Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:22 pm

violinst wrote:How is the graded Lawyering class? Is it a (huge and unnecessary) burden or is it intellectually stimulating enough to offset the grading disadvantage?


It's boring, and it's not fair that it's graded. It will get you a writing sample, but not much more.

Also, it is almost a guaranteed B+.

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby violinst » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:59 pm

fsohn wrote:
violinst wrote:How is the graded Lawyering class? Is it a (huge and unnecessary) burden or is it intellectually stimulating enough to offset the grading disadvantage?


It's boring, and it's not fair that it's graded. It will get you a writing sample, but not much more.

Also, it is almost a guaranteed B+.


Thanks. Also good to know about the B+.

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby violinst » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Are there many free meals provided by the various law student associations?

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:50 pm

violinst wrote:How is the graded Lawyering class? Is it a (huge and unnecessary) burden or is it intellectually stimulating enough to offset the grading disadvantage?


The grading isn't a big deal. Pretty tightly curved anyway. It's intellectually stimulating to a degree, I guess. I mean it's going to be more stimulating than at most other schools where it's just the basics with a pass/fail.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:51 pm

violinst wrote:Are there many free meals provided by the various law student associations?


Free food on the regular, yes.

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby violinst » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 pm

woeisme wrote:
violinst wrote:How is the graded Lawyering class? Is it a (huge and unnecessary) burden or is it intellectually stimulating enough to offset the grading disadvantage?


The grading isn't a big deal. Pretty tightly curved anyway. It's intellectually stimulating to a degree, I guess. I mean it's going to be more stimulating than at most other schools where it's just the basics with a pass/fail.


Is the school in general relatively tightly curved?

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:36 pm

violinst wrote:
woeisme wrote:
violinst wrote:How is the graded Lawyering class? Is it a (huge and unnecessary) burden or is it intellectually stimulating enough to offset the grading disadvantage?


The grading isn't a big deal. Pretty tightly curved anyway. It's intellectually stimulating to a degree, I guess. I mean it's going to be more stimulating than at most other schools where it's just the basics with a pass/fail.


Is the school in general relatively tightly curved?


Definitely, but I don't know how it compares to Michigan (I saw that's your other option). Grades primarily range from like B- to A, with B+ being average. Some classes will also give one or two C/C+s or A+s. Lawyering, in particular, is tightly curved though. Also, the tightness of the curve varies with professor. But yeah, as compared to many other lower ranked schools, it's tighter than ... eh, I'll refrain from making any metaphors.

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby violinst » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:51 pm

I know that this has been asked many times before, but I really have to ask it again. I have searched the forum quite a bit and got the impression that Cornell students seem to spend more (slightly, perhaps) time studying than students at other schools do.

Is this true?
If so, is it because
1) they have nothing else to do (so the study may not be that intense),
2) the course load (due to things like the grade lawyering class) is heavier,
3) people are quite competitive,
4) something else?

Thanks!

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:01 pm

violinst wrote:I know that this has been asked many times before, but I really have to ask it again. I have searched the forum quite a bit and got the impression that Cornell students seem to spend more (slightly, perhaps) time studying than students at other schools do.

Is this true?
If so, is it because
1) they have nothing else to do (so the study may not be that intense),
2) the course load (due to things like the grade lawyering class) is heavier,
3) people are quite competitive,
4) something else?

Thanks!


It's hard to say whether or not people study more here than other places, but I kind of doubt that it's really true. That's definitely a rumor because of that questionable survey that came out years ago. But yeah, I mean, it's law school, but I can't imagine it's more work here than elsewhere. You'll have some people who constantly study no matter where you go, but most people here go out frequently and stuff.

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby vexion » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Can I take a stab as a 0L? I'm reeeeally bored...

violinst wrote:Is the school in general relatively tightly curved?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves. Cornell's imposed curve (confirmed on their website) is a 3.35, which is the 2nd-most favorable on the list of reported curves. Having read through practically all the Cornell advice TLS has to offer, I know it's strictly enforced: professors of 1L courses have to ensure that the median in their class is a 3.35.

violinst wrote:I have searched the forum quite a bit and got the impression that Cornell students seem to spend more (slightly, perhaps) time studying than students at other schools do.

Is this true?

This is covered more on p. 24 of this thread than anywhere else I've seen. This notion stems from Princeton Review's "Best 170 Law Schools," released a couple years ago, where they ostensibly surveyed 18,000 students who revealed, among other things, that Cornell Law students study more than those at any other law school. The reported average was 5.97 hours a day, and this was significantly higher than the rest of the T14.

The general consensus I've seen from current students seems to run along three lines:

  1. Cornell has a heavier courseload then some schools, with 16 hours the first semester, and a graded writing course. This, coupled with the supposed harder workload at Cornell University in general, leads to longer study time.
  2. There's less to do in Ithaca than at some other schools, and it's cold, so sometimes there's nothing better to do than hole up in the library and "study."
  3. Students are counting Facebook or Starbucks runs as "study time," or just outright exaggerating how much they actually study.

To date, from the 1-3Ls, I haven't heard anecdotal evidence of people who average six hours a day. Some six hour days, sure, but an average, no.

/actual current students, please correct me

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby violinst » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 pm

I heard that the NYC job market is picking up recently because of the Goldman probe. Is that the case? Are more Cornell students getting offers right now? Are the career service people easily accessible (for mock interviews, for example), knowledgeable, and pragmatic?

LeahNic
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby LeahNic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:19 pm

I don't think we will know anything about the current NY market until our 1Ls go through the job fair in August. The career services people get mixed reviews. They are definitely available for mock interviews, and I have had very good experiences with them, but I know some are not as pleased. It sometimes depends on who you go to.

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:10 am

violinst wrote:I heard that the NYC job market is picking up recently because of the Goldman probe. Is that the case? Are more Cornell students getting offers right now? Are the career service people easily accessible (for mock interviews, for example), knowledgeable, and pragmatic?


Career Services is hit and miss. Liz Peck is wonderful. The rest of them, well, mamma always said, if you can't say something nice. . . .

AFAIK, there are no offers forthcoming to the swath of 2Ls without jobs. The word from Career Services is that there will be at most 2-3 interview slots per firm at firms looking to hire 3Ls, with many firms abstaining altogether.

As a side note, I think it is a sad thing that we have become subject to vagaries of misguided Federal lawsuits against large banks for our employment prospects, if what you report is true. So much for the good old days of 2005, when a young Cornell Law graduate could look forward to something other than debt slavery.

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby violinst » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:45 am

fsohn wrote:
violinst wrote:I heard that the NYC job market is picking up recently because of the Goldman probe. Is that the case? Are more Cornell students getting offers right now? Are the career service people easily accessible (for mock interviews, for example), knowledgeable, and pragmatic?


Career Services is hit and miss. Liz Peck is wonderful. The rest of them, well, mamma always said, if you can't say something nice. . . .

AFAIK, there are no offers forthcoming to the swath of 2Ls without jobs. The word from Career Services is that there will be at most 2-3 interview slots per firm at firms looking to hire 3Ls, with many firms abstaining altogether.

As a side note, I think it is a sad thing that we have become subject to vagaries of misguided Federal lawsuits against large banks for our employment prospects, if what you report is true. So much for the good old days of 2005, when a young Cornell Law graduate could look forward to something other than debt slavery.


Thanks for the info.

Lawyers do tend to feed on disputes and misfortunes.

User avatar
Big Tuna
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Big Tuna » Mon May 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Do any law students go to the football games or is that more of an undergrad thing?

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby holybartender » Tue May 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Big Tuna wrote:Do any law students go to the football games or is that more of an undergrad thing?


I don't care if anyone else goes but I am for sure going.

User avatar
Big Tuna
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Big Tuna » Tue May 04, 2010 3:01 pm

holybartender wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Do any law students go to the football games or is that more of an undergrad thing?


I don't care if anyone else goes but I am for sure going.


What is Ivy League football like though? I am used to legitimate D-1 college football...

User avatar
holybartender
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby holybartender » Tue May 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Bad. My undergrad didn't have a team so anything would be an improvement.

User avatar
sheltron5000
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sheltron5000 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Football is generally not a big thing at cornell anyway, but plenty of 1Ls went to both football and basketball games this year.

User avatar
matt386
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby matt386 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
holybartender wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Do any law students go to the football games or is that more of an undergrad thing?


I don't care if anyone else goes but I am for sure going.


What is Ivy League football like though? I am used to legitimate D-1 college football...


2009 Football Results: 2-8 (1-6 Ivy), ended on a 8 game losing streak. Went to a lot of basketball games though, which were fun.

However, I'd gladly join any of you in watching REAL college football games anytime :D

User avatar
Big Tuna
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Big Tuna » Wed May 05, 2010 10:12 am

matt386 wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:
holybartender wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:Do any law students go to the football games or is that more of an undergrad thing?


I don't care if anyone else goes but I am for sure going.


What is Ivy League football like though? I am used to legitimate D-1 college football...


2009 Football Results: 2-8 (1-6 Ivy), ended on a 8 game losing streak. Went to a lot of basketball games though, which were fun.

However, I'd gladly join any of you in watching REAL college football games anytime :D


Syracuse v Pittsburgh and v UConn might be worthwhile, also ND v Army @ Yankee Stadium and v Navy @ Giant Stadium.

sjsteece
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sjsteece » Thu May 06, 2010 5:08 am

There will probably be some OU/LSU barbecues at our place. Although I just realized this means we'll have to buy a tv...

fsohn
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby fsohn » Thu May 06, 2010 1:07 pm

sjsteece wrote:There will probably be some OU/LSU barbecues at our place. Although I just realized this means we'll have to buy a tv...


Tell me sjsteece, do you like or dislike this picture? Because I love it, because OU sucks.

Image

sjsteece
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sjsteece » Thu May 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Ouch, fsohn- now if I was a true Sooner we'd have some problems. Fortunately I am just an enthusiastic hostess with a husband who likes college football. And while I am no sports fan, I'm pretty sure he's only crying because he's in Texas.

User avatar
matt386
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby matt386 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:54 pm

fsohn wrote:
sjsteece wrote:There will probably be some OU/LSU barbecues at our place. Although I just realized this means we'll have to buy a tv...


Tell me sjsteece, do you like or dislike this picture? Because I love it, because OU sucks.

Image


I remember that year pretty well. Wasn't that the one Texas choked away the Big 12 South title by losing the last two games to mediocre Kansas State and Texas A&M teams, letting OU win the Big 12 Championship?

It must really suck beating your rival and still losing to them in the end... twice in 3 years :lol:




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: playersball and 1 guest