Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
calicocat

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby calicocat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:17 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
calicocat wrote:
como wrote:Ah, it's nice to see people excited to come to Ithaca. Enjoy that excitement for now...

Thanks.

I'm not excited. hth.

don't you sass my boy now, Calico . . .

:lol: I bet he'll forgive me.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
PS: 1L fall/spring breaks and thanksgiving are for studying, not taking time off. JSYK.

so did you even go home?

No, but I'm from the west coast, so home is a little bit further away for me. Universally, people who went home complained that they didn't get enough work done, but whether it hurt or helped varied from person to person. fsohn is right that if you plan it right you can take the time off, but I don't know of anyone who managed to plan that well, and frankly, there is always more work to do.

kn6542 wrote:True. Also, if you plan properly, you can go for a hike and take a nap every single day.

Yes. Where's the sarcasm tag when you need it?

como

Postby como » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:24 am

I didn't have a rough summer, I had a shitty year.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
PS: 1L fall/spring breaks and thanksgiving are for studying, not taking time off. JSYK.

so did you even go home?

No, but I'm from the west coast, so home is a little bit further away for me. Universally, people who went home complained that they didn't get enough work done, but whether it hurt or helped varied from person to person. fsohn is right that if you plan it right you can take the time off, but I don't know of anyone who managed to plan that well, and frankly, there is always more work to do.

kn6542 wrote:True. Also, if you plan properly, you can go for a hike and take a nap every single day.

It's not sarcasm. Some people value their mental health and physical health.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:45 pm

fsohn wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:
legallybrunette16 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

so did you even go home?

It's not sarcasm. Some people value their mental health and physical health.

Um, yeah. That's actually what I did 1L year.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Any rising 2Ls have any information on upcoming OCI (i.e. # of firms)?

Does Ithaca's rural nature divert emphasis away from OCI?

Willing to comment on your personal preparation?

como

Postby como » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am

afghan007 wrote:Any rising 2Ls have any information on upcoming OCI (i.e. # of firms)?

I didn't count, but there are something like 60-70 firms going to the August Job Fair, another 20ish going to OCI, and then another 30ish with all the other job fairs combined.

The rural nature presumably does keep firms away, that's why we have to trek to the city for a three-day job fair in mid-August.

I've put probably 12 hours into research on various firms. My bid strategy took into account a few factors, in the following order of importance:

Call-back probability (based on my grades and data provided on past call-backs)
SA class-size
Percentage of past classes given offers
Practice areas (are there well-regarded areas, ie areas likely to continue getting work?)
Culture (actually important to me)
Viability (I checked out whether the firms seem managed well and whether they are working)
Salary
Billables
Associate/Partner ratio

I'm about to follow this up with a month of targeted cover letters in smaller markets. Joy!

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:56 pm

como wrote:
afghan007 wrote:Any rising 2Ls have any information on upcoming OCI (i.e. # of firms)?

I didn't count, but there are something like 60-70 firms going to the August Job Fair, another 20ish going to OCI, and then another 30ish with all the other job fairs combined.

The rural nature presumably does keep firms away, that's why we have to trek to the city for a three-day job fair in mid-August.

I've put probably 12 hours into research on various firms. My bid strategy took into account a few factors, in the following order of importance:

Call-back probability (based on my grades and data provided on past call-backs)
SA class-size
Percentage of past classes given offers
Practice areas (are there well-regarded areas, ie areas likely to continue getting work?)
Culture (actually important to me)
Viability (I checked out whether the firms seem managed well and whether they are working)
Salary
Billables
Associate/Partner ratio

I'm about to follow this up with a month of targeted cover letters in smaller markets. Joy!

como is, as per usual, a veritable font of information. i can add a + to this; i think i counted something like 84 individual employers at AJF (includes firm and gov entities like NY Law Dept.), and then when you combined the rest of the fairs and OCI, it got up somewhere near 120 individual employers. That does not take into account firms interviewing for multiple offices--which information i'm (a) not very interested in because i'm pretty solely looking at NYC at this point, and (b) far too lazy to tally up, in any case.

Addendum: As per preparation, I'll also give a +1 to como's consideration factors and their hierarchy. Chambers book + Vault + Nalp information, put it all in a spreadsheet...it takes some time but, obvi, is well worth it.

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm exhausted just reading Como's prep... how do you guys find the time to do it while working all summer?

(Srsly impressed... and equally glad I'm not doing OCI.)

And good luck! Although I'm sure you and L/T/E/C will do just fine this fall.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:17 pm

mbw is the only one I know for sure has dependents, but to anyone who might have advice: My husband is insured through graduate school in California but obviously he won't be "in residence" once we move to Ithaca. Cornell is charging over $3,700 for a spouse/children which seems exorbitant. Does anyone know of reasonable insurance that works well in the area? Something through Cayuga Med Center maybe? Any ideas on where to even look?

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 pm

jks289 wrote:mbw is the only one I know for sure has dependents, but to anyone who might have advice: My husband is insured through graduate school in California but obviously he won't be "in residence" once we move to Ithaca. Cornell is charging over $3,700 for a spouse/children which seems exorbitant. Does anyone know of reasonable insurance that works well in the area? Something through Cayuga Med Center maybe? Any ideas on where to even look?

It is exorbitant (spouse + kids is even more,) but we weren't able to find anything cheaper. Is your spouse working while you're here? I know that most of the non-trads who aren't using Gannett are insured through their spouse (my spouse is employed by a European organization where everyone has state-sponsored plan, so that wasn't an option for us.) Can your spouse COBRA at a cheaper rate from his program? (especially if he was student teaching.) Alternatively, if your spouse does any contracting or consulting and thus files a Sched. C on your taxes, he can deduct the premium, minus 50% of self-employment taxes.

Also, you can get a loan increase to cover the insurance costs, but of course that just adds to overall debt.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 pm

jks289 wrote:mbw is the only one I know for sure has dependents, but to anyone who might have advice: My husband is insured through graduate school in California but obviously he won't be "in residence" once we move to Ithaca. Cornell is charging over $3,700 for a spouse/children which seems exorbitant. Does anyone know of reasonable insurance that works well in the area? Something through Cayuga Med Center maybe? Any ideas on where to even look?

I highly doubt you'll be able to find anything cheaper. NYS insurance rates are through the roof, b/c it's one of the few states that requires universal access, doesn't discriminate against pre-existing conditions, etc. If I end up needing to elect COBRA for August (I technically lose my insurance July 31, but I'll still be "on the books" and have 60 days to retroactively opt-in to COBRA if needed) the insurance I currently have through my work has an $800+ monthly premium (see, $300/month is a huge bargain in comparison!). The only really reasonable plan I've heard of is government funded (ie Healthy New York: http://www.healthyNY.com.) and has insane deductibles, covers the bare minimum, and comes with income restrictions. And it wouldn't even be that much cheaper! In NYS, if you're eligible for any sort of group plan, that's 9 times out of 10 the way to go.

como

Postby como » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:57 pm

mbw wrote:I'm exhausted just reading Como's prep... how do you guys find the time to do it while working all summer?

Thanks, mbw. I'm not sure, but here's hoping! Also, pm me or fb msg me about a contact with some NDN org my mom was talking to. I guess this guy is a friend of my half-sister's dad (an Oneida guy). I could get his contact info.

P.S. if l/t/e/c gets a job and I don't, I'm going to be crashing on his couch and drinking all his scotch.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm

mbw wrote:

It is exorbitant (spouse + kids is even more,) but we weren't able to find anything cheaper. Is your spouse working while you're here? I know that most of the non-trads who aren't using Gannett are insured through their spouse (my spouse is employed by a European organization where everyone has state-sponsored plan, so that wasn't an option for us.) Can your spouse COBRA at a cheaper rate from his program? (especially if he was student teaching.) Alternatively, if your spouse does any contracting or consulting and thus files a Sched. C on your taxes, he can deduct the premium, minus 50% of self-employment taxes.

Also, you can get a loan increase to cover the insurance costs, but of course that just adds to overall debt.

Thanks. Not exactly the news I'd hoped for but it is looking like you're right. Hopefully it will just be for a year until he finds a teaching position.

When I lived in Germany, you paid taxes and got to go to ANY doctor you wanted ANYTIME. You pay a 15 euro deductible twice a year if you actually go. It was painful seeing my post tax income, but never having to worry about this stuff (and knowing no one else did either) made it completely worth it.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:02 pm

como wrote:
mbw wrote:I'm exhausted just reading Como's prep... how do you guys find the time to do it while working all summer?

Thanks, mbw. I'm not sure, but here's hoping! Also, pm me or fb msg me about a contact with some NDN org my mom was talking to. I guess this guy is a friend of my half-sister's dad (an Oneida guy). I could get his contact info.

P.S. if l/t/e/c gets a job and I don't, I'm going to be crashing on his couch and drinking all his scotch.

you ate a whole wheel of cheese como? I'm not even mad, i'm impressed...

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:18 pm

I just wrote a self-deprecating ConLaw reference to wheels of cheese, but decided against reliving the horror...

Moral of the story, 0Ls... try to avoid voluntarily saying really stupid things in class... in fact, don't say anything unless you're cold called...

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:48 pm

mbw wrote:I just wrote a self-deprecating ConLaw reference to wheels of cheese, but decided against reliving the horror...

Moral of the story, 0Ls... try to avoid voluntarily saying really stupid things in class... in fact, don't say anything unless you're cold called...

What has become of you mbw???

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:58 pm

KMaine wrote:
mbw wrote:I just wrote a self-deprecating ConLaw reference to wheels of cheese, but decided against reliving the horror...

What 44 years of life experience failed to do, a single year of law school accomplished: turned me into a cynical and bitter misanthropist ;) But I'll be a good lawyer...

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:07 pm

mbw wrote:
KMaine wrote:

What 44 years of life experience failed to do, a single year of law school accomplished: turned me into a cynical and bitter misanthropist ;) But I'll be a good lawyer...

Yeah, you really should have learned that earlier. Questions to ask self before asking questions in class: Do I really need to know this? (by do I really need to know I mean, will it help me on the exam); Is there a better way of finding out the information (so that nobody else will know and I can get a better grade on the exam because of my secrecy); Will people think I am a tool? Do I care if people think I am a tool? Will I impress the Professor? (wait, that doesn't matter b/c your grade is based on one exam). There may be other relevant questions, but these are the ones that occur to me.

BTW, I think you will be a good lawyer too.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Oh god, I don't even wanna go to law school. But good luck rising 2Ls :D

como

Postby como » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm

calicocat wrote:Oh god, I don't even wanna go to law school. But good luck rising 2Ls :D

Quit while you're ahead.

mbw

Postby mbw » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:36 pm

KMaine wrote:
mbw wrote:
KMaine wrote:

Yeah, you really should have learned that earlier.

Hey, just because you were born cynical and bitter...

And 0Ls, follow KM's rules of class participation... Actually, KM, you might want to trademark those.

calicocat wrote:Oh god, I don't even wanna go to law school. But good luck rising 2Ls :D

If you really don't want to go, you honestly shouldn't. But I suspect you're just getting cold feet... :wink:

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:20 pm

como wrote:

Quit while you're ahead.

TITCR. Stay far, far away.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 pm

fsohn wrote:
como wrote:

Quit while you're ahead.

TITCR. Stay far, far away.

:lol: too late, como just doesn't wanna see me there in the fall.

como

Postby como » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:17 am

It's not too late. You have been warned. Marry rich.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”