Need Advice for Patent Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschool99

New

Need Advice for Patent Law

Post by lawschool99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 am

Hello, I graduated last year from a top engineering school in the country with a double major in computer science (BA) and business. After graduation, I'm working in data science/analytics role in a well known tech company in Silicon Valley. I'm extremely interested in pursuing patent law and probably will be applying to law schools this cycle (this would give me about 1.5 years of industry experience before I attend law school next fall). I wanted to get some advice on how I could better prepare to become a patent attorney and if I'm currently taking the right steps. Also, had a few questions.

1) Could having a BA in CS instead of BS hurt?

2) I'm aware that EE is usually more "preferable" than CS at the moment. I did take a few EE courses in college but not too many. Would this be an issue? In that case, should I study and take online EE courses to increase my knowledge in the EE field as well? I considered doing a masters but based on feedback from TLS it does not seem to be worth the time + money and industry experience may be more preferred.

3) Would it be more preferable to be working in software engineering rather than data analytics? I purposely chose data analytics because it was more of a hybrid role like my background and felt I would enjoy such a role more than software engineering.

4) Is 1.5 years in industry considered a bit too "short" for patent law?

Thanks so much!

jhett

Bronze

Re: Need Advice for Patent Law

Post by jhett » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:51 pm

lawschool99 wrote:1) Could having a BA in CS instead of BS hurt?
Not for employers as long as you know how to program and how software works. You do have to check to make sure your degree qualifies you to take the patent bar. The requirements are found here: https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/fil ... ED_GRB.pdf
lawschool99 wrote:2) I'm aware that EE is usually more "preferable" than CS at the moment. I did take a few EE courses in college but not too many. Would this be an issue? In that case, should I study and take online EE courses to increase my knowledge in the EE field as well? I considered doing a masters but based on feedback from TLS it does not seem to be worth the time + money and industry experience may be more preferred.
It's better to pick up EE knowledge on the job. Employers won't give too much credit for some online sources you did in your spare time.
lawschool99 wrote:3) Would it be more preferable to be working in software engineering rather than data analytics? I purposely chose data analytics because it was more of a hybrid role like my background and felt I would enjoy such a role more than software engineering.
Generally, it's better to have knowledge in a variety of technologies rather than super focused in one particular technology. There are some limitations to patentability in data analytics (pure algorithms are not patentable, but software that produces tangible results generally are). See if you can expand your technical knowledge at your company, particularly as it relates to the software/hardware interface.
lawschool99 wrote:4) Is 1.5 years in industry considered a bit too "short" for patent law?
It depends on how much technical knowledge you have gained. If you spent 1.5 years super deep in data analytics/machine learning, it won't be that useful to employees. But if you spent you time being exposed to a variety of technologies, then you are in a better position. The adage "jack of all trades, master of none" applies to patent attorneys. We have a variety of clients in a variety of technologies, and so you need to know the basics of each one and be able to switch between them easily.

lanamerakai

New

Re: Need Advice for Patent Law

Post by lanamerakai » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:11 pm

deleted

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”