Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ithacais

New

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by ithacais » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:16 am

MTH2 wrote:What was the social scene like during 1L? Were there a lot of house parties or mostly just bars and what is the normal frequency one would go out during the week?
The social scene changes quite a bit between fall and spring semesters, at least in my experience. It seemed like people went out probably once a week during the fall, when everyone was still trying to figure out how to handle their schedules. By second semester, though, I think everyone was more relaxed and wanting to socialize more often. I went out around 3x/week during the spring.

And yeah, a few house parties, but mostly just bars. There are some incredibly cheap drink specials in Ithaca.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:24 am

ithacais wrote:
MTH2 wrote:What was the social scene like during 1L? Were there a lot of house parties or mostly just bars and what is the normal frequency one would go out during the week?
The social scene changes quite a bit between fall and spring semesters, at least in my experience. It seemed like people went out probably once a week during the fall, when everyone was still trying to figure out how to handle their schedules. By second semester, though, I think everyone was more relaxed and wanting to socialize more often. I went out around 3x/week during the spring.

And yeah, a few house parties, but mostly just bars. There are some incredibly cheap drink specials in Ithaca.
God bless you, Dunbar's Group Therapy.

sf88

New

Post by sf88 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:45 am

Are there still HSBC ATMs in Ithaca? I opened an account recently, but HSBC announced the sale of upstate NY branches to local banks right after I opened my account. I don't need a branch - just an ATM. No ATMs show up on the online locator, but I just wanted to check.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 am

sf88 wrote:Are there still HSBC ATMs in Ithaca? I opened an account recently, but HSBC announced the sale of upstate NY branches to local banks right after I opened my account. I don't need a branch - just an ATM. No ATMs show up on the online locator, but I just wanted to check.
No, they all turned over to FirstNiagara. I fortunately opened my HSBC account "upstate" in a branch that rolled over, so I have a FirstNiagara account now- honestly, they're much, much better.

I'd either close it out and change to one of the banks in town, or get a CharlesSchwab or equivalent account.

ithacais

New

Post by ithacais » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Does anyone know if ILJ and JLPP have released their list of new associates yet? Just curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ithacais

New

Post by ithacais » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:God bless you, Dunbar's Group Therapy.
I don't know what this is, but I'm sure I'll rectify that soon enough.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:53 pm

msblaw89 wrote:For those who had time to socialize AND did well in school... Can you outline your typical schedule?
Bump

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:02 pm

ithacais wrote:
Wednesdays.

$4 for a pitcher and a kamikaze shot.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:13 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:For those who had time to socialize AND did well in school... Can you outline your typical schedule?
Bump

I read what needed to be read during the day on the weekends and then did what I wanted to in the evenings and during the week. I didn't do any supplements, so it didn't take that long.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:35 pm

If anyone is moving to Ithaca July 31st or sooner and wants a barely-used couch or full-size mattress and box spring really cheap, message me (and if you do so I can send pictures). You have to move 'em, though (although I can probably be convinced to help).

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Does anybody have any idea as to how several incoming 1Ls are invited to the academic orientation program? I heard its based on some unusual credential the applicant has but was wondering if it is intended for those with lower undergrad gpas or lsat scores? Any clue?
If by unusual credential you mean being a minority, then yes.
I was told by Johnson that it was actually if you submitted a "Diversity Statement", then you were on the list of potential invites who got invited to AOP.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:37 pm

KingRajesh wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Does anybody have any idea as to how several incoming 1Ls are invited to the academic orientation program? I heard its based on some unusual credential the applicant has but was wondering if it is intended for those with lower undergrad gpas or lsat scores? Any clue?
I was told by Johnson that it was actually if you submitted a "Diversity Statement", then you were on the list of potential invites who got invited to AOP.
Try to think of one person who was there that wasn't a URM.

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:58 pm

there were a couple who weren't really URM, I remember people joking about them at the beginning of the year. I think the diversity statement pre-requisite makes sense.

breadbucket

Bronze

Post by breadbucket » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
ithacais wrote:
Wednesdays.

WTF. what sweet slice of heaven will I be driving into in a few days...

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:06 pm

breadbucket wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
ithacais wrote:
Wednesdays.

It should be noted that Dunbar's is the dive-iest dive I've ever seen.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:20 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
I can think of at least three.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 pm

KingRajesh wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Wrote a diversity statement... Not URM... No invite :-(

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Wrote a diversity statement... Not URM... No invite :-(
Your statement wasn't diverse enough I guess.

And Ikki, some people who don't seem it may actually be. There's a white as milk girl who's >1/4th native american.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:

And Ikki, some people who don't seem it may actually be. There's a white as milk girl who's >1/4th native american.
I know who you're referring to, but I spoke with two of the three and they said they were accepted for being non-trad students and stating an interest in diversity on their applications.

ETA: Now I can think of five. One of those was actually an ORM.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Ikki wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

I know who you're referring to, but I spoke with two of the three and they said they were accepted for being non-trad students and stating an interest in diversity on their applications.

ETA: Now I can think of five. One of those was actually an ORM.
Well there we go.

So that'd be how you get invited.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Being LGBT gets you an invite, or at least did for c/o 2013.

transfer2014

New

Post by transfer2014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:28 am

My mock interview went very poorly. What are people doing to prepare? I'm not really unsocial in person, but I shut down when I'm put on the spot in an interview situation.
Arbiter213 wrote:
breadbucket wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Wednesdays.

Oh god, it makes me feel dirty just walking in there. And bring cash, they don't take plastic.
msblaw89 wrote: For those who had time to socialize AND did well in school... Can you outline your typical schedule?
Just do the reading the day before its due. If you have time between classes you should take advantage of that to read for the next day. Also, for one of the tougher classes, I would meet with a group of people to discuss the reading for about an hour before the class.

I don't make my own outlines. I suggest getting a good outline from your mentor or some upperclass friends near the start of the semester (preferably recent and from the same professor) and then just updating it with anything new/different the professor says. It will save you a lot of time and typing. I also found that not needing to type everything that was said let me actually think about what was being said and absord it better and/or gave me more time to play the dumb default games on my computer. Do yourself a favor and don't do the latter.

Once finals are a few weeks away, make sure the outlines are in order and buy a commercial outline or supplement to help you answer any questions you have once you start really reviewing for finals. I began my major review a week or two before finals (I was not good about reviewing during the semester, but I would recommend some review to make sure everything fits together). Then for the week or so before finals and during finals I became a hermit, devoting almost all my time to studying, reviewing outlines, reading supplements, and taking practice tests. Probably better to do a little bit more during the semester and a little bit less during those last weeks, but that basic structure served me well.

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
breadbucket wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
ithacais wrote:
Wednesdays.

Dunbar's is Sketchy. As. Fuck.

And, it usually gets PACKED as it gets late. Get in early (usually opens at 9), get your cheap drink on, and then roll somewhere else.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Just wanted to point out that different things work for different people. I would not recommend wasting money on canned briefs or commercial outlines. In class you are not learning "constitutional law" or "torts" or "contracts". You are learning how your professor understands those particular subjects, and you will be focusing on (and therefore be tested on) only the topics the professor finds interesting. I think a lot of people got way too caught up in E&E's, supplements, and commercial outlines instead of focusing on class notes. Unless your professor wrote that hornbook or commercial outline, chances are you won't end up being tested on a lot of it. So the result is you'll be wasting a lot of time and brain space studying materials that are completely irrelevant to doing well on the test, and you won't be studying the materials that will actually be tested.

work smart, not hard. Join affinity groups with good outline banks, use those outlines (find them for your teacher, your semester). Pick the brains of upperclassmen about what exactly the professors like to test (some are very, unique in their testing styles. For some professors, the exam won't even touch 95% of what's covered in class. For others, they will do a review session right before the finals that will cover exactly what will be tested. Others still give research finals and expect you to be able to find information that was never mentioned in class during the exam.

Half the battle in 1L is figuring out how to learn most efficiently. Presumably you can learn 100% of the material and do well on the exam, but that would mean you'd never leave the library and would catch glimpses of daylight from inside the classroom. But that's not smart, nor is it fun. Once you've talked to enough people about how professors test, you can start learning a lot more selectively, with the exams in mind. And don't wait to do this until the end of the semester. The earlier in the semester you figure out what your final looks like, the easier classes become.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”