Chances for BigLaw

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
EnduranceBoy

New

Chances for BigLaw

Postby EnduranceBoy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Hey, everyone, just trying to get a sense of how much GPA I should get in school to obtain a position in BigLaw.

Decent school for undergrad with an engineering major
Currently in T14 starting off my first year.
Already have a good resume, and I believe I am a good interview taker with preparation.
What's the GPA that I have to get in order to go into a decent law firm, preferably that is in the 10's in Vault100? Thanks!

Anon-non-anon

New

Re: Chances for BigLaw

Postby Anon-non-anon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Need lots more info than this. You are definitely in a good spot being in T14 and engineering background can help (though depends a lot on type of engineering and your practice interests, IP jobs will take lower GPAs, but lots of IP jobs require masters or higher).

It also depends on the market you're looking at. NYC is probably easiest bc of the volume of associate spots. DC is tough, even if you have good grades.

The better you do, the easier it will be no matter what so just try to do as well as you can. If you're in the lower end of T14, I think getting close to median makes you a pretty safe bet for big law in NYC. Lower it can be a little dicey but definitely not out. Better grades will give more room for error though, and more flexibility geographically.

EnduranceBoy

New

Postby EnduranceBoy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks for your reply!

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 pm

EnduranceBoy wrote:Hey, everyone, just trying to get a sense of how much GPA I should get in school to obtain a position in BigLaw.

Decent school for undergrad with an engineering major
Currently in T14 starting off my first year.
Already have a good resume, and I believe I am a good interview taker with preparation.
What's the GPA that I have to get in order to go into a decent law firm, preferably that is in the 10's in Vault100? Thanks!

I don't know why you would particularly want a v10. There are excellent firms that barely register on vault, and mediocre firms that rank pretty high. I've participated in the vault survey a few times. They just give a bunch of law firm associate a list of the AMLAW 250ish firms and ask them to rank from 1-10. As such, it's heavily dependent on associate name recognition, which may have little bearing on whether it's a place you'd actually want to work. It also tends to favor NYC based firms. Particular practice area strengths are often far more important.

If all those things are true, you probably will get some sort of biglaw job as long as you don't absolutely bomb grade-wise (Sub 3.0) and the economy doesn't tank between now and then (like 2007-2008 cycle). You'll need to be top 1/3 or so (cutoff for honors or dean's list) to have a shot at the more selective firms, though the precise number will depend a lot on details.

If you want to take the patent bar, you will probably get a lot patent prosecution interest (assuming that's what you want), and firms may be a be more lenient on law school grades. I don't think the v10 does much patent prosecution work though- it can't command the billing rates of M&A.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?