Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Po$eidon

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Po$eidon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 pm

Editeddd
Last edited by Po$eidon on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:If, say, you wanted to heavily target fedgov positions - particularly fedgov positions located in NYC (rarer) - over biglaw coming out of Cornell what would the correct approach be? Summer where, take what, apply how, extern with whom etc
There are many paths to this, depending on what agency you're talking about. Path to SEC regulatory is probably pretty different than SDNY USAO criminal division. What they have in common are the need for stellar grades.
Yeah I was sure about that. That's actually one of the trickier aspects of thinking about one's legal career trajectory it seems: how should one target the more exceptional outcomes early when one doesn't know their place? Should one wait until they do know better? But wouldn't one then correspondingly lose the ability to acquire big important internships and to tailor their law school experience with that outcome in mind? (Though, I suppose the early law school experience is relatively generic but good internships do matter).
The odds of landing a fedgov position in NYC fresh out of law school are laughably low, whether you're at Cornell or Columbia. But you could start by interning in that particularly fedgov agency, in NYC, two summers in a row. And then pray for the best. But that would probably still give you very very low odds of being hired

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:29 am

CR7 wrote:Is food cheaper at the on campus dining halls or in collegetown?
I just want to point out -- the food (both on campus and in Ctown) is amazing...so just....be warned that weight gain is real!

Also, love that GDragon is your avatar.

CR7

New

Post by CR7 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:43 am

smilingorch wrote:
I just want to point out -- the food (both on campus and in Ctown) is amazing...so just....be warned that weight gain is real!

Thanks! I think its great that collegetown has so many options on and near dryden road.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:23 pm

smilingorch wrote:

Wow, I (along with most of my friends) think that the food in Ctown BLOWS. The only place I semi-like is Oishi bowl, plus maybe Aladdin's. Other than that, all the food blows. What do you eat? Maybe I should try whatever you're eating...

Fork and Gavel is pretty good though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:44 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
smilingorch wrote:

Wow, I (along with most of my friends) think that the food in Ctown BLOWS. The only place I semi-like is Oishi bowl, plus maybe Aladdin's. Other than that, all the food blows. What do you eat? Maybe I should try whatever you're eating...

I definitely wouldn't call it amazing, but I also wouldn't say it blows. Then again, I'm not a foodie.

Have you tried the lunch buffet at Mehak's? What about the lunch specials at Rulloff's?

Also, there are multiple options that are good when drunk, which is really all that matters: CTP, Jack's, Dos Amigos (the food truck), etc.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
smilingorch wrote:

I definitely wouldn't call it amazing, but I also wouldn't say it blows. Then again, I'm not a foodie.

Have you tried the lunch buffet at Mehak's? What about the lunch specials at Rulloff's?

Also, there are multiple options that are good when drunk, which is really all that matters: CTP, Jack's, Dos Amigos (the food truck), etc.
I really like food, so maybe that's why I have such high standards.

Mehak's food sucks, imho, but I've also had really good Indian. I'm not too familiar with the lunch specials at Rulloff's.

I actually like CTP, that's true. Jack's sucks. Dos Amigos is good, you're right. Also, the sushi truck is BOMB and they now have poke bowls!

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:51 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
smilingorch wrote:

Mehak's food sucks, imho, but I've also had really good Indian. I'm not too familiar with the lunch specials at Rulloff's.

I actually like CTP, that's true. Jack's sucks. Dos Amigos is good, you're right. Also, the sushi truck is BOMB and they now have poke bowls!
I also like Miyake for sushi. All rolls are 40% off on Tuesdays.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 am

Trippel wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
smilingorch wrote:

I also like Miyake for sushi. All rolls are 40% off on Tuesdays.
It's been a while since I lived there. Wondering what restaurants are still open. I loved Koko when I was there (still open?) and there was another Korean restaurant down next to Mehak that had good food (but I didn't frequent it because the servers spoke Chinese and Korean, and would talk crap about the customers in one language and switch to the other when they realized you understood). There's also Hai Hong for dim sum and the Nines had some good options.

Aladdin's I loved. I thought CTB was decent, but didn't like the way you'd always smell burnt after leaving the restaurant. If you were willing to venture to north or west campus, the food never disappointed (I always checked online to choose which dining hall to eat at so I wouldn't waste time/money going to one with poor options that day). I got one of those meal plans where it was like 20 meals for the semester and some big red bucks and would mostly venture to north campus on weekends for brunch (those pancakes and omelets!) Also, the hotel students' restaurant Establishment had some pretty amazing options on those themed nights.

I also had a car, so I would sometimes drive to the Commons and get Five Guys, Taco Bell, Arby's, Groupers if I had a craving. There's also a restaurant called Antlers that we'd go to for duck that was great--it's also a drive though.

I should point out that I live in Boston now, where there's practically any type of cuisine just a T ride away. I definitely wouldn't move back to Ithaca just for the food, but I felt it had some solid options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:00 pm

smilingorch wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote: Wow, I (along with most of my friends) think that the food in Ctown BLOWS. The only place I semi-like is Oishi bowl, plus maybe Aladdin's. Other than that, all the food blows. What do you eat? Maybe I should try whatever you're eating...

It's been a while since I lived there. Wondering what restaurants are still open. I loved Koko when I was there (still open?) and there was another Korean restaurant down next to Mehak that had good food (but I didn't frequent it because the servers spoke Chinese and Korean, and would talk crap about the customers in one language and switch to the other when they realized you understood). There's also Hai Hong for dim sum and the Nines had some good options.

Aladdin's I loved. I thought CTB was decent, but didn't like the way you'd always smell burnt after leaving the restaurant. If you were willing to venture to north or west campus, the food never disappointed (I always checked online to choose which dining hall to eat at so I wouldn't waste time/money going to one with poor options that day). I got one of those meal plans where it was like 20 meals for the semester and some big red bucks and would mostly venture to north campus on weekends for brunch (those pancakes and omelets!) Also, the hotel students' restaurant Establishment had some pretty amazing options on those themed nights.

I also had a car, so I would sometimes drive to the Commons and get Five Guys, Taco Bell, Arby's, Groupers if I had a craving. There's also a restaurant called Antlers that we'd go to for duck that was great--it's also a drive though.

I should point out that I live in Boston now, where there's practically any type of cuisine just a T ride away. I definitely wouldn't move back to Ithaca just for the food, but I felt it had some solid options.
KoKo is still there (unless it closed in the last 8 months) and it was also pretty good. Also thought CTB was good, just overpriced, and I never noticed anything about smelling burnt after leaving there. Forgot about the Nines, which is also decent but long wait.

I assumed we were only discussing collegetown or else I'd point out that there are plenty of other, much better places to eat in Ithaca. Also, I'm with you on the Five Guys, etc., but something tells me hopeful isn't. :lol: There's a Chipotle across from Five Guys now, and that was my main spot.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:26 am

Lavitz wrote:
smilingorch wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote: Wow, I (along with most of my friends) think that the food in Ctown BLOWS. The only place I semi-like is Oishi bowl, plus maybe Aladdin's. Other than that, all the food blows. What do you eat? Maybe I should try whatever you're eating...

KoKo is still there (unless it closed in the last 8 months) and it was also pretty good. Also thought CTB was good, just overpriced, and I never noticed anything about smelling burnt after leaving there. Forgot about the Nines, which is also decent but long wait.

I assumed we were only discussing collegetown or else I'd point out that there are plenty of other, much better places to eat in Ithaca. Also, I'm with you on the Five Guys, etc., but something tells me hopeful isn't. :lol: There's a Chipotle across from Five Guys now, and that was my main spot.
Lol, all I'm saying is, don't move to Ithaca for the food. And Five Guys fits right into that statement. But honestly, who cares? No one's going to Ithaca for the food - they're going for Cornell. And the dope employment stats. I think that's pretty unequivocal, but idk it's TLS so maybe someone will object.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 am

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
smilingorch wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Lol, all I'm saying is, don't move to Ithaca for the food. And Five Guys fits right into that statement. But honestly, who cares? No one's going to Ithaca for the food - they're going for Cornell. And the dope employment stats. I think that's pretty unequivocal, but idk it's TLS so maybe someone will object.
Yeah, I'd agree. Like I said, I wouldn't move back just for the food. But I didn't think it was bad by any stretch. At least when comparing to the food my siblings had to look forward to on their campuses/surrounding areas.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 am

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Lol, all I'm saying is, don't move to Ithaca for the food. And Five Guys fits right into that statement. But honestly, who cares? No one's going to Ithaca for the food - they're going for Cornell. And the dope employment stats. I think that's pretty unequivocal, but idk it's TLS so maybe someone will object.
I wouldn't object. But the admissions office might.

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... /index.cfm
Ithaca has more restaurants per capita than New York City, and it attracts diners from all around the world. Ithaca was recognized as one of the "foodiest" towns in the US by Bon Appetit Magazine. Ithaca is home to the famous Moosewood Restaurant, whose award-winning vegetarian cookbooks attract diners from around the country.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 am

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:don't move to Ithaca for the food

muggleclutch

New

Post by muggleclutch » Mon May 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Anyone have any input on a plan of action regarding housing? I've deposited at Cornell (and am excited about attending), but I am also waiting on a bunch of other waitlists. It strikes me as a personal decision whether or not I should continue waiting to hear back from other schools while not moving forward with housing or if I should try and find housing now while taking the risk of having to back out of an agreement down the line. But I would love to hear what people think.

Also, for those with experience, what can I expect out of initial housing negotiations/agreements at Cornell (would prefer to find a 1BR apartment/studio or a 1BR with roommates)? Would it mostly likely be a lease that would be difficult to get out of without serious pain? Or potentially only a single initial deposit?

Is finding good housing pretty limited? What about later in the summer, say by late June? I'm hoping to find something reasonably close to campus - 1 to 2 miles away - preferably not downtown, and in a standalone house as opposed to a more generic apartment complex.

I do not currently live close enough to Ithaca to do any kind of in-person investigating, but I will be nearby starting in late June. So it's possible I could spend a few days there scoping things out in person then. Recommended?

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 am

muggleclutch wrote:Anyone have any input on a plan of action regarding housing? I've deposited at Cornell (and am excited about attending), but I am also waiting on a bunch of other waitlists. It strikes me as a personal decision whether or not I should continue waiting to hear back from other schools while not moving forward with housing or if I should try and find housing now while taking the risk of having to back out of an agreement down the line. But I would love to hear what people think.

Also, for those with experience, what can I expect out of initial housing negotiations/agreements at Cornell (would prefer to find a 1BR apartment/studio or a 1BR with roommates)? Would it mostly likely be a lease that would be difficult to get out of without serious pain? Or potentially only a single initial deposit?

Is finding good housing pretty limited? What about later in the summer, say by late June? I'm hoping to find something reasonably close to campus - 1 to 2 miles away - preferably not downtown, and in a standalone house as opposed to a more generic apartment complex.

I do not currently live close enough to Ithaca to do any kind of in-person investigating, but I will be nearby starting in late June. So it's possible I could spend a few days there scoping things out in person then. Recommended?
You're in luck. A massive amount of housing within a 1-2 mi radius of the law school consist of standalone houses that have been broken into multiple apartments. You can also find single-unit houses for rent as well, but those are rare. A large portion of these houses are located in Fall Creek, which reaps the benefits of being near Downtown without actually being in Downtown. I can't speak to the timing as the semester draws nearer, since I signed a lease around this time last year, but I know many people who didn't look for a place until closer to the fall. Late June doesn't sound too late. Honestly, all of this depends on your budget and how much the loss of a deposit will hurt your bank account, which is very subjective.

muggleclutch

New

Post by muggleclutch » Tue May 02, 2017 11:26 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:
muggleclutch wrote:Anyone have any input on a plan of action regarding housing? I've deposited at Cornell (and am excited about attending), but I am also waiting on a bunch of other waitlists. It strikes me as a personal decision whether or not I should continue waiting to hear back from other schools while not moving forward with housing or if I should try and find housing now while taking the risk of having to back out of an agreement down the line. But I would love to hear what people think.

You're in luck. A massive amount of housing within a 1-2 mi radius of the law school consist of standalone houses that have been broken into multiple apartments. You can also find single-unit houses for rent as well, but those are rare. A large portion of these houses are located in Fall Creek, which reaps the benefits of being near Downtown without actually being in Downtown. I can't speak to the timing as the semester draws nearer, since I signed a lease around this time last year, but I know many people who didn't look for a place until closer to the fall. Late June doesn't sound too late. Honestly, all of this depends on your budget and how much the loss of a deposit will hurt your bank account, which is very subjective.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you referring to a housing deposit or the school deposit? If we're talking housing, which is what I'm thinking, can I expect to only be walking away from a deposit or would I most likely be in conflict with a full year's lease - or is the deposit all you lose from reneging on such an agreement? And how much ought I expect for a deposit? I haven't had much experience renting, so I really am not familiar with what I can expect from the process (or the consequences of abandoning it). Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue May 02, 2017 11:59 am

muggleclutch wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you referring to a housing deposit or the school deposit? If we're talking housing, which is what I'm thinking, can I expect to only be walking away from a deposit or would I most likely be in conflict with a full year's lease - or is the deposit all you lose from reneging on such an agreement? And how much ought I expect for a deposit? I haven't had much experience renting, so I really am not familiar with what I can expect from the process (or the consequences of abandoning it). Thanks!
I was talking about the housing deposit. I've seen deposits ranging from 50%-150% of one month's rent, and 100% of one month's rent seems to be most common. More if you have pets. Whether they give back your deposit, you lose part of it or the whole thing, or they sue you for the rent you owe under the contract entirely depends on how far the property manager wants to pursue it, and sometimes on the specific wording in the lease. Best practice is to be upfront with any property manager: If you think you might abandon Ithaca at the last minute because H/Y/S took you off the waitlist, tell them that and ask what their deposit policy is. If they flat out say that you are responsible for the entire lease's rent in that situation, maybe rent from someone else. And even if you were responsible for all of the rent in that situation, as soon as they find someone to lease the place instead of you, you're probably off the hook.

I did alright in contracts, but I'm still just a 1L and not an attorney so don't take any of what I just said as legal advice. It's all anecdotal.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Wed May 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Lincoln wrote:
cornelly777 wrote: 1: Has anyone lived in co-op housing? Would you recommend it? Do you recommend any specific one?
If you are willing to put up with sharing a room, Telluride House is the best deal in town. IIRC, free room and board (and the food is excellent!) and it's not even a 5-min walk from the law school.
How does one go about this as a 1l?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed May 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
cornelly777 wrote: 1: Has anyone lived in co-op housing? Would you recommend it? Do you recommend any specific one?
If you are willing to put up with sharing a room, Telluride House is the best deal in town. IIRC, free room and board (and the food is excellent!) and it's not even a 5-min walk from the law school.
Too late, application period for the upcoming year is closed: http://telluridehouse.org/apply/

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Wed May 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Too late, application period for the upcoming year is closed: http://telluridehouse.org/apply/
Any idea where the cheapest furnished apartments are? I need to live on loans. Also, how usable is public transportation? I planned on leaving my car here, it's falling apart. I assume most people have cars, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:55 pm

is it cheaper to take a taxi or an uber from ithaca thomkins airport to the cornell/collegetown area? Are there buses that go from the airport to campus/collegetown from the airport too?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat May 06, 2017 2:52 pm

charles117 wrote:is it cheaper to take a taxi or an uber from ithaca thomkins airport to the cornell/collegetown area? Are there buses that go from the airport to campus/collegetown from the airport too?
You're assuming that uber exists in Ithaca. It does not.

I used collegetown cab the one time I needed one. Wasn't bad. Once you start 1L, the credited answer is to pester a friend who has a car to take you / pick you up.

Yes, apparently a bus does go there. Route 32 once every hour on weekdays: https://tcat.nextinsight.com/routes/459#bigpic . Route 72 on weekends: https://tcat.nextinsight.com/routes/512

counttoten

New

Post by counttoten » Sat May 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Lavitz wrote:
charles117 wrote:is it cheaper to take a taxi or an uber from ithaca thomkins airport to the cornell/collegetown area? Are there buses that go from the airport to campus/collegetown from the airport too?
You're assuming that uber exists in Ithaca. It does not.

I used collegetown cab the one time I needed one. Wasn't bad. Once you start 1L, the credited answer is to pester a friend who has a car to take you / pick you up.

Yes, apparently a bus does go there. Route 32 once every hour on weekdays: https://tcat.nextinsight.com/routes/459#bigpic . Route 72 on weekends: https://tcat.nextinsight.com/routes/512
FWIW, Uber/Lyft and other ride-sharing services should be coming to Ithaca over the summer. There had been a gov't restriction on upstate NY that got lifted very recently.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat May 06, 2017 4:58 pm

counttoten wrote:FWIW, Uber/Lyft and other ride-sharing services should be coming to Ithaca over the summer. There had been a gov't restriction on upstate NY that got lifted very recently.
About time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”