Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks guys! Ya'll are awesome (and much more helpful than the admissions committee that takes ages to answer any questions).

My grandfather told me he would be willing to contribute 20k to my legal education on the condition that I get into a journal. :lol: So this just became all the more necessary. Looks like odds are good so I'm going to stay optimistic about that.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Thanks guys! Ya'll are awesome (and much more helpful than the admissions committee that takes ages to answer any questions).

My grandfather told me he would be willing to contribute 20k to my legal education on the condition that I get into a journal. :lol: So this just became all the more necessary. Looks like odds are good so I'm going to stay optimistic about that.
You're a 0L? Don't worry about it just yet. Just do your best in 1L and then take the writing competition seriously. Unsurprisingly, people who do well in one tend to do well on the other.

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:27 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote: My grandfather told me he would be willing to contribute 20k to my legal education on the condition that I get into a journal.
Well that sounds like a bullshit contracts/property hypo. You'll know what I mean next year. Good luck.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Look almost exclusively at the GPAs where available. Think about it- would you rather navigate by being told "warmer" and "colder", or with gps coordinates?

would you say that the GPAs were right with the current grade inflation. Moderate at 3.35 makes a lot of sense in past years when that was the median. However, now it might make more sense that a firm is moderate at a 3.5 or so. There are several firms that are in the moderate range with like a 3.4. Just wondering if I should perceive this as a 3.5 and do an implicit gpa bump when bidding or look at the GPA and base solely on that. Arbiter you seem to know a lot about bidding as well as other things I'd appreciate any insite if you see this. I hope how I put it makes sense.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Look almost exclusively at the GPAs where available. Think about it- would you rather navigate by being told "warmer" and "colder", or with gps coordinates?

would you say that the GPAs were right with the current grade inflation. Moderate at 3.35 makes a lot of sense in past years when that was the median. However, now it might make more sense that a firm is moderate at a 3.5 or so. There are several firms that are in the moderate range with like a 3.4. Just wondering if I should perceive this as a 3.5 and do an implicit gpa bump when bidding or look at the GPA and base solely on that. Arbiter you seem to know a lot about bidding as well as other things I'd appreciate any insite if you see this. I hope how I put it makes sense.
Like I said, focus almost exclusively on the the actual GPA data.

To the extent the three categories are important:

Very Grades Oriented = elite firms, best have top GPA, will not bend too far out (though obviously even they will, but assume thats for a URM)
Moderately Grades Oriented = They care about GPA, but it doesn't need to be super high
Flexible = We don't care about GPA really, as long as its above a 3.0

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC450

New

Post by NYC450 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am

Does anyone have the top 10 and 30 percent numbers for spring semester for 1ls?

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:00 am

Would also like to know this. Also, curious about the median (some saying its 3.42/others 3/5).

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:25 pm

No, because those numbers haven't come out yet. Has Rachlinski finally submitted his fucking grades, at least, so the cutoffs can be calculated (and god knows why that's holding up the 2L ones).

ETA: You can call to see if they have them and have posted yet, maybe they'll tell you.

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Just called. Some serious bs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buffalobill52086

New

Post by buffalobill52086 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:35 pm

What BS did they give you? I emailed and asked and was told that they are "uncertain" at this point when the Rach grades will be submitted.

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Basically said the same thing. Its just BS that I have bid advising scheduled for early next week and while I can ballpark some ranges with the grades I have, Id like to have a full picture before the appointment

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:26 pm

welp thats one thing I can thank hillman for I guess

E: Do tell me if my eyes are getting too big for my stomach here, but what kind of grades does it take to get a federal district clerkship out of Cornell?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Rachlinski is killing me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:04 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:welp thats one thing I can thank hillman for I guess

E: Do tell me if my eyes are getting too big for my stomach here, but what kind of grades does it take to get a federal district clerkship out of Cornell?
It depends A LOT. Generally, you'll want to be top 1/3 to have a shot, and even then SDNY is likely out. But journal membership (LR or not?), sr board membership on those journals, publications, recommendations, etc., all matter. PM me for details regarding c/o 2013.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Lincoln wrote:
LFH_intheflesh wrote:welp thats one thing I can thank hillman for I guess

It depends A LOT. Generally, you'll want to be top 1/3 to have a shot, and even then SDNY is likely out. But journal membership (LR or not?), sr board membership on those journals, publications, recommendations, etc., all matter. PM me for details regarding c/o 2013.
Yah grades is only a SMALL portion of it. PM me for more details from 2014. But there's a lot more than "merit," traditionally rendered, that goes into getting a clerkship.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Any updates re: Rac?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:10 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Any updates re: Rac?
Well 2L dean's list has been calculated, which means they must have calculated all the 2L grades. I assume you've been checking your own grades re: Rachcity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Well 2L dean's list has been calculated, which means they must have calculated all the 2L grades. I assume you've been checking your own grades re: Rachcity.
Any idea what it was?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Any idea what it was?
Below my GPA. Otherwise no clue.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm

On the 2015 Facebook page it seems like someone called and got a response along the lines of Rachlinski being out of contact for an uncertain amount of time due to being in Cancun

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:30 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
On the 2015 Facebook page it seems like someone called and got a response along the lines of Rachlinski being out of contact for an uncertain amount of time due to being in Cancun
So what does that mean?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Lol that was def a joke.

What I've been told by people who had Rach was that he made some mistake on the exam... like one of the questions as a result referred to the wrong party and it made no sense. One friend who had him told me he and others figured out the mistake, and another friend said he suspected there was a mistake but tried to answer the question as written.

If thats true, its probably what is holding up the grading.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:21 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Lol that was def a joke.

What I've been told by people who had Rach was that he made some mistake on the exam... like one of the questions as a result referred to the wrong party and it made no sense. One friend who had him told me he and others figured out the mistake, and another friend said he suspected there was a mistake but tried to answer the question as written.

If thats true, its probably what is holding up the grading.
Question 11 was def a mistake in my opinion. I remember writing on the exam " for the purposes of my analysis I am assuming you meant Paul"...if that was the case it set up a third party beneficiary question I believe. The way it was written made no sense at all. How would a Prof go about fixing this? throwing it out altogether? Or give points based on how people grappled with it?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:24 pm

I think the most fair way would probably be to throw out the question and grade it out of 44 instead of 48.
Some answered for the party as written, some for as it should be written and some for both. It doesn't seem fair to penalize people that guessed what he meant wrong.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Looks like the real problem may be something close to a death in the family

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”