it be best to apply to many schools in order to have leverage like that? Or merely applying with satisfactory backups be enough? I'd go to Cornell without money, but I'd certainly love getting some. Have many of you received financial aid? One forum kept mentioning their parents' income was too high. But once one is applying to school beyond the BA level, they don't have to include parents on the FAFSA (or once they are 24/married/parent/military). My father refuses to fill out a FAFSA, which is why I've never gotten financial aid for my in-state Florida school. He wouldn't be helping out with law school anyways.

Definitely interested. Thanks for the links. Up until a few months ago I was planning on teaching and the 30-45k salary for decades doesn't make me wince at not making a huge amount with law. I definitely want to do public interest and Cornell's clinics and projects overlap with my interests. Plus having a good loan forgiveness program makes me feel comfortable and excited. I really hope by the end of December I can say I'll be going to Cornell. I'd be willing to send my seat deposit in that very day, hah.


Also, I just want to say (to all of you) I've been reading through this thread and the Cornell 2013 and 98% of you are so nice. Some people on other threads are rude and dismissive to each other. Competition is healthy, but it is nice to know that kind, polite people are at a school I really want to be at. A comfortable environment is more important to me than a great school you are miserable at because you have too many assholes around you. So thank you three for answering, very helpful.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Screech Owl and 2 guests