Stetson Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HenryDavid

Re: Stetson Law School

Postby HenryDavid » Fri May 08, 2009 2:01 am

It's been awhile since I published anything...just felt that urge again and couldn't stop it!

Denny_Crane

Postby Denny_Crane » Fri May 08, 2009 12:33 pm

Although under different circumstances, the reasons I chose Stetson are quite similar to those of HD. Going into the law school search process I wasn't real sure what I was looking for in a school other than location. I was pretty sure I wanted to move somewhere away from home. I will fully admit that the first place I looked for to search law schools was last years US News Rankings. At that point I pretty much just picked out every school that was located in an area I thought I would like to live. Of course after I took the LSAT that eliminated some of the choices, but left me with a fairly long list of places that I had never seen and in many cases cities I'd never even been to. When I received the bulk of my acceptances I then paired that list down to 5 schools I knew I wanted to visit.

Now, I'll also admit that had I not received full tuition from Stetson, I don't know that I would have even visited. The fact that they paid for us to come down for the scholars retreat was the major reason I decided to visit, going in I had fairly low expectations but figured that a trip to Florida was a good deal even if I didn't like the school. Well not only were my expectations overcome I was blown away with everything about the school. The faculty was amazing, every single one I talked to/heard speak seemed genuinely concerted with the well-being of the students and also really seemed happy to be teaching at Stetson. I truly felt a sense of community that I didn't really expect and never found, at least to the same degree, at any other school I visited. In addition, the campus is beautiful and I personally would have no problem living in central Florida for an extended period of time. This point is fairly significant for me because unlike HD, all of my school choices were almost completely regional schools. I visited ASU and liked Phoenix, but it was going to cost significantly more and I had kind of a strange conversation with the dean of admissions that left me with kind of a bad taste in my mouth (she basically berated other schools saying why ASU is so much better). I also loved Pepperdine, there is no doubt that was my second choice. When it came down to it I just didn't know if I would want to live in LA, I liked it, but it was just so different from what I am used to.

So when it came down to picking a school the thing that I kept going back to was where did I feel most comfortable. This included both financial comfort and looking ahead for my future. Stetson does very well placing in Central Florida, I have very little fears of getting a job with a Stetson degree. Is it the kind of job that everyone is looking for? Obviously not, I'm not planning on getting a BigLaw job in NY or Chicago or anything like that. I also realize I won't need a job like that as I won't have huge loans to repay. Can I say that I would pay full price to go there? Probably not, although it would certainly depend on the other options available. What I can say is that I have had very little "second thoughts" about my decision, even though for some on here going to a "Tier 2/3" school is basically the equivalent of a terrible nightmare.

Like HD said, everyone's situation is unique. What I decided, even with the same options may not make another person make the same decision as I did. I just felt that when all is said and done, Stetson was the best option for me. I would highly recommend that anyone considering Stetson visit the campus and meet with the professors/support staff and see if it feels like the right fit for you.

Angela282

Postby Angela282 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 am

I just took the LSAT and did horrible (145). On all my practice tests I did at least 155. I am going to be overseas and unable to retake the LSAT before July. I have a 3.71 GPA. I really wanted to go to Stetson. Do I have a chance at all?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 am

Angela282 wrote:I just took the LSAT and did horrible (145). On all my practice tests I did at least 155. I am going to be overseas and unable to retake the LSAT before July. I have a 3.71 GPA. I really wanted to go to Stetson. Do I have a chance at all?

Unfortunately, I really doubt 145 could get you into Stetson even with that GPA. I think your best bet will be to try to take the LSAT again next year (possibly take a class) and apply for Fall 2011.

MU2009

Postby MU2009 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:43 pm

I am pretty interested in Stetson and have been looking at the viewbook and website. One thing that confused me a bit was regarding the Stetson College of Law in Gulfport and then the Stetson Law Center in Tampa. Are classes spread out amongst both locations? Is one for PT students and one for FT students? Any input on these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 am

MU2009 wrote:I am pretty interested in Stetson and have been looking at the viewbook and website. One thing that confused me a bit was regarding the Stetson College of Law in Gulfport and then the Stetson Law Center in Tampa. Are classes spread out amongst both locations? Is one for PT students and one for FT students? Any input on these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I did a little research and from what I gather, Most of your classes as a FT 1L will be in Gulfport. As you take electives in 2L and 3L, you may get the opportunity attend classes at the law center in Tampa.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Correct. All 1L classes will be in Gulfport if you are FT. PT is over in Tampa.

heffdog

Postby heffdog » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:43 pm

I applied a month ago, and my status changed to Decision Made a little over 3 weeks later (Nov 23). So I am expecting a letter any day now. I have a 2.8 GPA (with my last 2 years being 3.4+) and a 154 on the LSAT.

Got into Barry and St Thomas so far, but obviously Stetson is where I want to be. Do I have a shot?

MU2009

Postby MU2009 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:32 pm

heffdog wrote:I applied a month ago, and my status changed to Decision Made a little over 3 weeks later (Nov 23). So I am expecting a letter any day now. I have a 2.8 GPA (with my last 2 years being 3.4+) and a 154 on the LSAT.

Got into Barry and St Thomas so far, but obviously Stetson is where I want to be. Do I have a shot?

Doubt it but hopefully you do!

heffdog

Postby heffdog » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:09 pm

Still holding out.. :mrgreen:

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:26 pm

i got an acceptance in the mail today!!!

MU2009

Postby MU2009 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Does anyone know what the curve is like at Stetson?

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:43 pm

I believe Stetson curves to a 2.9. Somebody asked at the scholars retreat. I think it used to be a 2.7.

Royal68

Postby Royal68 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:26 pm

How does Stetson fare in the Miami Market?

Royal68

Postby Royal68 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:42 pm

bump

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 am

We just visited Stetson for my son. Let me share my experience. By the way, I am a tax lawyer who attended Univeristy of Miami during the age of the dinosaurs.

My initial reaction before seeing Stetson was that it was too low in the rankings to be really competitive with either Miami or Florida. Moreover, I really found Gulport rather "hickish," although I did like Tampa. However, my meetings with some of the deans, a visiting faculty member and as a result of my tour really turned me around about them.

First, they have GREAT facilities. The building that they occupy was an upscale , classy hotel before it was converted to a law school. It is VERY nice. I loved the facilites including courtrooms that are very elderly friendly with adjustible tables and chairs. All court rooms were full of equipment such as cameras, video screens etc.

Everyone at Stetson, and I do mean everyone that I met, was amazingly nice and helpful. The dean of the Elder law program spent as much time as we wanted to find out about the program. The tax professor that we met was very sharp. Everyone at admissions was great in giving us information about courses and ways to improve LSAT scores. I really did get a warm furry feel that I didn't get at Miami, which I am sad to say since I am an alum of the law school.

Stetson also has some very strong programs in trial advocacy and elder law. I also got a more nurturing feel about Stetson than I did at other law schools such as Miami. This can be crucial since law school is nothing like most people expect. Students must like the school because they have very few transfers too.
As for jobs, they seem, at least before this big economic downturn, to have done beter than expected for its ranking. However, I wasn't focuing on that since my son has a lot of connections with a large accounting firm and some law firms.

Would I take Stetson over Florida, absent money: probably not ,because the huge rating difference and because I also liked Florida a lot and because of the tuition difference. However, if it were a choice between Stetson and Miami and other law schools in Florida, Stetson could be a good choice.

Check out the school. I promise that you will be impressed. I certainly got the feeling that the school is much better than the rankings would suggest.
Last edited by taxguy on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.

dempsey

Postby dempsey » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:10 am

taxguy strikes again

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:13 pm

MU2009 wrote:Does anyone know what the curve is like at Stetson?

What were your numbers?

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 am

lawschool5523 wrote:i got an acceptance in the mail today!!!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am

edisongurl, you do realize that's from 8 months ago...right?

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:46 pm

trialjunky wrote:edisongurl, you do realize that's from 8 months ago...right?

Yeah, just thought I'd ask because it wasn't in her profile. I am not feeling that confident about the LSAT & am very curious to see what the lowest numbers are for anyone who has actually been accepted to Stetson.

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:55 pm

heffdog wrote:Still holding out.. :mrgreen:

I know it's been forever since your post...but did you end up getting in to Stetson??

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Angela282 wrote:I just took the LSAT and did horrible (145). On all my practice tests I did at least 155. I am going to be overseas and unable to retake the LSAT before July. I have a 3.71 GPA. I really wanted to go to Stetson. Do I have a chance at all?

On my first practice test, I got a 144. Apparently I am a super ssssllllllloooooowwwwww test taker. I am going to sign up for a weekend PowerScore class and am taking as many practice tests I can get my hands on. Does anyone think that the class will help or don't bother?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:34 pm

edisongrl wrote:

On my first practice test, I got a 144. Apparently I am a super ssssllllllloooooowwwwww test taker. I am going to sign up for a weekend PowerScore class and am taking as many practice tests I can get my hands on. Does anyone think that the class will help or don't bother?

apparently, you are just super ssssllllllloooooowwwwww in general. Stop having a online conversation with only yourself...

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 pm

trialjunky wrote:
edisongrl wrote:

apparently, you are just super ssssllllllloooooowwwwww in general. Stop having a online conversation with only yourself...

Awwww...you're so sweet.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”