Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:48 pm

igotolawschool wrote:That was a compliment, I hope it came off that way!
Yes. It's fine.

I just thought you were making a reference to a certain inside joke. Don't worry about it. :wink:

HarveyGrutz

New

Post by HarveyGrutz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Anyone know the timeline for CALIs and/or if they're given out for clinics? My professor mentioned them but he/she may have been mistaken.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:16 pm

HarveyGrutz wrote:Anyone know the timeline for CALIs and/or if they're given out for clinics? My professor mentioned them but he/she may have been mistaken.
I heard around 2 weeks.

No idea about clinics though.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 am

HarveyGrutz wrote:Anyone know the timeline for CALIs and/or if they're given out for clinics? My professor mentioned them but he/she may have been mistaken.
For doctrinal classes you get a letter in your flex a week or two after the semester starts. Not sure about clinics though.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:59 am

Not Cornell specific but maybe someone knows. Lets say I was awarded $1000 federal unsub. loan with my financial aid package. In the fall they disperse 500, and in the spring the remaining 500. I didn't take my 500 in the fall. I accepted it this spring but was only dispersed 500. Can I get the remaining amount from the fall, or is that no longer possible?

I'd ask FA, but apparently they're closed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 am

ImNoScar wrote:
For doctrinal classes you get a letter in your flex a week or two after the semester starts. Not sure about clinics though.
You get an email.

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 am

Hello Cornell Student/s,

I am an admitted student with an interest in Boston. NYC is my second choice market. I see that over half of the class ends up in NYC. Do you know how those gunning for Boston tend to fare? I'm also wondering if it would be appropriate for me to ask career services or admissions about certain statistics (percentage of grads who go to Boston, SA positions, number of firms coming to OCI, etc.). Lastly, is there anything outside of Need Access and FAFSA that I will need to complete in order to make myself eligible for scholarships?

Thanks very much for any insight that you're able to provide!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 am

kemosabe wrote:Hello Cornell Student/s,

I am an admitted student with an interest in Boston. NYC is my second choice market. I see that over half of the class ends up in NYC. Do you know how those gunning for Boston tend to fare? I'm also wondering if it would be appropriate for me to ask career services or admissions about certain statistics (percentage of grads who go to Boston, SA positions, number of firms coming to OCI, etc.). Lastly, is there anything outside of Need Access and FAFSA that I will need to complete in order to make myself eligible for scholarships?

If you have substantial Boston ties and do well, you should have no problem. It's difficult to gauge, however, how you would do without doing well- everyone I know who is going to Boston is in the top of the class and on law review (with one exception re: law review). It is completely appropriate to ask for those statistics from Cornell, but they may not have them or give them.

My year there are 4 people going to Boston vault firms (2x Wilmer, 1x Goodwin, 1x Skadden). There also usually is one offer to Ropes Boston (it's offered one at a time in order of preference, from the look of it).

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 pm

kemosabe wrote:Lastly, is there anything outside of Need Access and FAFSA that I will need to complete in order to make myself eligible for scholarships?
Assuming you're already admitted, you would submit the one-page financial aid information sheet available on this page.

If you want to be eligible for need-based aid, you'd also have to submit your tax returns and your parents' tax returns for 2013. You have to submit your own tax returns anyway if you want federal loans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
kemosabe wrote:Hello Cornell Student/s,

If you have substantial Boston ties and do well, you should have no problem. It's difficult to gauge, however, how you would do without doing well- everyone I know who is going to Boston is in the top of the class and on law review (with one exception re: law review). It is completely appropriate to ask for those statistics from Cornell, but they may not have them or give them.

My year there are 4 people going to Boston vault firms (2x Wilmer, 1x Goodwin, 1x Skadden). There also usually is one offer to Ropes Boston (it's offered one at a time in order of preference, from the look of it).
I know at least two non-LR, non–cum laude ppl from my year at good Boston firms, but yes, Boston is a small market with lots of good law schools = tough competition for jobs.

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Thank you everyone! That was quite helpful, and prompt. Boston does seem tough to crack in general. I suppose that in any scenario, it'd be foolish of me to totally swear off NYC considering all of the opportunities which are there in contrast.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:17 am

kemosabe wrote:Thank you everyone! That was quite helpful, and prompt. Boston does seem tough to crack in general. I suppose that in any scenario, it'd be foolish of me to totally swear off NYC considering all of the opportunities which are there in contrast.
No reason you can't do both. I interviewed in two markets and got offers in both.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:47 am

Lincoln wrote:
kemosabe wrote:Thank you everyone! That was quite helpful, and prompt. Boston does seem tough to crack in general. I suppose that in any scenario, it'd be foolish of me to totally swear off NYC considering all of the opportunities which are there in contrast.
No reason you can't do both. I interviewed in two markets and got offers in both.
Though in your case it likely helped you're a bit of a man with no country re: specific markets.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:34 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Though in your case it likely helped you're a bit of a man with no country re: specific markets.
Maybe, but I had lived in both cities in which I interviewed, so it wasn't a total blank slate.

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 am

Lincoln wrote:

Yeah that'd definitely be the plan. I'd probably bid Boston/NYC and sprinkle the remainder on whatever remnants of biglaw exist elsewhere in New England and eastern NY.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 am

kemosabe wrote:and eastern NY.
wut

oldad

Bronze

Post by oldad » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
wut

Albany, bro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:42 pm

oldad wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
wut

Albany, bro.
Ha yeah, that's what I was getting at. I probably could have just said Albany considering there isn't much else around that area. I've noticed a handful of biglaw firms have offices in places like Albany and Stamford, CT. I'm just beginning my research on this, so I don't have a great understanding of how the hiring works for these places. Ever heard of a Cornell grad getting biglaw in Albany?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:07 pm

kemosabe wrote:
Ha yeah, that's what I was getting at. I probably could have just said Albany considering there isn't much else around that area. I've noticed a handful of biglaw firms have offices in places like Albany and Stamford, CT. I'm just beginning my research on this, so I don't have a great understanding of how the hiring works for these places. Ever heard of a Cornell grad getting biglaw in Albany?
No. But I also haven't heard of anyone trying very hard. Many a all offices do not have summer programs.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Lincoln wrote:
kemosabe wrote:
No. But I also haven't heard of anyone trying very hard. Many a all offices do not have summer programs.
I know of someone getting a firm in Albany. I don't know if it would be considered Big Law or not.

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks again guys. Looking forward to visiting and learning more!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Will we ever find out what the actual curve was for 1L Fall Semester?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:04 pm

CR2012 wrote:Will we ever find out what the actual curve was for 1L Fall Semester?
They publish a book with each class's grade distribution. There's not actually a unified curve, because not everyone has the same professors. That said, it's almost certainly something like a 3.48

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
CR2012 wrote:Will we ever find out what the actual curve was for 1L Fall Semester?
They publish a book with each class's grade distribution. There's not actually a unified curve, because not everyone has the same professors. That said, it's almost certainly something like a 3.48
You think 40% of the class is within .29 of each other?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:38 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
You think 40% of the class is within .29 of each other?
Explain what you mean?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”