Are these ties good enough for insular markets?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bonzeye

New

Are these ties good enough for insular markets?

Postby Bonzeye » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:04 pm

I've lived in small towns in Northern Indiana, Northern Minnesota, and Kansas my entire life. I've visited Chicago, Minneapolis and Kansas city multiple times but lived several hours away from these cities in each chapter of my life (born in Kansas). I understand that several of these markets require ties- but are mine good enough? I have not worked in any of these cities and have no immediate family members in the surrounding areas. I am not in law school yet, currently attending undergrad in Kansas.

Anonymous User

Re: Are these ties good enough for insular markets?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Take this with a grain of salt because I don't work in the midwest (I work for a midwestern HQed firm), but it seems to me as though being from the midwest in general is enough of a tie to land the markets you mentioned as long as you have the other requisite credentials. The top Chicago firms draw talent from all the three midwestern based t14s and midwesterners from other schools and I doubt most of those people are from Chicago or even the Chicago suburbs. This may not be the case in the other two markets you mentioned, but just a general desire to remain and practice in the midwest is what they're looking for.

Also, what school you go to will be much more impactful. Chicago is relatively competitive. Firms hire the majority of their classes from Northwestern, Chicago, and Michigan. I went to a non-midwestern t14 (VPD) and the kids with decent grades and Chicago ties had a hard time getting jobs in Chicago. Keep that in mind when selecting a law school. Can't speak to the other markets at all but know they're obviously less prestige focused in hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:16 pm

I work at a big Chicago firm and the vast majority of the entering class in our Chicago office is from Harvard/Chicago/NW/Michigan. I don't even think our Chicago office interviews at Duke or Virginia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work at a big Chicago firm and the vast majority of the entering class in our Chicago office is from Harvard/Chicago/NW/Michigan. I don't even think our Chicago office interviews at Duke or Virginia.

Also in Chicago biglaw and from one of those schools. If you have solid ties then you are fine from those schools. But you'll have to explain. From NU or Chicago, there's much less of a need to come up with a reason for why Chicago.

(In an interview It's a good answer to say that you went to law school in Chicago because you're from the Midwest and want to start your career near your family and doing sophisticated work in a big market)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm

I think the absence of people from those schools is more lack of interest (i.e., most of people from those schools aren't targeting Chicago). I know my firm actively tries to get more people from Virginia/Penn because they really struggle to get good candidates from those schools to consider us.

If you are t-14 and (a) go to a midwestern school or (b) are from the midwest generally, I think you will be fine (obviously all the caveats grades, fit, etc. matter).

No idea about the other markets you mention.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Bonzeye wrote:I've lived in small towns in Northern Indiana, Northern Minnesota, and Kansas my entire life. I've visited Chicago, Minneapolis and Kansas city multiple times but lived several hours away from these cities in each chapter of my life (born in Kansas). I understand that several of these markets require ties- but are mine good enough? I have not worked in any of these cities and have no immediate family members in the surrounding areas. I am not in law school yet, currently attending undergrad in Kansas.

What kind of legal work do you envision doing? There are very, very few large law firms in Minnesota or Kansas.

Bonzeye

New

Postby Bonzeye » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:54 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Bonzeye wrote:I've lived in small towns in Northern Indiana, Northern Minnesota, and Kansas my entire life. I've visited Chicago, Minneapolis and Kansas city multiple times but lived several hours away from these cities in each chapter of my life (born in Kansas). I understand that several of these markets require ties- but are mine good enough? I have not worked in any of these cities and have no immediate family members in the surrounding areas. I am not in law school yet, currently attending undergrad in Kansas.

What kind of legal work do you envision doing? There are very, very few large law firms in Minnesota or Kansas.

Well, I guess I was mainly wondering about Chicago, and whether my time in northern Indiana is enough of a tie to satisfy Chicago firms. Chicago is my goal, but I know it can be competitive even for Michigan/Northwestern students.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Bonzeye wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

Well, I guess I was mainly wondering about Chicago, and whether my time in northern Indiana is enough of a tie to satisfy Chicago firms. Chicago is my goal, but I know it can be competitive even for Michigan/Northwestern students.

Your ties are fine. Just focus on getting into a good law school

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?