Am I old for law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Doda

New

Am I old for law school?

Post by Doda » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 am

is 30 - 31 old for law school? (JD)
I am not afraid of studying itself, but I am worried about my job chances after graduation at 33-34!
I am not American, I do have a bachelor's degree, and a master's degree (both in law). 2-3 years of experience as a lawyer.
How do you see my chances? is it worth the time invested?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: Am I old for law school?

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:35 am

No, it is not too old. However, the older you are, the more important it is that you find a way to finance your school in a way other than massive student loans. You don't want to be paying off law school until you're 50.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 am

Doda wrote:is 30 - 31 old for law school? (JD)
I am not afraid of studying itself, but I am worried about my job chances after graduation at 33-34!
I am not American, I do have a bachelor's degree, and a master's degree (both in law). 2-3 years of experience as a lawyer.
What are your goals? Do you already have a U.S. LL.M.? If not, getting a 1-year U.S. LL.M. is the more typical route for foreign lawyers looking to practice in the States.

Doda

New

Post by Doda » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:08 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Doda wrote:is 30 - 31 old for law school? (JD)
What are your goals? Do you already have a U.S. LL.M.? If not, getting a 1-year U.S. LL.M. is the more typical route for foreign lawyers looking to practice in the States.
I do have U.S LL.M, but as far as I know, it is undesirable in the U.S + I can only take the NY bar exam.

L'orDuCommun

New

Post by L'orDuCommun » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Definitely not old. I entered law school at 31. Neither age nor being an international student were obstacles to getting a job (admittedly, at a large NYC firm).

nylon_law

New

Post by nylon_law » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:40 am

I just submitted a couple of applications for this admissions cycle, and I am in my 40s. 30 is still very young and there is so much that you can accomplish in life. I do not think law schools will consider you as "too old."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”