Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
holybartender

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby holybartender » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:15 pm

I'll go out to bars with you Vexion. <3

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:26 pm

holybartender wrote:I'll go out to bars with you Vexion. <3

<3

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:35 pm

I'll go out to bars with random TLS people if I don't have other friends, I suppose.

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:50 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:

I'll go out to bars with random TLS people if I don't have other friends, I suppose.

...ouch. Really ouch.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:54 pm

vexion wrote:
AdamatUCF wrote:

...ouch. Really ouch.

Especially since we account for an entire section of people in our class.

Edit: And I will be at the bars also. Who needs brain cells in law school?

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:18 pm

I was trying to be funny, and failed.

Remind me to buy a round one night to make amends.
8)

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:I was trying to be funny, and failed.

Remind me to buy a round one night to make amends.
8)

It made me laugh.

But I'll still take a free round. :D

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Sorry, sorry. We can have a sarcasm-detection contest, loser buys. :lol:

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:25 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:EDIT: that being said, you should be more worried about being able to find people that even want to go out to bars with you. that is the real hurdle. although i suppose my friends and I will still be around next year lol

Really? Yeah... That's gonna be a problem. I'm kind of an alcoholic.

dwh2013

Postby dwh2013 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:50 pm

I had a few more nuts and bolts questions I was hoping a former 1L could answer:

1) Does the school follow the Bluebook or some other citation style manual?
2) Does the school follow the Texas Manual of Style of some other style manual?
3) Are the above two consistent across the writing and research classes and the various journals?
4) When typing exams is it permissible and practical to bring a full size keyboard to attach to your laptop?

Thank you.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:06 pm

dwh2013 wrote:I had a few more nuts and bolts questions I was hoping a former 1L could answer:

3) Are the above two consistent across the writing and research classes and the various journals?
4) When typing exams is it permissible and practical to bring a full size keyboard to attach to your laptop?

Thank you.

(1) yes, BB
(2) yes--well at least insofar as the Texas Manual of Style was the style manual provided to us for the writing competition.
(3) every Lawyering section uses the BB, that's for certain; not sure about style manual consistency.
(4) can't see why not. i had to attach a mouse because the click function on my track pad doesn't work. don't see the difference in attaching a full size [and no, i don't think the slight difference in typing speed one may or may not be able to attain is an important difference, if that's why you ask].

dwh2013

Postby dwh2013 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks let/them/eat/cake.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:03 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
dwh2013 wrote:I had a few more nuts and bolts questions I was hoping a former 1L could answer:

Thank you.

(1) yes, BB
(2) yes--well at least insofar as the Texas Manual of Style was the style manual provided to us for the writing competition.
(3) every Lawyering section uses the BB, that's for certain; not sure about style manual consistency.
(4) can't see why not. i had to attach a mouse because the click function on my track pad doesn't work. don't see the difference in attaching a full size [and no, i don't think the slight difference in typing speed one may or may not be able to attain is an important difference, if that's why you ask].

Please note that the Bluebook editors, in their infinite wisdom, have released a new edition that is making its way to libraries and bookstores now. You are lucky you didn't have to learn the 18th edition, riddled with error and inconsistency as it is. I would suggest getting the hard copy plus the internet subscription--it makes life easier.

I can attest that the International Law Journal uses the Texas Manual as the go-to style guide. Anything needing more clarification is referred to the Chicago Manual. Some Lawyering sections will use the Red Book. I don't find prescriptive guides like these useful generally, but I'm an ogre stuck in my ways.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:17 am

How important are the first couple of
weekends after classes start? Would it not be advisable
to pop down to Flushing for the Open?

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:57 am

NeXP wrote:How important are the first couple of

I can't tell you how important they are because I wasn't around for them (went out of town), but I can tell you as someone who missed them that I didn't feel like I missed anything important or exciting.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:07 am

Have fun at the Open!

mec30

Postby mec30 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 am

lol For some reason the first thing that poped in my head was toilet related frivolity for a good cause.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:38 am

mec30 wrote:

lol For some reason the first thing that poped in my head was toilet related frivolity for a good cause.

haha yes, it's an unfortunate name for a largely unfortunate area. That's not an invitation to disparage the Mets!

mec30

Postby mec30 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Mmm. Here's a question from the Columbia thread, what are the nearby banks?

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:37 pm

mec30 wrote:Mmm. Here's a question from the Columbia thread, what are the nearby banks?

I found a Bank of America, on google maps, ~1 mile from campus.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:11 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
mec30 wrote:Mmm. Here's a question from the Columbia thread, what are the nearby banks?

Most convenient national chain to the LS seems to be BOA. There's also an M&T right there and I also saw an HSBC near the Commons when I visited, so depending on where you're living, that could be convenient as well. If you're a credit union person, Cornell has one on campus and the Tompkins Trust is also on campus.

Because I've heard bad things about BOA, I'm thinking of opening an account with M&T. Anyone have any experience with them?

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:02 pm

danidancer wrote:
AdamatUCF wrote:

Most convenient national chain to the LS seems to be BOA. There's also an M&T right there and I also saw an HSBC near the Commons when I visited, so depending on where you're living, that could be convenient as well. If you're a credit union person, Cornell has one on campus and the Tompkins Trust is also on campus.

Because I've heard bad things about BOA, I'm thinking of opening an account with M&T. Anyone have any experience with them?

No experience with them, except once time I think their ATM ate my debit card after I accidentally tried using it before it had been activated. Just wanted to point out that M&T is pretty much infinitely more convenient than BOA in Ithaca. There is a BOA ATM near the law school, but the actual bank is down on the commons, so unless you're living near the commons it won't be very convenient. If you're going to be depositing checks or anything, there's an actual M&T bank about a block or so from the law school. And you're going to be at the law school all the time anyway.

vexion

Postby vexion » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:04 pm

I found out the closest Chase branch is in Syracuse, so I just moved all my banking online. I have a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking Account. No annual fees, no paying for checks or anything, all the standard online bill paying options/paperless statements, .5% APY (eh, high for a checking account) and best of all, they reimburse ATM fees at any ATM nationwide.

I highly recommend it. The only drawback I've found so far is that you have to mail in physical checks to deposit them. But it's rare that anyone gives me a physical check. And the one that I mailed in took like three days from the postmark date and showed up in my account. Overall, can't beat it.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:16 pm

vexion wrote:I found out the closest Chase branch is in Syracuse, so I just moved all my banking online. I have a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking Account. No annual fees, no paying for checks or anything, all the standard online bill paying options/paperless statements, .5% APY (eh, high for a checking account) and best of all, they reimburse ATM fees at any ATM nationwide.

I highly recommend it. The only drawback I've found so far is that you have to mail in physical checks to deposit them. But it's rare that anyone gives me a physical check. And the one that I mailed in took like three days from the postmark date and showed up in my account. Overall, can't beat it.

I really like my online savings account, but I also really like the convenience of a brick and mortar bank... Not sure if I'm ready to make the transition to online checking.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:19 pm

M&T is really a great bank. I've been with M&T for a long time and have kept all my accts with them even though I'm in GA (opened a Suntrust acct here too just to have a nearby ATM). They're a good hybrid of large national/smaller regional. Big enough that you can rely on them but small enough that they are responsive if you've got issues.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”