Stetson Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
masak

Re: Stetson Law School

Postby masak » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:40 pm

I really want to go there because it ... average student at tier 1. There are Stetson grads on the Florida Supreme Court...guy that says it is a bad school is an idiot. No law school is "bad."

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Last edited by masak on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Wa

Postby Jay Wa » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:01 pm

Stetson is a pretty good school. Not highly ranked, but quality education.
Last edited by Jay Wa on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:46 pm

-
Last edited by vasiok on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SouthFloridaGrad

Postby SouthFloridaGrad » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:46 pm

Ended up with a 168

AverageGuy

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:34 pm

What's the curve like at Stetson? Anything that a prospective student should know -- like what's the best thing, and what's the worst about it.

I'm trying to choose between Stetson, St. Louis and MI State. Comparisons are apples to oranges to peaches... I'm interested in health and elder law. I liked the MI campus, St. Louis has the #1 health law program and claims to place graduates nationally, and Stetson has beaches...if I get any more acceptances this cycle, I'm going to have to use a dart board to decide who gets my money since I change my mind every hour.

JuryDueT1000

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:46 pm

vasiok wrote:Your UG school doesn't matter, besides USF is a top 50 research university :D :lol:

It's mostly about numbers game, if you hit 170+ you'll probably get into some T14 schools and would probably get some money from T25 schools.

Stetson means that you'll be practicing in Florida for the rest of your life. It's too regional, too low ranking.

Too regional for you, or too regional for everybody?? Many people practice law in the same state their entire life.

SouthFloridaGrad

Postby SouthFloridaGrad » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:23 pm

I hear there is 2.7-2.9 curve, whatever that means - but the people I spoke with did mention that it is quite competitive at Stetson. Additionally, they have one of the only Elder Law concentrations in the country. Their alums apparently include the Backstreet Boys' attorney, as well as the attorney for the St. Petersburg Times, which is one of the larger newspapers in the country. Whether any of that makes sense to anyone or is useful, I can't say. You could try sending messages to some of their alums on Facebook and asking some of these questions as well.

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:28 pm

SouthFloridaGrad wrote:Ended up with a 168

With a decent gpa and that LSAT score, you should be able to get into any of the Florida schools and get money from Stetson.

Unless Stetson does throw good money at you, in-state tuition at FSU or Florida would be hard to turn down.

willikyl1

Postby willikyl1 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:31 pm

Just talked with a Stetson alum, and since I applied I talked with him a bit about the school. He said it completely changed his life. He was a poor student with high lsats and they were the only one who accepted him. He spoke on how good of an education you receive at Stetson and how it made him the great lawyer he is today, not to mention how great going to school in FL is. He lives in MI now and is wildly successful, he definitely has made me think twice about going to Stetson.

snakemongler84

Postby snakemongler84 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Just got my acceptance from Stetson yesterday. 160/3.22, I am hoping for a pretty decent chunk of cash knocked off. I already got 23k/yr from Miami, but Stetson seems like a better fit for me all things considered. Anyone know how/when they usually offer merit money?

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:39 pm

ive been accepted at stetson and miami and everything i hear/see/read about miami (even the TLS profile) is TERRIBLE. 2 people i know went there transferred, and 1 dude i know there right now absolutely hates it (but is just sticking it out). they said the competition there is ridiculous, on top of cost of living+expensive tuition is insane. it makes me sad :cry:

it's really discouraging to hear about miami like this. it is making stetson go up big time. the campus is gorgeous, they do really well throughout florida too. im just worried about being stuck in florida forever if i have zero mobility with a stetson degree (which i hear different opinions on)

snakemongler84

Postby snakemongler84 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:48 pm

I get a similar vibe from Miami. I'm not too worried about Stetson being regional. Florida is a pretty diverse state in terms of types of places to live, and my wife wouldn't allow me to apply anywhere north of where we are now (Illinois). Plus, with a little experience under your belt coming out of Stetson, I don't think it would be too hard to make a jump elsewhere. Granted, I have no interest in biglaw, but with a solid education (#1 Advocacy, #6 Legal Writing) I think I'd be able to find some decent public service work. I'm entertaining Military JAG more and more everyday too, and they value trial advocacy a great deal in terms of education and competition. I just hope I get some money from Stetson, because otherwise it just wouldn't make much sense.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:32 pm

I just received my Stetson acceptance. Full scholarship :shock: . I'm so excited! At this point, I'm 80% sure that I'll take the offer.

Denny_Crane

Postby Denny_Crane » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:50 pm

carrowd3 wrote:I just received my Stetson acceptance. Full scholarship :shock: . I'm so excited! At this point, I'm 80% sure that I'll take the offer.

I got the same offer. It really surprised me to get the full tuition. They were probably in the bottom half of my choices before, this definitely moved them up my list.

jpin22

Postby jpin22 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 pm

can i ask what what your guys numbers are who got full scholarships?

Denny_Crane

Postby Denny_Crane » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:15 pm

160/3.65

jpin22

Postby jpin22 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Was it only renewable if in top 1/3 or something like that?

Denny_Crane

Postby Denny_Crane » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:33 pm

jpin22 wrote:Was it only renewable if in top 1/3 or something like that?

Top 40%

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:10 am

161, 3.6

Denny_Crane wrote:
carrowd3 wrote:I just received my Stetson acceptance. Full scholarship :shock: . I'm so excited! At this point, I'm 80% sure that I'll take the offer.

I got the same offer. It really surprised me to get the full tuition. They were probably in the bottom half of my choices before, this definitely moved them up my list.

Yeah me too. I applied there in hopes of getting it, which would be the only way that I'd consider Stetson. I'll probably be left with a decision like...Stetson (full-ride), Pitt (12K/yr), Florida (out-of-state tuition). I think I'd have to take the full ride and hope that since I want to do IP (patent), my job prospects won't be so much ranking dependent.

Are you going to the Scholars retreat? I'm booking my flight tonight!!! I'm pumped!

Denny_Crane

Postby Denny_Crane » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:27 pm

carrowd3 wrote:161, 3.6

Denny_Crane wrote:

Yeah me too. I applied there in hopes of getting it, which would be the only way that I'd consider Stetson. I'll probably be left with a decision like...Stetson (full-ride), Pitt (12K/yr), Florida (out-of-state tuition). I think I'd have to take the full ride and hope that since I want to do IP (patent), my job prospects won't be so much ranking dependent.

Are you going to the Scholars retreat? I'm booking my flight tonight!!! I'm pumped!

I'm really thinking about it. It is still going to cost a decent amount as my flight will be $300 by itself, but I really want to check out the campus.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:11 pm

The $250 travel stipend doesn't go very far for me either. I also want my fiance to go down with me to see the city.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:12 pm

does everyone get a travel stipend? or just people who got scholly's?

Denny_Crane

Postby Denny_Crane » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 pm

midrangejumper wrote:does everyone get a travel stipend? or just people who got scholly's?

I got the offer in an e-mail inviting me to the scholars weekend, so I assume it's just for that. However, it never hurts to ask. If you are planning a visit I would shoot them an e-mail and ask if there is any kind of compensation they can offer.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:49 pm

i just called them. ASW is april 4th and they don't do a travel stipend. :cry:

im kinda shocked that both miami and stetson don't, being private schools and all i figured they could afford it?

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 pm

midrangejumper wrote:i just called them. ASW is april 4th and they don't do a travel stipend. :cry:

im kinda shocked that both miami and stetson don't, being private schools and all i figured they could afford it?

Yeah, that's strange and sucky.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”