Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FlanAl

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by FlanAl » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:46 pm

http://www.metaezra.com/images/ctown_map.JPG

this looks pretty solid but you'd have to download it to zoom etc. I'd list off the streets myself but i actually don't know any of them haha

the law school is right across the gorge at college ave.

thatgirlthere

New

Post by thatgirlthere » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Killingly wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
crabcakes wrote:So living in collegetown definitely seems like the most convenient (albeit expensive) option. Does its proximity to campus mean that it's full of undergrads? Can anyone recommend an apartment complex that is primarily grad students?
would like to know this as well
+1. Going to visit next week.
I live between campus and a couple of popular bars, so I have to hear drunk undergrads screaming outside my house on random nights…but it’s cheap (for the location). I love how close it is, but I won’t be living there next year.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:59 pm

E state, E seneca, E buffalo for the lower collegetown places. A few on Eddy Street as well.

That's a start.

crabcakes

Bronze

Post by crabcakes » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:41 pm

So, I just stumbled across this person's thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=179557

Is the social life at Cornell really this bad?! Do people not really make friendships with each other?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:49 pm

crabcakes wrote:So, I just stumbled across this person's thread:

Is the social life at Cornell really this bad?! Do people not really make friendships with each other?
No... to be fair (honest, blunt, etc...)... that person is likely a weirdo socially awk or somethin'. People are people every where you go. I think that poster is in for a pretty brutal awakening if his or her sole reason for transferring are the people. I did not have that experience at Cornell nor did anyone else I know (save for those people who intentionally excluded themselves). The poster in that post seemed to say that people didn't have a work hard/play hard mentality. It's funny cause that's actually how I would've described the people at Cornell (i.e., close-knit supportive, play hard-work hard type folk).

Rest assured, you'll ALWAYS find people who are miserable in whatever environment. At every school you go to. I guarantee it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Om. I'm not sure what you could get from that post, aside from the fact that that guy doesn't seem to get along with anyone. Sounds more like his/her problem if he/she can't find a few people out of 200+ 1Ls to be friends with.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:00 pm

seems to me that they just did well and want to transfer. its not like being a transfer student is going to automatically open up doors to the new friendships they seem to be searching for. anyways i have friends, i think...

also wanted to add that there are a few people here who have hated it from day one because they feel like they should be at a better school, kinda sounds like this guy. i think if you have the mindset that you are "better than/deserve better" its going to be hard to make friends.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:33 pm

FlanAl wrote:seems to me that they just did well and want to transfer. its not like being a transfer student is going to automatically open up doors to the new friendships they seem to be searching for. anyways i have friends, i think...

also wanted to add that there are a few people here who have hated it from day one because they feel like they should be at a better school, kinda sounds like this guy. i think if you have the mindset that you are "better than/deserve better" its going to be hard to make friends.
No, none of us like you.

(Kidding).

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
FlanAl wrote:seems to me that they just did well and want to transfer. its not like being a transfer student is going to automatically open up doors to the new friendships they seem to be searching for. anyways i have friends, i think...

No, none of us like you.

(Kidding).
looks like i better start on those transfer apps...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:22 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

No, none of us like you.

(Kidding).
looks like i better start on those transfer apps...
But then how will you get a chance to win the scotch tasting next year?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm

woeisme wrote:

No... to be fair (honest, blunt, etc...)... that person is likely a weirdo socially awk or somethin'. People are people every where you go. I think that poster is in for a pretty brutal awakening if his or her sole reason for transferring are the people. I did not have that experience at Cornell nor did anyone else I know (save for those people who intentionally excluded themselves). The poster in that post seemed to say that people didn't have a work hard/play hard mentality. It's funny cause that's actually how I would've described the people at Cornell (i.e., close-knit supportive, play hard-work hard type folk).

Rest assured, you'll ALWAYS find people who are miserable in whatever environment. At every school you go to. I guarantee it.
Find me the miserable person at Stanford.

Anyways that guy sounds like he is transferring out for academic reasons. Social life here isn't that bad and not nearly bad enough to warrant transferring out.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:30 pm

How long is typical 1L class? I'm sitting in on one, and I forgot to ask.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 pm

55min

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm

I would disagree with those that are saying this potential transferee is socially awkward just based on their post. The poster said they liked going out but it was hard to establish bonds with other students. About the whole "trust" thing, who knows what they were referring to. Maybe they just thought that they would find their soulmate in CivPro or that they would become best friends with everyone in their section. This is a ~600 student law school in the middle of nowhere, adjust your expectations accordingly.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Ikki wrote:

I would disagree with those that are saying this potential transferee is socially awkward just based on their post. The poster said they liked going out but it was hard to establish bonds with other students. About the whole "trust" thing, who knows what they were referring to. Maybe they just thought that they would find their soulmate in CivPro or that they would become best friends with everyone in their section. This is a ~600 student law school in the middle of nowhere, adjust your expectations accordingly.
Also people like me make things so awkward that I don't think you'd even want to socialize unless you have a high tolerance for awk.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Is it still the t13? :(

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Yes, but somebody should tell USNews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Anyone have successful scholarship negotiation stories they'd like to share? And unsuccessful of course

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I had a decent (I think a little more than 2/3) scholarship to WUSTL and failed. Wasn't really thinking it would work, but gave it a shot. It's not like they're going to deny your admission if you say "please sir can I have some more". Just be polite and somewhat realistic. (Don't try to wave around a full ride at Hofstra - even my plea was pushing it IMO).

Of course, that was back when WUSTL was # 18 :P

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 pm

PinkCow wrote:I had a decent (I think a little more than 2/3) scholarship to WUSTL and failed. Wasn't really thinking it would work, but gave it a shot. It's not like they're going to deny your admission if you say "please sir can I have some more". Just be polite and somewhat realistic. (Don't try to wave around a full ride at Hofstra - even my plea was pushing it IMO).

What did Cornell offer you to begin with?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
PinkCow wrote:I had a decent (I think a little more than 2/3) scholarship to WUSTL and failed. Wasn't really thinking it would work, but gave it a shot. It's not like they're going to deny your admission if you say "please sir can I have some more". Just be polite and somewhat realistic. (Don't try to wave around a full ride at Hofstra - even my plea was pushing it IMO).

Would like to know as well.... I saw on TLS that ppl with my stats who DID get $$ ranged from 30-60k

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cornellanister

New

Post by Cornellanister » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Could you guys tell me more about Hughes hall? I applied for a spot already but after reading some of this thread I'm starting to have second thoughts. What are some pros and cons you can throw at me?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Cornellanister wrote:Could you guys tell me more about Hughes hall? I applied for a spot already but after reading some of this thread I'm starting to have second thoughts. What are some pros and cons you can throw at me?
It's good because right next to the law school, it's bad because it's right next to the law school.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Cornellanister wrote:Could you guys tell me more about Hughes hall? I applied for a spot already but after reading some of this thread I'm starting to have second thoughts. What are some pros and cons you can throw at me?
From what I can gather, pro would be location and the possibility of building better friendships. Con would be dorm style living... and if you want to get away from all the "law school" stuff you won't be able to. Also, during 1L exams I would imagine it would be a very stressful environment.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:

Not much. 10K/yr (30 total)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”