Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn6542

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by kn6542 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:06 am

scorez wrote:What do people do for going the the gym? I heard something about a facilities pass (or some other name) at ASW, but I guess I wasn't really listening.

Do a decent amount of 1ls make it to the gym semi-regularly (3-5 times a week)? I work a job with pretty legit hours and manage to do so; I was hoping I could accomplish the same during 1l.

Thanks. Pretty pumped/nervous about heading to ithaca with everyone in the fall.

Is your question more about whether there is time to work out, or whether the big red rec pass (or whatever the hell it's called) is worth it? If you want to work out, you can find time. It's not that hard to find an hour or so a day to do whatever you do for your workout. Kinda just depends on your priorities.

I think a lot of ppl do buy the rec center pass, and some of them even use it. I only went to the cornell facilities twice all year, but I also have an aversion to gyms in general and spent more time hiking/skiing in the freezing cold or working out at home just to avoid having to go into an unsanitary but sterile student gym environment. But if you're into that sort of thing, the facilities aren't too bad for what you're paying. They aren't super nice, either, but it'll do.

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Sun May 31, 2009 2:57 am

kn6542 wrote: unsanitary but sterile
:?: lol

nani

New

Post by nani » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:20 pm

i have two questions.

1. is it difficult to get a parking space if you live in hughes hall?

2. has any of you read/used the LEEWS program? would you recommend it?

Thanks!!!!

danielfgator

Bronze

Post by danielfgator » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:29 am

Una pregunta here,

What are the chances of finding a decent place to live for next fall if I don't start looking until sometime in July?

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:56 pm

Ok...I have a couple of questions...drum roll please.....

1) Are seating charts used? If so, is seating assigned? Which classes?

2) Advice on study groups? For my UG I studied alone and I was planning on doing the same for law school but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea....

Thoughts??? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:18 am

TopLaw_Diva wrote:Ok...I have a couple of questions...drum roll please.....

2) Advice on study groups? For my UG I studied alone and I was planning on doing the same for law school but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea....

1) Seating charts are used. You can sit where you please on the first day, and the seat you choose on the second day is usually binding.

2) Never be the smartest person in the group if you are going to do the study group thing, and don't rely on other people to do outline sections for you. I found going over exams in groups of people who I knew would offer insightful comments and question to be the most useful function of study groups.

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:35 pm

fsohn wrote:

1) Seating charts are used. You can sit where you please on the first day, and the seat you choose on the second day is usually binding.

2) Never be the smartest person in the group if you are going to do the study group thing, and don't rely on other people to do outline sections for you. I found going over exams in groups of people who I knew would offer insightful comments and question to be the most useful function of study groups.
Thanks...what would be your advice if you were constantly being bombarded for clarification by fellow classmates? I don't want to rude but it does get annoying...I'm willing to help where I can to a certain extent but images of being the go to person for group projects in high school and college make me really anti-group...I just thought it would be nice to hear the thoughts of other students but not necessarily be dependent on their input...I hope that makes sense

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:30 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:
fsohn wrote:

Thanks...what would be your advice if you were constantly being bombarded for clarification by fellow classmates? I don't want to rude but it does get annoying...I'm willing to help where I can to a certain extent but images of being the go to person for group projects in high school and college make me really anti-group...I just thought it would be nice to hear the thoughts of other students but not necessarily be dependent on their input...I hope that makes sense
Well law school isn't undergrad. Most of the people in your class will come from backgrounds where they were at the top of their class, etc. Chances are, you won't be the person who is constantly looked to for "clarification" unless you make a point of constantly showing off and advertising yourself as such. So I doubt you need to worry about it.
As for advice for what to do if that were to actually happen? I dunno, set some boundaries? You don't even need to be in a study group and if you really want to be, you can choose people whose personalities mesh with yours.

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:21 pm

TopLaw_Diva wrote:
fsohn wrote:

The bigger problem for me was getting past disagreements about the correct answer/position/POV. While a good back-and-forth is helpful in developing new ways of thinking about whatever class you are studying for, it can take away from productivity. I did exam review in much smaller groups second semester (usually not more than 3 people, total) and did good deal better. In any case, kn's advice is good--form groups with people whose personalities work well with yours, if you are going to choose groups at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 pm

ISPs: Looking at my options it looks like it's between timewarner and verizion. I'm not super thrilled at either one. Does anyone have an opinion or is it a personal preference?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:08 am

sheltron5000 wrote:ISPs: Looking at my options it looks like it's between timewarner and verizion. I'm not super thrilled at either one. Does anyone have an opinion or is it a personal preference?
I've been using Timewarner. Haven't had a problem at all. The only negative thing was that in Aug when half the town is trying to schedule installation, you have to be really flexible or it will take forever to get them over to do it. Try to schedule it ASAP when you get the Ithaca if you can.

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:34 pm

kn6542 wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
fsohn wrote:

Well law school isn't undergrad. Most of the people in your class will come from backgrounds where they were at the top of their class, etc. Chances are, you won't be the person who is constantly looked to for "clarification" unless you make a point of constantly showing off and advertising yourself as such. So I doubt you need to worry about it.
As for advice for what to do if that were to actually happen? I dunno, set some boundaries? You don't even need to be in a study group and if you really want to be, you can choose people whose personalities mesh with yours.
Thanks Kn...I appreciate it!

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:35 pm

fsohn wrote:
TopLaw_Diva wrote:
fsohn wrote:

The bigger problem for me was getting past disagreements about the correct answer/position/POV. While a good back-and-forth is helpful in developing new ways of thinking about whatever class you are studying for, it can take away from productivity. I did exam review in much smaller groups second semester (usually not more than 3 people, total) and did good deal better. In any case, kn's advice is good--form groups with people whose personalities work well with yours, if you are going to choose groups at all.
Got it Thanks!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:48 pm

kn6542 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:ISPs: Looking at my options it looks like it's between timewarner and verizion. I'm not super thrilled at either one. Does anyone have an opinion or is it a personal preference?
I've been using Timewarner. Haven't had a problem at all. The only negative thing was that in Aug when half the town is trying to schedule installation, you have to be really flexible or it will take forever to get them over to do it. Try to schedule it ASAP when you get the Ithaca if you can.
TITCR. I actually called in June to make sure that I got it scheduled as soon as I got into town. That ended up working out great.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:37 pm

LeahNic wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
TITCR. I actually called in June to make sure that I got it scheduled as soon as I got into town. That ended up working out great.
Yeah, and really take getting it scheduled seriously. They schedule in "windows" of time, so like 9-1, 1-5, and then evening appts are super hard to get. So if you wait until school starts, chances are you won't be able to be home during the entire window. If you miss your appt, they make you wait forever for a new one. I had a 1-5 window scheduled and got home at 1:15. They had already come and gone, and it then took SIX WEEKS for me to get someone over to install it. It was a huge fucking pain and I didn't have internet at home until almost October. So make it a priority, cause they certainly won't.

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:34 pm

Do you all use TimeWarner for cable as well? Would the bundle packages be best or do they have some awesome student discounts?

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:35 am

Calling all 1Ls!

i need some help.. i'm doing my pre-Cornell budgeting to see just how in debt i'm going to be .. :x ..

i know that some of you have spoken about used books, and buying them from students, etc..and I also know that the website estimates $850 as the amount we will spend on books in one year..

do any of you have an estimate as to how much you spent on books/supplies (not including a computer..) during 1L?
i'm going to try to be as frugal as possible. .and buy used books where I can find them etc.. (there will be a new post soon about that I'm sure.. 8) ) but.. I really just want a number from students who have lived it... Is $850 accurate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:55 am

Easily $1200/1300, probably more. The $850 budget allotment is a joke.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:08 am

spanktheduck wrote:Easily $1200/1300, probably more. The $850 budget allotment is a joke.
shit.
and is that new books? or like..used books from the Cornell Store? (i heard buying from the C Store is more expensive than from students themselves.. )

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:04 am

I spent $650 the first semester on used books. And that doesnt count the supplements I bought at the student sale later. I spent about $400 the second semester. Second semester is cheaper because you use the same book for 2 classes throughout the whole year. I sold some of my books back for around $240 so I guess I about hit the $850 mark (not counting supplements which I did fairly cheaply because I would buy an edition thats 1 edition too old).

I recommend purchasing from either students or throught textbooks.com. Textbooks ships for free, its cheaper, and if you buy from them some books have a guaranteed buyback at a reasonable percent. The Cornell store I only used for books I could not get elsewhere.

For the Time Warner question-- as far as I know there are no student discounts. I have the bundle package with cable/internet/dvr. Its about $103 a month.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:25 am

thanks leah! that's really helpful..

now to find people to buy books from! :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TopLaw_Diva

New

Post by TopLaw_Diva » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:13 am

[quote= For the Time Warner question-- as far as I know there are no student discounts. I have the bundle package with cable/internet/dvr. Its about $103 a month.[/quote]

Thanks...I got the same package for around there!

ddp

New

Post by ddp » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Anyone have experience with a meal plan?

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:47 am

What time do classes begin on their earliest day? I'm trying to figure out school/parenting schedules for my kids. TIA.

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:24 pm

mbw wrote:What time do classes begin on their earliest day? I'm trying to figure out school/parenting schedules for my kids. TIA.
if it is before noon i am dropping out and working the night shift at burger king instead.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”