Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Other25BeforeYou

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:32 pm

NeXP wrote:
danidancer wrote:How much are Ithaca utilities? I found a promising apartment, but rent doesn't include any utilities, trying to figure out if it will still work within my budget when I add in those costs.

It depends on how well the house is insulated. If it doesn't have double pane windows, good luck. Garbarge is charged by the can, you have to buy prepaid tags at city hall and put them on each can you want collected. Yard clippings and recycling are free. Are you metered individually? I certainly wouldn't want to be paying for another tennants heat. If the house isn't well insulated, I woul walk away. You could easily be paying over $100 a month just for heat.

You can also buy said prepaid tags at pretty much any local supermarket at the service desk.

But yes, paying for gas heat during the winter can get damn expensive.

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 am

Can anyone comment on the most recent OCI, or on hiring ITE from Cornell in general?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:14 pm

vexion wrote:Can anyone comment on the most recent OCI, or on hiring ITE from Cornell in general?

Check back in 3 months. We'll know more then.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:00 pm

vexion wrote:Can anyone comment on the most recent OCI, or on hiring ITE from Cornell in general?

The last OCI was terrible. Less than 40% big law.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm

fsohn wrote:

I know that most at Cornell are Big Law focused, but is there any news on the PI / Gov't front. Just wondering how the non profits and governments have been reacting to the economy, and if this has affected networking or connections at Cornell. Also, for those that have been to PI events, have they been focused only on NY or has there been much contact with organizations in DC also.

como

Postby como » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:06 pm

CyLaw wrote:
fsohn wrote:

I know that most at Cornell are Big Law focused, but is there any news on the PI / Gov't front. Just wondering how the non profits and governments have been reacting to the economy, and if this has affected networking or connections at Cornell. Also, for those that have been to PI events, have they been focused only on NY or has there been much contact with organizations in DC also.

My understanding is that the biggest PI job fair is in fact in DC.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:12 pm

How do most male students dress for classes? Is it totally college-y, with jeans and tshirts (weather permitting) , or is it usually a business casual thing? Or is there a fair number of Shirt+Tie guys and "Go to class in a suit" guys? Come to think of it, is there a formal dress code I should know about?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:21 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:How do most male students dress for classes? Is it totally college-y, with jeans and tshirts (weather permitting) , or is it usually a business casual thing? Or is there a fair number of Shirt+Tie guys and "Go to class in a suit" guys? Come to think of it, is there a formal dress code I should know about?

As one of your future class mates, I will tell you that I am planning on wearing shorts and a polo shirt almost everyday of class.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:23 pm

CyLaw, we'll see how that holds up come December. You are going to want to leave Hughes some time. :P

AdamatUCF, on our Admitted Student Weekend everyone was wearing jeans and some combination of t-shirt/polo with a jacket. It's not Pepperdine.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:55 pm

vexion wrote:You are going to want to leave Hughes some time. :P

NEVER!

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:06 pm

CyLaw wrote:

NEVER!

Would you do it for a Scoobie Snack?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:35 pm

CyLaw wrote:

NEVER!

This is exactly why I didn't want to live in Hughes.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 pm

vexion wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

NEVER!

Would you do it for a Scoobie Snack?

Maybe for 2 Scoobie Snacks. Or beer. Beer works.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Can someone shed some light on the Cornell clinics -- specifically the child advocacy and public interest clinics? Or any clinic experiences would be great as well -- such as required coursework, what it was like on a day-to-day basis, etc. Thanks!

dwh2013

Postby dwh2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:50 am

Just a few procedural questions:

Which two single semester classes are in the fall and which are in the spring? The sample schedule on the website indicates that Const'l Law and Property are in the fall but the red binder I was sent states that Const'l Law and Torts are. Or does it vary by section?

Do the year-long classes (Lawyering, Contracts, Civil Procedure) issue both a fall semester and a spring semester grade or is it just one grade at the end of the year? If only one grade is given is there a midterm exam? How is it weighted compared to the final exam?

Are the two classes that you have with only your section (Lawyering + another) graded on a curve of just those roughly 30 students?

Thanks.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:46 pm

dwh2013 wrote:Just a few procedural questions:

Which two single semester classes are in the fall and which are in the spring? The sample schedule on the website indicates that Const'l Law and Property are in the fall but the red binder I was sent states that Const'l Law and Torts are. Or does it vary by section?

Do the year-long classes (Lawyering, Contracts, Civil Procedure) issue both a fall semester and a spring semester grade or is it just one grade at the end of the year? If only one grade is given is there a midterm exam? How is it weighted compared to the final exam?

Are the two classes that you have with only your section (Lawyering + another) graded on a curve of just those roughly 30 students?

Thanks.

Class of 2011 had property and con law first semester. Class of 2012 had torts and con law first semester. I think they are moving towards the latter, as torts is a better "introductory" course than property.

All classes issue grades each semester. You will have two grades for Lawyering, Contracts, and Civil Procedure.

All 1L classes are graded on a curve including all people in the lecture. Lawyering and your small section are graded with just the people in the class. I *think* everyone in the class of 2011 had Clermont for second semester Civil Procedure, however, and we were all graded on the same curve.

dwh2013

Postby dwh2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Thank you fsohn.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:56 pm

holybartender wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

NEVER!

you got that right you wanker. i hope you're not rooting for UK right now u 2-bit wannabe barrister.

/derail

mbw

Postby mbw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:23 pm

fsohn wrote:

Thanks.

Class of 2011 had property and con law first semester. Class of 2012 had torts and con law first semester. I think they are moving towards the latter, as torts is a better "introductory" course than property.

All classes issue grades each semester. You will have two grades for Lawyering, Contracts, and Civil Procedure.

All 1L classes are graded on a curve including all people in the lecture. Lawyering and your small section are graded with just the people in the class. I *think* everyone in the class of 2011 had Clermont for second semester Civil Procedure, however, and we were all graded on the same curve.

Half the class had him first semester, the other half had him second semester. The other professors were Rossi for fall semester, and Holden-Smith for spring.

Frankly, I think CivPro is a one semester class (sure, make it four credits, but seriously...) I'd rather have property for a whole year...

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:37 pm

mbw wrote:
fsohn wrote:

Thanks.

Half the class had him first semester, the other half had him second semester. The other professors were Rossi for fall semester, and Holden-Smith for spring.

Frankly, I think CivPro is a one semester class (sure, make it four credits, but seriously...) I'd rather have property for a whole year...

Ridiculous! i can't imagine the material being crammed into one semester and being given the attention it deserves. this is coming from someone who is admittedly a huge fan of civil procedure. each their proverbial own though right. difference is the spice of life and all that.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:53 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
holybartender wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

NEVER!

you got that right you wanker. i hope you're not rooting for UK right now u 2-bit wannabe barrister.

/derail

Bloody hell no. Yank to the core.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:07 pm

You're either a Manc or a wank!

--ImageRemoved--

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:18 pm

This better?

vexion

Postby vexion » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:38 pm

So can anyone comment on all the popular bars? I know that they exist (see: all the questions buried in this thread about the nightlife.) But what are your specific opinions of Chapter House, Royal Palm, Micawber's, Castaways, The Haunt...

Please spare no praise or invective.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 pm

vexion wrote:So can anyone comment on all the popular bars? I know that they exist (see: all the questions buried in this thread about the nightlife.) But what are your specific opinions of Chapter House, Royal Palm, Micawber's, Castaways, The Haunt...

Please spare no praise or invective.

um, i'm guessing those last three are down in the commons? bc i've never been to them lol chapter house is 'meh'. if you live down the hill and it's nearby i guess it would be a good place to go on a weekday night for a beer and some games (they have pool and foosball tables). weekends it's crowded and sweaty and u can't get a drink and they have these shitty live bands wailing away and there's usu a cover.

i like ruloffs and the palms, personally. though the palms is basically a midnight to 130 thing. no one goes there before midnight.

in any case, it's prob like a 'personality' thing. some folks will like CHouse and hate the palms; some the other way around. you may look both at different times for different reasons. different strokes....

EDIT: that being said, you should be more worried about being able to find people that even want to go out to bars with you. that is the real hurdle. although i suppose my friends and I will still be around next year lol

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”