Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
danidancer

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby danidancer » Sat May 29, 2010 6:53 pm

In light of all the car talk, how stupid is it to live a little bit further out (say 2-3 miles) and drive to school everyday as a 1L? Totally stupid?

PS - I have a Volkswagen and WILL be getting snow tires. Just wondering if I should really be paying the premium to live in Collegetown/Downtown and just using the car for errands, or if it's doable to rely on the car as a means for getting to campus on a daily basis...

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Sat May 29, 2010 8:07 pm

danidancer wrote:In light of all the car talk, how stupid is it to live a little bit further out (say 2-3 miles) and drive to school everyday as a 1L? Totally stupid?

PS - I have a Volkswagen and WILL be getting snow tires. Just wondering if I should really be paying the premium to live in Collegetown/Downtown and just using the car for errands, or if it's doable to rely on the car as a means for getting to campus on a daily basis...

Parking isn't cheap--something like $700 a year--but otherwise, there are plenty of people who live a little out of town. It's doable, but I'd think the bus is probably the better option as a 1L, since it is free.
jks289 wrote:Sort of random question, what are we going to need to do over winter break? I am trying to schedule vacation (long story) but realized I have no idea if we are actually off from 12/17-1/18, or if I'll need to be studying, writing, or summer job searching. Can any one tell me if planning to be on a beach with no phone or internet for two weeks is a bad idea?

You will probably want to start searching for summer jobs about then, but if memory serves, the NALP guidelines say to apply to firms after 12/1, and judges are roughly the same. You should be able to get it done before you head off.

eaters333

Postby eaters333 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:43 pm

AH so close to going to another lax championship, I was pulling for Big Red

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat May 29, 2010 8:45 pm

eaters333 wrote:AH so close to going to another lax championship, I was pulling for Big Red

they exposed that goalie for what he was. a freshman with big game jitters and, apparently, no first step. there was a point in the game where the ND guy got a pass, little right of center about 14 yards out, and i was like "he's going to shoot this, bc he knows...". smoked him.

good to see them make it this far though, i guess.

eaters333

Postby eaters333 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Ya I definitely see that, at least they have a line of middies coming back and a really good couple attacks, 2011 champs.

But Notre Dame? come on

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat May 29, 2010 8:57 pm

eaters333 wrote:Ya I definitely see that, at least they have a line of middies coming back and a really good couple attacks, 2011 champs.

But Notre Dame? come on

i know, come onnn. lol. whoever ends up winning the duke/uva game is prob going to smoke them. their only hope is that goalie just being on fire (again). a goalie on fire can change a game.

alrite, y'all can have ur thread back now.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:39 am

Lay off the sour grapes... ND completely worked Cornell in the semi's and only lost in OT to Duke while holding them to just six goals (Duke averaged 16 goals per game in the rest of the postseason). That being said I look forward to going to Cornell lax games next year to get my fix!

ninjagirl

Postby ninjagirl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:14 am

If you like to cook a lot (and therefore would buy groceries often), what are your options? Do you basically have to live close to Wegmans, own a car, or sacrifice 3 hours each weekend on the bus/walking in order to buy groceries?

Are there other major grocery stores around? All the markets on a map I found seemed not that close to where most people would live.

Devila_C

Postby Devila_C » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:34 am

Hi everyone. I'm starting to look for a 1 bedroom apt in Ithaca for this Fall and am wondering about the parking situation (on campus). Is it possible to live farther off campus and drive/park near the Law School? And how easy is it to park in collegetown?

Also, should I start freaking out about finding a place to stay? It seems pretty late in the game given my undergrad experience (different city but still small collegetown). Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey guys,

Is there a pet daycare where I can leave my dog for three/four days while I am out of town? I am traveling via greyhound bus and you cannot take pets...

Thanks!

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Do any law students utilize a Cornell meal plan or do they typically just buy lunch independent of any such plan?

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Big Tuna wrote:Do any law students utilize a Cornell meal plan or do they typically just buy lunch independent of any such plan?

I've never heard of anyone using the meal plan. Occasionally, however, folks do go to the dining halls, and a lot of folks eat at Hughes Dining.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:46 pm

I know cell phones have been discussed here in the past, but I was wondering if anyone knows what providers get signal in Hughes Hall. Thinking of dumping At&t.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Big Tuna wrote:Do any law students utilize a Cornell meal plan or do they typically just buy lunch independent of any such plan?

I know a lot of folks this last year who lived in Hughes and had a meal plan, and a number who had a meal plan even though they lived off campus. If I recall correctly, a lot of them were scrambling at the end of the semester to use up their meals or BigRedBucks or whatever they are. Some people really like doing one meal a day on campus (I ate lunch at the law school dining hall pretty much every day) while others prefer to go into Collegetown for lunch or bring their lunches.

Devila_C wrote:Hi everyone. I'm starting to look for a 1 bedroom apt in Ithaca for this Fall and am wondering about the parking situation (on campus). Is it possible to live farther off campus and drive/park near the Law School? And how easy is it to park in collegetown?

I believe it costs somewhere around $500 a semester to get a permit to park on campus, and $100 a month to get a spot in the parking garage in collegetown. Parking elsewhere in collegetown is a bitch. I knew some people who lived far from campus and either drove to University Ave and parked there for free and then walked the 15 minutes to the law school. I knew others who parked at grocery stores outside town and then took the bus in from there straight to the law school. I think the easiest thing if you're living outside of Ithaca would be to live near a TCAT (bus) stop, although some people who did this had to leave the law school by 5:00PM or so every night because otherwise they'd miss the last bus home.

ninjagirl wrote:If you like to cook a lot (and therefore would buy groceries often), what are your options? Do you basically have to live close to Wegmans, own a car, or sacrifice 3 hours each weekend on the bus/walking in order to buy groceries?

Are there other major grocery stores around? All the markets on a map I found seemed not that close to where most people would live.

Yeah, most the grocery stores are obnoxiously far away. If you live downtown there is a P&C (I think it's a P&C, anyway) near the fall creek neighborhood that could be walkable depending on where you live. In Collegetown there are convenience stores. I think a friend told me once that East of collegetown there is a supermarket in walking distance, but I can't remember where or what store it was. Almost everyone I knew who cooked a lot and was carless spent three hours or so every other weekend taking the bus to Wegman's to do grocery shopping. Another option would be Ithaca Carshare or taking a cab.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Yeah, most the grocery stores are obnoxiously far away. If you live downtown there is a P&C (I think it's a P&C, anyway) near the fall creek neighborhood that could be walkable depending on where you live.

Just FYI, the fall creek P & C closed a few months ago when Tops bought out P & C. No idea if it's been determined what will go in that building next.

mbw

Postby mbw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:03 pm

kn6542 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:Yeah, most the grocery stores are obnoxiously far away. If you live downtown there is a P&C (I think it's a P&C, anyway) near the fall creek neighborhood that could be walkable depending on where you live.

Just FYI, the fall creek P & C closed a few months ago when Tops bought out P & C. No idea if it's been determined what will go in that building next.

Yeah, that was our neighborhood convenience store (it was small for a modern grocery.) There is an Aldi not far away, and if you live in Fall Creek, the 13 bus goes directly up the Hill to the Mall (Tops, P&C, Target).

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 pm

kn6542 wrote:

Oh, that makes me kind of sad. I ended up there once when I got lost jogging, and it seemed like the most conveniently placed grocery store in all of Ithaca.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Oh, that makes me kind of sad. I ended up there once when I got lost jogging, and it seemed like the most conveniently placed grocery store in all of Ithaca.

Yeah, I know. I think my campusfood budget doubled when they closed. I never wanted to drive all the way to wegmans or lansing to get food.

Devila_C

Postby Devila_C » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Ok this might sound stupid, but I just want to make sure...TCAT is the only bus system around Cornell/Ithaca right? Cornell itself doesn't have a free bus system around campus?

Thanks!

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Devila_C wrote:Ok this might sound stupid, but I just want to make sure...TCAT is the only bus system around Cornell/Ithaca right? Cornell itself doesn't have a free bus system around campus?

Thanks!

No, just TCAT and the rickshaws.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:33 am

Devila_C wrote:Ok this might sound stupid, but I just want to make sure...TCAT is the only bus system around Cornell/Ithaca right? Cornell itself doesn't have a free bus system around campus?

Thanks!

TCAT does go to many locations on campus, though, and for your first year you can use the TCAT as much as you want without paying fares. Second and third year it's free after 6:00PM on weekdays and all day on weekends, I think, and you can still buy passes to take it during the day.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:38 pm

How much are Ithaca utilities? I found a promising apartment, but rent doesn't include any utilities, trying to figure out if it will still work within my budget when I add in those costs.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:01 pm

danidancer wrote:How much are Ithaca utilities? I found a promising apartment, but rent doesn't include any utilities, trying to figure out if it will still work within my budget when I add in those costs.

It depends on how well the house is insulated. If it doesn't have double pane windows, good luck. Garbarge is charged by the can, you have to buy prepaid tags at city hall and put them on each can you want collected. Yard clippings and recycling are free. Are you metered individually? I certainly wouldn't want to be paying for another tennants heat. If the house isn't well insulated, I woul walk away. You could easily be paying over $100 a month just for heat.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:17 pm

NeXP wrote:
danidancer wrote:How much are Ithaca utilities? I found a promising apartment, but rent doesn't include any utilities, trying to figure out if it will still work within my budget when I add in those costs.

It depends on how well the house is insulated. If it doesn't have double pane windows, good luck. Garbarge is charged by the can, you have to buy prepaid tags at city hall and put them on each can you want collected. Yard clippings and recycling are free. Are you metered individually? I certainly wouldn't want to be paying for another tennants heat. If the house isn't well insulated, I woul walk away. You could easily be paying over $100 a month just for heat.

You can also take you trash directly to the dump. They weigh your car/truck before you go in, then again when you come out, and charge you by the pound.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:39 pm

fsohn wrote:
You can also take you trash directly to the dump. They weigh your car/truck before you go in, then again when you come out, and charge you by the pound.

That's a tad rural for my taste :-p

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”