Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
holybartender

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by holybartender » Mon May 10, 2010 2:15 pm

What does AOP stand for?

edit- Owned.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm sure this question has been answered numerous times but how does Cornell place for BigLaw in other areas like Chicago or D.C.?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon May 10, 2010 9:02 pm

So is this AOP by invitation-only? Cause I haven't been invited AFAIK.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Mon May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

vexion wrote:So is this AOP by invitation-only? Cause I haven't been invited AFAIK.
It is by invite, but they won't send out info until late June or July. Last year, essentially anyone who wrote a diversity statement on their app was invited -- I'm not sure if they'll do it differently this year, because it ended up being half the class. It's not really a huge academic leg-up or anything -- but it does help to get acclimated to the school and area.

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Tue May 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Why is almost none of Ithaca available for streetview on Google maps? I want to be able to look around Collegetown online!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Whats the deal with parking and guest parking if you live in Hughes? What if I have someone come visit for the weekend, where would they park?

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 pm

acdisagod wrote:Whats the deal with parking and guest parking if you live in Hughes? What if I have someone come visit for the weekend, where would they park?
There are no parking restrictions on most of the lot behind the law school on weekends. You can rent a parking space from the school, but your lot will be a good walk from the law school building. You can also rent a parking space in collegetown from random people who offer them.

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 pm

For Hughes, what floor are L rooms on? e.g. L03, etc.? I heard there are basement rooms (i.e. no windows)? Is this true??

Thanks

lawblahblah

New

Post by lawblahblah » Sat May 15, 2010 11:53 am

I only made it through about 20 pages of this thread, so sorry if some of this has already been answered.

What is the general consensus about the Hasbrouck graduate family housing? It seems a little expensive for what you get, but I like the idea of being so close to campus.

How well does Cornell place in California relative to other top 14 schools? Does the career services office place much of a focus on California placements? Are there many students interested in working in California, or is it predominantly just NYC?

Other than the actual scholarship award is there any real benefit to the Dean's Scholar award? Does it help at all with the 1L job search?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Sun May 16, 2010 12:58 am

Not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but how competitive is admissions to the JD/LLM in international law program? I didn't apply for it when i initially applied for admissions. Was going to apply during first year. Is it competitive like the dual degrees with french and german universities, where there are only 2 slots a year max? or is it more they will pretty much let anyone do it?

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Sun May 16, 2010 1:04 am

lawblahblah wrote:I only made it through about 20 pages of this thread, so sorry if some of this has already been answered.

What is the general consensus about the Hasbrouck graduate family housing? It seems a little expensive for what you get, but I like the idea of being so close to campus.

How well does Cornell place in California relative to other top 14 schools? Does the career services office place much of a focus on California placements? Are there many students interested in working in California, or is it predominantly just NYC?

Other than the actual scholarship award is there any real benefit to the Dean's Scholar award? Does it help at all with the 1L job search?

Thanks.
I've known both law and non-law people in Hasbrouck. No one has had complaints about it. It is close to campus, but it's a bit of a walk during the winter.

Not sure about how many people go to CA, but I know that there are enough this year that BARBRI is running a CA bar exam course. If I remember correctly, that's about 15 people out of the current graduating class taking the CA bar.

As for the Dean's Scholarship, it's something to put on your resume, and not much more.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Sun May 16, 2010 1:21 am

lawblahblah wrote: Other than the actual scholarship award is there any real benefit to the Dean's Scholar award? Does it help at all with the 1L job search?

Thanks.
I'm sure, yes.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon May 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Any upperclassmen have numbers on how 2009 OCI went?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Tue May 18, 2010 8:51 am

Semi-double posting from the 2013 class thread but, is the June 1 deadline for the Dean's Certification form a hard deadline or more of a target?

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 am

Big Tuna wrote:Semi-double posting from the 2013 class thread but, is the June 1 deadline for the Dean's Certification form a hard deadline or more of a target?
I would assume it's a "hard deadline", but if you think it won't reach them in time, shoot them an email and tell them why. I doubt they will give you grief if you have a reason.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Any 1L's have Chantal Thomas as their K's prof this semester? I'd be interested in how this is being perceived:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/cornell- ... vagueness/

Ronaldo

New

Post by Ronaldo » Wed May 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Big Tuna wrote:Semi-double posting from the 2013 class thread but, is the June 1 deadline for the Dean's Certification form a hard deadline or more of a target?

I thought we did not have to send the Dean's Certification form, am I mistaken?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed May 19, 2010 2:29 pm

vexion wrote:
CCoolidge wrote:I just noticed there is a link on the Admitted Students website for a Dean's Certification. Is this form required and if so by when?
If you were admitted, I don't think they required it. :P

From the instructions to the online application (http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... inal-2.pdf):
A Dean’s Certification Form is not required as part of your application for admission unless you answered “yes” to Question 22 on your application. If you answered “yes” to this question, please give this form to the dean of students (or a comparable official with access to the school’s official records) at the institution from which you received your baccalaureate degree. Prior to matriculation at the Cornell Law School, all admitted students must submit a completed Dean’s Certification Form. More Information about this form will be provided upon admission.
So the flowchart is:

Did you answer "Yes" to Question 22 on your application?

Y - Include a Dean's Certification in your application packet
N - You are not required to include a Dean's Certification in your application packet

Were you admitted to Cornell Law School?

Y - See next question
N - STOP. Put your pencils down and do not go on to the next section.

Did you include a Dean's Certification in your application packet?

Y - Congratulations! You are done.
N - You're gonna need one before you matriculate.

What does "matriculate" mean?

ma·tric·u·late (v. muh-trik-yuh-leyt; n. muh-trik-yuh-lit)

- verb

1. to enroll in a college or university as a candidate for degree.
2. to register (a coat of arms), used esp. in Scottish heraldry.

The instructions specifically state, "Prior to matriculating at Cornell Law School." Thus, they're probably referring to needing a Dean's Certification before you enroll in classes. But just to be sure, you might want to check your genealogy. If you are Scottish, and your coat of arms has not yet been registered, you may wish to do this during your time at Cornell Law School (extra credit in Trusts & Estates.) This matter warrants further investigation.

If you need it, the Dean's Certification is available online at --LinkRemoved--.

Cheers!

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Wed May 19, 2010 3:18 pm

They changed it from last year- it used to be part of the application but a lot of people were prevented from going complete because their school took so long. This year, you didn't have to send it with your application, but they do still require you to send it before classes begin. You basically just need your Dean to sign off saying you don't have any instances of academic misconduct on your record at the school.

MadHatress

New

Post by MadHatress » Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 am

Hi,
Im not sure if this has already been asked, but whats the social scene like on campus? What are the students like in general? Ive visited some campuses where the vibe was so douchey it completely put me off the school.

How hard would it be to socialize if you dont drink?

Whats the attitude towards people of faith on campus? As in, can you be obviously religious without being dismissed, derided or just generally judged?

Overall, how personable and laid back is the attitude?

Everything I know about Cornell I love and its my dream school, but Ive never been to the campus and just need some social context to aid my Cornell fantasies for the time-being :)

Thanks!!

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Thu May 20, 2010 1:07 am

MadHatress wrote:Hi,
Im not sure if this has already been asked, but whats the social scene like on campus? What are the students like in general? Ive visited some campuses where the vibe was so douchey it completely put me off the school.

How hard would it be to socialize if you dont drink?

Whats the attitude towards people of faith on campus? As in, can you be obviously religious without being dismissed, derided or just generally judged?

Overall, how personable and laid back is the attitude?

Everything I know about Cornell I love and its my dream school, but Ive never been to the campus and just need some social context to aid my Cornell fantasies for the time-being :)

Thanks!!
There's going to be the douche contingent at every school. Cornell is no exception. Most people are perfectly personal, and I've made some very good friends here, too.

Ithaca is a college town, and we are training to be members of one of the most drunken professions in America, but I can't imagine its too difficult to socialize without drinking. Harder, but not impossible.

It's not hard to be a person of faith here. The Christian Legal Society is sometimes fairly well attended, and I know from seeing professors at church that plenty of them go. People know that I go to church, and I don't get any grief about it, and the LDS folks in the J Reuben Clark Society, who are probably the most forwardly religious folks outside of CLS, get along fine. People like their ice cream socials, which they host instead of bar tabs. You are more likely to catch flak for your political positions, or what people assume them to be. But that's nothing new.

I think your last question is answered by the stuff above. There are not too many gunners (I should know, I was/am on), and even the gunners are normally personable folks. I've never had a problem getting or giving out notes, finding study groups, etc. Basically, if you are colorably within the range of normal, you'll get along fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MadHatress

New

Post by MadHatress » Thu May 20, 2010 5:24 am

Thanks for the reply, really good to know :D I was expecting the assumed political views, but I think on a different scale. How do Muslim students that dont drink fare socially?
Also, while on the subject of political views, whats the tolerance level regarding unfavorable views of Israel?
I know thats a touchy subject, but some campuses are on board with the BDS campaign etc whilst others (ex: BU) order public floggings for negative comment re Israeli policy. Some straight up info on that would seriously be appreciated.

*This isn't a flame, I worded the question as unprovocatively (sp?) as possible. Still, sorry for any outrage it might cause.

Thanks again :) This thread is being very helpful.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu May 20, 2010 6:24 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:Any 1L's have Chantal Thomas as their K's prof this semester? I'd be interested in how this is being perceived:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/cornell- ... vagueness/
Can't really speak for anybody else, but I really didn't think it was a very big deal, and I think that Dean Garvey's decision pretty much made things right.

Don't really know what motivated the "tipster" other than the fact that Prof was not a favorite among students. IMO not a smart move to make your school look bad 2 months before OCI.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu May 20, 2010 11:10 am

MadHatress wrote:Thanks for the reply, really good to know :D I was expecting the assumed political views, but I think on a different scale. How do Muslim students that dont drink fare socially?
Also, while on the subject of political views, whats the tolerance level regarding unfavorable views of Israel?
I know thats a touchy subject, but some campuses are on board with the BDS campaign etc whilst others (ex: BU) order public floggings for negative comment re Israeli policy. Some straight up info on that would seriously be appreciated.

*This isn't a flame, I worded the question as unprovocatively (sp?) as possible. Still, sorry for any outrage it might cause.

Thanks again :) This thread is being very helpful.
The most outspoken first year (well, now second year, I suppose) I know about such issues is pretty critical of Israeli policy, and he definitely hasn't been publicly flogged yet and is well respected amongst his peers (as far as I can tell).

I've talked to some people who lean the other direction. There definitely doesn't seem to be a consensus, and I'm sure there are some kick ass debates one could have.

I do not know how Muslim students who don't drink fair socially, but I know how a bunch of people who don't drink for no particular religious or cultural reason fair, and they fair absolutely fine. I don't tend to go out to bar tabs etc. for personal reasons, and no one seems to care. I still have friends, including people who do go out drinking regularly.

In general I've found that even the gunners and assholes at Cornell are pretty nice and good for a conversation or debate.

KMaine, are you who I think you are? Did you sit between me and another Mainer (Mainian? Mainite?) in Crim and Civ Pro this semester?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 am

Also, do any Cornellians know when spring semester grades generally come out?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”