Patent Bar Eligibility

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
powerfail

New

Patent Bar Eligibility

Postby powerfail » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 pm

I have a very specific question about patent law and the patent bar exam. I am currently in college and am majoring in Computer Science. I'm strongly considering law school. I don't yet know what type of law I would want to do, but one of the areas I'm interested in is patent law. I recently talked to a few patent lawyers who told me that, for certain types of patent work, you need to take the patent bar exam, and that requires having a certain number of STEM credits. They told me to check whether my undergrad coursework will meet the standards.

I just checked this website: https://www.patenteducationseries.com/e ... tions.html

I don't think my school's Computer Science program is ABET accredited, so I don't think I'll fit under Category A (if ABET accredited is what they mean by accredited).

I may fit under Category B, Option 4, but I'm not sure. I expect I'll have the "32 hrs of chemistry, physics, biology, botany, microbiology, molecular biology and engineering" because the CS should count as "engineering," but correct me if I'm wrong. My bigger concern is that I haven't taken 8 hours of chemistry or 8 hours of physics in college. I took AP Chemistry (10 credit hours total) and AP Physics C (also 10 credit hours total) in high school, and my college granted me credit for those, but I didn't actually take them in college.

This is a complicated situation-can anyone tell me whether I'd be eligible for the patent bar?

QContinuum

Re: Patent Bar Eligibility

Postby QContinuum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:03 pm

If your Comp Sci program isn't ABET-accredited, then yes, you will need to qualify under Category B. http://www.ipwatchdog.com/patent-bar-exam/category-b/ has a good writeup.

Note that both options 2 and 4 require 8 semester hours in chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics - and the 8 semester hours must be obtained in two sequential semesters, each semester including a lab. Most colleges call the relevant qualifying courses Chem I & II (or Physics I & II). It doesn't sound like your AP courses will qualify.

If you're close to qualifying under Category B, it may well be worth taking a few extra classes to establish your eligibility.

powerfail

New

Postby powerfail » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:16 pm

My college transcript says I have credit for General Chemistry I, General Chemistry Lab I, General Chemistry II, General Chemistry Lab II, Mechanics w/lab, and Electricity & Magnetism w/lab. Because I have these credits, I have been able to take courses that depend on them as prerequisites. But the transcript does show that these are AP courses and not courses that I actually took in college. I did take both semesters of AP Chemistry in a row (fall and spring of 11th grade) and both semesters of AP Physics in a row (fall and spring of 10th grade).

Do you still think the AP courses won't qualify? Is there anyone I can contact to get an official "yes" or "no" on whether they will qualify?

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Hmm. It does sound like there may be a chance. You should try reaching out directly to USPTO's Office of Enrollment and Discipline (OED), which is responsible for enrolling new patent agents/attorneys. https://www.uspto.gov/about-us/organiza ... ipline-oed

Best wishes!

powerfail

New

Postby powerfail » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 am

I reached out to the OED by email. They replied that they won't tell me whether or not I meet the qualifications for the patent bar--I have to do an entire application to get an answer from them. So I guess they are too bureaucratic to answer my question. :?

Does anyone have personal experience with this? Do AP courses count for the Category B physics/chemistry requirement if they are accepted for credit by your college and appear on your college transcript?

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?