Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Devila_C

New

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Devila_C » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:24 pm

lilliea wrote:First of all, you guys are amazing fountains of knowledge. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'm not sure if you guys would know any of this, but I figure I might as well ask. If you don't, oh well, it was worth a try.

Have any of you had any experience with the Clark Program, specifically in regards to East Asia? Does it seem like an active organization that is worth the time, or is it rather something that is promoted by not necessarily as strong as it is made out to be?

Also, any idea how Cornell feels about reverse splitters and late applications? I'm retaking in December and have complete confidence I can increase my score (I made some stupid mistakes) but as it stands my LSAT is below the 25th and my GPA is well above the 75th. I've also got some interesting softs and LORs. Should I try it?
I was a reverse splitter like you. It's possible..obviously depends on how far you are from the 25th percentile. I applied EA so that might have helped, and if you haven't applied yet, do so ASAP. And if you really are interested, do a why cornell essay and SHOW INTEREST.

The Clarke program holds a variety of talks over the academic year that students can attend. I don't know if you can 'get involved' with the program specifically, since 1L year is pretty much laid out for you and you're not expected to do too much outside of classes and studying.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 pm

If anyone knows, how does Cornell do placing in DC? Obviously it is better in NYC, and I don't have a substantial preference, but I just want to keep my geographic options open.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:05 am

Devila_C wrote:
lilliea wrote:First of all, you guys are amazing fountains of knowledge. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'm not sure if you guys would know any of this, but I figure I might as well ask. If you don't, oh well, it was worth a try.

Have any of you had any experience with the Clark Program, specifically in regards to East Asia? Does it seem like an active organization that is worth the time, or is it rather something that is promoted by not necessarily as strong as it is made out to be?

Also, any idea how Cornell feels about reverse splitters and late applications? I'm retaking in December and have complete confidence I can increase my score (I made some stupid mistakes) but as it stands my LSAT is below the 25th and my GPA is well above the 75th. I've also got some interesting softs and LORs. Should I try it?
I was a reverse splitter like you. It's possible..obviously depends on how far you are from the 25th percentile. I applied EA so that might have helped, and if you haven't applied yet, do so ASAP. And if you really are interested, do a why cornell essay and SHOW INTEREST.

The Clarke program holds a variety of talks over the academic year that students can attend. I don't know if you can 'get involved' with the program specifically, since 1L year is pretty much laid out for you and you're not expected to do too much outside of classes and studying.
#s?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Devila_C wrote:

#s?
Just so you know, lots of law students don't like to openly talk about their numbers after they've started, since we aren't anonymous anymore within the law school community.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:01 pm

I've read on here somewhere that Cornell's first year is particularly hard. Any comments on that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:18 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I've read on here somewhere that Cornell's first year is particularly hard. Any comments on that?
I wouldn't say "particularly hard" - but it is true that we have a slightly more intense workload than some other schools. We have 4 core classes each semester + Lawyering, and our Lawyering class is graded and curved. This probably serves to make things slightly more stressful for us, but the horror stories you've heard about Cornell, at least in my experience, are greatly exaggerated.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:35 pm

danidancer wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I've read on here somewhere that Cornell's first year is particularly hard. Any comments on that?
I wouldn't say "particularly hard" - but it is true that we have a slightly more intense workload than some other schools. We have 4 core classes each semester + Lawyering, and our Lawyering class is graded and curved. This probably serves to make things slightly more stressful for us, but the horror stories you've heard about Cornell, at least in my experience, are greatly exaggerated.
as i've shouted at anyone who will listen from day 1 (and only half-jokingly), law school is easy. u just have to do it right, which means, do what works for you--and remain calm cool and collected throughout. can't do well on exams if ur a burned out husk of a human being. also, realize that though lawyering is graded it doesn't seem to be a true curve--i.e., there were just a ton of b+s and then very few people who received grades above or below a b+, and it is only two credits (read: don't waste too much time on lawyering--concentrate on other classes in which you feel you can get ahead of the curve). there should (hopefully, if you're in the right place) be at least one or two that click with you.

so, in short. don't believe the hype. best of luck. Now, I've got a Fall Ball to go burn down.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:10 pm

I think this spawned from the fact that some survey found Cornell students to have the highest average time spent studying per day.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:25 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
danidancer wrote:
as i've shouted at anyone who will listen from day 1 (and only half-jokingly), law school is easy. u just have to do it right, which means, do what works for you--and remain calm cool and collected throughout. can't do well on exams if ur a burned out husk of a human being. also, realize that though lawyering is graded it doesn't seem to be a true curve--i.e., there were just a ton of b+s and then very few people who received grades above or below a b+, and it is only two credits (read: don't waste too much time on lawyering--concentrate on other classes in which you feel you can get ahead of the curve). there should (hopefully, if you're in the right place) be at least one or two that click with you.

so, in short. don't believe the hype. best of luck. Now, I've got a Fall Ball to go burn down.
well you didn't burn down fall ball...

I'm disappointed -- I did enjoy the arrested development gchats though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:19 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
kn6542 wrote: Fine. Nobody apparently cares.
There's no negative impact (except death glares from me for the people making up relatives in my target market), but I don't know anyone who this actually worked for in terms of getting a job. Firms in non-primary markets this year seemed to be looking for very strong ties. Firms seemed to be unimpressed that I had spent the summer in my target market - it wasn't until I explained that I had also lived in the market for 4/5ths of my life that they would consider me. Then again, I was targeting a particularly insular market - it may not take quite as much in other places.

I think what it comes down to is that firms in smaller markets don't want to hire people who are there because they couldn't find anything in New York. They want to hire people who want to be in that smaller market, people who are still going to be around in ten years, and they figure the only way you can know you want to be somewhere in ten years is if you have very strong ties to that area.
Well, my comment was not in regard to firms. I assume if someone seriously finds firm work compelling, they'd have their shit together in that respect.

thepoetoffunk

New

Post by thepoetoffunk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:13 pm

I have a question: How is the music scene in Ithaca? I see references on the internet to independent music stores (usually a good sign). I perform hip hop/electronica, and it's pretty bad in Shreveport, LA (home of hillbilly funk); I plan to attend law school where there is a more active music scene. Is there an indie scene or an electronic performance scene (as opposed to electronic-DJ) worth mentioning?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:18 pm

thepoetoffunk wrote:I have a question: How is the music scene in Ithaca? I see references on the internet to independent music stores (usually a good sign). I perform hip hop/electronica, and it's pretty bad in Shreveport, LA (home of hillbilly funk); I plan to attend law school where there is a more active music scene. Is there an indie scene or an electronic performance scene (as opposed to electronic-DJ) worth mentioning?
not into dynamite?

/cornell music scene

alexyoshi

New

Post by alexyoshi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 pm

mths i go to cornell 2! we shld meet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:51 pm

alexyoshi wrote:mths i go to cornell 2! we shld meet.
omg we totally should!!!

:lol:

<3

alexyoshi

New

Post by alexyoshi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:38 pm

:D

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:40 pm

alexyoshi wrote::D
You should probably study.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:57 am

mths wrote:
Fun-killer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:24 pm

CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote:
Fun-killer.
I think that's the first time since I got here that anyone has called me a fun-killer.

RicketyCricket

New

Post by RicketyCricket » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:12 pm

I just got deferred EA, and I was wondering if any of you knew how many people got in from that pool? I'm 3.4/170, so I thought I had a decent shot at Cornell, and it's my top choice.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:39 pm

RicketyCricket wrote:I just got deferred EA, and I was wondering if any of you knew how many people got in from that pool? I'm 3.4/170, so I thought I had a decent shot at Cornell, and it's my top choice.
I know some people who got in that way, some even with $. Unfortunately, I think you are in for along wait. If it is your top choice, keep persistent, but don't be annoying. Maybe they are trying for high GPA #s this year. Not sure. Good luck!

Horchata

Bronze

Post by Horchata » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:45 am

Thank you to everyone who has been contributing to this forum -- it has been very helpful. I was recently accepted (and super excited about it) and was hoping you guys could answer some questions.

1. What have you heard about the JD/LLM program in International Law (to which I was accepted)? Worth the $ and time, etc.? Is it possible to only do the JD and back out of the LLM if necessary?

2. How and when is your need-based aid determined? I didn't see any indication of money in my acceptance email and I'm kind of freak'n out about it.

3. If any of you had to make a decision about going to Cornell (with little or no aid) versus a lower ranked school (say ranked #21 in the middle of no-where with a half scholly) or even a very good regional LS in your home town, could you elaborate as to why you went the way you did?

4. Is there any good Mexican food around town? And, more importantly, any good look'n girls around? (This question was partially answered in a previous post, but it still isn't clear to me.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:00 am

Horchata wrote:Thank you to everyone who has been contributing to this forum -- it has been very helpful. I was recently accepted (and super excited about it) and was hoping you guys could answer some questions.

1. What have you heard about the JD/LLM program in International Law (to which I was accepted)? Worth the $ and time, etc.? Is it possible to only do the JD and back out of the LLM if necessary?

2. How and when is your need-based aid determined? I didn't see any indication of money in my acceptance email and I'm kind of freak'n out about it.

3. If any of you had to make a decision about going to Cornell (with little or no aid) versus a lower ranked school (say ranked #21 in the middle of no-where with a half scholly) or even a very good regional LS in your home town, could you elaborate as to why you went the way you did?

4. Is there any good Mexican food around town? And, more importantly, any good look'n girls around? (This question was partially answered in a previous post, but it still isn't clear to me.)
PM'd

M&A621

New

Post by M&A621 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:37 am

I don't know if anyone could answer this (seeing as most of the Cornell students on here are 1Ls ), but how well does Cornell Law place when it comes to BigLaw in New York? Is Cornell pretty even across the board, compared to NYU and Columbia?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:42 pm

M&A621 wrote:I don't know if anyone could answer this (seeing as most of the Cornell students on here are 1Ls ), but how well does Cornell Law place when it comes to BigLaw in New York? Is Cornell pretty even across the board, compared to NYU and Columbia?
Actually, a lot of us are 2Ls. I don't think anyone has solid numbers on how placement was this year. NYU and Columbia probably have better placement in New York (they pretty much always have, as far as I know).

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:35 am

Hi everyone! I'm currently contemplating my options for law school next year, and, though I don't have all of my responses yet, it seems increasingly likely that my choice might come down to Michigan with $$ or Cornell with ?? (haven't gotten scholarship info yet, and not quite sure what to expect). Putting money aside for now, I'm trying to quantify the other aspects of both schools. I have visited both, but not extensively, and am planning to attend both schools' ASWs. I would love to hear from current Cornell students about their experiences there - anything that you have to say, though I have been thinking about the following questions. I have read through parts of this thread, but probably not the whole thing, so feel free to just say, "this has been answered, stop being lazy and go find it!"

- Has anyone felt limited by the small number of courses offered at Cornell? In the (awesome) binder they just sent, there was a seemingly comprehensive list of courses, and it wasn't as long as I was expecting. Do you find there is an adequate range of courses for your interests?

- The clinics look great. I would love to hear from anyone who has done them - are they as cool as they sound? I'm specifically interested in the innocence clinic, the capital punishment clinic(s) and the international law clinic. And has anyone done multiple clinics? I don't know how I would narrow it down to just one.

- How much is there to do around Ithaca? In what neighborhood(s) do law students tend to live and hang out? Do law students ever get group houses so that they can have the law school community experience without the limitations of on-campus housing?

Thanks in advance!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”