A Question for Lawyers and Law School students (US) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Roger4

New

A Question for Lawyers and Law School students (US)

Post by Roger4 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:05 am

Hello guys

I have to confess that I am not a law school student or lawyer but I'm an author (almost) and I need your help guys.
I just want some basic information about Law Schools (in the United States)

1.) Can a student have lectures in Civil Procedure? In other words, is civil procedure a subject that can be taught in law school as subject of its own, like subjects we take in high school like Math, Biology, Chemistry? Is civil procedure a single subject taught in Law Schools or is it a general term for multiple subjects within the name? The reason asking is because. I want to use a phrase like "yesterday I had lectures with Mr. XXX and Mr. XXX was the professor for Civil Procedure". Are there professors that specialize in teaching Civil Procedure in law schools as a subject itself or do they teach like a wide variety of subjects that fall under Civil Procedure?

2.) My second question is. Do you law school students attend law school like every day of the week? Morning lectures and afternoon lectures from Monday till Friday?

3.) In a single week can you guys give me an example of different subject lectures taught at law schools?

4-)Finally If Law School lasts for 3 years, are the subjects lectured in the first year, taught all he way to the final year or do new subjects emerge up in the second year and final year?

Sorry guys & forgive my ignorance
Just wanna understand what happens within that basic law school environment
Every response will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

TripTrip

Gold

Re: A Question for Lawyers and Law School students (US)

Post by TripTrip » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Short answers :

1) Yes. Civil Procedure is usually a required first year standalone course.

2) You can, but you can also schedule all your classes to be on Monday and Tuesday if you want to.

3) Recommend just looking at the course catalog for a Law School. They are all publicly available.

4) New subjects, though in theory they build on what you learned first year. Law is big. For example, in first year many students take Property. The most tangible type of property is real property, so you spend a lot of time talking about land rights and ownership. In second year, maybe you're interested in Copyright, so you take that class. That's a type of property, but almost nothing you learned in property (except the fundamentals of law) will be applicable. Then next year maybe you take Copyright Litigation, which focuses specifically on the resulting lawsuits from copyrights. You don't need to have taken Copyright, but at least in this example there would be a lot of overlap.

Separately, you seem to think that all Law School courses are lectures. I'd encourage you to learn about the socratic method / case style of teaching to understand what many first year courses are like, if only because you are missing out on a huge literary tool. Stereotypical first year courses are not lectures.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”