Stetson Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HenryDavid

New

Re: Stetson Law School

Post by HenryDavid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 pm

midrangejumper wrote:alright is the pillow fight over ladies?

now back to stetson
We are just itching to get into the courtroom!!! :twisted:

I have visited Stetson twice, so I am happy to answer any questions about my experiences so far, which have been nothing short of fantastic!

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:13 pm

HenryDavid wrote:No worries, man. As long as people are getting valuable info, it's all good! Sorry if I came across as dismissive of your UF idea. Maybe I am just mad that I am not getting a full ride at UF, and it is coloring my perceptions! :wink:
I feel all warm and fuzzy now :)

Are you debating this same scenario like OP, or are you going to UF, or none of the above? Curious is all.

And FWIW the dean of admissions at Stetson (Laura Zuppo... I think that's her name) is super nice and always had time for me whenever I emailed or called (and at one point that was pretty often). Weigh that against some other schools I've done the same at (no names... ASU *cough*) and this bodes well for Stetson for sure. I would (EDIT:) *NOT* base a decision on where to matriculate solely on this, obviously, but a little touch like that can always help tip the scales.
Last edited by dante500 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:31 am

dante500 wrote:
HenryDavid wrote:No worries, man. As long as people are getting valuable info, it's all good! Sorry if I came across as dismissive of your UF idea. Maybe I am just mad that I am not getting a full ride at UF, and it is coloring my perceptions! :wink:

Are you debating this same scenario like OP, or are you going to UF, or none of the above? Curious is all.

And FWIW the dean of admissions at Stetson (Laura Zuppo... I think that's her name) is super nice and always had time for me whenever I emailed or called (and at one point that was pretty often). Weigh that against some other schools I've done the same at (no names... ASU *cough*) and this bodes well for Stetson for sure. I would base a decision on where to matriculate solely on this, obviously, but a little touch like that can always help tip the scales.
I have had a similar experience with ASU. They are terrible.

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 am

sanpiero wrote:
dante500 wrote:

And FWIW the dean of admissions at Stetson (Laura Zuppo... I think that's her name) is super nice and always had time for me whenever I emailed or called (and at one point that was pretty often). Weigh that against some other schools I've done the same at (no names... ASU *cough*) and this bodes well for Stetson for sure. I would base a decision on where to matriculate solely on this, obviously, but a little touch like that can always help tip the scales.
When I got a call telling me that I was accepted, I was actually loudly vocally sighed at when I inquired about scholarship. I felt embarrassed for ASU at that point. Follow up communications were generally marked by uncaring voices treating me like even answering the phone was a favor. So rubbed the wrong way was I that I scratched them off my list - not that they were tops to begin with, but whatever.

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:30 pm

sanpiero wrote:
dante500 wrote:

I almost forgot I applied to ASU lol
I sent in an app in October, got an email a long time ago, and nothing since...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:18 pm

dante500 wrote:

And FWIW the dean of admissions at Stetson (Laura Zuppo... I think that's her name) is super nice and always had time for me whenever I emailed or called (and at one point that was pretty often). Weigh that against some other schools I've done the same at (no names... ASU *cough*) and this bodes well for Stetson for sure. I would (EDIT:) *NOT* base a decision on where to matriculate solely on this, obviously, but a little touch like that can always help tip the scales.
I am debating between USC (no financial aid info so far), BU ($20K/yr), BC ($15K/yr), UF (in-state $8K first year need-based unrenewable grant) and Stetson (just down the road - full scholarship plus stipend) - seems like a no-brainer to some, but the debt concerns me a little bit, as well as the fact that I have incoming personal debt, a car payment (on a car that would have to be sold at a loss in order to afford moving), a condo payment (ditto), a significant other who has a job with benefits and a fully-paid for house locally, and an outdoor cat (not easy to find a suitable living arrangement for the big guy in an urban setting...); the process is driving me nuts!

Laura is awesome. I believe that I may have a slight crush on her.

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:18 pm

HenryDavid wrote:
dante500 wrote:

I am debating between USC (no financial aid info so far), BU ($20K/yr), BC ($15K/yr), UF (in-state $8K first year need-based unrenewable grant) and Stetson (just down the road - full scholarship plus stipend) - seems like a no-brainer to some, but the debt concerns me a little bit, as well as the fact that I have incoming personal debt, a car payment (on a car that would have to be sold at a loss in order to afford moving), a condo payment (ditto), a significant other who has a job with benefits and a fully-paid for house locally, and an outdoor cat (not easy to find a suitable living arrangement for the big guy in an urban setting...); the process is driving me nuts!

I'd say you're a non trad like I am... Not that you're asking my input or would necessarily value it at all, but given the few lines you've typed as a window into your situation, if I were you I'd go with Stetson without question. In fact, I envy your situation as far as already being situated in a city that I'd be happy as hell to live in and given a free ride at a local LS that I could attend and feel confident working into a successful career. Go for it and don't look back, knowing that there's at least one person out there that would gladly take the situation your are in and take Stetson.

As for the bolded, I could easily believe that :)

EDIT: When did you apply to Cornell?

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:09 am

dante500 wrote:
HenryDavid wrote:

I'd say you're a non trad like I am... Not that you're asking my input or would necessarily value it at all, but given the few lines you've typed as a window into your situation, if I were you I'd go with Stetson without question. In fact, I envy your situation as far as already being situated in a city that I'd be happy as hell to live in and given a free ride at a local LS that I could attend and feel confident working into a successful career. Go for it and don't look back, knowing that there's at least one person out there that would gladly take the situation your are in and take Stetson.

As for the bolded, I could easily believe that :)

EDIT: When did you apply to Cornell?

You would be mostly right about the non-trad. I'm not a mid-lifer or anything, but certainly much more established than most applicants!

It is actually very good to hear that someone else would love to be in my shoes...I think that I sometimes forget how great of a situation I am in!

I applied to Cornell in mid-November. Got a letter saying I was deferred in early February. Resigned to kissing that one goodbye...

blaster9

New

Post by blaster9 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:39 am

just to get back into the stetson v. miami topic ive gotten into both, grew up in miami with fam, but Im favoring stetson at this point. I have no $ from either so thats not a factor. However, Therese Lambert just visited UF yesterday to talk about UM and i guess try to persuade us to go there and well all I can say is UM couldnt have picked a worse public speaker/persuasive speaker! She was the dictionary definition of monotone and wasnt very friendly. Stetson however and everyone ive spoken to over there has been amazing and super nice. Not to mention location? Cant beat it I think Im leaning towards stetson regardless of ranks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Denny_Crane

New

Post by Denny_Crane » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55 am

Just sent in my confirmation, I'll be at Stetson in the Fall.

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Barring something bizarre happening, I will be as well!

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:33 pm

then quit f'in around, you're making me nervous!

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 pm

Fine, I sent in my acceptance yesterday :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blaster9

New

Post by blaster9 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 pm

cya all there!

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:45 pm

HenryDavid wrote:Fine, I sent in my acceptance yesterday :D
Denny_Crane wrote:Just sent in my confirmation, I'll be at Stetson in the Fall.
blaster9 wrote:cya all there!
Wooo!

Who else has commited to Stetson on here?

Jay Wa

New

Post by Jay Wa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:41 pm

I'm a 1L at Stetson right now...just let me know if you have any questions.

Denny_Crane

New

Post by Denny_Crane » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:16 pm

Jay Wa wrote:I'm a 1L at Stetson right now...just let me know if you have any questions.
What are some good apartment complexes near campus?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:24 am

Jay, what are your summer plans?

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Along the same lines as Denny's Q, where would you recommend living?

Really close, far away, or somewhere in between? Which general directions around campus are the best, housing wise? My wife would prefer to be as close to the beach as possible - given that it is safe.

I'm either thinking right around campus in Gulfport, maybe near downtown St. Pete, or up in Clearwater. Your thoughts?

Exciting stuff!

Jay Wa

New

Post by Jay Wa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:20 pm

What are some good apartment complexes near campus?
Well, the one that is most popular is Gulf View, which is right across the street from Stetson. If you're looking for proximity, but still want apartment style living, you got your place. Another one that is actually owned by Stetson is Rosa; apparently the rent is pretty cheap there.

However, I'm not that crazy about the Gulfport area. Also, I've heard that living in Gulf View is basically like living on campus, which is too much for me. My personal preference is downtown St. Petersburg, such as the Madison. It is about 6 miles away from campus. There are apparently a lot of activities that go on during the weekends, and it's walking distance to Publix, Great Clips, and all the downtown bars.
Jay, what are your summer plans?
I'm studying abroad over in Austria with the MBA program. By the way, there are a lot of benefits from getting your JD/MBA here (e.g. you can do it in three years; you don't have to take the GMAT; etc.). That's actually one of the reasons I chose to go to Stetson in the first place.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Mon May 04, 2009 2:24 pm

Denny & HD - I'm considering Stetson and just wanted to get a better idea of why exactly you chose to take the money at Stetson over other, higher-ranked schools. HD, I know your situation is very unique, but I'd appreciate anything you can offer on the topic. Also, is anyone aware of what salary prospects are for the class of 2009 or Stetson Law grads in general? I've heard Stetson places very well in the Tampa area; how do grads fair in Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville and Tallahasse? Are Stetson grads viewed considerably different than FSU and UF grads, across FLA?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Wed May 06, 2009 3:22 am

sanpiero wrote:Denny & HD - I'm considering Stetson and just wanted to get a better idea of why exactly you chose to take the money at Stetson over other, higher-ranked schools. HD, I know your situation is very unique, but I'd appreciate anything you can offer on the topic. Also, is anyone aware of what salary prospects are for the class of 2009 or Stetson Law grads in general? I've heard Stetson places very well in the Tampa area; how do grads fair in Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville and Tallahasse? Are Stetson grads viewed considerably different than FSU and UF grads, across FLA?
When I first entertained the thought of applying to law school, I did not even consider a move. This left Stetson as the only option. After some research, I determined that I had a very good chance of landing a scholarship there. After further research, I determined that I had a very good chance of landing a full scholarship elsewhere. This was based on last cycle numbers over at LSN, and we all know that scholarship money has dried up this cycle. I wanted to give myself options, and I didn't want to be left thinking, "What if I had applied to...?" As I had a fee waiver, I figured that I would apply to any school that I would consider attending over Stetson. The Ivys because they are the Ivys. Boston schools because I spent two summers there and loved the area. Michigan schools because I was born there and have family there as well. LA because I wanted to be an entertainment lawyer at the outset of this process. Washington, D.C. because that is where the center of the governmental legal world is in this country. Florida schools because it would be less of a life-altering change to still attend within state, and I thought I had a decent chance at a scholly at Miami and UF, plus UF has nice in-state tuition.

I really, REALLY considered BU, UF, GW and USC. BU ended up being a no-go because their student budget did not allow for a car, and I am in year 2 of a 5 year car loan. The winters also seemed daunting. UF became a no-go after I decided that I did not want to move to a place I would not stay in after school. GW and USC ended up running out of funds, and I could not bear the thought of $150K+ loans upon graduation, given the economic climate and knowing how badly I despise being in debt even to the degree that I am now from having lived nearly 30 years on this planet.

When Stetson came through with an additional stipend on top of the scholarship, my decision was 99% made. The visit during their Scholar Retreat for scholarship students essentially sealed the deal. The faculty members were impressive, and the atmosphere just felt right. I met at least a half dozen other students who will be attending Stetson on scholarship as well and it really felt like a great group of nice people. Comfort level is something that I have come to realize is far more important than I once thought. I plan on remembering this when job search time comes around.

Ultimately, I realized that my goals and dreams are unique to me, and I had gotten caught up in the rankings and biglaw hoopla. Not to get obtuse, but I think the key to life is in crystallizing what it is that you are trying to accomplish, and then evaluating each potential option in reference to your stated goals. Your goals are likely not my goals. My goals are certainly not the same as the majority posting here and I nearly forgot that and started living someone else's dream.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel that people sometimes lose out when responses aren't thorough.

Best of luck and PM me anytime if you have any other questions!

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 pm

I left the woods for as good a reason as I went there. Perhaps it seemed to me that I had several more lives to live, and could not spare any more time for that one. It is remarkable how easily and insensibly we fall into a particular route, and make a beaten track for ourselves. I had not lived there a week before my feet wore a path from my door to the pond-side; and though it is five or six years since I trod it, it is still quite distinct. It is true, I fear, that others may have fallen into it, and so helped to keep it open. The surface of the earth is soft and impressible by the feet of men; and so with the paths which the mind travels. How worn and dusty, then, must be the highways of the world, how deep the ruts of tradition and conformity! I did not wish to take a cabin passage, but rather to go before the mast and on the deck of the world, for there I could best see the moonlight amid the mountains. I do not wish to go below now.

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings. In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness. If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
- Thoreau

Nice post HD. But you could have just quoted yourself :-)

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu May 07, 2009 1:01 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:I left the woods for as good a reason as I went there. Perhaps it seemed to me that I had several more lives to live, and could not spare any more time for that one. It is remarkable how easily and insensibly we fall into a particular route, and make a beaten track for ourselves. I had not lived there a week before my feet wore a path from my door to the pond-side; and though it is five or six years since I trod it, it is still quite distinct. It is true, I fear, that others may have fallen into it, and so helped to keep it open. The surface of the earth is soft and impressible by the feet of men; and so with the paths which the mind travels. How worn and dusty, then, must be the highways of the world, how deep the ruts of tradition and conformity! I did not wish to take a cabin passage, but rather to go before the mast and on the deck of the world, for there I could best see the moonlight amid the mountains. I do not wish to go below now.

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings. In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness. If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
- Thoreau

Nice post HD. But you could have just quoted yourself :-)
I like it

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 pm

HenryDavid wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Denny & HD - I'm considering Stetson and just wanted to get a better idea of why exactly you chose to take the money at Stetson over other, higher-ranked schools. HD, I know your situation is very unique, but I'd appreciate anything you can offer on the topic. Also, is anyone aware of what salary prospects are for the class of 2009 or Stetson Law grads in general? I've heard Stetson places very well in the Tampa area; how do grads fair in Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville and Tallahasse? Are Stetson grads viewed considerably different than FSU and UF grads, across FLA?
When I first entertained the thought of applying to law school, I did not even consider a move. This left Stetson as the only option. After some research, I determined that I had a very good chance of landing a scholarship there. After further research, I determined that I had a very good chance of landing a full scholarship elsewhere. This was based on last cycle numbers over at LSN, and we all know that scholarship money has dried up this cycle. I wanted to give myself options, and I didn't want to be left thinking, "What if I had applied to...?" As I had a fee waiver, I figured that I would apply to any school that I would consider attending over Stetson. The Ivys because they are the Ivys. Boston schools because I spent two summers there and loved the area. Michigan schools because I was born there and have family there as well. LA because I wanted to be an entertainment lawyer at the outset of this process. Washington, D.C. because that is where the center of the governmental legal world is in this country. Florida schools because it would be less of a life-altering change to still attend within state, and I thought I had a decent chance at a scholly at Miami and UF, plus UF has nice in-state tuition.

I really, REALLY considered BU, UF, GW and USC. BU ended up being a no-go because their student budget did not allow for a car, and I am in year 2 of a 5 year car loan. The winters also seemed daunting. UF became a no-go after I decided that I did not want to move to a place I would not stay in after school. GW and USC ended up running out of funds, and I could not bear the thought of $150K+ loans upon graduation, given the economic climate and knowing how badly I despise being in debt even to the degree that I am now from having lived nearly 30 years on this planet.

When Stetson came through with an additional stipend on top of the scholarship, my decision was 99% made. The visit during their Scholar Retreat for scholarship students essentially sealed the deal. The faculty members were impressive, and the atmosphere just felt right. I met at least a half dozen other students who will be attending Stetson on scholarship as well and it really felt like a great group of nice people. Comfort level is something that I have come to realize is far more important than I once thought. I plan on remembering this when job search time comes around.

Ultimately, I realized that my goals and dreams are unique to me, and I had gotten caught up in the rankings and biglaw hoopla. Not to get obtuse, but I think the key to life is in crystallizing what it is that you are trying to accomplish, and then evaluating each potential option in reference to your stated goals. Your goals are likely not my goals. My goals are certainly not the same as the majority posting here and I nearly forgot that and started living someone else's dream.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel that people sometimes lose out when responses aren't thorough.

Best of luck and PM me anytime if you have any other questions!
Thanks, HD!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”