Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
panda

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby panda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:44 pm

neskerdoo wrote:haha

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 pm

panda wrote:
fsohn wrote:
abceasy wrote:Can anyone speak to how OCI was this past year? I know it's been down everywhere. Any insight into how it's gone for people trying to get summer positions?

It was as aweful as you could possibly imagine. The best advice I have is to structure your bidding so that you get as many interviews as you can, with the least-selective firms as you can. Be as conservative as possible, and don't trust anyone telling you anything else.

Well, tbf, at the firm receptions i've been to until now, they said that the current 2Ls were just really unlucky for their bad timing. But now, most firms are back to hiring normally, and come fall, it should be back to normal.

Read: you are a cog that we will dump at the first sign of harm to our PPP.

Panda, in my situation, you are frankly wrong. I don't want to toot my own horn, but the fact that I didn't get a job is really beyond "not as good as hoped for." I readily admit to lacking perspective, but any talk of the "long run" is not very comforting when 150K in debt stares you in the face.

Anyone who wants to know how much it sucked can PM, though--this discussion need not go any further in the pseudo-public of the internet.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 pm

So not an important question, but something that popped into mind as I was looking for a power outlet, how easy is it to find power in the classrooms? Is there one plug per seat under the tables like I have seen at some schools, or do you have to sit in certain spots to have access to power?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:13 pm

CyLaw wrote:So not an important question, but something that popped into mind as I was looking for a power outlet, how easy is it to find power in the classrooms? Is there one plug per seat under the tables like I have seen at some schools, or do you have to sit in certain spots to have access to power?

Only a couple small seminar rooms require sitting in certain spots. Nearly all the classrooms (and definitely all the 1L classes) have an outlet for every seat.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:16 pm

woeisme wrote:
CyLaw wrote:So not an important question, but something that popped into mind as I was looking for a power outlet, how easy is it to find power in the classrooms? Is there one plug per seat under the tables like I have seen at some schools, or do you have to sit in certain spots to have access to power?

Only a couple small seminar rooms require sitting in certain spots. Nearly all the classrooms (and definitely all the 1L classes) have an outlet for every seat.

Thanks for the quick response.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 am

How difficult is it to get into the JD/Master in Global Business Law at cornell? Im not fluent in French yet, but I taking an introductory course (Im in my last semester of UG now) and I plan to study during my gap year (I will send out applications next cycle). In addition I plan on taking a couple of semesters during my 1L. Its my understanding that you can apply for the program during your first year but I am wondering how competitive the application process is. Do a lot of people apply? Is your application a total write-off if you are not fluent at the time of application? I did my undergrad in a foreign country and I have already become fluent in a much more challenging (asian) language, so I have a proven capacity for picking up second languages in a short amount of time.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:16 am

thomas85 wrote:How difficult is it to get into the JD/Master in Global Business Law at cornell? Im not fluent in French yet, but I taking an introductory course (Im in my last semester of UG now) and I plan to study during my gap year (I will send out applications next cycle). In addition I plan on taking a couple of semesters during my 1L. Its my understanding that you can apply for the program during your first year but I am wondering how competitive the application process is. Do a lot of people apply? Is your application a total write-off if you are not fluent at the time of application? I did my undergrad in a foreign country and I have already become fluent in a much more challenging (asian) language, so I have a proven capacity for picking up second languages in a short amount of time.

Why bother with it? That sounds like an awful lot of work and you don't seem like you otherwise are all that passionate about French. It'll probably be pretty difficult to get without more experience. Also, not sure you're permitted to take French classes during your 1L.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 am

woeisme wrote:
thomas85 wrote:How difficult is it to get into the JD/Master in Global Business Law at cornell? Im not fluent in French yet, but I taking an introductory course (Im in my last semester of UG now) and I plan to study during my gap year (I will send out applications next cycle). In addition I plan on taking a couple of semesters during my 1L. Its my understanding that you can apply for the program during your first year but I am wondering how competitive the application process is. Do a lot of people apply? Is your application a total write-off if you are not fluent at the time of application? I did my undergrad in a foreign country and I have already become fluent in a much more challenging (asian) language, so I have a proven capacity for picking up second languages in a short amount of time.

Why bother with it? That sounds like an awful lot of work and you don't seem like you otherwise are all that passionate about French. It'll probably be pretty difficult to get without more experience. Also, not sure you're permitted to take French classes during your 1L.

Ha, yeah I guess I am kind of a masochist. I have always wanted to speak french but I have been really preoccupied during my UG with another language. I guess I am kind of looking to balance out my experience in Asia with some European expertise. Plus, you get to spend 2yrs in Paris and you can take the french bar - why wouldn't you want to do it?!

What kind of restrictions are put on your class choices during 1L at cornell? I was under the impression that you were allowed to take classes in other departments as a law student.

como

Postby como » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:47 am

thomas85 wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Ha, yeah I guess I am kind of a masochist. I have always wanted to speak french but I have been really preoccupied during my UG with another language. I guess I am kind of looking to balance out my experience in Asia with some European expertise. Plus, you get to spend 2yrs in Paris and you can take the french bar - why wouldn't you want to do it?!

What kind of restrictions are put on your class choices during 1L at cornell? I was under the impression that you were allowed to take classes in other departments as a law student.

Good luck. The people I know in that are totally bilingual, and a couple of them are trilingual.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 am

thomas85 wrote:Ha, yeah I guess I am kind of a masochist. I have always wanted to speak french but I have been really preoccupied during my UG with another language. I guess I am kind of looking to balance out my experience in Asia with some European expertise. Plus, you get to spend 2yrs in Paris and you can take the french bar - why wouldn't you want to do it?!

You are allowed to take classes in other departments and you do have crazy flexibility in course selection. But I don't think you can take advantage of that until 2L. As far as I'm aware, 1Ls have no ability to pick their classes. The 1L curriculum is pre-assigned.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:03 am

como wrote:
thomas85 wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Good luck. The people I know in that are totally bilingual, and a couple of them are trilingual.

Its pretty competitive. You'll want to contact Claire Germaine if you are really interested in it. They get something like 100 applications for their two spots a year. You definitely need to be fluent when you apply, but you can apply after your first year so if you're really a language wiz then it might be doable, very difficult though.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:19 pm

100 Huh? I figured it was probably pretty competitive. This is all pretty interesting, thanks for all the info -

ninjagirl

Postby ninjagirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Do any of you current Cornell law students live in/near Downtown and the Commons and bus in? It *seems* like it would be a reasonable thing to do, but when I visited, some people strongly urged me to live no more than six blocks away.

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:56 pm

ninjagirl wrote:Do any of you current Cornell law students live in/near Downtown and the Commons and bus in? It *seems* like it would be a reasonable thing to do, but when I visited, some people strongly urged me to live no more than six blocks away.

It's totally doable. I know several people who bus in (we're talking about 5-10 minute bus rides, max), myself included, and we all do fine. It takes *slightly* more planning, but Ithaca's so small and the buses generally so convenient that as long as you're walking distance to the commons, you can easily go home for dinner and come back up to study or whatever.

Plus, the savings in rent totally make up for any inconvenience.

night06

Postby night06 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Two questions...

1) What's the social life like? I realize that's a vague question... I guess I just want reassurance that life at Cornell isn't all work and daily 6-hour study sessions.

2) Someone in another thread mentioned that he got the feeling (from his ASW visit) that everyone at Cornell - students, professors, administrators - is pretty single-minded about the focus on NYC-biglaw. For someone with zero interest in that field, this doesn't sound too appealing. Is there any truth to it?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:54 pm

night06 wrote:Two questions...

1) What's the social life like? I realize that's a vague question... I guess I just want reassurance that life at Cornell isn't all work and daily 6-hour study sessions.

It can be all work. But it isn't for most people. My 1L year was really social.
night06 wrote:
2) Someone in another thread mentioned that he got the feeling (from his ASW visit) that everyone at Cornell - students, professors, administrators - is pretty single-minded about the focus on NYC-biglaw. For someone with zero interest in that field, this doesn't sound too appealing. Is there any truth to it?

NYC Biglaw is the single most popular step after law school, but it by no means is the only one. Many people go elsewhere and a number of people are doing public interest. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:00 pm

You'll have time to do stuff. Depends on what you're looking for. Ppl seem to drink a lot. You may not want to hang out with law students all the time, but there are precisely 3 cool ppl in the town of ithaca. Enjoy.

night06 wrote:2) Someone in another thread mentioned that he got the feeling (from his ASW visit) that everyone at Cornell - students, professors, administrators - is pretty single-minded about the focus on NYC-biglaw. For someone with zero interest in that field, this doesn't sound too appealing. Is there any truth to it?

I don't really think so. Many ppl are looking at other markets. Depending on what you are after, you might need to do some of your own leg work, but that's not so terrible. I'm also rather baffled at what it would mean for professors to be single minded about a focus on NYC-biglaw. I think most of them are single minded focused on an academic career and shit and aren't all that concerned with what you do.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 pm

1) You can be as social as you want to be, though as kn said, it's difficult to meet non-Law School folks, let alone non-Cornell folks.

2) Career Services is extremely focussed on NYC BigLaw, and that's a fact. The Chicago Job Fair was a joke. That said, the name carries well, and a lot of people go to other East Coast markets (Boston, DC) and Texas. It's not too hard to find something outside of NYC, but it takes much more of your own work, for sure.

night06

Postby night06 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks, guys.

One more question:

Do you know anyone's who's done a semester abroad? Any thoughts on it? Cornell seems to have a lot of options on this front; I'm particularly interested in the University College London program.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:09 pm

night06 wrote:Thanks, guys.

One more question:

Do you know anyone's who's done a semester abroad? Any thoughts on it? Cornell seems to have a lot of options on this front; I'm particularly interested in the University College London program.

Seems like a lot of ppl do it 3L year. I think maybe less so this year bc ppl are concerned about being gone in the fall for the 3L job hunt. I think the London program is a tad pricey, imo, but not prohibitively so.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Hey guys!

I've read through this thread cover-to-cover by now. Thanks for the very informative posts!

I was wondering if anyone had taken the Securities Law clinic (http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/academ ... ities-law/) or could at least speak to its quality. I know 2- and 3Ls are more scarce in this thread, and on top of that that it's probably faaar too early for me to be eyeing upper-level courses. But if anyone knows about the level of time commitment it requires, how difficult it is to get into, how many people it accepts, the quality of the instruction or anything else, it would be greatly appreciated!

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 am

night06 wrote:Thanks, guys.

One more question:

Generally, about 40 people in the 3L class will study abroad in the fall. I think this year we only have 26 going though. The director of the program said that almost everyone gets their number 1 choice of a spot, and they have never NOT been able to place someone that was willing to go to more than 1 place.

I do think there are only 2 open spots for the London program each semester, but I could be wrong on that. Regardless, I have several friends going in the fall and they all got their number 1 choice.

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:06 am

vexion wrote:Hey guys!

I've read through this thread cover-to-cover by now. Thanks for the very informative posts!

I was wondering if anyone had taken the Securities Law clinic (http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/academ ... ities-law/) or could at least speak to its quality. I know 2- and 3Ls are more scarce in this thread, and on top of that that it's probably faaar too early for me to be eyeing upper-level courses. But if anyone knows about the level of time commitment it requires, how difficult it is to get into, how many people it accepts, the quality of the instruction or anything else, it would be greatly appreciated!

From what I understand it is a fairly heavy work load during the semester. I don't think it is very difficult to get into as it is offered every semester. I've heard both good and bad reviews of the professor.

violinst

Postby violinst » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm

I like Cornell very much, but I have to ask this question:

Why did Cornell drop so badly in the most recent NLJ250 data?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

NYC is also the target market of many other schools, but none of them dropped as badly. This is my only worry about Cornell.

fsohn

Postby fsohn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 pm

violinst wrote:I like Cornell very much, but I have to ask this question:

Why did Cornell drop so badly in the most recent NLJ250 data?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

NYC is also the target market of many other schools, but none of them dropped as badly. This is my only worry about Cornell.

The obvious reason is that we are in the middle of f*cking nowhere. We do not get the same chances to network as ppl from NYU or Columbia for NYC, Chicago and NU for Chicago, etc etc.

Your bigger worry should be about the impending death of Big Law. With apologies to my friends going to BigLaw, welcome to the brave new world of over-educated, under-skilled folks not getting paid $160K to be useless tools for several years.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”