Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
night06

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby night06 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:41 pm

night06 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

Does anyone know anything about the full-term externship program? What kinds of positions do people get, what cities do they typically go to, etc...

No one?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun May 23, 2010 1:23 am

night06 wrote:

Does anyone know anything about the full-term externship program? What kinds of positions do people get, what cities do they typically go to, etc...

No one?

I'm sure you probably already found this page, but in case you haven't this is the link to some of the information on Cornell's website http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/academ ... rnship.cfm.

Also, it would probably be useful to send a quick email to Glenn Galbreath who is the prime contact for the Full Term Externships. http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/faculty/bio.cfm?id=18

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:33 am

ninjagirl wrote:Any bicyclists among the current Cornellians? I'm trying to get more information about East Hill Recreation Way. Is the path from Honness Lane bikable during the winter (do they clear the snow like I've heard they do for the main roads), and how flat/hilly is it? On GoogleMaps terrain it appears relatively flat until you get close to Maple Ave.

Yeah, so biking in ithaca isn't ideal. There are very few bike lanes, ppl don't know how to drive with bicyclists (ppl in Ithaca generally drive like they've hit their head on concrete several times before departing, anyway), there are ppl from Texas who think bikes should be on the sidewalk, etc. I don't know in particular the path you're planning on taking. They tend to get to the less traveled roads later, so there's no guarantee it will be plowed after a snow fall before you need to go. Yet in my experience they do still plow the backroads at some point. I'm also assuming you would be using snow tires if you plan on trying it in the winter. As for the hill, it is not that bad, really, but it's there.

You can get detailed maps about the bike routes in Ithaca from Cayuga Ski and Cyclery, which I've found to be the more professional/less douchey/less price inflated bike shop in town. If you want to get specific info about that path before you move to Ithaca, they might be willing to mail you a map or tell you what they know over the phone. There is also a forum where you might be able to get more detailed answers from someone: http://cayugaskiandcyclery.com/bikespea ... ?forumid=1

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:37 am

night06 wrote:

No one?

Yes, definitely talk to Galbreath if you have specific Qs. People go everywhere for externships. They've even approved overseas externship positions in the past. When you get to Ithaca, there are some binders in the clinic office that you can look through containing all of the externship positions that past students have held. They are located right inside the front door, but you can ask the secretary if you can't find them. Of course, you aren't limited to those positions and cities, but that would answer your question.

cicely101

Postby cicely101 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:28 pm

So I'm living in Hughes next year and want to bring my car, is there any way around paying that $600 parking permit fee? Do people park their cars in the residential areas in Ithaca during the weekday and then park in Hughes parking lot during the weekend? Would that be feasible?

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Mon May 24, 2010 12:42 pm

cicely101 wrote:So I'm living in Hughes next year and want to bring my car, is there any way around paying that $600 parking permit fee? Do people park their cars in the residential areas in Ithaca during the weekday and then park in Hughes parking lot during the weekend? Would that be feasible?

It would be doable, but inconvenient. Collegetown is mostly permit and metered parking, but if you are willing to walk ten minutes or so, you can usually find a spot.

ddp

Postby ddp » Mon May 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Thu May 27, 2010 9:08 am

What cell service gets the best reception in Ithaca?

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Do you guys know of a high quality furniture store in Ithaca? I am thinking of buying everything on Ikea online, but if there is a quality store in Ithaca, I could save the shipping costs.

Thanks!

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Thu May 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Anyone familiar with the "Southside" neighborhood? I found a nice house there, but the neighborhood seems a bit, er, transitional.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri May 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Big Tuna wrote:What cell service gets the best reception in Ithaca?

In my experience Verizon and AT&T both get great reception. If you're traveling outside of Ithaca into the wilderness of Central New York, Verizon has much better coverage. I don't know about other services.

Ronaldo wrote:Do you guys know of a high quality furniture store in Ithaca? I am thinking of buying everything on Ikea online, but if there is a quality store in Ithaca, I could save the shipping costs.

Thanks!

There are a few high quality furniture stores that are very over priced. Then there are some normal furniture stores. I got my couch at a normal furniture store, and I was pleased with the price/delivery/quality etc. If you can stand to be without furniture for a bit, I would get to Ithaca, check things out, and then see if you want to buy here or order things. Except for a bed, obviously. I'd buy one of those ASAP.

NeXP wrote:Anyone familiar with the "Southside" neighborhood? I found a nice house there, but the neighborhood seems a bit, er, transitional.

I have definitely been around the Southside neighborhood, and know a few students who live right on the cusp of it, and have a professor who lives in that neighborhood. It seems like a delightful place to me, and walking distance to the commons, which is good for getting waffles or coffee or cooking accessories.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
NeXP wrote:Anyone familiar with the "Southside" neighborhood? I found a nice house there, but the neighborhood seems a bit, er, transitional.

I have definitely been around the Southside neighborhood, and know a few students who live right on the cusp of it, and have a professor who lives in that neighborhood. It seems like a delightful place to me, and walking distance to the commons, which is good for getting waffles or coffee or cooking accessories.

Waffle Frolic!

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri May 28, 2010 4:56 pm

kn6542 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

Waffle Frolic!

Waffle Frolic is good stuff, but for plain old good waffles they ain't got nothing on Maté Factor.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

Waffle Frolic!

Waffle Frolic is good stuff, but for plain old good waffles they ain't got nothing on Maté Factor.

Yeah, that's true. I do like saying Waffle Frolic, though.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Fri May 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Hey guys,

I am going to live downtown. I have a car but I wanted to sell it to reduce the loan amount.

Do you guys recommend just taking the bus to school or keep the car? I was leaning taking the bus since at ASW it seemed that the bus option was convenient.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Fri May 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Ronaldo wrote:Hey guys,

I am going to live downtown. I have a car but I wanted to sell it to reduce the loan amount.

Do you guys recommend just taking the bus to school or keep the car? I was leaning taking the bus since at ASW it seemed that the bus option was convenient.

The biggest problem I had with not having a car 1L year was shopping. Taking the bus to Wegmans or Tops or Aldis turns a 45 minute grocery trip into a 3 hour ordeal. Taking a cab back is an option too, but that just feels silly to me.

All in all, given how things are more spread out than I was used to in Chicago, having a car is a big plus. I think it more than outweighs the loan costs, even with insurance and gas and maintenance costs, given the time it will save and the freedom it will give.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sat May 29, 2010 12:09 am

fsohn wrote:

The biggest problem I had with not having a car 1L year was shopping. Taking the bus to Wegmans or Tops or Aldis turns a 45 minute grocery trip into a 3 hour ordeal. Taking a cab back is an option too, but that just feels silly to me.

All in all, given how things are more spread out than I was used to in Chicago, having a car is a big plus. I think it more than outweighs the loan costs, even with insurance and gas and maintenance costs, given the time it will save and the freedom it will give.

Yeah, I think having a car helps a lot with getting errands done. Even WITH a car, I thought grocery shopping, etc just took too long in Ithaca. Srsly, unless you think you can get a good amount of $$ for your car, maybe hang on to it. If you do think you can get enough $ from the car to make a real dent in the amount of loans you need to take out, sell it, use the money to offset loans, but set aside 2k-ish to buy some used thing to tool around in while you're in law school.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat May 29, 2010 9:51 am

On top of what's already been mentioned, there is stuff to which you might want access in the general vicinity of Ithaca. There is a pretty kick-ass outlet mall an hour-ish away. If you fly at all, flights are usually cheaper and more direct from the Syracuse airport (about an hour away). If you plan to go to New York or Philadelphia or Boston etc. on the weekends, a car is considered by many to be preferable to the bus. A lot of my classmates got by this past year without cars, so it is definitely doable, but if you have the option, I think it would be worth it to hold onto the car.

Also, you might think that you'd be able to get rides to grocery shop with other people -- don't bank on it. Not because people are jerks and won't give you a ride (people generally seem nice about it), but just because the times and places people study and shop never quite seem to match up right. I was always trying to do grocery shopping with friends, but the times I could do it never matched up with the times they could, and you generally can't just leave from the law school since most people don't drive to campus.

mec30

Postby mec30 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:17 am

How cheap or not cheap is parking at your apartment complex? Is it usually enclosed?

Also, I can afford a relatively cheap Miata. This wouldn't be a problem in California, but what do you think about this car for the winters there?

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Sat May 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks for the insight... What about the car share? Cornell pays for the subscription fee of 50 dlls and it is like 8 dlls an hour and .20 dll a mile

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:15 pm

mec30 wrote:How cheap or not cheap is parking at your apartment complex? Is it usually enclosed?

Also, I can afford a relatively cheap Miata. This wouldn't be a problem in California, but what do you think about this car for the winters there?

Parking is usually included in an apt lease, but I am just guessing that isn't always the case in Collegetown. I mean, that is something you would talk to the landlord about before signing.

If you haven't already bought this MIata, I would suggest getting something else, but if you already own it, it won't be impossible to make do with it. A Miata will be drivable most of the time that you are in Ithaca. It doesn't start to snow until Nov-Dec and tapers off by March (and you will likely be gone Mid-Dec to Mid-Jan for break anyway). The worst of it is during break, but there is snow during the months you are there. During those months, you will want to have snow tires on and will need to avoid driving when the snow is coming down hard and they can't plow everything fast enough. You're undoubtably going to have trouble with the hills. I'm also just assuming you know how to handle a vehicle in the snow. If you don't, you should just stay off the road unless it's dry.
There WILL be many days where driving a Miata even with snow tires is pretty much asking for it. It's not exactly an all access vehicle. To reiterate, if you're buying a Miata NOW to drive during law school, and you're going to Cornell, that's just idiotic. Get a subaru or something.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sat May 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Will the hippies throw rocks at me for driving a pickup?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:25 pm

vexion wrote:Will the hippies throw rocks at me for driving a pickup?

There are a lot of trucks in Ithaca. You'd be surprised. Some dude screamed "nice truck" at me the other day. No rock throwing thus far.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Sat May 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks for the insight... What about the car share? Cornell pays for the subscription fee of 50 dlls and it is like 8 dlls an hour and .20 dll a mile

jks289

Postby jks289 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Sort of random question, what are we going to need to do over winter break? I am trying to schedule vacation (long story) but realized I have no idea if we are actually off from 12/17-1/18, or if I'll need to be studying, writing, or summer job searching. Can any one tell me if planning to be on a beach with no phone or internet for two weeks is a bad idea?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”