Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
oliverlovesyou

New

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by oliverlovesyou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Does Cornell record classes? Allow them to be recorded?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:50 pm

oliverlovesyou wrote:Does Cornell record classes? Allow them to be recorded?
Depends on the prof

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:57 pm

How did open signups go for y'all? Hope me withdrawing from Cornell gave you guys some good screeners.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:How did open signups go for y'all? Hope me withdrawing from Cornell gave you guys some good screeners.
Congrats Ajax! Yes, I did get a good screener, so thanks! Hopefully you'll stop trolling the Cornell threads now. :D

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:52 am

Hope yall summer is going well. Can you guys go into more depth on the mentoring program. Also how did you approach upperclass members initially in the semester? Were most amenable to answering questions about exam content/professors? How did you determine whether their advice was useful?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:27 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:How did open signups go for y'all? Hope me withdrawing from Cornell gave you guys some good screeners.
I added Cravath and another solid firm on the second round, so much better.

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Shameless advertizing (and it's repeated in the Class of 2015 thread):

I have my first year casebooks and supplements for sale.
Most are in very good condition with a bare minimum of writing/highlighting, if any at all.
Some I bought new, some used. I'll be in Ithaca until August 1 and then back again August 9.
I guarantee the price will less than the online pricing for the same quality book.
PM me if interested in taking a look.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:06 pm

morally0bese wrote:Hope yall summer is going well. Can you guys go into more depth on the mentoring program. Also how did you approach upperclass members initially in the semester? Were most amenable to answering questions about exam content/professors? How did you determine whether their advice was useful?
Almost every upperclassmen I talked to was very friendly and forthcoming with advice. I plan on doing the same thing. We were all 1Ls very recently, so we remember how confusing and at times overwhelming the experience is. Honestly approaching and introducing yourself works 99% of the time. Mentors are hit or miss, but you can approach almost any upperclassman about advice.

How solid the advice is depends on what question you're asking. If you're asking "how do I do well?", well everyone's different so advice might or might not be useful. When you ask "what is this professor's exam like?", almost everyone will give you a spot-on answer (assuming they took that prof) because, again, it happened very recently. Once you figure out what a professor's exam is like, it's up to you to come up with the best studying strategy. And again, just be friendly and ask a lot of people. If 10 ppl tell you the same thing about an exam, then chances are it's accurate so you should adjust your studying accordingly.

So it's not that upperclassmen have the magical answer to how to study and do well, they can just provide info on how you will be tested, so you can tailor your studying accordingly.

edit: congrats Arbiter, nice to see that douches leaving frees up spots for more deserving people

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:14 pm

clone22 wrote: edit: congrats Arbiter, nice to see that douches leaving frees up spots for more deserving peopleslightly less douchey people
:P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:47 pm

clone22 wrote:
morally0bese wrote:Hope yall summer is going well. Can you guys go into more depth on the mentoring program. Also how did you approach upperclass members initially in the semester? Were most amenable to answering questions about exam content/professors? How did you determine whether their advice was useful?
Almost every upperclassmen I talked to was very friendly and forthcoming with advice. I plan on doing the same thing. We were all 1Ls very recently, so we remember how confusing and at times overwhelming the experience is. Honestly approaching and introducing yourself works 99% of the time. Mentors are hit or miss, but you can approach almost any upperclassman about advice.

How solid the advice is depends on what question you're asking. If you're asking "how do I do well?", well everyone's different so advice might or might not be useful. When you ask "what is this professor's exam like?", almost everyone will give you a spot-on answer (assuming they took that prof) because, again, it happened very recently. Once you figure out what a professor's exam is like, it's up to you to come up with the best studying strategy. And again, just be friendly and ask a lot of people. If 10 ppl tell you the same thing about an exam, then chances are it's accurate so you should adjust your studying accordingly.

So it's not that upperclassmen have the magical answer to how to study and do well, they can just provide info on how you will be tested, so you can tailor your studying accordingly.

edit: congrats Arbiter, nice to see that douches leaving frees up spots for more deserving people
:cry:

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:00 pm

PinkCow wrote:
clone22 wrote:

aww pink cow, you know that wasn't directed at you. Enjoy HLS with ajax though :)

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:23 pm

clone22 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
clone22 wrote:

aww pink cow, you know that wasn't directed at you. Enjoy HLS with ajax though :)
Yah we're gonna miss you buddy. I hope you enjoyed the summer the one year in history where you went was cooler than most of the US. ;)

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:55 pm

You can also join clubs so you can meet a bunch of friendly people and get access to outline banks. There should be a fair at the beginning of the year showcasing all of the clubs, so you'll get a chance to see what they're all about. Also, just so you know, all of the clubs are very inclusive, even clubs like LALSA (Latino American Law Students Association) and BLSA (Black Law Students Association) have members who are not URMs. Just saying, in case you're not a URM, everyone is welcome. It seemed like last year some people missed out on LALSA's and BLSA's outline banks, academic review sessions, LALSA's awesome job search bootcamp, exam-time goody bags, etc. because they thought that those clubs are only for URMs.

And here's my shameless plug for LALSA. All 1Ls should join. 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:57 am

I had no idea non URM's could join URM clubs. I mean I figured they couldn't discriminate but that it was probably frowned upon. In fact I swear I heard some people frowning upon it at some point. Anyways thats pretty cool, would it be weird if I started showing up as a 2L?

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:10 pm

FlanAl wrote:I had no idea non URM's could join URM clubs. I mean I figured they couldn't discriminate but that it was probably frowned upon. In fact I swear I heard some people frowning upon it at some point. Anyways thats pretty cool, would it be weird if I started showing up as a 2L?
If you join all of the clubs for the outline banks and review sessions, it's going to be frowned upon.

But if you join clubs because you want to expand your horizons and get a better understanding of life as a URM, I would think that would be encouraged.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 pm

KingRajesh wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I had no idea non URM's could join URM clubs. I mean I figured they couldn't discriminate but that it was probably frowned upon. In fact I swear I heard some people frowning upon it at some point. Anyways thats pretty cool, would it be weird if I started showing up as a 2L?
If you join all of the clubs for the outline banks and review sessions, it's going to be frowned upon.

But if you join clubs because you want to expand your horizons and get a better understanding of life as a URM, I would think that would be encouraged.
What if I just want access to the delicious, delicious foodstuffs?

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 pm

God's chosen and whites are all welcome in LALSA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Ikki wrote:God's chosen and whites are all welcome in LALSA.
There are plenty of Latin Jews! A big chunk of my family is Argentine.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Ikki wrote:God's chosen and whites are all welcome in LALSA.
There are plenty of Latin Jews! A big chunk of my family is Argentine.
Well then there you go! :lol:

Although I already knew that. Some of the more prominent people in Mexico are Jewish.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:

You can have foodstuffs if you donate to the outline bank.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
KingRajesh wrote:

You can have foodstuffs if you donate to the outline bank.
But isn't it polluting the racial purity of the banks then? :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Good luck at AJF 2Ls!

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully Ill get to meet and pester yall in person. Jews Unite! Form of: slightly less neurotic minority.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:15 pm

morally0bese wrote:Thanks for the tips. Hopefully Ill get to meet and pester yall in person. Jews Unite! Form of: slightly less neurotic minority.
Less neurotic than what? The OCD ward of the mental hospital?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
morally0bese wrote:Thanks for the tips. Hopefully Ill get to meet and pester yall in person. Jews Unite! Form of: slightly less neurotic minority.
Less neurotic than what? The OCD ward of the mental hospital?
Just figured out how you got your avatar... read the cartoon on collegehumor http://urlybits.com/2011/01/why-does-mi ... ar-gloves/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”