Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn6542

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by kn6542 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:58 pm

nessie31 wrote:I am thinking about applying to Cornell. I am from a small town in North Dakota. How do you think Cornell compares to a small town life? I once heard it described that way.

and honestly, do many people go to NYC a lot to visit or get summer internships/jobs there?
Kinda depends on what you mean "small town". Ithaca's not urban, and it's not large. It's not really rural, either. Since it's heavily populated by students, I don't get the feeling that there's a strong community going on. I've experienced stronger communities in larger towns, and I think Ithaca is pretty transient. This is also probably a function of the fact that I don't do anything besides study. The only community I'm cognizant of is the law school, really, and I'm not gonna be here long enough to get to the point where everywhere I go I see people I know.

And yes, people seem to be really into NYC, but a lot of people go back to where they're from for the summer and for jobs. I think if you're not interested in NYC life, there's no reason you would need to entertain it.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 pm

kn6542 wrote:
nessie31 wrote:I am thinking about applying to Cornell. I am from a small town in North Dakota. How do you think Cornell compares to a small town life? I once heard it described that way.

and honestly, do many people go to NYC a lot to visit or get summer internships/jobs there?
Kinda depends on what you mean "small town". Ithaca's not urban, and it's not large. It's not really rural, either. Since it's heavily populated by students, I don't get the feeling that there's a strong community going on. I've experienced stronger communities in larger towns, and I think Ithaca is pretty transient. This is also probably a function of the fact that I don't do anything besides study. The only community I'm cognizant of is the law school, really, and I'm not gonna be here long enough to get to the point where everywhere I go I see people I know.

And yes, people seem to be really into NYC, but a lot of people go back to where they're from for the summer and for jobs. I think if you're not interested in NYC life, there's no reason you would need to entertain it.
Whoa, are you kidding me? Do we go to the same school?

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:52 pm

woeisme wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Isnt she talking about the Ithaca community? Not the law school community?

The law school community is awesome, and I'm sure if we got out more we would discover the Ithaca community but I havent really done that. Ithaca is a small town, but its a small college town, so it has a little bit different feel.

And NYC-- if you are interested in there then you will have plenty of options to go there, and if not, that doesn't seem to be a problem either.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Last edited by como on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:03 pm

como wrote:Did anyone live in Hughes during 1L?
Yes, but I didn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:18 pm

I'll second woeisme on the community thing. The professors here are really surprisingly open and available, either by email or in office hours. Especially for conlaw, you can really talk about anything. Fellow students are also less Type-A than I expected. Yes, we all want to do well, but no horror stories of stolen backpacks or laptops and such. Several times during finals I've left my stuff unattended in the library for hours without problems.

Worst thing has got to be the town. It is not bad in an absolute sense, but I am a city person through and through. Even though I didn't go out that much when in Chicago, I liked having the ability to go some place random and completely new on the spur of the moment. Ithaca is a doable town for three years, but it is foolish imho to think that Cornell wouldn't be a significantly more desirable place for a lot of people if it were nearer to a major city.

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:19 pm

I live in Hughes. In general I think it's great--you can wake up at 9 for you 9:05 class, and you have a little community around you where people are very open and friendly. The only time it sucks is when everyone around is stressed out about exactly the same thing, and their stress becomes contagious on you--sometimes it gets hard to escape the law school. But that being said, I'd still recommend it just because it makes meeting your fellow classmates so easy.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:24 pm

woeisme wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

The poster asked about the town, not the law school community. Since he didn't say anything about what aspect of a small town he was curious about, I was addressing the issue that people often believe that "small towns" have a tighter community. I think that's pretty silly, myself, since I've experienced much more active community involvement in cities than in small towns. I don't really care if I know the dude who sorts my mail.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:27 pm

Last edited by como on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:28 pm

sbrown83 wrote:
I live in Hughes. In general I think it's great--you can wake up at 9 for you 9:05 class, and you have a little community around you where people are very open and friendly. The only time it sucks is when everyone around is stressed out about exactly the same thing, and their stress becomes contagious on you--sometimes it gets hard to escape the law school. But that being said, I'd still recommend it just because it makes meeting your fellow classmates so easy.
That and the fact that most of the people living there are really young, you have to share a bathroom, and there's no kitchen except for some kind of community kitchen which I hear has both rabies and herpes. It strikes me as relatively expensive considering all that.

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:07 pm

kn6542 wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:
That and the fact that everyone living there is really young, you have to share a bathroom, and there's no kitchen except for some kind of community kitchen which I hear has both rabies and herpes. It strikes me as relatively expensive considering all that.
Well, everyone is under 30, and perhaps 1/2 of the people there are 22. I'm 25 and am definitely not the oldest person there. The bathroom thing is ok--you only share it with a few suitemates, and they have a cleaning staff that cleans it for you regularly. Maybe this is less of an issue for guys than girls. So far as I know, I haven't contracted herpes or rabies from the kitchen. Only about 8 of 44 people ever use the kitchen, and we keep it relatively clean--though sometimes there are pans left in the sink, etc. It's not too bad.

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:09 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I would consider living on campus for convenience and to save money.....since I won't be living with my SO if I go to Cornell. I'll be 27 when I start law school.....do you guys think that I would I feel out of place in the law student housing? I assume law students are housed separately from undergrads?

I know a couple of ppl 27 that live in Hughes, but I think the majority are closer to right out of UG. I would say in your case, if you like to eat out and are social then it would work well, but if you like to cook a lot and are more into studying you might want to try to find a 1 bdrm somewhere.

I live away from campus and while it inhibits my partying till late at night (buses stop at 12:30am on weekends to where I live) I like having the time away from school and it is cheaper.

Overall, though I think Hughes is just VERY convenient. I waste lots of time that I could be studying traveling to and from law school, etc. But it is worth it to me and I would probably still find a way to waste the time even there.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:14 pm

sbrown83 wrote: So far as I know, I haven't contracted herpes or rabies from the kitchen.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:22 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I would consider living on campus for convenience and to save money.....since I won't be living with my SO if I go to Cornell. I'll be 27 when I start law school.....do you guys think that I would I feel out of place in the law student housing? I assume law students are housed separately from undergrads?
I don't think you'd save that much money, really. I pay just a little more than what the dorm rooms go for, plus electricity and internet. But I don't have to eat out ALL the time. The convenience is nice, but imo not worth it. You also would be committing yourself to studying at the library or in your dorm room. If you're cool with that, then fine. But I can't work like that, myself.
Also, the aesthetics are just a step below that of a Norwegian jail.
Last edited by kn6542 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
LeahNic wrote:

I know a couple of ppl 27 that live in Hughes, but I think the majority are closer to right out of UG. I would say in your case, if you like to eat out and are social then it would work well, but if you like to cook a lot and are more into studying you might want to try to find a 1 bdrm somewhere.

I live away from campus and while it inhibits my partying till late at night (buses stop at 12:30am on weekends to where I live) I like having the time away from school and it is cheaper.

Overall, though I think Hughes is just VERY convenient. I waste lots of time that I could be studying traveling to and from law school, etc. But it is worth it to me and I would probably still find a way to waste the time even there.
Yeah, I am not really into going out to eat all the time, but I am really into cooking and make a full, somewhat fancy dinner 4 nights a week or so, esp. on weekends.... :) I have OCPD/OCD (literally), so sharing a kitchen and bathroom makes a more than a little nervous... But I am also concerned about being extremely lonely/not being able to study together easily if I live alone off-campus. I am also a social person....and I'd like to think young for my age.

I'll have to check out the housing when I visit Cornell for an admitted students day before I can make a decision (if I go to Cornell). :)

Thanks for the input :)
Last edited by como on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

como

Silver

Post by como » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Cool. I'll see you at the ASD!

como

Silver

Post by como » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 am

Last edited by como on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:58 am

I don't have a mac, but I know a ton of people here do, and no one has complained at all...

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:07 am

If anything, it might be a tad easier for Mac users. They don't have to go through the Exam4 security check every time they before exams.

como

Silver

Post by como » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:33 am

Last edited by como on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

como

Silver

Post by como » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:21 pm

Last edited by como on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:23 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
como wrote:Skiing is not good in upstate NY - you have to go to Lake Placid, Tremblant in QC, or anywhere in Vermont. It's not too far to Vermont and it is nice. Compared to the west, skiing here sucks.
I suspected this. I remember it being incredibly cold and incredibly icy.
The snow here is really sloppy. I haven't skied here, but I don't see it being good ski snow.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:48 pm

So, how bad is parking, exactly? It was mentioned by not really explained. I think if/when I go to Cornell I would want to live outside of Ithaca and drive in for classes. I like the quiet. And the cheaper rent.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Parking is not that bad, but it does cost $680 (which I assume will increase at least a bit by next year?) My permit gets me in a lot that is about a 5 minute walk downhill to the building, and about a 6-8 minute walk back up (depending on how tired I am and on how many plastic bags full of books I have that day.) All times are approximate, and I should note that this part of the hill is not at all as steep as what a lot of the people who walk from home to school have to tackle. If my regular lot fills up by the time I get there, I have to go to one slightly farther away, which has never been full. I do not mind the walk to and from (even in the ice and snow), and upon whining about the parking price (my UG charged $20 a year), I have been told by many people that this is par for many a course...

Before I got here, all I ever heard was about how bad the parking is here and how inconvenient... it really isn't that bad...

Also, did you make it here for your visit today?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 pm

neskerdoo wrote:Parking is not that bad, but it does cost $680 (which I assume will increase at least a bit by next year?) My permit gets me in a lot that is about a 5 minute walk downhill to the building, and about a 6-8 minute walk back up (depending on how tired I am and on how many plastic bags full of books I have that day.) All times are approximate, and I should note that this part of the hill is not at all as steep as what a lot of the people who walk from home to school have to tackle. If my regular lot fills up by the time I get there, I have to go to one slightly farther away, which has never been full. I do not mind the walk to and from (even in the ice and snow), and upon whining about the parking price (my UG charged $20 a year), I have been told by many people that this is par for many a course...

Before I got here, all I ever heard was about how bad the parking is here and how inconvenient... it really isn't that bad...

Also, did you make it here for your visit today?
Nope, things were crazy at work. I probably won't get up there until people are gone for the holidays, and I'll explore Ithaca some. I haven't spent more than a few hours at a time in Ithaca since I was twelve, so some lasting exposure is necessary. Then I'll come up again soon after the spring semester starts.

I have a sort of weird question. Are there many smokers at the law school?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”