Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mths

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by mths » Wed May 18, 2011 6:46 pm

vexion wrote:
mths wrote:
vexion wrote: You can barely pick it up in some, like the second-floor classrooms, but trust me, you'll thank the school for the policy once you do catch wireless and not a word the professor says.
Yeah, minesweeper on the other hand....
Expert mode, 168 seconds. Booyah.
I can't say I don't sit and stare at your comp in civpro. Fucking impressive.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Wed May 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Skyhook wrote:So what work do you guys have lined up over the summer?
2L/3L here. Heading to Boston later this week for a job at a firm. Worked for a professor in town last summer.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Wed May 18, 2011 6:53 pm

mths wrote:
Ikki wrote:
I don't think there are that many 2Ls in this thread.
1Ls work too bro

also we're all 2Ls now
What are you doing this summer then?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Is the write-on happening right now? How is/was it?

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Wed May 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Ikki wrote:
mths wrote:
Ikki wrote:
1Ls work too bro

also we're all 2Ls now
on June 16, at exactly 2:38pm, I will take over the world.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed May 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Ikki wrote:
mths wrote:
Ikki wrote:
1Ls work too bro

also we're all 2Ls now
Working with my conlaw professor.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed May 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Is the write-on happening right now? How is/was it?
It's happening. We can't talk about it ;)

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Thu May 19, 2011 12:31 am

mths wrote:I can't say I don't sit and stare at your comp in civpro. Fucking impressive.
I sat in the very back in Civ Pro. That's not even possible.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu May 19, 2011 12:57 am

mths wrote: Working with my conlaw professor.
Nice, how did you land that gig? Was it based on doing well in his/her class, or/and did you show an interest in whatever it is he has going on?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 am

Ikki wrote:
Nice, how did you land that gig? Was it based on doing well in his/her class, or/and did you show an interest in whatever it is he has going on?
He was my favorite prof and I always kept in contact with him and participated in his class which was a small section. Also did well in his class.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 am

vexion wrote:
mths wrote:I can't say I don't sit and stare at your comp in civpro. Fucking impressive.
contracts? crim?

same fucking room for all my classes lol

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu May 19, 2011 7:04 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Is the write-on happening right now? How is/was it?
I did it last year. It was probably the hardest thing I did all year. It was also kind of fun.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu May 19, 2011 9:28 am

People are working all over this summer. Just a sample from people I spoke to yesterday: federal judicial internships, state judicial internships, RAs for professors, union headquarters, ultra conservative legal services, ultra liberal legal services, federal agencies, USAOs, DA offices, PD offices, …

Personally, I am working for a group providing legal services to military members.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu May 19, 2011 9:30 am

mths wrote:
vexion wrote:
contracts? crim?

All classes bleed to one. As one of our classmates put it, all 1L can be summed up by asking W.W.RPP.D?

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Thu May 19, 2011 11:15 am

Ikki wrote: I don't think there are that many 2Ls in this thread.
I'm interested in both 1L and 2L summers.
KMaine wrote:2L/3L here. Heading to Boston later this week for a job at a firm. Worked for a professor in town last summer.
Any ties to Boston? Have fun!
What was working with the prof like?
koalatriste wrote: on June 16, at exactly 2:38pm, I will take over the world.
:shock: Are we in for a nice surprise?
Great! Obviously you'll be doing research, but any idea into what?
Did you have other options on the table for summer work?
CyLaw wrote: People are working all over this summer. Just a sample from people I spoke to yesterday: federal judicial internships, state judicial internships, RAs for professors, union headquarters, ultra conservative legal services, ultra liberal legal services, federal agencies, USAOs, DA offices, PD offices, …

Personally, I am working for a group providing legal services to military members.
Wow - such a range! Does the school have something set up to help students find all of these types of work or do some have to find it by themselves?

Congrats on your position! Sounds like you'll have some interesting work.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:35 am

CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote:
vexion wrote:
contracts? crim?

All classes bleed to one. As one of our classmates put it, all 1L can be summed up by asking W.W.RPP.D?
rpp?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Thu May 19, 2011 12:49 pm

clone22 wrote:rpp?
Reasonably prudent person. Verbiage ripped from Torts, but a concept which pops up in every class but Con Law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Thu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Skyhook wrote:Wow - such a range! Does the school have something set up to help students find all of these types of work or do some have to find it by themselves?
CLS, like all law schools, has a Career Services Office with a couple of resident deans and a few very helpful and involved career counselors who make every effort they can to get students placed into jobs. They have resources ranging from alumni contacts to lists of judiciary contacts, and they bring in firms to wine and dine students, do career panels, whatever.

That said, probably the best lesson you can learn before you even get into the process next spring is that it is not their job to get you a job. They're here to help, as best they can, and they do a good job of it. But this is a tough market, even if it's getting a lot better, and you have to stick your neck out and do a lot of digging to really find a job you want.

Personally, I'm working for a federal district court judge back home this summer. I got the job because I sent out resumes and cover letters December 1st, and I scheduled a bunch of interviews over winter break. The NALP guidelines prevent 1Ls from even talking to employers until December 1st (or talking to Career Services until November 1st.) It's an idiotic rule designed to keep you focused on your studies... but anyway, you can't overestimate the value of being prepared, having your resume edited and re-edited and re-edited and finalized in November, and sending out resumes on the first possible day.

The best piece of advice I have is to read a book called Guerrilla Tactics For Getting The Legal Job Of Your Dreams, by Kimm Walton, now, while you have free time. It's 1,400 pages, but most of it is fluff or repetitive or stuff you can skip over until the relevant time (like the chapter on callbacks.) But it is a great tool for 1Ls to have under their belts before law school even starts.

Just remember that, no matter what a bunch of professors and gunners say, the ultimate reason you're in law school isn't to learn to "think like a lawyer" or whatever. It's to get a job.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu May 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Skyhook wrote:KMaine wrote:
2L/3L here. Heading to Boston later this week for a job at a firm. Worked for a professor in town last summer.

Any ties to Boston? Have fun!
What was working with the prof like?
Yeah, I grew up about 50 miles from Boston. I know personally know a few people working in Boston, most have ties, but a couple do not. I would guess there are about 12 of us all together. I think it will be a crazy summer, but I do imagine it will be fun too.

Working for a prof was good/easy. We met a couple of times to talk about my progress, but most of all it was hands off. I did research on my schedule, recorded my own hours, etc. It was pretty easy money for doing research and writing. Plus, you could work wherever you want. I did some work in Ithaca, some at home.

Ostrizr316

New

Post by Ostrizr316 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Rising 2L Here.

I'm working for the US Attorney's Office in Baltimore, where I'm from originally and where I may want to return to directly after school. I found the job listed on Cornell's Employment hub (called Symplicity) and sent in an easy online application, interviewed over winter break, and got an offer from them before I headed back for the spring semester. Also, the job is eligible for Cornell's Public Interest Fellowship (PIF) grant, so even though the job is unpaid I still get a $4000 grant to subsidize my expenses. I also got a few offers from District court judges. All in all, it was a really smooth process and Career Services was very helpful.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Fri May 20, 2011 3:57 am

CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote:
vexion wrote:
contracts? crim?

Civ pro. Lawyering. The crim exam (directly in front of me). Same difference. :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Fri May 20, 2011 10:32 am

danidancer wrote:Civ pro. Lawyering. The crim exam (directly in front of me). Same difference. :wink:
Could be worse. I could be filling your Facebook feed with memes.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Wed May 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi,

Pre-0L here, still researching law schools, but I think I may have found my #1.

I want to work in airline/transportation labor law. It seems that Cornell is the place for this. Is anyone in here specializing in labor law or participating in the labor law clinic? Also, is anyone doing the JD/Master en Droit program? Do you know anyone that is? As a former French major, that sounds amazing.

If you are in either of these programs, do you like them? How are you planning to use the degrees/specializations?

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Wed May 25, 2011 4:12 pm

memphisbelle wrote:Hi,

Pre-0L here, still researching law schools, but I think I may have found my #1.

I want to work in airline/transportation labor law. It seems that Cornell is the place for this. Is anyone in here specializing in labor law or participating in the labor law clinic? Also, is anyone doing the JD/Master en Droit program? Do you know anyone that is? As a former French major, that sounds amazing.

If you are in either of these programs, do you like them? How are you planning to use the degrees/specializations?
koala loves.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Well, I may have misinterpreted the meaning of 0L. I was under the impression that it was someone who had been admitted but hadn't started yet. I haven't applied as yet. In any case, I'm very interested in these programs and would appreciate any advice/thoughts you may have on them.

Thanks!
MB

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”