Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn6542

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by kn6542 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Also, do any Cornellians know when spring semester grades generally come out?
Grades are due June 1st. Someone probably knows the precise date they are meant to be posted, but I'm guessing it's several weeks after June 1st.

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Also, do any Cornellians know when spring semester grades generally come out?
It might be weird that I know this, but I just read on the registrar's site:

Continuing students - Spring term grades are expected to be
online on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at Student Center.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu May 20, 2010 11:30 am

sjsteece wrote:
It might be weird that I know this, but I just read on the registrar's site:

Continuing students - Spring term grades are expected to be
online on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at Student Center.
Hah, thanks, they just posted that. I checked the registrar's site right before I posted my question so I wouldn't look like an idiot, and it was entirely blank except for the spring term and exam schedules.

sjsteece

Bronze

Post by sjsteece » Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 am

So, what did you all think of your second semester professors/classes?

MadHatress

New

Post by MadHatress » Thu May 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Thankya, thankya, thankya :) For the fast, insightful replies. Im glad I found this site :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu May 20, 2010 12:41 pm

sjsteece wrote:So, what did you all think of your second semester professors/classes?
I did not like them together as a whole as much as my first semester professors/classes. This is probably because first semester I had a pretty stellar line-up of bad ass people who were using textbooks they co-wrote, so they knew the material backward and forward and were well-respected enough in their fields that they didn't need to prove anything to anyone. This kinda spoiled me. Second semester I had a lineup of brilliant professors who were just not quite as comfortable because they hadn't been teaching for quite as long. If I had had my second semester professors first I probably would have thought they were phenomenal and been super impressed, but compared to the giants I'd had the semester before, a few of them just seemed a bit disappointing.

However, my professor for Civ Pro second semester was the best teacher (note I say teacher and not exam-writer) I think I've ever had. So it can be a mixed bag.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Thu May 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
KMaine, are you who I think you are? Did you sit between me and another Mainer (Mainian? Mainite?) in Crim and Civ Pro this semester?
Yup, it's him ;)

And we're Mainiacs, of course...

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu May 20, 2010 6:50 pm

I am who you thought I be. Also, concur on your evaluation of Profs. All very credited.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Thu May 20, 2010 6:57 pm

sjsteece wrote:So, what did you all think of your second semester professors/classes?
I shared three of the same classes as O25BY this semester, but only one last semester, so I can't say I saw that great of a disparity... Some of my profs were new to teaching, and while clearly brilliant, will need some time to grow into their professional skins. I too thought our CivPro prof was amazing (much better, IMO, than last semester's), but my favorite prof was our property professor, who we snatched from Duke a year ago (although you can't go wrong at Cornell with any of the three property headliners (Penalver, Underkuffler or Alexander) as they're all considered superstars in the field.) Even Dean Schwab is a property guru, having penned one of the best-known critiques of Calabresi's Cathedral article (note, many of Cornell's faculty, particularly in property and contracts, are not fans of the law and economics school, so don't wave your signed Epstein and Posner monographs too prominently ;).)
Last edited by mbw on Thu May 20, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu May 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Oh, yeah. Our Property professor was pretty amazing and of the same quality as my first semester instructors, not a textbook writers, but has published some great stuff and a very strong classroom teacher. OK MBW already said this. We had all of the same profs last semester, and I liked the CivPro professor last semester. Agreed this semester's was better, but not much better IMO.

ninjagirl

New

Post by ninjagirl » Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 pm

For people who do programs like the Paris Summer Institute, what do you do for the rest of the summer? It looks like these summer programs are schedule mid-June to late July, which doesn't leave enough room on either end to do something else.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu May 20, 2010 9:58 pm

How many of your classmates have committed suicide?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:How many of your classmates have committed suicide?
Child

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu May 20, 2010 10:54 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:How many of your classmates have committed suicide?
None.
KMaine wrote:I am who you thought I be. Also, concur on your evaluation of Profs. All very credited.
HI!
mbw wrote:
I shared three of the same classes as O25BY this semester, but only one last semester, so I can't say I saw that great of a disparity... Some of my profs were new to teaching, and while clearly brilliant, will need some time to grow into their professional skins. I too thought our CivPro prof was amazing (much better, IMO, than last semester's), but my favorite prof was our property professor, who we snatched from Duke a year ago (although you can't go wrong at Cornell with any of the three property headliners (Penalver, Underkuffler or Alexander) as they're all considered superstars in the field.) Even Dean Schwab is a property guru, having penned one of the best-known critiques of Calabresi's Cathedral article (note, many of Cornell's faculty, particularly in property and contracts, are not fans of the law and economics school, so don't wave your signed Epstein and Posner monographs too prominently ;).)
As you are aware (and by you I mean MBW, KMaine and sjsteece), I wholly disagree on said property professor. However, it's worth noting that my dislike of this professor is ABSOLUTELY the minority position. I am one of two people I know out of probably 40 I've talked to who dislike her. Also, I was talking to Dean Schwab about it (not complaining about her, he just asked point blank what I thought) and he pretty clearly thinks I'm bonkers for disliking her teaching style.

I completely agree that she's brilliant and hilarious - her class and teaching method just didn't really work for how I think.

night06

New

Post by night06 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:26 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

Does anyone know anything about the full-term externship program? What kinds of positions do people get, what cities do they typically go to, etc...

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat May 22, 2010 1:47 am

ninjagirl wrote:For people who do programs like the Paris Summer Institute, what do you do for the rest of the summer? It looks like these summer programs are schedule mid-June to late July, which doesn't leave enough room on either end to do something else.
i'm doing the program. some of my classmates are working/volunteering for about 3-4 weeks before (there isn't enough time to work after)
but most are not doing anything else. it's a really strong program and is generally sufficient to put on your resume as all you did that summer.. so, you don't *have* to do anything else.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat May 22, 2010 1:49 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote: As you are aware (and by you I mean MBW, KMaine and sjsteece), I wholly disagree on said property professor. However, it's worth noting that my dislike of this professor is ABSOLUTELY the minority position. I am one of two people I know out of probably 40 I've talked to who dislike her. Also, I was talking to Dean Schwab about it (not complaining about her, he just asked point blank what I thought) and he pretty clearly thinks I'm bonkers for disliking her teaching style.

I completely agree that she's brilliant and hilarious - her class and teaching method just didn't really work for how I think.
i just didn't like how unorganized it was. this was especially a problem when i wanted to try outlining the course. but she is awesome..

and when do you have random conversations with Dean Schwab? I need to get my networking on..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat May 22, 2010 1:51 am

MadHatress wrote:Thanks for the reply, really good to know :D I was expecting the assumed political views, but I think on a different scale. How do Muslim students that dont drink fare socially?
Also, while on the subject of political views, whats the tolerance level regarding unfavorable views of Israel?
I know thats a touchy subject, but some campuses are on board with the BDS campaign etc whilst others (ex: BU) order public floggings for negative comment re Israeli policy. Some straight up info on that would seriously be appreciated.

*This isn't a flame, I worded the question as unprovocatively (sp?) as possible. Still, sorry for any outrage it might cause.

Thanks again :) This thread is being very helpful.
With regard to Muslim students that don't drink, I personally know many who don't and who celebrate Islamic holidays during the year as well. Some students have even started a Muslim Law Student Society. (if you're interested in details, including about your other questions, pm me.. :) )

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sat May 22, 2010 2:30 am

KMaine wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Any 1L's have Chantal Thomas as their K's prof this semester? I'd be interested in how this is being perceived:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/cornell- ... vagueness/
Can't really speak for anybody else, but I really didn't think it was a very big deal, and I think that Dean Garvey's decision pretty much made things right.

Don't really know what motivated the "tipster" other than the fact that Prof was not a favorite among students. IMO not a smart move to make your school look bad 2 months before OCI.
for the record, i'd like to pipe up, briefly, for the opposition viewpoint. how the administration's decision made anything "right"--from the pedagogy in that class throughout the semester (the quality of which i can most gently describe as 'less than stellar') to the e-mail the administration sent out detailing their decision (which seemed to turn a blind-eye to the logical inconsistencies of the solution, and which in general was just generally and comically tone-deaf)--is beyond me. I think catching some blow-back for what I consider a useless Contracts class this semester generally, and an utter bungling of one of the most important things in my life right now (our exams) specifically, as well as taking some heat for their anticipatory dismissal of anyone who wished to express their concerns/viewpoint to the administration--I think that, in the long run, any of this flak they are catching now will pay dividends in better teaching and administration down the road, and as such is actually helping the school, not being a hindrance to it.

also, for the record, my feelings as just expressed above about this contracts class are not representative of my feelings about my classes and the professors here generally. For the most part, I've had some great profs in the first two semesters (one of which was the Dean Garvey mentioned in the ATL post). penalver is the man, and my 1st semester Ks prof--Hillman--was fantastic, as were both my CivPro professors (Rossi and Clermont, who are both heavy-hitters in the civpro field).

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat May 22, 2010 9:41 am

panda wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote: As you are aware (and by you I mean MBW, KMaine and sjsteece), I wholly disagree on said property professor. However, it's worth noting that my dislike of this professor is ABSOLUTELY the minority position. I am one of two people I know out of probably 40 I've talked to who dislike her. Also, I was talking to Dean Schwab about it (not complaining about her, he just asked point blank what I thought) and he pretty clearly thinks I'm bonkers for disliking her teaching style.

i just didn't like how unorganized it was. this was especially a problem when i wanted to try outlining the course. but she is awesome..

and when do you have random conversations with Dean Schwab? I need to get my networking on..
I was at the last Weekly Perk talking to some folks and he came up to our group and stood in the middle of us until we talked to him. It was kind of adorable, actually.

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Sat May 22, 2010 12:36 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
KMaine wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Any 1L's have Chantal Thomas as their K's prof this semester? I'd be interested in how this is being perceived:

Can't really speak for anybody else, but I really didn't think it was a very big deal, and I think that Dean Garvey's decision pretty much made things right.

Don't really know what motivated the "tipster" other than the fact that Prof was not a favorite among students. IMO not a smart move to make your school look bad 2 months before OCI.
for the record, i'd like to pipe up, briefly, for the opposition viewpoint. how the administration's decision made anything "right"--from the pedagogy in that class throughout the semester (the quality of which i can most gently describe as 'less than stellar') to the e-mail the administration sent out detailing their decision (which seemed to turn a blind-eye to the logical inconsistencies of the solution, and which in general was just generally and comically tone-deaf)--is beyond me. I think catching some blow-back for what I consider a useless Contracts class this semester generally, and an utter bungling of one of the most important things in my life right now (our exams) specifically, as well as taking some heat for their anticipatory dismissal of anyone who wished to express their concerns/viewpoint to the administration--I think that, in the long run, any of this flak they are catching now will pay dividends in better teaching and administration down the road, and as such is actually helping the school, not being a hindrance to it.

also, for the record, my feelings as just expressed above about this contracts class are not representative of my feelings about my classes and the professors here generally. For the most part, I've had some great profs in the first two semesters (one of which was the Dean Garvey mentioned in the ATL post). penalver is the man, and my 1st semester Ks prof--Hillman--was fantastic, as were both my CivPro professors (Rossi and Clermont, who are both heavy-hitters in the civpro field).
This response receives no credit because it speaks positively of Penalver. Worst professor I've had at Cornell, bar none.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sat May 22, 2010 1:04 pm

fsohn wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
KMaine wrote:

This response receives no credit because it speaks positively of Penalver. Worst professor I've had at Cornell, bar none.
i can see why some folks wouldn't like his teaching style. but he clearly possesses one hell of an intellect, and i like that he tacks theoretical with the material and his approach. i also like his sarcastic personality. definitely see how he can be a love-him or hate-him type character though (kind of like Clermont, IMO).

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sat May 22, 2010 1:57 pm

What about semester study abroad - how prevalent is that? I'm especially interested in the programs in Cape Town and Germany.

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sat May 22, 2010 2:02 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote: lots of fancy talk
how was the brownie a la mode? :mrgreen:

ninjagirl

New

Post by ninjagirl » Sat May 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Any bicyclists among the current Cornellians? I'm trying to get more information about East Hill Recreation Way. Is the path from Honness Lane bikable during the winter (do they clear the snow like I've heard they do for the main roads), and how flat/hilly is it? On GoogleMaps terrain it appears relatively flat until you get close to Maple Ave.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”