Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sheltron5000

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby sheltron5000 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:00 pm

I dunno about preference, but there seem to be quite a lot of you. I guess maybe they figure that if you guys apply, you already know what ithaca is like so you won't get scared off?

panda

Postby panda » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 pm

como wrote:
sjsteece wrote:Clearly you've never met Kevin from the paper chase. :wink:

Please note: horror stories about professor/classes are also welcome. Mess with our 0L minds a little more.

Had a certain professor ask someone the facts of a case. Student 1 said 'pass'. He moved to the person behind him. Student 2 said 'I didn't really understand this case...' Professor replied 'I suggest you don't go into antitrust law', then proceeded to flip hastily through about 20 slides in all of 90 seconds and tell us class was over, unless we had any questions.

We all did.

you left out the best part: the first dude said "can I pass?"
and the prof. responded: "that has remained to be seen..."
:lol: i <3 our profs.

panda

Postby panda » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:13 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:Wasn't something like 90% of that final based on that one day too? (This is, by enormous leaps and bounds, the worst behavior I've heard of from a professor here).

oh, please. 90% is a huge stretch. and apparently, he does a stunt like that almost every semester (according to another prof..) so, your turn is coming shel! enjoy it! :mrgreen:

LeahNic

Postby LeahNic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 am

masterthearts wrote:
IHeartIthaca wrote:Seems like these kinds of threads are popular. Fire away :)

Obviously, I don't know much about law school yet, and can't tell you how to succeed, but I'll tell you what I can.

Cornell undergrad here with 3.8 GPA, History major. I would love to get into cornell law, even though I'm sick of the freezing weather. I wonder if they give preference to cornell undergrads.
Just curious

I was told they do give preference. I also heard a rumor that Cornell undergrad had a book with stats of Cornell students that made it into Cornell law... not sure if that is true. But, I think you could totally get in as long as your LSAT is somewhat within range.

sjsteece

Postby sjsteece » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:04 am

Yay, Leahnic is back!

mtee

Postby mtee » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:23 pm

Does anyone know anything about externships here? e.g. do many people do them? The prospect of spending a semester in California is very appealing, but the website doesn't give that much info. and I haven't run into anyone that has done one.

panda

Postby panda » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 pm

yes. they are very common, from what I hear, and pretty easy to get too. being a 1L, i obviously don't have any hands-on experience or anything, but I know that many 3Ls in their fall semester did externships or semesters abroad. people went all over: NYC, Chicago.. so I'm sure CA would be an option..

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:13 am

mtee wrote:Does anyone know anything about externships here? e.g. do many people do them? The prospect of spending a semester in California is very appealing, but the website doesn't give that much info. and I haven't run into anyone that has done one.

If you're at cornell, there will be an info mtf about externships in march.

Make that Feb. And it's a mtg, not a mtf.
Last edited by kn6542 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legallybrunette16

Postby legallybrunette16 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:51 pm

I am moving from sunny San Diego to Cornell... do you have any suggestions about what I'll need for the winter? It's 80 degrees in January over here, so I have no idea how I'm going to survive in frozen Ithaca!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

mbw

Postby mbw » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:27 pm

legallybrunette16 wrote:I am moving from sunny San Diego to Cornell... do you have any suggestions about what I'll need for the winter? It's 80 degrees in January over here, so I have no idea how I'm going to survive in frozen Ithaca!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

A lot of people here are from warm climes and [generally] seem to survive. My spouse is from the Central Coast and hasn't bolted yet. Think of it as spending the winter in the Sierras - although, with a lot less snow (at least the past couple of years.) You'll need warm clothes, boots, a good jacket - if you live close to campus, you'll probably need less - farther away, more. The law school building are kept fairly temperate - although I do wish they'd use the massive fireplaces once in a while. Far more disconcerting than the cold is the boredom of Ithaca. Granted, it's great as a motivating device for studying, but....sigh.... (this time two years ago, I was camped out in San Diego for the winter, and am missing it...)

panda

Postby panda » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:34 pm

little things matter:
layers are important because it can be very warm indoors and really cold outside.

you need at least one really good jacket (the puffy northface ones seems to be a favorite).

get good gloves, and some hats, and even earmuffs. these will make it easier if you plan to walk to class. i don't wear a hat or earmuffs, and i'm just fine, but sometimes they help.

good boots that are sturdy and have ridges on the bottom, invest in some to last you the three winters. also heard northface and sorel are good brands for that.. or you can do what i did and just buy really cheap winter boots that you don't mind trudging in sludge in

whatever you do end up buying, don't fret too much about the cold. it is NOT as big a deal as everyone makes it seem. i'd be more concerned about getting used to not living in a city, that always seems to be harder for people to get used to..

como

Postby como » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:25 am

panda wrote:whatever you do end up buying, don't fret too much about the cold. it is NOT as big a deal as everyone makes it seem.

In all fairness though, this has been one of the mildest winters I can remember. The positive attitude is always appreciated though :P

panda

Postby panda » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:20 pm

como wrote:
panda wrote:whatever you do end up buying, don't fret too much about the cold. it is NOT as big a deal as everyone makes it seem.

In all fairness though, this has been one of the mildest winters I can remember. The positive attitude is always appreciated though :P

lol. MI last year was a lot worse. and, someone has to have a positive attitude. :wink:

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Q: Who do I need to bribe to get in?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:43 pm

panda wrote:little things matter:
layers are important because it can be very warm indoors and really cold outside.

you need at least one really good jacket (the puffy northface ones seems to be a favorite).

get good gloves, and some hats, and even earmuffs. these will make it easier if you plan to walk to class. i don't wear a hat or earmuffs, and i'm just fine, but sometimes they help.

good boots that are sturdy and have ridges on the bottom, invest in some to last you the three winters. also heard northface and sorel are good brands for that.. or you can do what i did and just buy really cheap winter boots that you don't mind trudging in sludge in

whatever you do end up buying, don't fret too much about the cold. it is NOT as big a deal as everyone makes it seem. i'd be more concerned about getting used to not living in a city, that always seems to be harder for people to get used to..

When people colloquially use the term "when hell freezes over" are they talking about Ithaca in the winter?

panda

Postby panda » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Gwen wrote:Q: Who do I need to bribe to get in?

me.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 pm

panda wrote:

me.

Do you take dollars or the money of your motherland?

panda

Postby panda » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:54 pm

kittenmittons wrote:When people colloquially use the term "when hell freezes over" are they talking about Ithaca in the winter?

you're supposed to insult cornell in the other thread. hth.

panda

Postby panda » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Gwen wrote:
panda wrote:

me.

Do you take dollars or the money of your motherland?

either. see? people of Cornell are flexible.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:55 pm

panda wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:When people colloquially use the term "when hell freezes over" are they talking about Ithaca in the winter?

you're supposed to insult cornell in the other thread. hth.

Too easy for one thread.

panda

Postby panda » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 pm

posting, because it's just wrong that km is the last poster in this thread.. on so many levels.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm

panda wrote:posting, because it's just wrong that km is the last poster in this thread.. on so many levels.

Shouldn't you be working on your brief so you can get a job outside of upstate NY?

panda

Postby panda » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
panda wrote:posting, because it's just wrong that km is the last poster in this thread.. on so many levels.

Shouldn't you be working on your brief so you can get a job outside of upstate NY?

edited based on the realization that even if i work on my brief, i probably won't get a job outside of upstate NY..

boss

Postby boss » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Does anyone know the process for financial aid?

Do I just fill out the FASFA and the NeedAccess and they'll automatically get the info? Will they request my FASFA information or do I have to affirmatively send it to Cornell?

On another issue, does anyone know how/when I need to send the Dean's Certification? I was under the impression that if you matriculated you needed to send one, regardless of other disciplinary issues.

Thanks for the answers!

panda

Postby panda » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:58 pm

boss wrote:Does anyone know the process for financial aid?

Do I just fill out the FASFA and the NeedAccess and they'll automatically get the info? Will they request my FASFA information or do I have to affirmatively send it to Cornell?

On another issue, does anyone know how/when I need to send the Dean's Certification? I was under the impression that if you matriculated you needed to send one, regardless of other disciplinary issues.

Thanks for the answers!

Hey, so, with regard to financial aid, I can tell you what I know/did. You send them FAFSA and NeedAccess (they usually allow you to send them to 10 schools.. and they send the info for you..) I don't think they automatically get the info.

for the Dean's Certification, it's unclear. last year, it was a requirement to send it with the application, but they changed the system. your best bet is to call the admin office and ask them. also, the same people there work in financial aid, and they usually have all the answers you need for every little detail about the application process. I remember speaking to them many times, esp. about financial aid, and they were always helpful

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”