Stetson Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chronos73

Re: Stetson Law School

Postby chronos73 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm a working adult, applying to Stetson Law school this year. I'm a husband and father of two, so I cannot afford to stop working to attend law school. You wrote of a scholarship plus stipend that was offered for Stetson. This would provide me the the ability to attend lawschool and still provide for my family. Do you know where I might find out more information on this scholarship + stipend?

Thanks.

QRider

Postby QRider » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm

edisongrl wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
edisongrl wrote:
Angela282 wrote:I just took the LSAT and did horrible (145). On all my practice tests I did at least 155. I am going to be overseas and unable to retake the LSAT before July. I have a 3.71 GPA. I really wanted to go to Stetson. Do I have a chance at all?

On my first practice test, I got a 144. Apparently I am a super ssssllllllloooooowwwwww test taker. I am going to sign up for a weekend PowerScore class and am taking as many practice tests I can get my hands on. Does anyone think that the class will help or don't bother?

Hey, just wondering how you have come along with your scores and applications? I was in a similar boat with the LSAT... Got a 151 for the December test (taking it again this February). I am interested in Stetson as well as FIU and Nova Southeastern.

Hope the PowerScore class was helpful.

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:55 am

I decided that I need to take probably take a full class instead of a weekend class because I wasn't doing great studying on my own with my full class schedule. There is a class in Miami at FIU that meets every Saturday over appx. 2 months. It's a drive from where I live but hopefully well worth it. I plan to take it the June LSAT. I am also interested in the same 3 schools you mentioned. Keep in touch & good luck on your LSAT in 2 weeks ;)

QRider

Postby QRider » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 pm

The LR and LG Bible are both great books that I have been going over for the past month. You really cannot rely too much on any class. Just make sure you put in the time on your own. I would suggest readin the LR and LG Bibles. They will give you a good foundation. Practice on individual sections and full tests - work on different questions that give you the most trouble. You will slowly begin to see improvements and then things will start to click. You can work on timing and other techniques as you go. You may want to buy some extra tests and books online. If you want any extra tests or info, let me know. After I take this test I will be happy to give u any extra material which I have not used.

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks for the advice! I have bought 2 of the "10 Actual LSAT Preptests" books but I definitely need instruction and explanations before I try to take anymore so I will buy the LR & LG Bibles. How much time do you put aside for studying every week? I need to just make a schedule and stick to it. Please let me know how you do on the test & your school path. Good luck!

QRider

Postby QRider » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:49 am

I would aim for about 3 hours per day. When you first get started studying, maybe spend less time actually studying but take extra time to organize and consider study strategies from different websites like this one.

caputlupinum

Postby caputlupinum » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Are there any Stetson students who can say how the hiring process is for Pinellas and Hillsborough county associate state attorneys? Also how many of your class get clerkships?

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:32 pm

caputlupinum wrote:Are there any Stetson students who can say how the hiring process is for Pinellas and Hillsborough county associate state attorneys? Also how many of your class get clerkships?

A lot of Stetson students go the route of assistant state attorney. The State Attorney for the sixth (Pinellas and Pasco) is a Stetson guy, and he loves to hire Stetson grads. I get the idea that finding employment as an ASA around here is not impossible at all, especially with a solid class rank and if you demonstrate interest properly. The main way to set yourself up to get a job as an ASA is to take the prosecution clinic while in school. To do this, you should 1) register for the Florida bar during your first year, 2) get all of the requirements out of the way during 2L (crim pro, evidence, professional responsibility, trial advocacy, Florida crim pro (recommended but not required)).

It helps to take other classes that would be applicable to a job in prosecution as well.

Of course, try to intern at a prosecutor's office during your summers as well.

Hiring is done post-grad for the most part I think.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:13 pm

bruss

Postby bruss » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Why do ppl keep advocating for stetson? The shit is way too expensive for its reputation.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”