Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:13 am

I've been told by one of my various pointless mentors that it's not hard to get into other markets with good reason. For example, I plan on going back to Chicago, since I'm from there, and have been told that's not a problem. My mentor applied only to DC, and he got an offer.

Darth Topher
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Darth Topher » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 am

Do you think that many 1L students get summer jobs with firms at Cornell?



Also, DO a majority of students at Cornell intend on practicing in NYC or is it more diverse? (Ex. Going to practice in DC, Chicago, Texas, LA, etc...)

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 am

The last stats I saw (and, as people on this board will attest, I am horrid with numbers of any sort) were that about 25% of people do firm work in their 1L summer. This probably has to do with a lot of things. First, 1L SA positions are probably usually given to the elite of the elite at HYS. Second, plenty of the kids who would do SA in their 1L year probably want to avoid corporate whoredom for as long as possible. Third, Cornell has an awesome public interest fellowship program, guaranteeing funding for a very broad base of public interest work. All that said, I think if you can find a smaller market where you have connections(I'm thinking of Cleveland, where I have lots of family), it shouldn't be too difficult if you have your heart set on it. Realize though that smaller secondary markets like Cleveland, Phoenix, and the like will not pay the 3000/wk that DC, NYC, and Chicago firms pay.

Darth Topher
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Darth Topher » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:33 am

fsohn wrote:The last stats I saw (and, as people on this board will attest, I am horrid with numbers of any sort) were that about 25% of people do firm work in their 1L summer. This probably has to do with a lot of things. First, 1L SA positions are probably usually given to the elite of the elite at HYS. Second, plenty of the kids who would do SA in their 1L year probably want to avoid corporate whoredom for as long as possible. Third, Cornell has an awesome public interest fellowship program, guaranteeing funding for a very broad base of public interest work. All that said, I think if you can find a smaller market where you have connections(I'm thinking of Cleveland, where I have lots of family), it shouldn't be too difficult if you have your heart set on it. Realize though that smaller secondary markets like Cleveland, Phoenix, and the like will not pay the 3000/wk that DC, NYC, and Chicago firms pay.



I worded my question badly...

I meant to emphasize the idea that "Does Cornell place grads nationally after graduation?"

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:19 am

Darth Topher wrote:
fsohn wrote:The last stats I saw (and, as people on this board will attest, I am horrid with numbers of any sort) were that about 25% of people do firm work in their 1L summer. This probably has to do with a lot of things. First, 1L SA positions are probably usually given to the elite of the elite at HYS. Second, plenty of the kids who would do SA in their 1L year probably want to avoid corporate whoredom for as long as possible. Third, Cornell has an awesome public interest fellowship program, guaranteeing funding for a very broad base of public interest work. All that said, I think if you can find a smaller market where you have connections(I'm thinking of Cleveland, where I have lots of family), it shouldn't be too difficult if you have your heart set on it. Realize though that smaller secondary markets like Cleveland, Phoenix, and the like will not pay the 3000/wk that DC, NYC, and Chicago firms pay.



I worded my question badly...

I meant to emphasize the idea that "Does Cornell place grads nationally after graduation?"


I think this is largely self-selection, but this is from our career services website:

Geographic Distribution

* In New York State: 65%
* Outside New York State: 34%
* Employed outside U.S.: 1%
* Number of states in which employed: 24

I know that a sizable minority goes to California afterward, and I hear we're fairly well represented in Atlanta, DC, and Chicago.
Last edited by 18488 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wuhoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby wuhoo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:06 pm

ditto, much of our placement in NYC seems to be due to self-selection. I know people who did just fine interviewing in DC or Chicago with some excellent firms. Cali is a bit harder to get unless you have a reasonable connection to the area, but it's possible, IP work in CA especially so.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:35 pm

neskerdoo wrote:woeisme, what class has 4 sections? I am looking at the registrar schedule and I see only groups of 3...


My property class is the only one, I think. It has sections B, C, D, and F.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Darth Topher wrote:
fsohn wrote:The last stats I saw (and, as people on this board will attest, I am horrid with numbers of any sort) were that about 25% of people do firm work in their 1L summer. This probably has to do with a lot of things. First, 1L SA positions are probably usually given to the elite of the elite at HYS. Second, plenty of the kids who would do SA in their 1L year probably want to avoid corporate whoredom for as long as possible. Third, Cornell has an awesome public interest fellowship program, guaranteeing funding for a very broad base of public interest work. All that said, I think if you can find a smaller market where you have connections(I'm thinking of Cleveland, where I have lots of family), it shouldn't be too difficult if you have your heart set on it. Realize though that smaller secondary markets like Cleveland, Phoenix, and the like will not pay the 3000/wk that DC, NYC, and Chicago firms pay.



I worded my question badly...

I meant to emphasize the idea that "Does Cornell place grads nationally after graduation?"


Yes.

Darth Topher
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Darth Topher » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:21 pm

Are there many people from the mid-west at the law school? I would assume there are many from the east coast and some west coast people



Also, is the student body pretty politically diverse? Just curious...

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:32 pm

There are plenty of Chicagoans. Dunno about the rest of the Midwest.

As for politics, I dunno. There is the predictable "liberal" bias of higher ed to some degree, but I don't get the sense that the student body in the law school (at least the 1L population) is too active in politics. No time, I guess.

User avatar
neskerdoo
Posts: 599
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby neskerdoo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 pm

Any more questions?!?!!

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Which Cornell TLSer is the most eager to answer questions?

User avatar
69sofine
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 69sofine » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Can you describe what "Ithaca is gorges" means to you?

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:37 pm

Ithaca has lots of gorges. They are pretty. That pretty much sums it up.

User avatar
69sofine
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 69sofine » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:46 pm

sbrown83 wrote:Ithaca has lots of gorges. They are pretty. That pretty much sums it up.


That was less personal than I was looking for.

Darth Topher
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Darth Topher » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:47 pm

The whole Cornell setting seems like some "harry potter hogwarts" type shit

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:24 pm

Darth Topher wrote:The whole Cornell setting seems like some "harry potter hogwarts" type shit

ROFL

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:36 pm

haha, one of my friend's facebook status last week was something like "Weather is nice at Hogwarts" or something to that effect.

User avatar
lsat_fear
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby lsat_fear » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:24 pm

How would you describe your quality of life in Ithaca?

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:49 pm

Compared to life in Chicago, not so good. Objectively, not bad. Ithaca is certainly no more than what you make of it.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby kn6542 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 pm

fsohn wrote:Compared to life in Chicago, not so good. Objectively, not bad. Ithaca is certainly no more than what you make of it.

I'd say the opposite. I hated life in Chicago. Of course, I lived in Hyde Park. Off topic, but I especially miss "seven-seven", who had only one working arm because he got drunk and drove directly into a wall. He'd scream "Albino!" at me if he saw me anywhere around town.
But really, Ithaca, is gorges. My apt is old and funky but I have a private little gorge in back, and it suits me fine.
I still maintain that Ithaca is Boulder's nerdy little cousin.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:56 pm

kn6542 wrote:
fsohn wrote:Compared to life in Chicago, not so good. Objectively, not bad. Ithaca is certainly no more than what you make of it.

I'd say the opposite. I hated life in Chicago. Of course, I lived in Hyde Park. Off topic, but I especially miss "seven-seven", who had only one working arm because he got drunk and drove directly into a wall. He'd scream "Albino!" at me if he saw me anywhere around town.
But really, Ithaca, is gorges. My apt is old and funky but I have a private little gorge in back, and it suits me fine.
I still maintain that Ithaca is Boulder's nerdy little cousin.


I'd certainly rather live in Chicago, ... but Ithaca is debatably better for law school. No complaints from this Chicago native. 8)

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LeahNic » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm a Houston native and I do miss my shopping. :-( And I also know the next four months are going to be nothing like the winter in Houston. But, for a small town, I love Ithaca. I think its great. And I dont have money to do anything anyway-- so its makes more sense to be here.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:39 pm

Hey guys, quick question here: is Cornell awesome?

Thanks in advance.

18488
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:57 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby 18488 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:41 pm

on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being not so awesome and 10 being as awesome as possible, i'd give cornell about a 9.5.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clemenceau and 2 guests