Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
koalatriste

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by koalatriste » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:35 pm

koalas love the cold.

Juff

New

Post by Juff » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:47 pm

koalatriste wrote:koalas love the cold.
I know for a fact that this statement is false.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Juff wrote:Tip to prospective students- when considering law schools, the weather should be an incredibly insignificant consideration. I've seen more posts about the weather in Ithaca than, say, the actual quality of the school, and it really baffles me.

Employment prospects > how cold you'll be walking back from the gym.

Too true. I also think it's funny how much the lack of shopping access is discussed as a super negative. I just got back from Ithaca mall and Ithaca downtown - haven't lived with that much shopping in 4 years...

Then again I do live truly in the middle of nowhere...

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Juff wrote:
koalatriste wrote:koalas love the cold.
I know for a fact that this statement is false.
cold koala:

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Did any of you submit an additional written request for aid that goes into detail beyond what they actually require?

Like detailing the other offers and try to get scholarship money that way?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:40 pm

KingRajesh wrote:Did any of you submit an additional written request for aid that goes into detail beyond what they actually require?

Like detailing the other offers and try to get scholarship money that way?
I think it's a general practice to send your other scholarship offers to the school of your choice for their consideration along with a letter telling the school how much you want to attend but... ect.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:50 pm

My question: What's a fun thing to do in Ithaca on a Saturday when the school is on spring break? I'm visiting this weekend and staying the weekend, but don't have much to do other than on Friday (when I'm doing the obvious stuff).

Juff

New

Post by Juff » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:My question: What's a fun thing to do in Ithaca on a Saturday when the school is on spring break? I'm visiting this weekend and staying the weekend, but don't have much to do other than on Friday (when I'm doing the obvious stuff).
I can't be of much help, but you have my deepest sympathies.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Juff wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:My question: What's a fun thing to do in Ithaca on a Saturday when the school is on spring break? I'm visiting this weekend and staying the weekend, but don't have much to do other than on Friday (when I'm doing the obvious stuff).
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Juff wrote:
Thanks- I'll be visiting family and checking apartments, but I figure it can't be worse than my trip to LA (when it was 50 degrees and raining (the streets flooded and no one went out)).

I figure its auspicious the moon is in perigee and full the night I get there.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Juff wrote:
Thanks- I'll be visiting family and checking apartments, but I figure it can't be worse than my trip to LA (when it was 50 degrees and raining (the streets flooded and no one went out)).

I'd kill for 50 degrees

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:37 pm

mths wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Juff wrote:

I'd kill for 50 degrees
Wednesday.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:50 pm

mths wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Juff wrote:

I'd kill for 50 degrees
Oh come on- I'm coming from Chicago and while I'd love for it to finally stop dipping below freezing at night, These nice 40 degree days seem downright balmy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

I've grown up in a small ski town in Utah (Park City). I'd love nothing better than to get accepted to Cornell and live in Ithaca for 3 years. I guess it's because I grew up with it, but I would hate living somewhere that wasn't cold as frozen hell...I'm also a small town person and am yearning for a rigorous academic environment.

Hm. None of that was a question.

Okay, I've got one. Anyone on here in the 3 year J.D./MBA program? Interested, but how difficult is it compared to a normal JD program?

Juff

New

Post by Juff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:51 pm

coldshoulder wrote:I've grown up in a small ski town in Utah (Park City). I'd love nothing better than to get accepted to Cornell and live in Ithaca for 3 years. I guess it's because I grew up with it, but I would hate living somewhere that wasn't cold as frozen hell...I'm also a small town person and am yearning for a rigorous academic environment.

Okay, I've got one. Anyone on here in the 3 year J.D./MBA program? Interested, but how difficult is it compared to a normal JD program?
I looked into it for a bit but ultimately decided against it. Basically, your first year is a standard 1L year, but you stay the summer for an "accelerated" MBA crash course. The next two years are spent splitting law and business courses.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Juff wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:I've grown up in a small ski town in Utah (Park City). I'd love nothing better than to get accepted to Cornell and live in Ithaca for 3 years. I guess it's because I grew up with it, but I would hate living somewhere that wasn't cold as frozen hell...I'm also a small town person and am yearning for a rigorous academic environment.

I looked into it for a bit but ultimately decided against it. Basically, your first year is a standard 1L year, but you stay the summer for an "accelerated" MBA crash course. The next two years are spent splitting law and business courses.
Your second year is entirely in the B-school (though there are a few law classes taught at the B-school that you can take). You split your 3rd year between the two schools. I only know of one person who is already in the program, but there are more than a few waiting to hear back if they got in for this summer. Remember, you can apply for the program during your 1L year if you are not sure that you want to do the 3 year program.

ETA: Also, note there is an increase cost for the program. It is not that you get two degrees for the price of one. It is a little cheaper than doing the two separate, but your tuition is increased during your last year since you are in both schools.

Horchata

Bronze

Post by Horchata » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:36 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Do you guys know anything about the JD/LLM program in international law? If you do, how would you rate it?
I was accepted to this program and am, too, interested in finding out more about it. It looked appealing on the website. Although I have a few qualms with it:

Cons: you have to attend the summer program in France for 1L summer (which is pretty cool, but it costs like $10K and you can't get an internship), you take an class in addition to your normal JD course load for the last two years. This last point is the thing with the program that really concerns me.

Pros: no extra cost (besides the summer in France), two degrees in three years, separate you from the pack...etc.

It seems like it would be bad-ass if you can pull it off, but there is pretty substantial risk involved. You don't have to decide until middle of 1L. I'm debating it now, though.

So, if anyone has any inside info., it would be appreciated

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:40 am

Horchata wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:Do you guys know anything about the JD/LLM program in international law? If you do, how would you rate it?
I was accepted to this program and am, too, interested in finding out more about it. It looked appealing on the website. Although I have a few qualms with it:

Cons: you have to attend the summer program in France for 1L summer (which is pretty cool, but it costs like $10K and you can't get an internship), you take an class in addition to your normal JD course load for the last two years. This last point is the thing with the program that really concerns me.

Pros: no extra cost (besides the summer in France), two degrees in three years, separate you from the pack...etc.

It seems like it would be bad-ass if you can pull it off, but there is pretty substantial risk involved. You don't have to decide until middle of 1L. I'm debating it now, though.

So, if anyone has any inside info., it would be appreciated
I just want to address the two bolded points. You can do the summer in Paris and get an internship. One person in my class is working for the government for half the summer, then doing the Paris trip for the other half.

While not a lot of people do the dual degree, I don't think it really separates you from the pack. It can give you something to talk about and if you are interested in comparative law is something you should look into, but to be separated from the pack, I think you would be better off trying to get one of the international summer internships with ICC or UN, then to do the dual degree. Practical experience trumps academics. (Just my two cents)

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm

is it worth paying sticker

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:54 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:is it worth paying sticker
we'll let you know in about 2 years.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 pm

mths wrote:
are there any hot gay dudes in ithaca?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 pm

mths wrote:
let me know now. 2 years is too long

mths

Silver