Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
como

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by como » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:59 am

Ah, it's nice to see people excited to come to Ithaca. Enjoy that excitement for now...

paraducks

New

Post by paraducks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 pm

hereforhelp wrote:how noisy does it get in collegetown with the undergrads? is it a better idea to live in lower collegetown or the commons? thanks!
if you have a car, the commons is fine. if you don't, stick with collegetown.

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:25 am

paraducks wrote:
hereforhelp wrote:how noisy does it get in collegetown with the undergrads? is it a better idea to live in lower collegetown or the commons? thanks!
if you have a car, the commons is fine. if you don't, stick with collegetown.
What is the parking like in collegetown? My apartment offers parking but at a high monthly price... are there cheaper lots people park at?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 am

como wrote:Ah, it's nice to see people excited to come to Ithaca. Enjoy that excitement for now...
Rough summer, Como?

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 am

Big Tuna wrote:What is the parking like in collegetown? My apartment offers parking but at a high monthly price... are there cheaper lots people park at?

I've been looking at apartments, and pretty much everywhere I've looked has had parking available for $400-$500.

It seems to be fairly constant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:15 am

Answering my own question, I found this on the Ithaca town website:

linking isn't working so just copy-paste this: --LinkRemoved--{47765127-999E-4E7E-882F-D7A7D8665499}&DE={2218F563-3627-4F95-9F6E-CD61D6FB5681}

Looks like they run three garages at Dryden & College Ave (Collegetown), E Green St (above the movie theater), and Seneca & Tioga (near Hilton Garden Inn) with the most expensive (Dryden) being 220/mo.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:46 am

Big Tuna wrote:Answering my own question, I found this on the Ithaca town website:

linking isn't working so just copy-paste this: http://www.ci.ithaca.ny.us/index.asp?Ty ... 61D6FB5681 (LinkRemoved)

Looks like they run three garages at Dryden & College Ave (Collegetown), E Green St (above the movie theater), and Seneca & Tioga (near Hilton Garden Inn) with the most expensive (Dryden) being 220/mo.
fixed link for you (using bitly)

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:54 am

thanks buddy

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:20 am

(Also posted in Cornell 2013 thread)

Is an optical drive is essential during law school or can I get by without one? Mostly, I'm wondering if it'll be necessary for in-class exams... I don't want to be messing around with an external optical drive in class. I ask because I'm shopping around for a new laptop and am considering buying one without an optical drive and using an external optical drive on an as-needed basis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:38 am

como wrote:Ah, it's nice to see people excited to come to Ithaca. Enjoy that excitement for now...
Thanks.

I'm not excited. hth.

dogmatic slumber

New

Post by dogmatic slumber » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:46 am

^ That was post #10,110 for calicocat, accumulated at a rate of over 40 per day. i don't know how that ranks in the TLS annals, but I'm impressed.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:49 am

dogmatic slumber wrote:^ That was post #10,110 for calicocat, accumulated at a rate of over 40 per day. i don't know how that ranks in the TLS annals, but I'm impressed.
It's the fault of the BP thread which is just a glorified chatroom. And tbf, I haven't posted at that rate in a while.
It's just so pathetic.

also

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/memberlist.php

dogmatic slumber

New

Post by dogmatic slumber » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:52 am

calicocat wrote:
dogmatic slumber wrote:^ That was post #10,110 for calicocat, accumulated at a rate of over 40 per day. i don't know how that ranks in the TLS annals, but I'm impressed.
It's the fault of the BP thread which is just a glorified chatroom. And tbf, I haven't posted at that rate in a while.
It's just so pathetic.

also

Ha. You aren't even T20! I will acknowledge your T1 status though, and give you an additional nod of appreciation for being awake at this hour.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 am

dogmatic slumber wrote:
calicocat wrote:
It's just so pathetic.

also

Ha. You aren't even T20! I will acknowledge your T1 status though, and give you an additional nod of appreciation for being awake at this hour.
I should probably quit when I hit T20 tbh. And I'm on the west coast so, not even that impressive.

dogmatic slumber

New

Post by dogmatic slumber » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:57 am

calicocat wrote:
dogmatic slumber wrote:
calicocat wrote:
It's just so pathetic.

also

I should probably quit when I hit T20 tbh. And I'm on the west coast so, not even that impressive.
If you happen to be in LA, then respect. Shit closes early there. I was often asleep before 2 due to lack of alternatives. (Why I'm awake at 5 in Maine, and what this has to do with topics ITT, are open questions.)

legallybrunette16

Bronze

Post by legallybrunette16 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:54 pm

I know we've talked about the AOP a little bit already. But, can anyone who went give their opinion of it? is it really worth the extra reading/work/time? or is it purely beneficial for social reasons?

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 am

legallybrunette16 wrote:I know we've talked about the AOP a little bit already. But, can anyone who went give their opinion of it? is it really worth the extra reading/work/time? or is it purely beneficial for social reasons?
I went last year and will be TA-ing this year. I think it was a great experience (obviously), but it depends on what you're expecting to get out of it.

AOP is not supposed to be, and does not give you any academic advantage. 1L is too weird and too hellacious for any one week program to give an academic advantage. AOP is a good way to meet people and is socially beneficial to a certain extent, but the workload is very much intended to replicate 1L, so there really isn't a ton of time to hang out. AOP's main benefit and its purpose, is to help make you a little bit more comfortable with law school; it's beneficial emotionally more than anything else.

1L is a bitch, and anyone who tells you different is lying. A big part of that is the confusion/disorientation surrounding the socratic/case method. For 99% of people, LS is the first place you encounter anything like it. AOP helps you get a little bit more comfortable with it so that for the first month or so when you're freaking out about class, you have something to relate it to, and maybe some professors or upperclassmen to talk to about it.

AOP is a great program and I hope everyone who's invited comes.

PS: I know I make 1L sound miserable; it's not really. It's just an emotional roller-coaster: there are a LOT of both ups and downs.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:05 pm

calicocat wrote:
Thanks.

I'm not excited. hth.
don't you sass my boy now, Calico . . .

Also, for some reason Sheltron's post reminded me of an AD sequence of which I'm particularly fond:

Michael: "There's been a lot of lies in this family, mother."
Lucille: "And a lot of love."
Michael: "But more lies."

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:52 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
calicocat wrote:
Thanks.

I'm not excited. hth.

Also, for some reason Sheltron's post reminded me of an AD sequence of which I'm particularly fond:

Hmm..... :D

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:31 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
calicocat wrote:
Thanks.

I'm not excited. hth.

Hmm..... :D
Yeah, you're definitely being too optimistic, Shel. ;) Then again, I scoffed whenever anyone told me how much 1L sucked...

Now I understand. Fortunately, it only lasts nine months...

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:00 pm

mbw wrote: Yeah, you're definitely being too optimistic, Shel. ;) Then again, I scoffed whenever anyone told me how much 1L sucked...

Plus you get a month off for christmas!

PS: 1L fall/spring breaks and thanksgiving are for studying, not taking time off. JSYK.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legallybrunette16

Bronze

Post by legallybrunette16 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:41 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
PS: 1L fall/spring breaks and thanksgiving are for studying, not taking time off. JSYK.
so did you even go home?

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
mbw wrote: Yeah, you're definitely being too optimistic, Shel. ;) Then again, I scoffed whenever anyone told me how much 1L sucked...

I'll disagree with this. If you plan properly, you can avoid studying or outlining during breaks.

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:19 pm

I for one am doing at least a weekend road trip for the first weekend of fall break... I'll be taking in some real college football, not the TTT Ivy League "football" Cornell participates in.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

fsohn wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

I'll disagree with this. If you plan properly, you can avoid studying or outlining during breaks.
True. Also, if you plan properly, you can go for a hike and take a nap every single day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”