Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Clamence
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Clamence » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:10 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Pick whatever elective has the best curve has been my go to advice. Whether you take BizOrgs or Evidence will depend on who teaches because that impacts the curve of the class and your probabilities for falling on the right side of it


cantexplaingottago wrote:it's really dependent on who's teaching it


Thanks for the advice all. Evidence is with Weyble and Business Organizations is with Rachlinski if that makes a difference.

User avatar
Strangeland
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Strangeland » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Has anyone had experience with Szabla (Public International Law) or Kallaugher (Comparative Antitrust Law)? Don't know if they've taught before.
Also curious whether BizOrgs with Rachlinski is a good idea.

User avatar
hopefuljumbo23
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Rachlinski is an incredibly engaging professor, but has ridiculously hard exams. I don't recommend, especially as a 1L. You'll be with 2Ls and 3Ls who have CHOSEN to take a Friday class. Think about that.

stuffs
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby stuffs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 pm

What is the best way to study for Hillman's multiple choice? Would getting an E&E be useful? Looking at MBE MC questions?

Thanks!

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:36 am

stuffs wrote:What is the best way to study for Hillman's multiple choice? Would getting an E&E be useful? Looking at MBE MC questions?

Thanks!

In my experience, outside supplements are of little value in that class. At least, I never used any, and I got an A+. Just know everything covered in the casebook and hornbook backwards and forwards. Outline them, tab them, whatever helps.

stuffs
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby stuffs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Lavitz wrote:
stuffs wrote:What is the best way to study for Hillman's multiple choice? Would getting an E&E be useful? Looking at MBE MC questions?

Thanks!

In my experience, outside supplements are of little value in that class. At least, I never used any, and I got an A+. Just know everything covered in the casebook and hornbook backwards and forwards. Outline them, tab them, whatever helps.


Great - thanks, Lavitz!

User avatar
OakBrook2021
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby OakBrook2021 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:37 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?


I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Lincoln wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?


I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.

Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?


I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.

Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.


I agree. But, for example, WLRK has one associate who is a Cornell Law grad and 14 Columbia Law grads, so there's at least a material difference if you absolutely have to work there.

Less of a difference for CSM, S&C, DPW etc.

Edited to avoid the appearance that I work at WLRK; I am not the lone Cornell associate.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?


I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.

Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.


I agree. But, for example, WLRK has one associate who is a Cornell Law grad and 14 Columbia Law grads, so there's at least a material difference if you absolutely have to work there.

Less of a difference for CSM, S&C, DPW etc.

Edited to avoid the appearance that I work at WLRK; I am not the lone Cornell associate.

Yeah, WLRK is the one that's closest to being "impossible," but even they have made offers recently; people have just not accepted. And wanted to make sure it was clear that it's definitely not impossible to get any of the other firms mentioned.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?


I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.

Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.


I agree. But, for example, WLRK has one associate who is a Cornell Law grad and 14 Columbia Law grads, so there's at least a material difference if you absolutely have to work there.

Less of a difference for CSM, S&C, DPW etc.

Edited to avoid the appearance that I work at WLRK; I am not the lone Cornell associate.

Yeah, WLRK is the one that's closest to being "impossible," but even they have made offers recently; people have just not accepted. And wanted to make sure it was clear that it's definitely not impossible to get any of the other firms mentioned.


Back in my day, some boutiques were essentially impossible to get from Cornell. Has that changed? I know Kellogg Hansen is about half-Cornell now but, other than that oddity, what about places like Susman, Keker, etc.?

User avatar
OakBrook2021
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby OakBrook2021 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Lavitz wrote:Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.


Thanks for the info. Just assumed WLRK was not a possibility since they don't do OCI at Cornell (not like I'm expecting to even be considered for WLRK regardless of where I go). Only reason I even care about firm "prestige" is because I'm interested in lateraling to USAO/SEC after a few years and figure that'll help my chances
Last edited by OakBrook2021 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?


I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.

Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.


I agree. But, for example, WLRK has one associate who is a Cornell Law grad and 14 Columbia Law grads, so there's at least a material difference if you absolutely have to work there.

Less of a difference for CSM, S&C, DPW etc.

Edited to avoid the appearance that I work at WLRK; I am not the lone Cornell associate.

Yeah, WLRK is the one that's closest to being "impossible," but even they have made offers recently; people have just not accepted. And wanted to make sure it was clear that it's definitely not impossible to get any of the other firms mentioned.


Back in my day, some boutiques were essentially impossible to get from Cornell. Has that changed? I know Kellogg Hansen is about half-Cornell now but, other than that oddity, what about places like Susman, Keker, etc.?

Afaik, Susman still doesn't have a Cornell grad besides a partner in the Seattle office. But they just had their reception tonight, and I came away from it with the impression that they would be open to hiring any of us Cornell people. Of course, a big obstacle with the lit boutique hiring is getting the prestigious clerkships that serve as a de facto prerequisite. Most of the Susman NY associates have 2d Cir./SDNY. As you noted, getting prestigious clerkships from Cornell was pretty difficult, but it's been getting better, and there were about 7 of us at the reception. At the very least, I'm confident that certain Cornell grads in my class could get hired at Susman if they applied.

Keker is trickier to say, because now you need a top Cornell grad with prestigious clerkships who wants to work in SF. Honestly don't know anyone who fits that criteria. I know I'm not going to bother applying.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Lavitz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.


Thanks for the info. Just assumed WLRK was not a possibility since they don't do OCI at Cornell (not like I'm expecting to even be considered for WLRK regardless of where I go). Only reason I even care about firm "prestige" is because I'm interested in lateraling to USAO/SEC after a few years and figure that'll help my chances

Starting with class of 2017, they've been doing a resume collect thing. You'd have to be top 5% or so to have a chance, but other firms good for USAO/SEC will be much easier.

User avatar
cantexplaingottago
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby cantexplaingottago » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am

Posting here because this thread is active.

Can any 3Ls/JDs describe what to expect on Omarova's Corporate Finance exam? She doesn't distribute old exams and I'm really not sure what it is I'm supposed to be learning in this class.

Gunner19
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Gunner19 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:Posting here because this thread is active.

Can any 3Ls/JDs describe what to expect on Omarova's Corporate Finance exam? She doesn't distribute old exams and I'm really not sure what it is I'm supposed to be learning in this class.


Also interested in this.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby runinthefront » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Is there any tangible difference in NY placement between Cornell and NYU/Columbia? The numbers seem pretty similar; is it just marginally harder/impossible to get into some of the more "prestigious" firms (i.e. WLRK, S&C, CSM, DPW etc.)?


I'd say this is pretty accurate. There are also some weird differences where some firms just hire more people from certain schools, regardless of rank/prestige. Some prestigious clerkships are also harder to come by, although Cornell is getting better on the clerkship front.

Would just add that it's not "impossible" to get any firm from Cornell.


I agree. But, for example, WLRK has one associate who is a Cornell Law grad and 14 Columbia Law grads, so there's at least a material difference if you absolutely have to work there.

Less of a difference for CSM, S&C, DPW etc.

Edited to avoid the appearance that I work at WLRK; I am not the lone Cornell associate.

Yeah, WLRK is the one that's closest to being "impossible," but even they have made offers recently; people have just not accepted. And wanted to make sure it was clear that it's definitely not impossible to get any of the other firms mentioned.


Back in my day, some boutiques were essentially impossible to get from Cornell. Has that changed? I know Kellogg Hansen is about half-Cornell now but, other than that oddity, what about places like Susman, Keker, etc.?

Susman has interviewed cornellians every year since at least the c/o 2017 and should have a cornellian in their office this summer. WLRK has offered at least one cornellian every year since at least the class of 2015 (idk anything earlier than that), and there should be at least one starting this year as a first year and some more summering this summer. And of course, Kellogg has taken several post-clerkship cornellians over the past year.

I dont think any firm is out of reach for a cornellian near the top of the class.

But I do think that boutiques are generally more stingy and will hire more students from the top 6 schools than let’s say Cornell. I wouldn’t make a school decision based on the hiring decisions from partners at WLRK or SG, tho. The odds of landing a job there are very small from any school

actuator
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby actuator » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:11 pm

anyone know anything about complex litigation with cavanagh? or about cavanagh generally? thinking of taking it next semester.

User avatar
Clamence
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby Clamence » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

actuator wrote:anyone know anything about complex litigation with cavanagh? or about cavanagh generally? thinking of taking it next semester.


I'm taking Civil Procedure with Cavanagh this semester. He's become a favorite among the 1Ls this year. At first a lot of people didn't like him because he yells a lot and can seem like a hardass, but it's really just his way of showing excitement. After a while you realize his yelling is more amusing than anything else. He's actually an exceptionally friendly and engaging professor. I highly recommend taking a class with him.

CLS2L
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Postby CLS2L » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Looking for an outline for Corporate Finance with Omarova. Can anyone help me out?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests