Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
clone22

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by clone22 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:33 pm

mths wrote:
holybartender wrote:Skyhook: it's been pretty enjoyable if not a little solitary. I'm externing for a judge. I spend eight hours a day in a room writing memos, bits of opinions, and researching odd things that the clerks ask for. It's intellectually pretty cool stuff, but I actually haven't been in a courtroom yet haha.
Do they have a courtroom where you are?

Don't go and choke on some malibu now.
Any tips on surviving particular 1L professors?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:41 pm

clone22 wrote:
mths wrote:
holybartender wrote:Skyhook: it's been pretty enjoyable if not a little solitary. I'm externing for a judge. I spend eight hours a day in a room writing memos, bits of opinions, and researching odd things that the clerks ask for. It's intellectually pretty cool stuff, but I actually haven't been in a courtroom yet haha.

Sure, who do you have?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:43 pm

clone22 wrote:
equalityLaw10 wrote:
memoryl0ss wrote:How are the cell phone carriers up there? Any difference between the cell coverage between Verizon, At&t, and T-Mobile?
Anyone?
AT&T was good when I visited, not sure how the others stack up.
I have AT&T and I hate it with a passion. Lots of dropped calls and such.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:23 pm

mths wrote:
clone22 wrote:
equalityLaw10 wrote:
memoryl0ss wrote:How are the cell phone carriers up there? Any difference between the cell coverage between Verizon, At&t, and T-Mobile?
Anyone?
AT&T was good when I visited, not sure how the others stack up.
I have ____ and I hate it with a passion.
FTFY. :)

edit: btw, where are you that you were posting all those great photos on facebook. I'm jealous being stuck in DC.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:15 pm

CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote: I have ____ and I hate it with a passion.
FTFY. :)

edit: btw, where are you that you were posting all those great photos on facebook. I'm jealous being stuck in DC.
Hahahahahahahaha well played, bro.

I'm in HAWAII :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 pm

mths wrote:
clone22 wrote:
mths wrote:

Sure, who do you have?
We don't know yet.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:19 pm

So what was the point of the question?

shuttlesworth

New

Post by shuttlesworth » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:27 pm

clone22 wrote:
mths wrote:

Read Hillman's hornbook.

Clermont will test on whatever the guest speaker talks about.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 pm

shuttlesworth wrote:
clone22 wrote:
mths wrote:

Read Hillman's hornbook.

Clermont will test on whatever the guest speaker talks about.
Lolwut. I seem to remember some mention of "Queen" Clermont in previous pages...?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:45 am

Is mths the resident stormcloud? :wink:

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:24 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Is mths the resident stormcloud? :wink:
Nope, Mths is pretty tame.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:18 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Nope, Mths is pretty tame.
<3

Asleep

New

Post by Asleep » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:00 am

Another food question - how much does it cost to get lunch at the law school, do people usually eat there, and can you get decent things to eat (portions and substance)?

Looking forward to putting on the 1L 15.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:42 pm

I didn't particularly loves Hughes, the dining place in the law building, but Willard Straight Hall is only a three minute or so walk further into campus and has good food. All of the other campus places to eat are much better really.

Asleep

New

Post by Asleep » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Hm, ok. If I were to eat lunch at Hughes Hall, about how much would that cost?

kehoema2

Bronze

Post by kehoema2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:44 pm

I checked some of the earlier pages of this thread but figured I'd ask anyway. How is Cornell without a car? I figure I will probably need my car mostly for getting groceries, but could easily do that by bus. Is it that much more of a pain using a bus?

Thanks.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Asleep wrote:Hm, ok. If I were to eat lunch at Hughes Hall, about how much would that cost?
Maybe $7.50. It's a $5.50 sandwich, $1.50 drink, plus tax sort of place. I agree with HB, it's not worth the price, although it is convenient. I will give them another plug, though, for their charitable support of the pie-eating contest last spring. :D
Yes, and don't let her tell you otherwise.
clone22 wrote:Any tips on surviving particular 1L professors?
As was said above, read Hillman's hornbook, for both semesters, whether you have him first or second. Hillman and Summers (who retired last year) used to trade off contracts classes for all 1Ls, and wrote the casebook which is still used. Hillman wrote an excellent, plain English, concise hornbook that helps teach the topics much more clearly than, say, Rachlinski does in class. Also, on the topic of buying hornbooks, wait for the CLS used book sales (CLSA runs one, and I think BLSA does as well.) They'll take place the first few weeks of school and you can snag supplements for cheap.

Because 100% of your grade in every most 1L classes is the final, though, I don't think you need tips for "surviving" a professor until you get down to doing practice exams and studying for finals. Except maybe Holden-Smith. If she's teaching in the fall, be sure to read every case for every day, unless you don't mind public shaming. ;)
I had AT&T, and it worked okay, not fantastic. You will lose all coverage in the basement of the law school, as well as, inexplicably, inside Target, on the north side of town (every time!) I switched to Sprint (got a steep discount since my brother was joining too), and for the short while I had that phone in Ithaca, it was worse than AT&T. Often lost coverage throughout Myron Taylor Hall. Can't vouch for the other carriers.

Light wrote:Hey I'm from Florida, I'll probably be attending this fall since Cornell matched Georgetown's aid for me. I've been looking on Cornell's website but I can't seem to find salary data for 2010/2009. I found the placement data but not specifically the salary data. Can someone kindly link me to where I can find this data?
You seem kinda hellbent on this salary data, Light, but I'm not sure it's all that helpful. For one, almost every single school in the top 30 or so reports a $160k median. There have been tons of blog posts and articles written about how notoriously law schools skew the data (just scour Above the Law for a while). The administration at some law schools have created temp jobs in admissions just to employ a few more people at graduation, then cut the jobs six months later, right after the US News reporting deadline. Plus, any salary stats are self-reported, and thus suffer serious selection bias (say that sentence three times fast). The kids without jobs, or working temp/contract work in the back of a Wendy's for $35k/year, aren't going to tell Career Services that. If you're making a choice between schools, especially between Cornell and Georgetown, there are a thousand things more important than reported salary statistics (particularly the atmosphere of a smaller, cozier school like Cornell vs. a 2,000-student TTT degree mill. ;))

Some of the more reputable data holds that Cornell sent more grads to NLJ 250 firms last year than any other law school in the nation (58% of our grads). Plus, if that Law School Transparency site is to be believed, we sent 6% to Article III clerkships, which are very prestigious. So even in some pretty choppy economic waters, I think we did alright. But take that with a grain of salt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:27 am

vexion wrote:
Yes, and don't let her tell you otherwise.
don't bitch

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Did anyone have a meal plan? How was it?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:14 am

CyLaw wrote:
Asleep wrote:If I were to go on the meal plan, how far is it to an all-you-can eat dining hall from the law school? Also, do many (any) law students get the meal plan?

-0L with a hearty appetite and no cooking skills
5 min walk to 3 of the dining halls. They are pretty good. A few of us that lived in Hughes had a 10 or 14 meals per week plan. There is an option for around $500 Big Red Bucks (used to buy food on campus) and 10 meals per semester that a lot of people I knew had.

Gigaton Punch

New

Post by Gigaton Punch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:25 am

hey guys. i recently got accepted into cornell as a transfer (not much info on transfer section of TLS), and i was wondering how the transfers fared at OCI. Since i have a GPA from another school, how will employers look at my standing? with whom will they compare my standing with?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Gigaton Punch wrote:hey guys. i recently got accepted into cornell as a transfer (not much info on transfer section of TLS), and i was wondering how the transfers fared at OCI. Since i have a GPA from another school, how will employers look at my standing? with whom will they compare my standing with?
I don't think you're going to get much of an answer here. My class (I'm an incoming 3L) didn't have any transfer students. Although they've had them in prior years, I don't think there are usually more than a handful, which isn't really enough to give you a picture of how it'll be handled.
vexion wrote:
Asleep wrote:Hm, ok. If I were to eat lunch at Hughes Hall, about how much would that cost?
Maybe $7.50. It's a $5.50 sandwich, $1.50 drink, plus tax sort of place. I agree with HB, it's not worth the price, although it is convenient. I will give them another plug, though, for their charitable support of the pie-eating contest last spring. :D
If you like a fancy sandwich every day, it definitely gets expensive. If you are like me and live on scrambled eggs, toast, and grilled cheese, it's darn cheap.

I don't know why I eat at Hughes every day. I think I just got into the habit my 1L year (back when Hughes was good and Big Mike made incredible chicken pesto sandwiches) and never stopped going.
Last edited by Other25BeforeYou on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigaton Punch

New

Post by Gigaton Punch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Gigaton Punch wrote:hey guys. i recently got accepted into cornell as a transfer (not much info on transfer section of TLS), and i was wondering how the transfers fared at OCI. Since i have a GPA from another school, how will employers look at my standing? with whom will they compare my standing with?
I don't think you're going to get much of an answer here. My class (I'm an incoming 3L) didn't have any transfer students. Although they've had them in prior years, I don't think there are usually more than a handful, which is really enough to give you a picture of how it'll be handled.
vexion wrote:
If you like a fancy sandwich every day, it definitely gets expensive. If you are like me and live on scrambled eggs, toast, and grilled cheese, it's darn cheap.

I don't know why I eat at Hughes every day. I think I just got into the habit my 1L year (back when Hughes was good and Big Mike made incredible chicken pesto sandwiches) and never stopped going.[/quote]

how will it be handled? did you mean it positively or negatively?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:41 am

Gigaton Punch wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
I don't think you're going to get much of an answer here. My class (I'm an incoming 3L) didn't have any transfer students. Although they've had them in prior years, I don't think there are usually more than a handful, which is really enough to give you a picture of how it'll be handled.
vexion wrote:

I don't know why I eat at Hughes every day. I think I just got into the habit my 1L year (back when Hughes was good and Big Mike made incredible chicken pesto sandwiches) and never stopped going.
I didn't mean it any way, I just mistyped. I meant to say "which isn't really enough to give you a picture of how it'll be handled." Sorry, I need to not post when I'm already half asleep.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Gigaton Punch wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Like Other25 said, there aren't many transfer students (I met one in the rising 3L class, and that's the only one I've heard of). And those that do transfer to Cornell aren't obligated to share their OCI success/failure with the whole school (bad manners :P). Your best bet, if you're deciding whether to take the transfer, would be to shoot a quick email to Dean John Derosa. He and one other career advisor do all the large-firm (OCI) stuff. His email address is john-derosa@lawschool.cornell.edu. He could tell you a lot better how employers will gauge your GPA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”