Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vexion

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by vexion » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:20 pm

danidancer wrote:
vexion wrote:I found out the closest Chase branch is in Syracuse, so I just moved all my banking online. I have a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking Account. No annual fees, no paying for checks or anything, all the standard online bill paying options/paperless statements, .5% APY (eh, high for a checking account) and best of all, they reimburse ATM fees at any ATM nationwide.

I highly recommend it. The only drawback I've found so far is that you have to mail in physical checks to deposit them. But it's rare that anyone gives me a physical check. And the one that I mailed in took like three days from the postmark date and showed up in my account. Overall, can't beat it.
I really like my online savings account, but I also really like the convenience of a brick and mortar bank... Not sure if I'm ready to make the transition to online checking.
The only reason I could see going back to a brick-and-mortar bank would be service. But Schwab's phone service has been incredible... no wait times, and they're all seemingly smart people based in America. Being able to call and have my issues set straight from anywhere beats the heck out of getting in my car and driving to the nearest branch.

Also, I went with online savings too. ING Direct Orange ftw :D

ml1212

New

Post by ml1212 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:53 pm

as far as intl law and human rights, how do you think access to big intl law/hr organizations that are in ny or dc compare to what you have access to at cornell? im thinking ny and dc are the places to be given all the opportunities, but i know cornell does have a great program

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:32 pm

So... I'm kind of a Chipotle addict. And I just found out that Ithaca lacks a Chipotle. Shock. Horror. Etc. Where does one go in Ithaca to quench a craving for delicious burrito-y goodness?

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 pm

danidancer wrote:So... I'm kind of a Chipotle addict. And I just found out that Ithaca lacks a Chipotle. Shock. Horror. Etc. Where does one go in Ithaca to quench a craving for delicious burrito-y goodness?
No Chipotle...is my tuition deposit refundable?

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:01 pm

acdisagod wrote:
danidancer wrote:So... I'm kind of a Chipotle addict. And I just found out that Ithaca lacks a Chipotle. Shock. Horror. Etc. Where does one go in Ithaca to quench a craving for delicious burrito-y goodness?
Lest you think I jest. http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/find/find.aspx?loc=14850 :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:05 pm

I was very bummed about the lack of Chipotle as well, also no Buffalo Wild Wings nearby either (though Wings Over Ithaca is supposedly decent).

Luckily there is a place that seems to be very similar to Chipotle located in north Collegetown so all is not lost:

http://www.thatburritoplace.com/#/logo

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm a shameless Qdoba addict (basically Chipotle but better :wink:) and the first thing I checked was for Qdoba, Chipotle, Moe's, Baja Fresh... anything in Ithaca. The closest Qdobas are in New York City. This is some bull.

I ate at That Burrito Place on ASW (I was desperate to know.) It's not the same. The burritos were decent, not bad, but not lifechanging. But there's zero seating. Literally, the place is the size of a shoebox. There is one small round table but no chairs, wtf. I give it a C+.

If anyone wants to go in with me, I might just drop out of LS and start a Qdoba franchise in Ithaca. I know there's a market.

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:45 pm

vexion wrote:
I'm a shameless Qdoba addict (basically Chipotle but better :wink:) and the first thing I checked was for Qdoba, Chipotle, Moe's, Baja Fresh... anything in Ithaca. The closest Qdobas are in New York City. This is some bull.

I ate at That Burrito Place on ASW (I was desperate to know.) It's not the same. The burritos were decent, not bad, but not lifechanging. But there's zero seating. Literally, the place is the size of a shoebox. There is one small round table but no chairs, wtf. I give it a C+.

If anyone wants to go in with me, I might just drop out of LS and start a Qdoba franchise in Ithaca. I know there's a market.
With what I've been reading about the prospects of law school graduates, I think this might be a better idea for us. Keep me in mind. :)

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:51 pm

acdisagod wrote:
If you're cancelling, can I have wherever you're living? I still haven't found a place. :-P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NeXP

New

Post by NeXP » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:07 pm

There's a decent burrito place on the commons, and the most chipotle-ish establishment is Moe's, which is a chain, and near wegmans. Like chipotle, they slop pre-cooked food from
steam trays into steamed tortillas before your very eyes. Unlike chipotle, they have real brewed sweet tea. Score!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Qdoba is so not better than Chipotle. I mean... it's OK. But Chipotle is where it's at. 8)

I found this place on Yelp. Will definitely be trying it out. http://www.yelp.com/biz/viva-taqueria-i ... ry:burrito Looks like there's a Moe's as well (but all the way out near Wegmans). http://www.yelp.com/biz/moes-southwest- ... ry:burrito I've never been, is it any good?

Edit: also http://www.yelp.com/biz/garcias-mexican ... ant-ithaca is intriguing.
Last edited by danidancer on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:10 pm

There is a Moe's in Ithaca. I've heard positive things about this place, but my Chipotle addiction has kept me away.

hereforhelp

New

Post by hereforhelp » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:14 pm

how noisy does it get in collegetown with the undergrads? is it a better idea to live in lower collegetown or the commons? thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm

chipotle > moes > qdoba

HTH

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm

vexion wrote:

There's an inverse relationship between seats in a Mexican restaurant and its quality. Hole in the wall on some random alley? Best quality.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm

danidancer wrote:Qdoba is so not better than Chipotle. I mean... it's OK. But Chipotle is where it's at. 8)
Qdoba: Flour tortillas instead of those bullshit corn ones, the Qdoba card loyalty program, and queso, the precious queso!

I've had my Qdoba card since 2004. You earn one free entree for every ten you buy. There used to be a website where you could see how many free entrees you'd earned (all I can find now only archives up to three years of purchases.) Last I checked, years ago, I was up to like 34 free entrees. Now it's easily over 50. I convinced a girlfriend to get a job at Qdoba 2 or 3 years ago, and availed myself of free burritos the whole time we dated. Those were the golden years.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:13 pm

The taqueria is a good place to start. The dine in restaurant attached to it is pretty good too. I miss their mole burritos.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:41 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
The taqueria is a good place to start. The dine in restaurant attached to it is pretty good too. I miss their mole burritos.
I'm just going to see if LALSA will adopt me.

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Big Tuna wrote:I was very bummed about the lack of Chipotle as well, also no Buffalo Wild Wings nearby either (though Wings Over Ithaca is supposedly decent).

Luckily there is a place that seems to be very similar to Chipotle located in north Collegetown so all is not lost:

http://www.thatburritoplace.com/#/logo
You are pleasantly incorrect about BW3--there is one open (either now or very soon, haven't checked it out yet) at 410 Elmira Road.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 pm

That Burrito Place is awful.

Viva, down in the commons, is good though. And they have carryout. it's not that big of a deal to get down there.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:That Burrito Place is awful.

Viva, down in the commons, is good though. And they have carryout. it's not that big of a deal to get down there.
Indeed. I'd take a Qdoba, Chipolte, Illega Petes, whatever over TBP. I can make better burritos at home out of week old ingredients sans the 1000mg of salt they dump into their canned bullshit. Truly disgusting food, TBP is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:13 am

holybartender wrote:
vexion wrote:

There's an inverse relationship between seats in a Mexican restaurant and its quality. Hole in the wall on some random alley? Best quality.
Funny, it holds that same inverse relationship with its distance to California. :P

Chipotle, I must say, is only average.
Last edited by mec30 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:33 am

mec30 wrote:
Funny, it holds that same inverse relationship with it's distance to California. :P

I agree. Give me a good Salinas taco truck any day of the week.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:13 am

vexion wrote:
danidancer wrote:Qdoba is so not better than Chipotle. I mean... it's OK. But Chipotle is where it's at. 8)
Qdoba: Flour tortillas instead of those bullshit corn ones, the Qdoba card loyalty program, and queso, the precious queso!

I've had my Qdoba card since 2004. You earn one free entree for every ten you buy. There used to be a website where you could see how many free entrees you'd earned (all I can find now only archives up to three years of purchases.) Last I checked, years ago, I was up to like 34 free entrees. Now it's easily over 50. I convinced a girlfriend to get a job at Qdoba 2 or 3 years ago, and availed myself of free burritos the whole time we dated. Those were the golden years.

You convinced your girlfriend to work at a place you so could capitalize on free food... you sir are my hero

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:28 am

mec30 wrote:
holybartender wrote:
vexion wrote:

Funny, it holds that same inverse relationship with it's distance to California. :P

Did anyone say Chipotle was good Mexican food? Why would anyone even think that? We're talking about Ithaca, where finding decent (somewhat) healthy food for less than $10 is a huge challenge.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”