Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:52 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Law school is quite a great place.
Yeah, working really makes me miss law school. Shit was really easy in comparison.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:33 am

Can anyone offer advice on the New York AG's Office Clinic? is it worth doing?

DownUnder

New

Post by DownUnder » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Can anyone offer advice on the New York AG's Office Clinic? is it worth doing?
Also interested

Veronica2015

New

Post by Veronica2015 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:12 pm

How is Professor Odette Lienau for Public International Law? She is visiting HLS this year. Any input is appreciated!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:07 pm

Veronica2015 wrote:How is Professor Odette Lienau for Public International Law? She is visiting HLS this year. Any input is appreciated!
I don't think she's ever taught Public International Law here. She usually teaches: Bankruptcy; Markets, Democracy, and the Rule of Law; and a 1-credit International Relations Colloquium. But she's very nice and I would take her if she taught anything I was interested in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:52 am

Does anyone have advice for preparing for Hockett's bizorgs exam?

Thus far I have been looking at his class notes, old outlines, and such, but his practice exam is pretty heavy on theory/policy/just way out there in general. Any other sources that would help with a week to go?

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:52 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Does anyone have advice for preparing for Hockett's bizorgs exam?

Thus far I have been looking at his class notes, old outlines, and such, but his practice exam is pretty heavy on theory/policy/just way out there in general. Any other sources that would help with a week to go?
Bump

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:07 am

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:Does anyone have advice for preparing for Hockett's bizorgs exam?

Bump
We're screwed...

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:02 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:

Bump
We're screwed...
bump for the love of god

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:42 pm

mt2165 wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:

Bump
We're screwed...
bump for the love of god
in b4 someone says lawl it's not a whitehead exam

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:56 pm

lawl it's not a whitehead exam

xz01

Bronze

Post by xz01 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Honestly, how hard is it to get NYC biglaw from Cornell?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Egzon wrote:Honestly, how hard is it to get NYC biglaw from Cornell?
I know of at least two or three people who struck out at AJF, and I also have close friends with < 3.2s (probably bottom quarter) who left AJF with 7+ callbacks.

Absent poor-bidding, poor interviewing, and/or poor grades (usually two out of three), I don't think it's hard at all relative to the other T14s. Big law isn't guaranteed at any school, but I'd reckon the odds of landing BL from Cornell is probably as good or better than all but 4-5 schools.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xz01

Bronze

Post by xz01 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:11 pm

runinthefront wrote:
I know of at least two or three people who struck out at AJF, and I also have close friends with < 3.2s (probably bottom quarter) who left AJF with 7+ callbacks.

Absent poor-bidding, poor interviewing, and/or poor grades (usually two out of three), I don't think it's hard at all relative to the other T14s. Big law isn't guaranteed at any school, but I'd reckon the odds of landing BL from Cornell is probably as good or better than all but 4-5 schools.
I'm 0L but Cornell is my goal but I'm a little scared about biglaw opportunities especially since I'm an international student. What do you think a 168/4.0 would get at Cornell?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Egzon wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

I'm 0L but Cornell is my goal but I'm a little scared about biglaw opportunities especially since I'm an international student. What do you think a 168/4.0 would get at Cornell?
I don't understand your question; you'd have to ascertain your chances of admission+ financial aid using mylsn.info.

If you're referring to what you may get re: law law school GPA, that's even more speculative. Your LSAT/undergrad GPA is a very poor indicator (albeit the best one available) of law school performance.

I don't know if your question can be construed in any other ways but yeah hope this answer helped
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

xz01

Bronze

Post by xz01 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant scholarship wise: what are my chances of getting a full ride at Cornell with those numbers?

I wouldn't want to take on loans for only a small chance at biglaw.

But thanks for answering!

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Egzon wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant scholarship wise: what are my chances of getting a full ride at Cornell with those numbers?

You should receive decent scholarship money since you are above both medians. Also, small chance at biglaw???? Dude, have you looked at our biglaw stats? Right now, biglaw is the MOST likely outcome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xz01

Bronze

Post by xz01 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Trippel wrote:
Egzon wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant scholarship wise: what are my chances of getting a full ride at Cornell with those numbers?

You should receive decent scholarship money since you are above both medians. Also, small chance at biglaw???? Dude, have you looked at our biglaw stats? Right now, biglaw is the MOST likely outcome.
That's why I asked. I checked law school transparency and it seemed like more than half of the students got biglaw but I wanted to see what actual students expected/felt.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:35 pm

Egzon wrote:That's why I asked. I checked law school transparency and it seemed like more than half of the students got biglaw but I wanted to see what actual students expected/felt.
Because our numbers are too good to be true?

It's true. All of it.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:34 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Egzon wrote:That's why I asked. I checked law school transparency and it seemed like more than half of the students got biglaw but I wanted to see what actual students expected/felt.

It's true. All of it.
Nice star wars reference. Very impressed.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

It's true. All of it.
Nice star wars reference. Very impressed.
perfect 5/7

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xz01

Bronze

Post by xz01 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Thanks for your answers! I had one more: not to sound like a prestige whore, but do you feel like Cornell places less at V10?

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:46 pm

Egzon wrote:Thanks for your answers! I had one more: not to sound like a prestige whore, but do you feel like Cornell places less at V10?
lol. no.

xz01

Bronze

Post by xz01 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:17 pm

bombaysippin wrote:
Egzon wrote:Thanks for your answers! I had one more: not to sound like a prestige whore, but do you feel like Cornell places less at V10?
lol. no.
I've been looking at the firms' websites and it seems as if there are less Cornell grads than say Columbia or NYU at V10.

xz01

Bronze

Post by xz01 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:19 pm

bombaysippin wrote:
lol. no.
I've been looking at the firms' websites and it seems as if there are less Cornell grads than say Columbia or NYU at V10.

I know that Cornell is a lot smaller than these schools but it seems as if the cutoff is lower for T6 than for Cornell.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”